Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I'm just not pushing out enough damage when it gets to around 27-28 minutes I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Unholy Vespers is just 2 good. I actually try not to take it cause you're just invincible

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Grondoth posted:

Unholy Vespers is just 2 good. I actually try not to take it cause you're just invincible

I've lost several times with unholy vespers so this is a lie :(

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Kaddish posted:

I'm just not pushing out enough damage when it gets to around 27-28 minutes I think.

Yeah I think your whole build should basically be centered around being as big as possible at like 29 minutes. It seems like Vandalier might actually be super good, since it effectively extends your useful leveling time by a bunch? Otherwise you sort of end up maxing out your power at like 20 minutes in and then just wait to see if your build is good enough for the end game.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah there is definitely a point in the early 20s where you start getting chicken and moneybags and don’t have to think about anything except lawnmowing xp until 30.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kaddish posted:

I've lost several times with unholy vespers so this is a lie :(

I just did because I went for the rainbow bird and after that I only got one more weapon upgrade ever, somehow, and died at 28 minutes

Rip

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Bought this game yesterday.

I don't think I've played it nearly enough.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

woooooo

vespers for life

bone is such a feels-bad-but-is-powerhouse skill

garlic/souleater was a mainstay for me until I realized it's really just wasting two slots; my real MVP this run was Holy Wand, acting like what garlic wishes it was: super good knockback against whatever is close to you

more levels need cheese-items like how the library lets you pick up the empty book as a 7th powerup (and the skull for an 8th cause why not)

glad I got clover because I was going to put, I don't even know in place of the cross/sword but godDAMN does heaven sword carry hard, every time

no idea what my non-library equivalent of this build would be, every powerup felt so good and giving up attractorb is probably the right call but it facilitates powerspiking and in a way lategame survival through pickups

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Attractorb is just a convenience once you get familiar with moving around just enough to maximize killing while taking advantage of xp crystal consolidation and maybe nab a vacuum item or two.

That said it's fun AF to get it on missingn[] when he's already rolled a huge pickup range modifier and you can literally suck up crystals that are off screen.

For more damage in that build, replace it with gloves - they massively increase DPS of both bible and bone (and runetracer).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Tempora Mutantur posted:

garlic/souleater was a mainstay for me until I realized it's really just wasting two slots; my real MVP this run was Holy Wand, acting like what garlic wishes it was: super good knockback against whatever is close to you

Garlic is honestly kind of trash. It makes the early game super smooth, easy, and relaxing, but the early game is where you don't need help. It scales like total poo poo, the evolution effect is unbelievably weak(seriously at least the whip evolution heals you for noticeable amounts), and it requires you take a complete dead slot accessory to evolve in the first place.

Taking it absolutely isn't a "lose the game" choice, but it's definitely a weak slot compared to almost every other weapon once you reach late game, when you could have something like Santa Water, Runetracer, Bible, etc. in that slot.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
This is anecdotal, but the evolved garlic has a pushback effect that can put enemies back in range of the bibles (This may or may not be also be the bible's doing).

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Is someone talking poo poo about garlic

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Tombot posted:

This is anecdotal, but the evolved garlic has a pushback effect that can put enemies back in range of the bibles (This may or may not be also be the bible's doing).

I feel like evolved axe + evolved bible does this better. That plus the evolved knives was the one time I felt god-like on a run. For the last few minutes my movement made no difference. I just stood there and chose where to pour the knives on.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

McCracAttack posted:

I feel like evolved axe + evolved bible does this better.

I agree 100% it's so insanely good and was the source of my pushback along with holy wand holding the line before they came online

so many times the axes' pointblank pushback was the only reason I avoided losing a laurel charge in the final minute

is mort just like, mechanically the strongest overall character? I need to try more Antonio, but like, all the gimmicks are fun, Porta was my go to for a long time with just giant lightning zaps

e:

oh my god whoever said gloves/bracers, wow, I was severely undervaluing projectile speed; vespers + max bracers is nutty

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 3, 2022

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Yeah.

Ascended Bible + Bracers
Ascended Fire Staff
Ascended Axe
Non-ascended Garlic
Duplicator

That’s the combo I tend to go for. Garlic is great but not worth the accessory slot for the ascended version.

