Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Doctor Jeep posted:

locke is obviously some wetwork hardass motherfucker who is either retired and living quietly as a sheriff (unlikely) or dropped in that position to keep an eye on things for someone (waller?)
the complete lack of societal niceties is because he's a psycho and the hamburglar thing is him being an rear end in a top hat to the detective because he knows she's suspicious of him and he doesn't give a gently caress anymore if she knows that he knows that she knows (lol)

maybe he was a butterfly but that doesn't stop another from taking over the body and killing the first butterfly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I hope that we don't have to end up rooting for literal Nazis. I have faith in Gunn, but don't really want to see anything where the Nazis are portrayed in a sympathetic light or that we're supposed to cheer for them against the butterflies. They all need to die horribly and pathetically.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I assume it's going to be a mutually assured destruction situation. Or they all get absolutely hosed apart from the dad and then he's a big threat for the episode cause he's going after Peacemaker, then the aliens are the focus of the finale.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The nazis (except dad) are probably gonna get overwhelmed by butterflies just like the police station, and then we will get to see them being killed again by Peacemaker. Twice the nazi murder for the price of one!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Codependent Poster posted:

I hope that we don't have to end up rooting for literal Nazis. I have faith in Gunn, but don't really want to see anything where the Nazis are portrayed in a sympathetic light or that we're supposed to cheer for them against the butterflies. They all need to die horribly and pathetically.

I don't think the writer/director who made a black lesbian one of the main characters is going to have us rooting for Nazis at any point. Considering that a fair amount of this show has been Gunn going back to his Troma roots,

itry posted:

Checkhov's butthole

Is the likely scenario imo

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

itry posted:

Checkhov's butthole

it's Gunn, so I feel this is spot on

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

D-Pad posted:

Yeah that was hosed but you also don't expect a beefcake wrestler like him to speak fluent Mandarin, be really good at playing the piano, and have his acting chops. Dude is awesome and he's definitely got a Rock-like career ahead of him.

Cena's kind of a monster of self improvement and doing way more than he needs to. He's done an absolutely absurd amount of Make-a-Wish stuff, I think he's got another language or two that he can speak aside from English and some fairly decent Mandarin, and he started learning Mandarin because WWE wanted to expand into the chinese market more.

His career's never gonna be Rock-level because Rock's got more overall charisma and better acting chops, and has a major lead in securing his A-list status, but I doubt anyone will take his place as the #2 ranked wrestler-turned-actor anytime soon. I didn't know he could play the piano, but as soon as I saw a decent number of shots of him playing I was just like "Yep, that's Cena casually playing some solid piano there." I like that it wasn't an insanely tough song to play on the piano either, since I feel like a lot of those "someone unexpected plays an instrument" moments go too far and have someone bust out an insanely difficult song on whatever instrument they suddenly wander over to and play, when keeping it more grounded and realistic can be more effective.

I think it's a safe bet that this show is going to put him in a position where people are lining up to try to get him to sign on to act in their stuff though, kind of get that sweet "offer only" status and so on.

SimonChris posted:

I wonder what Judomaster's deal is here. He claimed the butterflies weren't what they seemed, but the butterflies he was working for looks to be exactly what they seemed. Why is he working for them, when he is aware of their true nature?

Also, I predict that they will make the nazis fight the butterflies by pointing out that the latter are illegal aliens (and forming a Deep State to boot!).

My general predictions for the show's endgame are that Vigilante dies in the big fight that involves the Nazis and the butterflies at the ranch (Nazis show up because of course Peacemaker's dad has a tracker in his helmet), Gunn finds a way to make the Nazis fight the aliens and not come off as heroes, but more like dumb assholes who got manipulated into helping the heroes and all get killed for doing it, Peacemaker kills his dad using the weaknesses in the armor that Vigilante pointed out, the cow is one hell of a freaky looking thing (that one's kind of a gimmee), and someone starts being taken over by a butterfly and manages to resist it through some weird thing they did to prepare for that possibility or being able to enforce their own consciousness to override the butterfly's control.

Also, to add some comedy to the insanity there will be butterflies flying around that won't be able to get through the Nazi's masks once they cinch them tight or something to keep butterflies from crawling under them, so we'll see them start sneaking under Nazi pants and crawling up butts. That seems like the type of thing that this show would do.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Jerusalem posted:

I loving lost it at that line given the context of their conversation up to that point, haha.

