Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Nintendo sucks, as do their derivative soundtracks. Preventing people from listening to them is a service to humanity. Now we just need Disney to do the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Soundtracks to all Nintendo games are still easily accessible on Youtube. This is just Nintendo trying to play whack-a-mole but not being fast enough

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Hell, the FFXIV devs are ok with it as long as you slap it on top of in-game footage and it's not just a datamine or monetized. At least there's something there.

Didn't they recently change their policy and demand takedowns of Endwalker songs? Although at least they let the older stuff be grandfathered in.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
well at least they aren't striking down SiIvaGunner, that would be really concerning

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Clarste posted:

Didn't they recently change their policy and demand takedowns of Endwalker songs? Although at least they let the older stuff be grandfathered in.

Not that I know of?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu39ySPk-P8

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

For like the first month after release they were definitely taking down music rips. Obviously didn't get all of them but a few.

Think they might have given up now though.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

got the PR in my inbox, indie people are starting up a new studio focusing on employee wellness and looking to make Journey-type games (the co-founder was a designer on Journey so yeah).

quote:

Co-founders Chris Bell (Journey, What Remains of Edith Finch, Sky: Children of the Light, Way), Lexie Dostal (Dustforce), and Stephen Bell (Blaseball, What Remains of Edith Finch), alongside a talented team of developers from projects such as Spider-Man, Ratchet & Clank, Skyrim, the Fallout series, Ashen, and The Hobbit, are excited to officially announce their remote-first studio: Gardens. Gardens is built on the initiative of growing a studio that’s transparent, sustainable, inclusive, and empowering. The team's core mission is to create vibrant online games that foster meaningful multiplayer moments and relationships between players around the world.

“With Gardens, we wanted to create a studio that cares as much about the health, happiness, and wellbeing of its team members as we do the craftsmanship of the games we create together. Our top priority is making sure our teammates enjoy their lives and are given the tools and resources to grow while creating compelling, well-crafted, thoughtful games that cultivate novel shared experiences between players online. ” - Chris Bell, Co-founder.

Focusing on collective growth, Gardens offers competitive pay, equitable salaries across departments based on years of experience, mentorship, stock options, unlimited PTO, 35-hour work weeks, and robust benefits (including full medical and vision, dental, 401k contributions & more).

Gardens’ upcoming, yet unnamed game, builds upon the special ways members of the team have designed shared online experiences in the past (Journey, Sky: Children of the Light, Ashen, Blaseball, Way), with players crossing paths in a mysterious and magical world driven by the concept art of ma-ko, art direction by Leighton Milne (Ashen, The Hobbit), and an art team led by Ryan Benno (Spider-Man, Ratchet & Clank).

not sure what this means for Hitbox Team, but I assume Spire is dead since it's been in development for, what, 9 years? And there hasn't been an update on the hitbox site in 5 years.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 2, 2022

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Hope it's not an F2P game with in-game purchases

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
dustforce! :hellyeah:

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

got the PR in my inbox, indie people are starting up a new studio focusing on employee wellness and looking to make Journey-type games (the co-founder was a designer on Journey so yeah).

I was confused because they mention having developers that worked on The Hobbit but turns out it isn't the 2003 Vivendi game.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

fez_machine posted:

but the indies are dead or going to die when the last purchase of an indie studio that killed that studio dead was the valve acquisition of the Firewatch studio
I AM STILL VERY ANGRY ABOUT THIS.

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

on the one hand in the valley of the gods and their podcast died the minute valve acquired them, but on the other hand they went on to make half life alyx, which i am told is very good

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Schir posted:

on the one hand in the valley of the gods and their podcast died the minute valve acquired them, but on the other hand they went on to make half life alyx, which i am told is very good

I waited a decade for HL3 and I'd trade Alyx for getting the podcast network back in a heartbeat. :(

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Pirate Jet posted:

Discord is still relatively new on the scene and it doesn’t have much in the way of user investment on its platform. Sure it has things like communities and servers and the like but it has nothing that the apps it came in and replaced (Mumble, Teamspeak, Skype) didn’t have except maybe an easily-cancellable premium subscription. It got to the spot it’s in by being the first chat client in a long time that wasn’t miserable to use, I think any company that buys them out is going to be surprised to find a lot of its user base views it as utterly replaceable - a lesson the company itself learned when they lost a sizeable amount of Nitro subscribers in response to planned NFT integration.

