Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Then on the other hand, you have locker room bullying that would put fraternity hazing to shame

The Steiner brothers were notoriously some of the worst offenders for this poo poo.

Like, trying to stick pencils up peoples buttholes level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

gbs but from 2004 posted:

hell yeah these 2 posts was the poo poo I was looking for. Hhh is racist?

HHH: *To Booker T, a Black man and one of the most popular wrestlers of the late '90s and '00s* "People like you don't get to be champion."

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Vince = DJT Sr
Triple H = Eric
Shane = DJT Jr
Stephanie = Ivanka

:aaaaa:

Straight up, all that poo poo about Trump being Vince McMahon's half-brother makes too much sense.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

MrQwerty posted:

The Steiner brothers were notoriously some of the worst offenders for this poo poo.

Like, trying to stick pencils up peoples buttholes level.

Jesus gently caress :stare:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Still lol that apparently Vince's dad cucked Trump's dad and they may actually be brothers

WHAT

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Infidel Castro posted:

Nothing on WWE TV goes on without Vince or Bruce giving the OK so it's 100% Shane taking the fall.

If it's one thing Shane knows how to do, it's take a fall.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Gotta say, I was under the impression that wrestling stopped having villains like "The Communist!", "The Foreigner!", or "The [Insert Thing That Scares Old People!]" after we moved past... the 80s.

Oh honey, let me tell you about MUHAMMAD HASSAN.

First off, this person's real name is Marc Copani, and they are Italian-American. So there's that.

Now, this character came around after - you guessed it - 9/11. He appeared in filmed vignettes where he talked about the rise of Islamophobia after 9/11 and how he and "his people" were being treated like terrorists and asked for people to give him a chance to show that he is, and always has been, a proud American. Then he had his message translated by his manager, Daivari, into Arabic (note: it was Farsi, because Daivari is Persian).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0CZYzWD7u0

Naturally, the crowd loving hated them. Which they were supposed to, because this was a villain character.

As you can see in the vignettes, they become more angry and hostile in their message, going from "Please stop treating us like poo poo." to "Keep being racist. See what happens." to "gently caress you and gently caress America." but the overall message remained pretty fair and reasonable if you ask me. An Arab-American becoming bitter and resentful as their own country develops more and more hostility against him and his people? Honestly, this was played pretty drat straight and, like, way more respectfully than most characters in wrestling (which is to say, still not great), because they didn't need to embellish. The average wrestling fan was inclined to hate him for the exact things he was pointing out. It would be brilliant if it wasn't so sad.

Here's his debut in front of a televised crowd. He interrupts Mick Foley who is out there promoting his book and licking the boots of the US military.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHTrVeKDgAo

You can see the character start to incorporate more hate and poo poo-talking to generate more heat, and this would continue as a means to distance the character from their valid and justified comments and make them more of a general hateful rear end in a top hat, so that the arguments could be made that "No, people don't hate you because they're racist. People hate you because you're assholes."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyHCVp3J55s

OK long story short WWE made him into not just a terrorist, but a MAGICAL terrorist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwCUSCTG6gk

This aired the same day as the London bombings. Following this, Hassan was kept off television due to network demands, and was essentially killed off on the pay-per-view event that was coming up and then eventually released from the company, and Copani retired from wrestling. Funnily enough, Daivari would remain in WWE and on TV for another two years.

Apparently Hassan was planned to become the youngest World Heavyweight Champion ever at Wrestlemania, so he went from being a potential future champion to being completely thrown under the bus.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 3, 2022

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Jamesman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwCUSCTG6gk

This aired the same day as the London bombings. Following this, Hassan was kept off television do to network demands, and was essentially killed off on the pay-per-view event that was coming up and then eventually released from the company, and Copani retired from wrestling. Funnily enough, Daivari would remain in WWE and on TV for another two years.

