Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Similarly FF7R has a scene in which you beat up a bunch of guards with a sword the size of a person, and then there's a cutscene in which Tifa pleads with Cloud not to kill them.

Also if it's the scene I think you're thinking about, Tifa is pleading for Cloud not to kill Johnny, the guy the guards were about to rough up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Hel posted:

The problem with that is the because of the long time frame, the people who started it and laid the foundations aren't going to be the same people the finish it. So it's not going to be a decade long essay, it's going to be 3-4 badly hacked together ones.

I think that's less of an issue with Japanese studios than it is with Western ones.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

moosecow333 posted:

Argh, Scarecrow will not shut the hell up. All he does is sit on the Gotham wide PA system and drone on and on about how I’m a failure and the city is soon to be doomed, he’s been doing it literally all game.

Jonathan Crane really loves the sound of his own voice.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

christmas boots posted:

I think that's less of an issue with Japanese studios than it is with Western ones.

Considering the Square Enix has already lost good people because they got tired of being on the FFXV salvage team and the fact that people change over time, so that even if you have the same names on the team, they are probably not really the same "people" and might have different ideas and mindsets, I'd still say that it's an issue in this case, also you know stuff like office politics and such might change the path of the later episodes of the remake.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

moosecow333 posted:

Argh, Scarecrow will not shut the hell up. All he does is sit on the Gotham wide PA system and drone on and on about how I’m a failure and the city is soon to be doomed, he’s been doing it literally all game.

Hey, remember all those PA announcements from Joker in Asylum? And then more of the same with Strange in City?

Well, I know you MUST have loved them, everyone did, so here's more of the same in Knight!

I can't remember if Black Mask/Joker-Pretending-to-be-Black-Mask did that in Origins or not. I don't think so

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Humankind's gimmick of choosing an entirely new culture every stage of the game sucks rear end, and just completely takes away any sense of feeling like you're growing as a nation. Suddenly and arbitrarily switching from agrarian farmers to expansionist warmongers and then to peaceful scientists, all with totally different visual styles, really takes me out of the game.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

peaceful scientists

Ahahahahahahahaha

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Hel posted:

Considering the Square Enix has already lost good people because they got tired of being on the FFXV salvage team and the fact that people change over time, so that even if you have the same names on the team, they are probably not really the same "people" and might have different ideas and mindsets, I'd still say that it's an issue in this case, also you know stuff like office politics and such might change the path of the later episodes of the remake.

Oh, I didn't bother to fact check my opinion at all before I shat it out on the internet. Apologies if I gave the wrong impression.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The new Pokeyman game has some of the most annoying and obtuse evolution methods, like finding a rare item that you can only get by digging it up randomly with your item finder equivalent and then only being able to use it on, I poo poo you not, the night of the full moon

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Yakuza 3 forcing you to play a round of golf to proceed is some circle of hell bullshit.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

thetoughestbean posted:

The new Pokeyman game has some of the most annoying and obtuse evolution methods, like finding a rare item that you can only get by digging it up randomly with your item finder equivalent and then only being able to use it on, I poo poo you not, the night of the full moon

Like as in in game full moon or real life full moon?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pokemon legends arceus:

Enemy pokemon who kill thenselves don't count towards 'defeated' in the pokedex.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Yakuza 3 forcing you to play a round of golf to proceed is some circle of hell bullshit.

I thought it was gonna be terrible, but unlimited mulligans made it go by fast. Not great, but I have *much* worse complaints about the series forcing you into the first round of its side activities.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Zil posted:

Like as in in game full moon or real life full moon?

Thankfully it’s in the in game full moon, it drops the series of tradition of having the in game clock match the system clock

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

I just started Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning. I played like an hour of it on an XBox 360 about a decade ago. Heard it was a pretty good off-AAA title or whatever. I think I'm going to enjoy it, but man, this is going to suck:

I can travel faster by rolling than just by running. So it's going to be fuckin somersaulting all throughout these kingdoms. I know I don't have to do it, but it's compulsory; if I'm choosing instead to just run, my brain screams DODGING IS WAY MORE EFFICIENT YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG so it's going to be a lot of "Hunhh!!" and "Hooff!" for the next forty hours.

It's how I got around in Nier, also. And I used the spear which had like its own lunge attack, so I could fuckin zip around that world by rolling and thrusting and rolling and thrusting.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

credburn posted:

I just started Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning. I played like an hour of it on an XBox 360 about a decade ago. Heard it was a pretty good off-AAA title or whatever. I think I'm going to enjoy it, but man, this is going to suck:

I can travel faster by rolling than just by running. So it's going to be fuckin somersaulting all throughout these kingdoms. I know I don't have to do it, but it's compulsory; if I'm choosing instead to just run, my brain screams DODGING IS WAY MORE EFFICIENT YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG so it's going to be a lot of "Hunhh!!" and "Hooff!" for the next forty hours.