Fire staff ascended is insanely strong, and so is spinach, hard to pass this one up.

Axe ascended is also really good and pairs super well with bible and garlic in keeping things off of you.

Bible / vespers is just too good, and even better with duplicator and max bracers.

Anything else on top of this is just icing on the cake. I do enjoy attractorb as you end up incurring less lost gems in running around the map, but not necessary. Bone is definitely a sleeper op weapon with a ton of damage, and scales extremely well with any projectile count, speed, aoe, duration - it’s great when you have 10 huge bones ricocheting around the map dealing a boatload of damage on each hit.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
Don’t sleep on Santa water - with relevant sub items (area, cooldown, effect length) and a duplicator it can create a full ring of firey death all around you. Pair that with runetracer and you have a solid no evolution run going.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Santa Water is secretly the worst item in the game because it starts killing my framerate earlier in the run than any other weapon. :mad:

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

DarthRoblox posted:

Don’t sleep on Santa water - with relevant sub items (area, cooldown, effect length) and a duplicator it can create a full ring of firey death all around you. Pair that with runetracer and you have a solid no evolution run going.

Santa water, lightning ring, and runetracer are genuinely powerful enough to get you through without evolving. I beat the two stages before I evolved anything cause I didn't know how it worked and ended up just avoiding the passive/weapon combinations cause I never put them together.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Oxxidation posted:

me: kills a bat
me: gets a gem
me: i'd like to do this forever for some reason

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Runetracer with the temporary area bonus on the new cleric character is hilarious. Diamonds the size of your character sprite just smashing through everything.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
Wanted to try a no-evolve run on Hyper Library, it worked pretty well.

Runetracer is a goddamn beast when you invest in all the secondaries. Bone is basically 'worse Runetracer' but still decent. I grabbed Whip and Garlic for close-in and bossing but the Garlic in particular barely mattered. Also, un-upgraded Cross with projectile speed covers pretty much the entire screen in a straight line, it's great.

Santa Water was surprisingly good too, if you have enough projectiles/area/duration/whatever they form a nice circle around you if you don't move too much. It's kind of Garlic but with a much, much wider radius around your character.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Kanos posted:

Garlic is honestly kind of trash. It makes the early game super smooth, easy, and relaxing, but the early game is where you don't need help. It scales like total poo poo, the evolution effect is unbelievably weak(seriously at least the whip evolution heals you for noticeable amounts), and it requires you take a complete dead slot accessory to evolve in the first place.

Taking it absolutely isn't a "lose the game" choice, but it's definitely a weak slot compared to almost every other weapon once you reach late game, when you could have something like Santa Water, Runetracer, Bible, etc. in that slot.

It does mean you scale into that late game faster, but yeah it doesn't really matter. The game is so easy when you know what you're doing its not a huge deal though.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

When you get the exact build you wanted to try, but you almost lose it all when the 20 minute boss spawns pretty much on top of you.

Besides that it was really safe game after getting the upgraded bible 10 minutes in. But those were two sweaty minutes until I was done leveling the final item. Not a floor chicken in sight before that.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Feb 3, 2022

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Man, Vandalier really deals a boatload of damage, doesn't it. There was so much beam spam on screen that I finally started dropping frames by the end.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Vandalier also pushes things back really aggressively (by melting them with rainbows rather than actual knockback) so it's worth the insane amount of levels.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I finally won the 3rd map for the first time with Antonio, the extra damage really helps to counteract the 50% hp.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Man, activating the pendant item you find on the ground that makes every gem in the level come flying at you all at once, especially in the late game when hundreds of crystals are lying around, is like video game heroin.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
After playing the Library in Hyper mode, I don't think I can go back. It's great.

edit: Also, Bone is a great weapon. It's like the ice wand but can also hit multiple enemies. What's not to love?
edit edit: Bone needs an Evolved form that makes it fire with no delay... with an updated sprite that looks like a skeleton's upper torso crawling around.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 3, 2022

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Every time you upgrade the bone the skeleton loses one from its sprite until its just a head crawling around.