It was taped on a Tuesday to air on a Thursday. They knew about the London bombings and still showed the whole thing.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Jamesman posted:

Here's his debut in front of a televised crowd. He interrupts Mick Foley who is out there promoting his book and licking the boots of the US military.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHTrVeKDgAo

Is this the one where Foley screams I BELIEVE IN AMERICA

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I dunno how true this is because I bet both sides are working journalists to make their account the "right" one, but there's some interesting tidbits in here

https://wrestlingnews.co/wwe-news/s...e-royal-rumble/

Shane McMahon pushed back on Vince McMahon’s WWE Raw/Elimination Chamber plans, backstage issues were a problem long before Royal Rumble

quote:

Wade Keller posted an audio update on Shane McMahon on PWTorch.com. Keller noted that things got really bad between Shane and his father Vince McMahon at the Royal Rumble but there were issues before the pay-per-view.

“Things really unraveled with him and his dad on Saturday,” Keller said. “Things were not good, according to what I heard.”

Keller continued, “If you’ve been listening carefully to me in the last month or two, you would have gotten the impression there was little chance Shane would have been at the Royal Rumble this weekend, or in WWE’s plans. I was pretty surprised when he showed up and then there were reports that he was going to be in a storyline that would weave itself all the way to Wrestlemania because of what I’ve been hearing about Shane’s status in the company, and his relationship with his dad in particular.”

Keller said, “This was almost a last straw for a lot of people in WWE when it comes to Shane [and] his dad, of course, being the final decision maker on that front. So the story is for the third year in a row he was brought in to help produce the Royal Rumble. It’s sort of a dad doing a favor to his son…Shane’s creative ideas over the decades have been laughed at behind his back. I’ve reported that for decades. He was never seen as having a good creative wrestling mind. That has carried over even into his 50s when trying to help produce the Royal Rumble.”

“This was an … unexpected, sharp increase in disruptiveness in bad ideas on Saturday,” Keller said. “From what I’m told directly from people there, he was really self-centered. It was all about him [and] his ideas, and he didn’t get caught up on what the plans were for the match. He didn’t know was going on TV that was building to certain moments. And he just pulled the McMahon card with the match producers wanting things to be done his way because why else would Shane-O-Mac be brought in, if not to basically dictate something, a major chapter involving him in the match. And so he did. And it got to the point where there were heated arguments with people who felt that they could push back and a lot of stress and strife and distractions with everybody else because it was just chaos. There was a plan for the match. Shane was pushing back against producers who were simply trying to follow through on what Vince McMahon told them should be done in the match. And Shane just went way overboard. If you look at the people that Shane was fighting in the ring during the Rumble, that was his doing. That’s who he wanted to be in the ring with looking good against. I mean two of the legit kind of badass guys in WWE — Otis with his background and Riddle with his background, and Shane punched away at them. Then Kevin Owens super kicked him twice and tried to toss him out but Shane reversed him and tossed him out over the top row to eliminate him.”

Keller added, “While all this is going on, Shane is sweating, profusely [and] this has been a thing for him recently, more than recently where there’s a concerning level of perspiration. It’s almost like just droplets are shooting out of his head and face.”

Keller added that Shane was willing to put over Brock Lesnar but things between Shane and Vince got really bad backstage.

“So when it came time to put someone over, Shane was willing to put over Brock Lesnar,” Keller said. “But the issue with Shane really got to the next level with Vince when it came to what was planned for Raw and that Shane had real problems with how he was going to be framed as he was going to be in the Elimination Chamber. And so, Shane disagreed with what Vince wanted to do and how he wanted to do it. It was laid out to Shane what the plans were and he did like it, and he pushed back and that led to Vince just finally having enough and canceling all plans with Shane, everything that they have planned with him.”

