Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

goethe.cx posted:

Ken follows Felix from Chapo Trap House. That’s the real reason they won’t let him host

ya know, harsh but fair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013
Just turned it on and immediately got annoyed when mayim said “And that brings us to the end of Single Jeopardy”

Doesn’t even know what the first round is called

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

"single jeopardy" lol

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Wait, it's not called "Once, twice, three times a Jeopardy!"?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

wow goons hating on a successful woman invading their traditionally male 'nerd' space? unexpected

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
*buzzes in* "What ain't it?"

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Man I completely confused The Queen's Gambit with the Crown and was wracking my brain for someone close to the royal family who would consult for a TV show, and landed on Prince Harry. Wasn't until the answers were revealed that I remembered what show they were actually talking about. Man, that would have been a humiliating answer on national TV :doh:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

ninjahedgehog posted:

Man I completely confused The Queen's Gambit with the Crown and was wracking my brain for someone close to the royal family who would consult for a TV show, and landed on Prince Harry. Wasn't until the answers were revealed that I remembered what show they were actually talking about. Man, that would have been a humiliating answer on national TV :doh:

Don't feel bad. I did the same thing.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Mantis42 posted:

wow goons hating on a successful woman invading their traditionally male 'nerd' space? unexpected

Couldn't possibly be that she's bad at hosting, admitted to never having watched the show before taking the job, and is an anti-vax piece of poo poo shilling snake oil brain pills.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The successful woman who invaded Jeopardy was Amy Schneider.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Even if her various repugnant views didn't matter to you she just sucks rear end as a host. She's stiff and awkward and tries to do the 'funny kinda mean nerd' bit at times but is just such a charisma void it just results in awkward poo poo like 'single jeopardy' and her laughing at people and poo poo like that.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
It's not even like this is her first week, or her third week, or her sixth week of hosting and she doesn't even know the loving names of the rounds of the game. Of the show she's hosting.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Is everyone ready for a new tournament format where one of the semifinalists will win their game and not get to go on to the finals?

Because that's what J! is doing next week and no I am not kidding.

https://www.jeopardy.com/contestant-zone/national-college-championship

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
Maybe it's me but I don't see anything on that page except the contestants. This Reddit post from one of the contestants lays out the tournament format.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

There's a banner that's not outright apparent that it's clickable that takes you to this:

So 4 semifinal games, only the 3 winners with the highest totals advance to the finals. Depending on the FJ difficulties, we could see multiple triple-0 games, or players eek into the finals with $1 finishes.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
So they want to favor players who play big rather than those who play safe to get their win? Reduce chances of getting a wet blanket in the final?

Not against it.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Propaniac posted:

Maybe it's me but I don't see anything on that page except the contestants. This Reddit post from one of the contestants lays out the tournament format.

Ugh, thanks, I thought I'd clicked the right link but no.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Mantis42 posted:

She's an anti-vaxxer who uses her phd credentials to hawk snake-oil brain pills, and also wrote an op-ed when MeToo started blaming Weinstein's victims for dressing provocatively, but you're right I probably just don't like her because I'm afraid of getting cooties in my Nerd Sanctum.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Mantis42 posted:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

christmas boots posted:

She's an anti-vaxxer who uses her phd credentials to hawk snake-oil brain pills, and also wrote an op-ed when MeToo started blaming Weinstein's victims for dressing provocatively, but you're right I probably just don't like her because I'm afraid of getting cooties in my Nerd Sanctum.

Oh, and she raised money for bulletproof vests for IDF members so they could continue blowing up Palestinians but yeah it’s her gender we have a problem with.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

Oh, and she raised money for bulletproof vests for IDF members so they could continue blowing up Palestinians but yeah it’s her gender we have a problem with.

Remember during her initial guest host when she giggled at the blatantly pro Israel question ?

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sometimes people are just loving terrible.

Bialyk being one of them.

Hell, I wanna host a game show just to dunk on her all the time.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

They should have let Johnny Gilbert host a week. He has the experience!

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

wa27 posted:

They should have let Johnny Gilbert host a week. He has the experience!

Isn't he like 157 years old and been recording his bits from home?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Isn't he like 157 years old and been recording his bits from home?

put his face on a holo-tube Zordon style, let him ascend to QUIZ MASTER

Context
Sep 11, 2006
Sorry if this has come up before, but do we know why they introduce Bialik as “the host of Jeopardy” vs Ken as “hosting Jeopardy”?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Context posted:

Sorry if this has come up before, but do we know why they introduce Bialik as “the host of Jeopardy” vs Ken as “hosting Jeopardy”?