Also that scene in the classroom the proud papa was the untrustworthy janitor, right? :neckbeard:

Yep. Also, I could watch a whole episode of John Cena answering really uncomfortable questions from 10 year olds.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

That is 1000% what will happen and I'm cool with that. Bummed about __Soph__ as I did enjoy what little character was there before but this does give them something to do going forward and in theory moves them past token status and Chekhov's bug in a jar won't be denied. Also if anything ever happens to Eagley I will send a strongly worded tweet to Mr. Gunn about how I'm mad about the CGI bird that got hurt.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Years ago after a evening of gaming myself ad a few friends went to Hooters for wings. There's been WWE event at the city arena and some of the wrestlers had gone to that Hooters as well. While I didn't go and talk to him, Cena was there, hugging kids, high fiving people and in general being a cool rear end dude.

Also, the Rock showed some solid acting chops in his early days and even flexed them on occasion but the last decade he's pretty much played the same character in every film he's made.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
My fervent hope is that the major of the butterflies are good dudes and that a minor plot point of the remainder of the series is the Evergreen Police Department being polite, professional and not racist.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

My fervent hope is that the major of the butterflies are good dudes and that a minor plot point of the remainder of the series is the Evergreen Police Department being polite, professional and not racist.

I mean they just loving murder-flied an entire police department and correctional facility. I don't think they are chill dudes. Also, I'm pretty sure that whole sequence is just so the rest of the series can have an insane, Tromaesque body count,

I really, really want to know what the gently caress was up with Locke. At first I assumed he was a butterfly on Murn's side but this episode shows that he wasn't. I guess he could have just been one of human Murn's former contacts, but his behavior was loving bizarre.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I guess he could have just been one of human Murn's former contacts, but his behavior was loving bizarre.[/spoiler]

I assume he is just a hosed up serial killer type who lucked into going into black ops instead of moving to Gotham.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Hipster Occultist posted:

They've genuinely still got me guessing with these fuckin' butterfly aliens, I'm still not sure who's in the right (if anyone even is).

It's hard not to side with aliens. We already know humans and all life here pretty much sucks. Hard to imagine any aliens coming in and making a worser mess than it was.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Mayhaps they’re doing a “we want peace for all” thing and they have to take over and control everything because we’re fuckups of a species and are incapable of it ourselves? Big bad makes some big play of “we both want the same thing” and so on and so forth.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I really, really want to know what the gently caress was up with Locke. At first I assumed he was a butterfly on Murn's side but this episode shows that he wasn't. I guess he could have just been one of human Murn's former contacts, but his behavior was loving bizarre.[/spoiler]

Locke is someone from human Murn's past.

Alien Murn said that his host was a bad dude.

See also - post-credits scene

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Yeah I do wonder if Locke is so chilling just to remind us how bad Human Murn must've been.

Trying to figure out what to make of the Peacemaker brother death thing? They show his bruised/bloodied fists so it seems like he beat him to death but the foaming at the mouth thing throws me? That made it look like a drug or allergy thing to me. Am I missing something about biology that could lead to that from a beating?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It's possible they were in a fight, and his brother had a seizure due to a hit to the head or something.

Or that they weren't fighting, but someone was picking on him and he was trying to fight back but failing, so his brother helped and ended up dying.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Vigilante's scenes this week really fit the Chris Conrad original casting. Not to take anything away from Freddie Stroma though.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

NowonSA posted:

the cow is one hell of a freaky looking thing (that one's kind of a gimmee)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71kAAVlpENY

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Can't wait for the Nazis and cops to murder each other.

That reminds me, did we get a Lloyd Kaufman cameo yet?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

On the subject of Vigilante, I can't imagine they did it but it occurred to me that with so many scenes with vigilante in full costume and with his face covered, they technically could have only reshot the shots where he had his face showing and ADR'd to fill in when he was masked. That's got to break quite a few industry rules, but it's just a weird situation where it seems technically feasible in this situation where an actor was replaced late into the process.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

So what happened there? Was there an 11th out recasting? Freddie has been killing it imo.

Also why do you all keep calling them nazis? It doesn’t bother me, but a bunch of assholes in white hoods led by a White Dragon is klan; unless that’s some DC thing I’m not aware of.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

They constantly give Nazi salutes to White Dragon, they're both Klan and Nazis because it turns out that's a pretty significant overlap in the Venn Diagram of lovely racist assholes.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Warbird posted:

So what happened there? Was there an 11th out recasting? Freddie has been killing it imo.