At this point, it’s not clear if he was released from his talent contract or if he was simply sent home. Keller said, “I haven’t been able to confirm that it’s an actual firing because I’m not quite sure what Shane’s status is with the company in the sense that if there’s an employee or relationship that could be canceled in a traditional way firing happens. But the idea now is from what I’m hearing is he is not going to be part of WWE in any way on or off camera for the foreseeable future, which could span a long, long time. Like years. It’s father, son, it’s a family situation, who knows, right? But…because this has been festering for a while and it’s been an issue for a while, this isn’t something that just surprised everybody and it came out of nowhere on Saturday. The feeling is that this really could be the last straw. And there could be a level of professional estrangement between Vince and Shane…I haven’t found anybody who will defend Shane, in terms of how he acted on Saturday.”

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

YeahTubaMike posted:

Jesus gently caress :stare:

Kevin Nash walked by and said, "You guys know that's felony rape, right?"

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"

Time_pants posted:

HHH: *To Booker T, a Black man and one of the most popular wrestlers of the late '90s and '00s* "People like you don't get to be champion."

I just watched a Raw from 1998 where DX go on the street and HHH started making fun of an Indian dudes accent and trying to take off his turban… I was never really a HHH fan anyway but dang

I also remember some event in the UK from 1998 where Vince McMahon is riling up the crowd and said in the future our prime minister will be a Pakistani and he said it like that’s the worst possible thing that could happen

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Keller added, “While all this is going on, Shane is sweating, profusely [and] this has been a thing for him recently, more than recently where there’s a concerning level of perspiration. It’s almost like just droplets are shooting out of his head and face.”

Ahahaha oh my God

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
poo poo like this is more fascinating and entertaining than WWE puts out on TV.

At least I'm assuming. I stopped watching when they got rid of the Spirit Squad, but even back then, it was kinda that way too.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah, seeing how much of a poo poo show it is is pretty funny and interesting. I mostly stopped watching in the 80s-early 90s. I remember the 1-2-3 Kid, the Undertaker, and I think Kane was new and I stopped watching before then. The video games were fun.

Also Doink the Clown.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pennywise the Frown posted:

The video games were fun.

The video games were what got me into watching in the first place. I had a demo of WWF Smackdown for PlayStation that I tried out with friends, and we had so much fun with it, I went out and bought the full game. Then I bought the sequel, which introduced me to Too Cool.

"Wait, there's a guy who's signature move is to do THE WORM? And the other guy puts on GOGGLES when he jumps off the turnbuckle? And they DANCE? And they get other to dance by giving them SUNGLASSES? I gotta see if the show is really like this!"

And it was!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Yeah, seeing how much of a poo poo show it is is pretty funny and interesting. I mostly stopped watching in the 80s-early 90s. I remember the 1-2-3 Kid, the Undertaker, and I think Kane was new and I stopped watching before then. The video games were fun.

Also Doink the Clown.

I remember when they were like KANE IS HORRIBLY DISFIGURED AND THAT'S WHY HE WEARS THE MASK and then it finally came off and it's like "huh. Ok then. He's pretty normal" and no one talked about it again

Now he's mayor of some town in Tennessee. Wrestling is weird sometimes man

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
KANE SET FIRE TO HIS HOME AND WAS DISFIGURED IN THE FIRE AND HE BURNED HIS VOCAL CHORDS OUT!

(Kane gets the Voice Box gimmick)

WHOAH THIS DUDE SOUNDS HARDCORE

//
drat a Hulu Show that's basically the McMahons interspersed with some past scenes and B-plot would be fun.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Jamesman posted:

Oh honey, let me tell you about MUHAMMAD HASSAN.

Hassan's entry music ruled, and was a funny YTMND meme back in the day

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf9wOBAyQHQ

Some guy joins the game with the name Black Man Eliminator and two guys beat the poo poo out of him for 10 minutes.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
This is another favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENb_FR4nIRY

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Jamesman posted:

At least I'm assuming. I stopped watching when they got rid of the Spirit Squad, but even back then, it was kinda that way too.