You know exactly why :smith:

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Speaking of her dumb laugh, did anyone notice during Story Time last night that she continued to laugh for like 30 seconds at her stupid "are you in a band?" joke while the bagpipe guy was trying to answer? It also seemed like the lady at the end asked "did you have any questions?" to Mayim because she doesn't know how to interview guests.

As well, it seems like contestants are not only not having fun this week but when they answer they are often clearly looking at the judges instead of her to see if an answer is correct because Mayim is useless.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

The Sean posted:

Speaking of her dumb laugh, did anyone notice during Story Time last night that she continued to laugh for like 30 seconds at her stupid "are you in a band?" joke while the bagpipe guy was trying to answer? It also seemed like the lady at the end asked "did you have any questions?" to Mayim because she doesn't know how to interview guests.

As well, it seems like contestants are not only not having fun this week but when they answer they are often clearly looking at the judges instead of her to see if an answer is correct because Mayim is useless.

That do you have any questions bit was really funny.

I know they aren't the exact same skill set, but it's kinda shocking that someone who has been acting professionally since childhood is so much worse at "tv small talk" than a guy who just happens to be s tier at trivia. Towards the end of Ken's last run he just seemed effortlessly good and perfect for the role. It was jarring returning to Balik. She comes across so unlikable.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The Sean posted:

It also seemed like the lady at the end asked "did you have any questions?" to Mayim because she doesn't know how to interview guests.

Her super-interesting story was about stopping to see the "world's largest oak bucket" on a road trip... "Do you have any questions" was a joke. :geno:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

1glitch0 posted:

That do you have any questions bit was really funny.

I know they aren't the exact same skill set, but it's kinda shocking that someone who has been acting professionally since childhood is so much worse at "tv small talk" than a guy who just happens to be s tier at trivia. Towards the end of Ken's last run he just seemed effortlessly good and perfect for the role. It was jarring returning to Balik. She comes across so unlikable.

They’re very different skill sets. A closer analogue might be talk-show host, which is another thing not every actor can do—and many talk-show hosts are not great at acting when they try it, or they escaped acting and are good at hosting.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

wa27 posted:

Her super-interesting story was about stopping to see the "world's largest oak bucket" on a road trip... "Do you have any questions" was a joke. :geno:

If I had to guess, Mayim was just staring at her, at that point. I probably would have reacted the same or wondered if I had a booger on my lip or something.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I actually just commented to Dienes last night, "I think she must really suck at the interviews, because I keep fast forwarding too far and have to back up." We never watch that segment, but my muscle memory from Ken hosting keeps taking me way over the mark now, which stood out to me as a weird pattern.

This is definitely related to her not being a fan of the show beforehand (or a contestant like Ken). He knew so much better how that is supposed to go and what it's like to be the contestant trying to talk about your dumb anecdote and he helped them out.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Context posted:

Cuz she is a permanent host of Jeopardy - she has the gig for primetime specials and that isn't going away. Ken is still a guest with no permanent position. Hopefully that will change.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

wa27 posted:

For a Jeopardy story, it was a pretty good bit. They delivered it well, made sure to subtly signal that it was a goofy story while delivering it deadface. I bet as a cocktail story the contestant would have delivered it differently, to a different reception, but J! Story is a different and limited format. As the host, Mayim should have reacted in some way--any way at all--but her boring rear end just stared at her. I do think the contestant was making a joke--but as a coping mechanism to cope with the fact that RoboBialik wasn't programmed to deal with humor (again, her constant laughing at her own joke two contestants later because she's a robot weirdo).

CPColin posted:

If I had to guess, Mayim was just staring at her, at that point. I probably would have reacted the same or wondered if I had a booger on my lip or something.

Yeah, same.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 3, 2022

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
So, the question of the different intros came up in the contestants FB group the other day and it’s actually not what we all think! Apparently in an interview Ken was asked the same thing and he replied that he thought the title should belong to Alex and only Alex, and so he requested that he be introduced differently.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

So, the question of the different intros came up in the contestants FB group the other day and it’s actually not what we all think! Apparently in an interview Ken was asked the same thing and he replied that he thought the title should belong to Alex and only Alex, and so he requested that he be introduced differently.

So…..once again it shows that Mayim has no grasp on jeopardy. Lol.

I will say, respect to Ken for that , but now that Trebek is gone and the guest host fiasco is fading, I think it’s overthinking it a bit.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

HookShot posted:

:unsmith:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

HookShot posted:

Oh wow, that's very unexpected. Ken rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I guess he agrees with my dumb "steward of Jeopardy" joke from a few months ago