Also why do you all keep calling them nazis? It doesn’t bother me, but a bunch of assholes in white hoods led by a White Dragon is klan; unless that’s some DC thing I’m not aware of.

lmfao

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

itry posted:

Checkhov's butthole

I'm gonna go further on this prediction: Murn, who we now know is/was a butterfly, was the one who angrily insisted that they don't go up butts during the orifice powerpoint slide scene, will be the one to crawl up white dragon's butt after dragon impulsively hate-crimes Murn since he can't go in the mouth because of anti-scabies tech. that butterfly will use the nazi power armor to fight the cops/nazi horde. Final scene will be peacemaker and butterfly father trying to be father/son

bonus bit - dying/maimed de-butterflied Murn does some Darth-Vader-dying-on-Death-Star-esque "you we're right about me/I can change/there is good in me" moment, a callback to what butterfly said about Murn, with some character noting the similarity

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Warbird posted:

They had all of Vigilante's scenes (or almost all of them, but I think it might have been literally all of them) shot, then Gunn got it in his hand that Freddie would kill it even better (which I think must be true because drat he's an absolute highlight of the show) and did some full-on 13th hour recasting (certainly the latest recasting I've heard of that isn't a "Well Kevin Spacey's an rear end in a top hat so we gotta reshoot all his scenes for our movie" situation, and is reportedly just based on the director/showrunner thinking another person would be better for a part) and reshot all of Vig's scenes to bring Freddie in to take over the role from another actor.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Warbird posted:

Mayhaps they’re doing a “we want peace for all” thing and they have to take over and control everything because we’re fuckups of a species and are incapable of it ourselves? Big bad makes some big play of “we both want the same thing” and so on and so forth.

That would be my guess. Whatever happened to their planet is probably what they were afraid human were gonna do to our own so they decided to be proactive.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Xelkelvos posted:

That would be my guess. Whatever happened to their planet is probably what they were afraid human were gonna do to our own so they decided to be proactive.

That would track with the only thing we know about the butterfly'd Senator was that he was big on environmentalism.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Definitely getting a "we're taking over the world for your own good" read on the butterflies

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Yeah, it's to mirror Peacemaker's line about he wants peace and he doesn't care who he has to kill to achieve it.

So it makes sense that the series is ultimately about Peacemaker fighting against a more successful version of his previous self.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I want Goff’s favorite color to be an important plot point later on. Like they need to figure out which car or notebook belongs to him. If only they had the time to ask…

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

God getting taken over by a butterfly is terrifying, just the idea that they fly into your mouth and are burrowing into I suppose the roof of your mouth and carving a nice chunk out of your skull, killing you so they can pilot you is grim. Or maybe you're still sort of semi conscious in there which adds a whole other element of terror.

Show is fantastic, James Gunn is as always just really drat good at what he does and I have new respect for John Cena and his acting abilities. I hope he finds some good movie roles after this like Bautista.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 4, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Mover posted:

I want Goff’s favorite color to be an important plot point later on. Like they need to figure out which car or notebook belongs to him. If only they had the time to ask…

There's no Goff anymore. All is Song.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
:aaa:

What an episode. Really sad about Song but I loved the scene of Butterfly Song seemingly trying to comfort the other detective, knowing what was about to happen.

I hope end of the season reveals that while Peacemaker doesn't want to kill anymore, he'll totally make an exception for evil aliens...and Nazis. :black101:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

cant cook creole bream posted:

There's no Goff anymore. All is Song.

I kind of love/hate that Song managed to get in one really good burn on Auggie only to have her partner step on it. Then she got Butterflied.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Plus the failed fistbump right after that too! :allears:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The Bautista erasure above is disgusting! He’s the #1 wrestler turned actor since he’s not just one note like a the Rock. Not to take away from Cena but he’s nowhere near the range of Bautista.

Anyways…

Episode was incredible and I’m at the edge of my seat needing more. There’s so much potential here!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

NowonSA posted:

On the subject of Vigilante, I can't imagine they did it but it occurred to me that with so many scenes with vigilante in full costume and with his face covered, they technically could have only reshot the shots where he had his face showing and ADR'd to fill in when he was masked. That's got to break quite a few industry rules, but it's just a weird situation where it seems technically feasible in this situation where an actor was replaced late into the process.

It doesn't seem to be that big of a deal. The V for Vendetta movie was originally going to have James Purefoy play V but he got replaced by Hugo Weaving early in production. They ended up just using some of the already shot footage with new VO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Jerusalem posted:

Plus the failed fistbump right after that too! :allears:

That was also adorable. I also kind of love how we kind of end up cheering for Sophie and Larry to defy their obviously evil captain even though that means letting Auggie out of jail and going after Chris