While I wouldn’t classify Discord as still new, you’re absolutely right that it has very low user investment. The majority of the feedback I’ve gotten from player labs has been: “I use discord because it’s the easiest tool to use right now for cross-game organizing and my friends use it. If something better came along, I’d use that instead.” I was expecting much more loyalty because of the communities that exist on it, but it’s not there.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Agrias120 posted:

While I wouldn’t classify Discord as still new, you’re absolutely right that it has very low user investment. The majority of the feedback I’ve gotten from player labs has been: “I use discord because it’s the easiest tool to use right now for cross-game organizing and my friends use it. If something better came along, I’d use that instead.” I was expecting much more loyalty because of the communities that exist on it, but it’s not there.

I run a Discord community and for some reason this past week people have been very much aggressively suggesting we need a backup plan. No one's caring about discord itself, but they want a lifeboat for when Discord goes down. Which I'm like okay, but there's absolutely no reason to expect Discord's gonna suddenly fold or something.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Agrias120 posted:

tbf people have been saying this about facebook basically since day one as well. I don't know how people would even be especially invested in a communication app beyond 1) does it work reliably and 2) are the people i want to communicate with on it. It is like an irc client in that it could be easily replaced with any number of other things that do a similarly effective job and yeah I don't think most users would really care, so long as 1 and 2 are met, but also that low user investment goes two ways: no one is getting lured away because someone is suddenly more invested in some other random glorified irc client, nor is anyone really going to stop using it so long as it continues with the inertia of 1 and 2 above.

Ironically, it's probably company/large communities that seem most invested in having a discord presence because it is so ridiculously useful to keep a bunch of your most diehard, engaged people close by and informed. especially smaller companies or more niche games where every engaged fan away that you have a new product coming out is a likely sale

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Arivia posted:

I run a Discord community and for some reason this past week people have been very much aggressively suggesting we need a backup plan. No one's caring about discord itself, but they want a lifeboat for when Discord goes down. Which I'm like okay, but there's absolutely no reason to expect Discord's gonna suddenly fold or something.

People switched to Discord because the previous options (Skype mainly, and various incarnations of Messenger) actively chased off their audience using them as a casual text chat platform, and had done it several times before as previous services 'update' into unuseability, are bought out and unceremoniously shut down, or otherwise actively drive off the audience that dares to use the software in the way that they want to rather than what the owner wants them to.

This may seem strange but people who've been on the internet long enough are very used to platforms becoming actively hostile to their users, removing features and making it harder to use the software the way people are used to, and try to run off their current userbase in hopes of attracting a theoretical more desirable one.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

The biggest problem Discord has is that, like most of the other platforms that have existed in the past, they have no idea how to make it profitable - and any company that buys it will likely run it into the ground by either requiring premium subscriptions or adding advertising to it. Considering that covers 2 of the 3 major draws (ease of use, free, relatively anonymous), it's hard to see how any potential suitor could be good for the user base.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
they very much have digured it out to make it profitable, charging for emoji and server features makes money hand over fist

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Boba Pearl posted:

they very much have digured it out to make it profitable, charging for emoji and server features makes money hand over fist

Are any of their numbers public? I thought it was still privately held in startup mode.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Discord also keeps shooting its self in the foot the last year being openly supportive of crypto and NFT's, something a majority of users do not like.

Add on most are used to swapping cause of downfalls and strange choices of other platforms before discord means most do not have any loyalty to discord as they have already been shown that means nothing

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

More on Bungie. From Sony Group's earnings call yesterday:

quote:

The strategic significance of this acquisition lies not only in obtaining the highly successful Destiny franchise, as well as major new IP that Bungie is currently developing, but also in incorporating into the Sony Group the expertise and technology that Bungie has developed in the live game services space. We intend to utilize these strengths when developing game IP at the PlayStation Studios and as we expand into the live game services arena.

quote:

Through close collaboration between Bungie and the PlayStation Studios, we aim to launch more than 10 live service games by the fiscal year ending March 31, 2026 (“FY25”).

