Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I mean, he's literally playing Nolan North. Aiden was in one of the DLC's for DL1, and he was played by North there. Now he's back in DL2, but they have a sound-alike imitating North.

Is North tied up with Troy Baker in his unionization thing? I fully support workers right to unionize, I'm in one myself, but Troy Baker has started to go a bit batshit with his demands, and the devs might not have wanted to get involved with that if North is partnering with him.

wut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I don't disagree with you, I just don't really see why you think it's such a big deal :shrug:

It's not that it's a big deal, just that if they want North, use him. Otherwise if you're giving another actor a chance, let him develop a unique voice for the character rather than imitate one of the most overused and generic voices out there.

I can't imagine anyone cared enough about that old DLC that they had to make sure the character had the exact same voice.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Yea fair enough. I guess I'm just completely conditioned to every voice either sounding like Nolan North or Steve Blum.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It's not that it's a big deal, just that if they want North, use him. Otherwise if you're giving another actor a chance, let him develop a unique voice for the character rather than imitate one of the most overused and generic voices out there.

I can't imagine anyone cared enough about that old DLC that they had to make sure the character had the exact same voice.

Also no one gives a poo poo shut up.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Big Beef City posted:

Also no one gives a poo poo shut up.

Listen, pal. If you're trying to make me cry, well then it worked. Teardrops all over my keyboard.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

looking forward to playing this bad game in an hour

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

explosivo posted:

looking forward to playing this bad game in an hour

Same, except replace "playing" with "paying half price for" and "an hour" with "a month or so"

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Unlucky7 posted:

Same, except replace "playing" with "paying half price for" and "an hour" with "a month or so"

I don't think I've ever seen a game go on that deep of a discount that quickly, except I guess for games that have catastrophically failed. Even Ubisoft games tend to take around six months to a year to get discounted more than 25%.

That being said, this game and this month are the perfect examples of a game you would want to wait to play and a time you would want to play something else.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I think Far Cry 6 had some pretty steep discounts not long after launch. Which tells you exactly how well that title did. I'm a sucker for open world games that you can just fart around in and collect poo poo and make numbers goes up, and even I bounced off FC6 after only about 2 hours.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
It is unpacking on Steam. Time to drop kick zombies :black101:

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I can't play until like Saturday night so somebody tell me it's real good

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I mean, he's literally playing Nolan North. Aiden was in one of the DLC's for DL1, and he was played by North there. Now he's back in DL2, but they have a sound-alike imitating North.

Nolan North's character in the "Cuisine & Cargo" DLC was named Bernard Smith.

Aiden in DL2 is explicitly young enough that he doesn't have any strong memories of what life was like before the worldwide outbreak. There are a couple of early side quests that deal with that; he doesn't know what mobile apps were and there's a funny conversation with a lady who makes perfume where she has to explain what "new car smell" is to him. If there was a character named Aiden in DL somewhere, this explicitly isn't him.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Raytracing enabled on High - DLSS balanced at 3440x1440p is a no-go for me. 3070 and 5800x. Raytracing off and everything high is smooth 80+ fps though.

It makes no sense there are no guns left in this world, only 15 years after the collapse or whatever.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
I loled when There's a "Who do you voodoo" record in the intro house. They still remember Dead Island!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Kaddish posted:

It makes no sense there are no guns left in this world, only 15 years after the collapse or whatever.

It's not the world so much as it's this city. You're somewhere in continental Europe, the city was locked down for vaccine research before things got really bad, and a couple of other things happened. There's a side quest about it in the first area that I just did last night.

Back when the army was in charge, they tried to confiscate arms from the civilian population, and the result was an event that's now known as the "March Massacre" where over 60 people died. The army ended up with at least most of the weapons and ammunition, and now it's been over a decade and the ammunition's run out.

There's actually a pretty easy-to-find one-handed mace that's made from what looks like a pistol with a nightstick grafted onto the slide.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Wanderer posted:

It's not the world so much as it's this city. You're somewhere in continental Europe, the city was locked down for vaccine research before things got really bad, and a couple of other things happened. There's a side quest about it in the first area that I just did last night.

Back when the army was in charge, they tried to confiscate arms from the civilian population, and the result was an event that's now known as the "March Massacre" where over 60 people died. The army ended up with at least most of the weapons and ammunition, and now it's been over a decade and the ammunition's run out.

There's actually a pretty easy-to-find one-handed mace that's made from what looks like a pistol with a nightstick grafted onto the slide.

Ah ok. I didn’t read your spoiler but was hoping it would be be explained.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

I have a 3080 and god drat this game runs like poo poo.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
What the hell, why isn't this playable on PS5? According to Techland's map, it should be playable as of an hour and a half ago.

The timer says it'll be playable at midnight my time?

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

King of Solomon posted:

What the hell, why isn't this playable on PS5? According to Techland's map, it should be playable as of an hour and a half ago.

The timer says it'll be playable at midnight my time?