WWE spent years being a mix of good and bad. Their problem for a while was that they were dead set on who the main eventers were with a couple being outright unbeatable (Cena, Undertaker, Batista) and if somebody became naturally popular over time, they would ultimately get fed to one of those main eventers and their careers would suffer for it. They had some talent that hit it big like Daniel Bryan, New Day, Becky Lynch and Rusev, but those are all examples of acts who got wildly popular DESPITE the WWE's efforts. Bryan's WWE career as a whole is kind of nuts.

Then WWE had something going in the mid '10s with the Shield, a trio of asskickers who were nigh-unbeatable as a unit. They had a long run of six-man tag matches against all sorts of team combinations that were really good across the board. Then WWE split them up and got strongly behind Shield member Roman Reigns. He was always going to be the golden boy of the group, but they really went all-in on him and kept insisting he was the future of the company. With Cena slowing down, it was very apparent that Roman was his replacement and they kept making him the focus of nearly every WrestleMania, hoping that this time the fans would cheer for him.

They also became obsessed with bringing back names from the past. For the past decade, Brock Lesnar has been paid an obscene amount of money to show up rarely to be WWE's final boss character and punk out everyone else. Goldberg had two championship runs in the past several years and he's old and broken down. He had a match against the Undertaker in Saudi Arabia that was especially sad to watch as the two were so old and winded from the heat that they nearly killed each other due to being sloppy.

The writing got gradually worse and even guys who SHOULD be stars based on WWE's metrics (ie. Braun Strowman, who is like Ogre from Revenge of the Nerds mixed with the Juggernaut) are constantly used to get Roman and Brock over. They're really the only two who matter on the roster and everyone else is just having constant rematches that don't matter and never lead to anything. It's widely believed that despite the company somehow making record profits, it's absolutely the worst its ever been creatively and there are no signs it's ever going to get better.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
japanese wrestling is better its live action anime with power ranngers doing kick flips directly in to faces none of this dumb poo poo like chicken nugget lesnar trying to be intimidating

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I can't take Lesner seriously with that dick tattooed on his chest.

Also lol that McMahon brings him back so often considering he told them all to gently caress off for MMA money or Football or whatever.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Robo Reagan posted:

japanese wrestling is better its live action anime with power ranngers doing kick flips directly in to faces none of this dumb poo poo like chicken nugget lesnar trying to be intimidating

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMT-L2ZH2yo

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
:wtc:

How many felony sexual assaults did I just see?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

:wtc:

How many felony sexual assaults did I just see?

None. Apparently every single person in that video was asked if they were comfortable with this, and they all said the same thing.

"I'm lovin' it."

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Jamesman posted:

A bunch of us who haven't watched WWE in a long time decided to watch the Royal Rumble last weekend because it was supposed to feature a bunch of people we like and have some fun surprises.

It was loving awful. Pretty much every match on the whole card was terrible. There were 2 big name big hype singles matches with a ton of buildup. The first of those matches was extremely good.......until the DQ finish. The other match ended up better than anyone expected.......until the ref got knocked out accidentally and Paul Heyman turned on Brock Lesnar and re-aligned with Roman Reigns causing Brock to lose.

Then, THEN, the Royal Rumble itself was anywhere from bad to decent until near the end when Shane McMahon, who apparently hasn't even watched his own company's product in along time, booked himself to come out at #28, beat up some established stars, and stay in there until the end.

THEN, because this is the WWE and only 2 guys matter, Brock Lesnar somehow magically came out at #30 and took everyone else out in like 3 minutes. The next to last person eliminated was Shane loving McMahon and the last one was a returning Drew McIntyre who got a huge pop from the crowd. Brock won. Do not ask the obvious question of "would Brock have been #30 if he had won his match?" because nobody booking the show did either.

Anyway, pretty much all of us watching this awful shitshow reaffirmed that we all stopped watching a long time ago because of this same kind of stupid bullshit. Nothing has changed.