Sony is going to release 10 GaaS titles in 4 years. Probably a mix of fan-favorite franchises and new stuff. TLOU: Factions 2 is one of them, I guess.

And:

quote:

Catalyzed by the acquisition of Bungie, we intend to accelerate the growth of our first party game software revenue, aiming to more than double the current amount by FY25.

Expectations for doubled game revenue in 4 years, thanks to Bungie's experience in the field. Expect more storefronts, season passes and DLC dungeons in Sony games, I guess?

https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/21q3_sonypre.pdf

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I don't think ditching discord will be as easy as ditching mumble, skype, teamspeak, or the like all were.

Entire communities have stopped having any sort of web presence with the exception of discord. Want to speed run a game, it's all on a discord. Want to get rotations and balance information, it's all on a discord. Stuff that wikis or custom hosting would be presenting are now just a bunch of badly organized channels and pins on a free server.

Discord's replacement will have to also be able to replace those.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

It's been wild watching the evolution of communities going from Messenger, then Skype, then Ventrilo, then Teamspeak, then Mumble, and then finally Discord, with each step adding slightly more features than the last and ultimately culminating in something that offers the features of all previous stages.

It's also been wild watching Discord effectively replace forums, with only minor support needed from Google Docs and the like to replace major effortposts.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I don't think ditching discord will be as easy as ditching mumble, skype, teamspeak, or the like all were.

Entire communities have stopped having any sort of web presence with the exception of discord. Want to speed run a game, it's all on a discord. Want to get rotations and balance information, it's all on a discord. Stuff that wikis or custom hosting would be presenting are now just a bunch of badly organized channels and pins on a free server.

Discord's replacement will have to also be able to replace those.

Discord will absolutely be replaced by something better and the tragedy is that unlike forums or even reddit all that accumulated knowledge will be gone because who the gently caress is going to remember which channel on which server has pins about a specific thing

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Eej posted:

Discord will absolutely be replaced by something better and the tragedy is that unlike forums or even reddit all that accumulated knowledge will be gone because who the gently caress is going to remember which channel on which server has pins about a specific thing

Discord has only been around for 7 years, at most there are 7 years worth of institutional knowledge within any given channel - and most of that either becomes too old to be valuable very quickly, or can be recreated rather quickly. The larger, more vibrant communities will recreate themselves on a new platform (as has happened every other time the platform of choice has changed) due to consistent, long term moderators. The smaller, tight knit communities likely have backup methods of communities.

The main question right now is - what feature or features does Discord lack, that a replacement could bring to the table? I could see some minor, nuanced ones, but I'm not seeing anything major. It integrates with most of the major gaming platforms now (and a lot of non-gaming ones), the text chat is very feature rich. The voice chat isn't perfect, but it's pretty drat good considering it's a distributed offering vs. a bunch of standalone servers (Mumble).

I don't think Discord has grown too dominant to be unkillable yet, like some other social apps. The only reasonable competitor I could see currently is if Slack were to fork a free version for gaming and remove some enterprise level features to prevent companies to take advantage of it. Unless Discord manages to gently caress up somehow, that is... (like getting acquired by Facebook and rolled into Whatsapp)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Shooting Blanks posted:

The main question right now is - what feature or features does Discord lack, that a replacement could bring to the table?
The next whatever-it-is will probably make it simple to embed video captures, without having to use YouTube as an intermediary. On the other hand, having YouTube stuck with the responsibility for vetting videos is probably legally valuable.

Another good feature would be able to create subcommunities on the fly: select N people from this server and create a subserver to, say, play Among us. Dissolve the subserver when the short-term game is done.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The next whatever-it-is will probably make it simple to embed video captures, without having to use YouTube as an intermediary.
You might be right, but that suggests that FAANG will own this platform because video is extremely expensive even for heavily capitalized startups.

YouTube stinks and sucks but their willingness to be a video lake for the world has its advantages. They have effectively infinite bandwidth and storage--which is good, because video will use all of it that you have and then some.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
Actual moderation tools would at least make Discord a little busier trying to keep up.