It's ok dev, you can have that idea for free.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Grondoth posted:

Santa water, lightning ring, and runetracer are genuinely powerful enough to get you through without evolving. I beat the two stages before I evolved anything cause I didn't know how it worked and ended up just avoiding the passive/weapon combinations cause I never put them together.

Yeah don’t sleep on Santa Water or Lightning Ring. Those are great picks, even more so because they’re standalone.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Does anybody else think the Whip's area of effect should be shifted down so that the lower side of the character gets coverage too?
Two whips should fire directly in front and behind the character, then there should be two whips above the character, and then the final two just below the character.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Third World Reagan posted:

Is someone talking poo poo about garlic

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Ruggan posted:

Yeah don’t sleep on Santa Water or Lightning Ring. Those are great picks, even more so because they’re standalone.

Am I missing something on Lightning Ring? It seems like it does good dps on paper but it's randomly rear end blasting some random clump of enemies on the edge of the screen and so it doesn't help at all in clearing a path for you to go in the mid game so you just die if you're relying on it.

At least santa water at high levels creates a pattern that you can use.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm having a lot of fun with gimmick builds in this. Beat the first map by going full bullet hell with Gennaro. Upgraded cross, wand, daggers and runetracer with duplicate make for a hell of a show.

WarpedLichen posted:

Am I missing something on Lightning Ring? It seems like it does good dps on paper but it's randomly rear end blasting some random clump of enemies on the edge of the screen and so it doesn't help at all in clearing a path for you to go in the mid game so you just die if you're relying on it.

It's aoe scales up by 300% with all the upgrades. Add in the candelabra and it doesn't matter where it hits :v:

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

WarpedLichen posted:

I guess it's a matter of how much of a glass cannon you are. There's not really any need for an all-out offense build, so I generally take the shield "weapon" and armor passive item. Those will let you wander from lightning strike to lightning strike without much issue.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Tempora Mutantur posted:

I agree 100% it's so insanely good and was the source of my pushback along with holy wand holding the line before they came online

so many times the axes' pointblank pushback was the only reason I avoided losing a laurel charge in the final minute

is mort just like, mechanically the strongest overall character? I need to try more Antonio, but like, all the gimmicks are fun, Porta was my go to for a long time with just giant lightning zaps

e:

oh my god whoever said gloves/bracers, wow, I was severely undervaluing projectile speed; vespers + max bracers is nutty

I think that he’s the strongest, yeah. So much stuff scales off projectiles, and +3 projectiles is just a ton. And yeah, vespers + evo knife is a really strong combo for basically that reason. Makes it super easy to get a really crazy build going, especially since it also buffs Mort’s base weapon on top of that + buffs runetracer, one of the better weapons in the game.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Vandalier also pushes things back really aggressively (by melting them with rainbows rather than actual knockback) so it's worth the insane amount of levels.

Vandalier kind of feels like free levels at this point? Since I’m going to max out so early otherwise anyways.

WarpedLichen posted:

If you get area bonuses (say if you have evo axe and knife anyways), it gets fairly insane. Cooldown helps it as well. I would mostly get it if it happens to line up well with the upgrades you want anyways.

E: this game inspired me to play some more nova drift, and wow that game is so good too. Such a fan of the trend towards games with short runs that mostly let you just think about your build.

Also people who like this should try SNKRX- it’s not as good, but is a similar idea of “move around the map while the weapons/abilities you’ve chosen autofire”. And for iOS people it’s maybe the closest thing to vampire survival on mobile since we don’t get magic survival.

tildes fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 3, 2022

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

WarpedLichen posted:

At low levels the lightning ring is pretty bad, because it's zapping the mobs on the other side of the screen and not the ones in your face.

At high levels with a few upgrades, it's zapping EVERYTHING.

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004
Beta has a new character and item, both giving a rez (or 2 or 3) when you die. Still haven't managed to kill Death though, at least without cheating.

SmockJoc fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 3, 2022

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

WarpedLichen posted:

Lightning Ring is absolutely not a primary weapon*, but it's a fine support with some cooldown/area/projectile bonuses

*except on Porta during the first five minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

If the teases are to be believed the new passive item is used to evolve santa water.