Oh and their safety standards are so awful that the huge WrestleMania sign that was hanging over a section of the crowd caught fire not once but TWICE during the show. No reported injuries thankfully but lmfao at this toilet company.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Robo Reagan posted:

Japanese wrestling is great because they don't even pretend to make a serious product

They ham it up hardcore and go for pure entertainment value. There's one wrestler whose signature move is using his dick to suplex people. It is stupid and insane and incredible

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I’m learning to wrestle just for you, you stupid jabroni! I’m about to pipe drive your dumb face ! I’m ready for our match, I’ve been training since the lockdowns, gently caress YOU KIATO

Wrestling is scripted so if we “wrestled” it’d require cooperating and putting on a good show for the crowd. Sounds like you’d just sandbag, or hurt your opponent (me), and get yourself fired. Pathetic :smuggo:

dangerstepp
Apr 8, 2019
Lmao wrestling has never been more dead.

Neckbeards keep it on life support.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Ronald McDonald, horny agent of chaos, is a great character

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I like how the girl put her tits on display and he kicked her aside so he could continue to sexually assault the muscle men.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

dangerstepp posted:

Lmao wrestling has never been more dead.

Neckbeards keep it on life support.

Between that and... pretty much everything described above; only 2 dudes actually matter because of blatant executive favouritism and doing the same poo poo over and over, kept in life support by rusted-on fans and merchandising, it sounds like the equivalent of comic books.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Jamesman posted:

The video games were what got me into watching in the first place. I had a demo of WWF Smackdown for PlayStation that I tried out with friends, and we had so much fun with it, I went out and bought the full game. Then I bought the sequel, which introduced me to Too Cool.

"Wait, there's a guy who's signature move is to do THE WORM? And the other guy puts on GOGGLES when he jumps off the turnbuckle? And they DANCE? And they get other to dance by giving them SUNGLASSES? I gotta see if the show is really like this!"

And it was!

2 Cool and Rikishi were, without hyperbole, the single greatest act in the history of any entertainment medium and always will be.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Gavok posted:

[Goldberg] had a match against the Undertaker in Saudi Arabia that was especially sad to watch as the two were so old and winded from the heat that they nearly killed each other due to being sloppy.

Oh man, I really want to see this.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Japanese wrestling is great because they don't even pretend to make a serious product

They ham it up hardcore and go for pure entertainment value. There's one wrestler whose signature move is using his dick to suplex people. It is stupid and insane and incredible

I mean, it's not all like that. New Japan Pro Wrestling and Stardom are both "serious" promotions in Japan, and there are some comedy wrestling promotions in the US that are great (Pro Wrestling Gorilla and WrestleCircus having some great comedy wrestling), but then there's stuff in Japan like DDT that's... oh, it's a treat. They still do have really high-quality matches, but they also have wrestlers fighting blow-up dolls and invisible opponents.

And then there's the Ironman Heavymetalweight championship: a belt that must be defended 24/7 and spans multiple promotions all over the globe. The belt changes hands constantly (from the wiki: "As of February 4, 2022, there have been 1,528 officially recognized reigns between 390 different human individuals, 6 teams and 42 inanimate objects and animals. The record for most reigns is held by Shinobu, who won it 216 times, including by trading the title back-and-forth with 215-time champion Yuko Miyamoto a total of 303 times on the same night.").

It has been won by a ladder, by a team of three elementary school girls, Vince McMahon's Hollywood Walk of Fame star, and belt has even won itself on multiple occasions. The title has changed hands in a dream at least once. It's definitely a high water mark for the sport and worth checking out the history of title changes if you're interested: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ironman_Heavymetalweight_Champions

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Actually, it's especially like comic books but if everyone aged in real time. So management has gone out of its way to shut out anyone they don't like, which includes anyone younger than 50, until they've got an empty bench but for no-names and half-dead geezers, and gimmicks no one likes.

Basically the Democratic party bench.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Time_pants posted:

It has been won by a ladder, by a team of three elementary school girls, Vince McMahon's Hollywood Walk of Fame star, and belt has even won itself on multiple occasions. The title has changed hands in a dream

its still real to me, drat it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i like to read about wrestling as if it's dispatches from the war