It's how I got around in Nier, also. And I used the spear which had like its own lunge attack, so I could fuckin zip around that world by rolling and thrusting and rolling and thrusting.

sounds like a great game!

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Playing the Yakuza 3 remaster made me finally get why people kept calling it Japanese GTA, because their insistent pushing you to play garbage minigames really is the same, even if nothing else is.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I wish the Pokedex was organized better in Legends. I'm trying to fill out entries but if I wanna check on them I gotta scroll through the whole index to find them. I wish they gave me the option of just seeing the entries of Pokemon I currently have in my lineup.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
Motherfucking Teostra is dragging Monster hunter: World down for me. "Use the environment to your advantage", the game tells me - the only environmental thing in this lovely, tiny flat arena is the lava fountain that keeps blasting me in the air. gently caress this fight.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
I think the only environmental thing to use against teostra is the stalactites if you fight him in that one room.

I think some people have trouble against him but he's easy if you know how to use insect glaive.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

one thing that goes a long way for teostra is stun resist 3. feels like the fucker stuns way more than most other monsters and it can easily be the difference between carting or not. 20 fire resist will make you immune to fireblight (you can get to 5 fire resist and then eat the veggie platter to get to 20). combined these give you much more of a chance to be able to heal and survive.

another tip is that you can flash bomb him out of the air when he does his nova, which essentially turns that attack into a bunch of free damage.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Sieges in Total Warhammer 2 are wack and I am amazed that CA never really looked into how poorly these are designed.

I am attacking a Skaven city, there are a whole bunch of towers off on the right side. However all the way over here on the left side there is a single tower that might be able to shoot you. Sure, you start farther, but I'm ok waiting an extra 30 seconds for my units to rush the walls if I'm not being shot at. Especially because...

That wall that is facing me? The majority of that wall you cannot put any units on. You can place a unit on that corner to face your attacker, but as you can see here the AI didn't do that. So I am gonna just walk on over unchallenged and throw my ladders up. Also thats another thing which further makes sieges a joke. Why wait a turn to get a battering ram or siege tower when you can bring a single artillery or a monster unit that can destroy gates so the game will allow you to attack and just rush the walls with ladders?

This is the worst example, but other places its a no brainer to just put all your units on one side that will only have one or two towers firing at you.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Leal posted:

Sieges in Total Warhammer 2 are wack

Rather reminds me of the incredibly one-sided bridge battles in Shogun: Total War. Was it possible to lose a battle if there was a bridge?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Catpain Slack posted:

Motherfucking Teostra is dragging Monster hunter: World down for me. "Use the environment to your advantage", the game tells me - the only environmental thing in this lovely, tiny flat arena is the lava fountain that keeps blasting me in the air. gently caress this fight.

Wait till you meet Lunastra, who is Teo but explodes a lot more and is faster.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Honestly further Final Fantasy 7 Remake chapters could take a giant dump not just on the original, but also somehow kill off or warp characters from other games in the series, and I would barely care just because it has the best combat system and feel of any JRPG I've ever played.

Except for the bit where there's no jump button, characters just kind of try to auto-jump to hit some flying enemies and it doesn't always work out. That's my little thing.

Otherwise, great stuff.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You're saying that like Square-Enix hasn't done it before

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I didn't really enjoy the FF7R battle system. It was...okay. Like, the general system was fine, but the enemies were just way too damage-spongy. Fighting optimally and still having to hit a random encounter enemy a dozen+ times kind of sucks

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
For gwent thronebreaker, do I really have to go around clicking on all this dumb bullshit??? I just wanna play cards and puzzles and stuff!

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Kit Walker posted:

I didn't really enjoy the FF7R battle system. It was...okay. Like, the general system was fine, but the enemies were just way too damage-spongy. Fighting optimally and still having to hit a random encounter enemy a dozen+ times kind of sucks

I know I'm in a tiny minority here, but I hated FF7R's combat. I played on normal difficulty and I felt like I was constantly being stun locked or falling over and having control taken away from me. I never felt like I was using the right person at the right time or that I could do the move I needed to do when I needed to do it. The whole thing just felt a big incomprehensible mess. The worst was the boss fight in the spooky train station, I nearly broke my controller. I eventually quit after the big fight to save the town from destruction because I just wasn't enjoying the game anymore.

I'm fairly sure this is just me being Bad At Videogames though, since I've never really heard anyone else complain about this :shobon:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
FF7R's combat is really bad you're not alone

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I've been replaying Freelancer and most of what I have to say about it belongs in the sister thread. But this is something I noticed last night and it's bothered me.

In the section of the map that belongs to the Space Japanese, nearly all the stations are exact copies of one another in terms of stuff they sell. All the trade goods are Water, Oxygen, and H-Fuel, while all the equipment dealers offer the same generic set of guns and shields. It's kind of bizarre because Space Britain and Space America both have extremely wide selections of stuff to trade.