I think Discord have a huge advantage through integration with paid services where access to a Discord server becomes a paid perk.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The next whatever-it-is will probably make it simple to embed video captures, without having to use YouTube as an intermediary. On the other hand, having YouTube stuck with the responsibility for vetting videos is probably legally valuable.

Another good feature would be able to create subcommunities on the fly: select N people from this server and create a subserver to, say, play Among us. Dissolve the subserver when the short-term game is done.

You can already make private group voice calls with 100% of the features of an actual server as it is.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This is doable as-is though it's slightly clunky. Depending on mod/admin permissions, you can drag people from one voice channel to another, but you can't put them into a voice channel (probably a good thing, would be way too ripe for abuse/harassment). Having someone send out a query of "Do you want to join this voice channel?" isn't functionally different enough from just clicking on whatever voice channel you want to join to really be a game changer.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
The no.1 thing discord is missing is not being able to easily share an imgur video with sound

You have to right click and then go Show Controls and raise the volume. Extremely hosed up imo

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'd like a client that wasn't made in loving electron, the worst thing to happen to desktop applications

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I use discord as an image host because uploading a picture to discord is slightly easier than uploading to imgur.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Shooting Blanks posted:

Discord has only been around for 7 years, at most there are 7 years worth of institutional knowledge within any given channel - and most of that either becomes too old to be valuable very quickly, or can be recreated rather quickly. The larger, more vibrant communities will recreate themselves on a new platform (as has happened every other time the platform of choice has changed) due to consistent, long term moderators. The smaller, tight knit communities likely have backup methods of communities.

The main question right now is - what feature or features does Discord lack, that a replacement could bring to the table? I could see some minor, nuanced ones, but I'm not seeing anything major. It integrates with most of the major gaming platforms now (and a lot of non-gaming ones), the text chat is very feature rich. The voice chat isn't perfect, but it's pretty drat good considering it's a distributed offering vs. a bunch of standalone servers (Mumble).

I don't think Discord has grown too dominant to be unkillable yet, like some other social apps. The only reasonable competitor I could see currently is if Slack were to fork a free version for gaming and remove some enterprise level features to prevent companies to take advantage of it. Unless Discord manages to gently caress up somehow, that is... (like getting acquired by Facebook and rolled into Whatsapp)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1qzIEJAFww

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Clarste posted:

I use discord as an image host because uploading a picture to discord is slightly easier than uploading to imgur.

:same: but also for short movie clips I can post here easily.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Eej posted:

If discord went down I suspect most if not all speedrunning communities would experience a tower of babel style event in terms of knowledge loss, having nothing but old record vods and "maybe the old WR runner still has their strats open in notepad++" to fall back on

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

If discord went down I suspect most if not all speedrunning communities would experience a tower of babel style event in terms of knowledge loss, having nothing but old record vods and "maybe the old WR runner still has their strats open in notepad++" to fall back on

Wouldn't that require Discord to completely die overnight? If it just becomes more poo poo over time like Skype I can't see why speedrunners couldn't just grab whatever info they had on their discords and hop over to whatever chat program pops up to replace it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

BisbyWorl posted:

Wouldn't that require Discord to completely die overnight? If it just becomes more poo poo over time like Skype I can't see why speedrunners couldn't just grab whatever info they had on their discords and hop over to whatever chat program pops up to replace it.

It would and there's been a nice exporter for quite some time too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Stevefin posted:

Discord also keeps shooting its self in the foot the last year being openly supportive of crypto and NFT's, something a majority of users do not like.

Add on most are used to swapping cause of downfalls and strange choices of other platforms before discord means most do not have any loyalty to discord as they have already been shown that means nothing

That IS a funny one since it seems like Discord's devs might have learned how precarious their position is and how much goodwill is paramount.

It's just basic :capitalism: because it doesn't matter if you have a steady business model and happy users- you always have to have MORE, and so you are obligated to regularly try cockamamie schemes to extract more money at the expense of literally everything else, then wonder why they blow up in your face because everyone sees exactly what you're trying to do and doesn't want what you have to offer.

Also why corporate buyouts are usually death sentences, because the new owner demands it make more money and engage in the above, puts it through nonsensical and arbitrary changes because of corporate reasons, or just gets bored of it and shuts the whole thing down because they aren't interested anymore.