That map is for PC release times. It says on bottom left of the map that for consoles, it releases at midnight local time. Release date isn't officially until Feb 4.

edit: whoops, bottom left of map

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ihatepants posted:

That map is for PC release. It says on bottom right of the map that for consoles, it releases at midnight local time. Release date isn't officially until Feb 4.

Goddamn it. I thought the release date was Feb 2, too. That's so annoying.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

I have a 3080 and god drat this game runs like poo poo.

3070 here and pretty much same. DLSS turned on and everything. Turned a few things down and it's playable at least.

Haven't had too many bugs so far, but game seems pretty fun from what I've played.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
so has anyone played this poo poo. is it good. should I buy it. I kinda wanna buy it. But I"m also a little drunk. Which isn't the best state to be in when making such decisions

also I have a 3070 and if this not-even-that-good-looking game runs like poo poo that's totally hosed

Protocol7 posted:

3070 here and pretty much same. DLSS turned on and everything. Turned a few things down and it's playable at least.

Haven't had too many bugs so far, but game seems pretty fun from what I've played.

what resolution are you at? I play on a tv which locks to 60 Hz and 1080p which tends to help with this kind of thing. Think I'll have to turn poo poo down?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Play posted:

what resolution are you at? I play on a tv which locks to 60 Hz and 1080p which tends to help with this kind of thing. Think I'll have to turn poo poo down?

I do play at 3440x1440 ultrawide which is a bit heavy for the 3070 at times.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

LOL they made drop kicks even more powerful in this game because you don't even need a running start to do them anymore.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

well it looks like the servers are hosed currently for online play, at least on pc

Play
Apr 25, 2006

ehh ill buy it and if it doesn't run well or i dont like it ill return it. problem solved. just gotta watch that clock

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
DL2 runs great and looks great so far :)

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I don't understand all the graphics settings in depth stuff but I turned on the FSR Quality upscaling thing and got about a 40 FPS increase so thats a good setting I think.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Mr. Pool posted:

DL2 runs great and looks great so far :)

Yeah, I was waiting to see if the city sections would wreck my fps but it seems to run fine. Really enjoying this so far.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Also I got a pre-order machete that's pretty decent and it still had durability like regular gear but there's a timer in your stash when you grab it so you can probably just spawn new one when it runs out.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Pwnstar posted:

I don't understand all the graphics settings in depth stuff but I turned on the FSR Quality upscaling thing and got about a 40 FPS increase so thats a good setting I think.

FSR basically just means you're playing at a lower resolution and stretching the result to fit your screensize, except ui which should stay native. it's a primitive way of upscaling. If you can, try DLSS instead (you need an nvidia card). It'll probably net you less fps, but might look sharper (though apparently it's a bit buggy atm).

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Wanderer posted:

Nolan North's character in the "Cuisine & Cargo" DLC was named Bernard Smith.

Aiden in DL2 is explicitly young enough that he doesn't have any strong memories of what life was like before the worldwide outbreak. There are a couple of early side quests that deal with that; he doesn't know what mobile apps were and there's a funny conversation with a lady who makes perfume where she has to explain what "new car smell" is to him. If there was a character named Aiden in DL somewhere, this explicitly isn't him.

You're right, I'm getting my Aidens mixed... sort of. That Hellraid DLC for DL1 was originally supposed to be a standalone title, with Nolan playing the main character Aiden. Then it bizarrely got put in DL1 as a DLC, and I'm getting that North mixed up with his character from Cuisine as you mentioned.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

all the reviewers mentioned that the main character super sucks, is not really notable in any way and is basically about as generic as it gets

so who cares which aiden it is

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

adult voice actors doing kids voices is always great and not at all damaging to how serious you can take a story

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
All kids voices should be Catbug.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Qmass posted:

adult voice actors doing kids voices is always great and not at all damaging to how serious you can take a story

this but 99% of kids trying to voice act

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The voice actors are pretty bad in this but my friend and I were having a good time making fun of them. Co-op worked alright with a couple bugs/glitches. I had to look up what the gently caress an "amortizer" was because it told me to jump in them and apparently it's a serbo-croatian word for "shock absorber".

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnAn5TRz_2g

This seemed to net me 10-20fps on my 3080 founders edition at 1440 with no decrease in quality. The geforce experience settings ran fineish before I changed over.

You are not going to get 144 fps, but I think it runs better than cyberpunk so far.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

There are some pretty funny glitches where a zombies head will just float frozen in the air after you kill them, or their heads will just randomly blink out of existence 5 seconds after they die. Haven't had anything that's actually harmful so far despite many reviews cautioning against the bugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

Played for three hours or so tonight. Game seems pretty good so far if you enjoyed the first one. Night time was is pretty tense with that timer constantly ticking down while you grab that sweet loot. Exploring is also pretty fun just seeing what you can grab. I've got a 3080 and I'm running everything in rt and ultra aside from one thing I think with dlss quality and I'm getting a steady 60 fps.