It's actually a mite annoying to have to grind money for levels in that part of the map because you have to go back the way you came to actually get any cash from trades.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I was warming up to God of War until I entered the lake area and encountered a) three million upgrade paths and b) enemies buffed with rapid regenerating health by Nightmares that you have to beat out of them and I decided I didn't really want any more of this, it's neither combat nor a gameplay loop I enjoy and gaming time is at a premium. Bet I wasn't going to get to kill the world serpent either like old God of War shouldn't have any kind of qualms about. Maybe I'll go pick up the old PS3 remasters sometime.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Video game awards mean poo poo, I know, but I still don't understand how God of War won so many accolades. Like, it eventually gets to be alright, but it's not amazing.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

the thing that dragged down god of war to me is picking up runes that do like 1% more frost damage on a full moon or whatever and you have to upgrade gear and, christ, why is AAA gaming space entrenching itself so deeply on this stuff

the same thing happened to me with control. +3% reload speed on one gun. a dozen skill trees. my brain just completely slides off. i just want a game, not this incremental nonsense.

[goes back to monster hunter]

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

My Lovely Horse posted:

I was warming up to God of War until I entered the lake area and encountered a) three million upgrade paths and b) enemies buffed with rapid regenerating health by Nightmares that you have to beat out of them and I decided I didn't really want any more of this, it's neither combat nor a gameplay loop I enjoy and gaming time is at a premium. Bet I wasn't going to get to kill the world serpent either like old God of War shouldn't have any kind of qualms about. Maybe I'll go pick up the old PS3 remasters sometime.

I also bounced off God of War once I got to the lake. I think it really kills the momentum.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Kaubocks posted:

the thing that dragged down god of war to me is picking up runes that do like 1% more frost damage on a full moon or whatever and you have to upgrade gear and, christ, why is AAA gaming space entrenching itself so deeply on this stuff

the same thing happened to me with control. +3% reload speed on one gun. a dozen skill trees. my brain just completely slides off. i just want a game, not this incremental nonsense.

[goes back to monster hunter]

I'm down for incremental stat increases as long as its persistent. If I level up and I get 1% more damage, cool, I'm alright with that. But I loving hate trying to work out if a 4% frost damage bonus is actually more beneficial than a 2% increased damage or whatever like gently caress that. Shadow Warrior 2 was a fun game but at a certain point I stopped paying any attention at all to the upgrades, since they're all modular and have suuuuuch small and specific differences from one another.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

credburn posted:

I'm down for incremental stat increases as long as its persistent. If I level up and I get 1% more damage, cool, I'm alright with that. But I loving hate trying to work out if a 4% frost damage bonus is actually more beneficial than a 2% increased damage or whatever like gently caress that. Shadow Warrior 2 was a fun game but at a certain point I stopped paying any attention at all to the upgrades, since they're all modular and have suuuuuch small and specific differences from one another.

Any game that does that should have like a little side menu that pops up that shows you what your new damage is going to be (against each enemy type if applicable)

So like it would show that maybe the 2% translates to four more damage per swing, and maybe the frost damage only means 2 more damage but against a fire golem or whatever it would mean 6 more. That way I can still make decisions about trade offs but I have a better way of knowing what that’s going to result in.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

kazil posted:

Video game awards mean poo poo, I know, but I still don't understand how God of War won so many accolades. Like, it eventually gets to be alright, but it's not amazing.

My pet theory is that it's because most currently active game critics are dudes who grew up with the earlier god of wars and are now at the age where they're settling down and having children. So naturally a new GoW which has some fatherhood themes will seem like the deepest and most relatable poo poo ever to them.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Gerblyn posted:

I know I'm in a tiny minority here, but I hated FF7R's combat. I played on normal difficulty and I felt like I was constantly being stun locked or falling over and having control taken away from me. I never felt like I was using the right person at the right time or that I could do the move I needed to do when I needed to do it. The whole thing just felt a big incomprehensible mess. The worst was the boss fight in the spooky train station, I nearly broke my controller. I eventually quit after the big fight to save the town from destruction because I just wasn't enjoying the game anymore.

I'm fairly sure this is just me being Bad At Videogames though, since I've never really heard anyone else complain about this :shobon:

You're not alone. There's a seed of something good to the combat but it really just doesn't work and fights like the spooky train graveyard fight really hammer it home how awkward the combat is.

kazil posted:

Most of the websites / magazines /whatever giving out the awards are the same ones doing previews for games and breaking new game announcements. It pays off for them to play nice and give big companies big awards, because that means those companies will play nice with them and give them early review copies and previews and what-have-you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

kazil posted:

He says "boy" a lot, how can you not love it?