Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
PLA should definitely have a minimap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

indigi posted:

Big agree.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

Also, I have to say I'm pretty surprised/happy that PL:A added new evos for old pokes. Took me a hot minute to realize they weren't just regional variants.

Although it's kind of funny because in the future those evolutions and regional forms are just not seen or known about somehow? Did Growlith go extinct and they had to bring some over from Kanto to repopulate?

I wouldn't take us not seeing pokemon as them not existing. The pokemon world is filled with terribly clueless scientists and people who I believe could live with a pokemon in their house for years before noticing there's suddenly a new species of pokemon, can someone help me find it?

Not to mention hosed up grass and caves that hide an infinite number of possibly huge pokemon completely out of sight, or the fact that pokemon can make themselves disappear when chased.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I found a Vulpix running around on the path to the cape in the coastlands, it seems incredibly rare, I only saw it the one time in all my visits there. That's kind of annoying because I like OG Vulpix and I want more.

Oxyclean posted:

I saw someone say the dex hints at how to evolve stuff but I'm not sure I'm seeing what hints are there.

It's mostly for Wyrdeer and Overqwil, like Qwilfish's research page has categories for seeing it use Barb Barrage 20 times, and seeing it use a strong style move 20 times. So a player might use Barb Barrage in strong style 20 times to get both categories done at once, and then whoa what do you know now Qwilfish can evolve.

indigi posted:

Oh god yes, so many times I just check the map four or five times in a row because I'm not sure which way to go to get to where I want. I know I can set pins and stuff but a minimap would be so much better.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They also nerfed bidoofs who no longer pickup rare candies for you.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I am loving PLA but there should have been a Hisuian Honedge/Doublade/Aegislash with a katana/samurai theme and a Hisuian Porygon called Porigami.
Also a Hisuian Yanmega that's Bug/Dragon, because that should've been its typing in the first place. :colbert:

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Fortis posted:

I am loving PLA but there should have been a Hisuian Honedge/Doublade/Aegislash with a katana/samurai theme and a Hisuian Porygon called Porigami.
Also a Hisuian Yanmega that's Bug/Dragon, because that should've been its typing in the first place. :colbert:

...gently caress that's good

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Nessa posted:

As well as the fact that there is no compass for wild areas

impossible to get lost in any of the wild areas

quote:

I also forgot to mention that multiplayer is hot garbage. It took foreeeever for me to trade Pokémon with a friend who was sitting right beside me. The worst part is that they already perfected it with the PSS system in 6th gen! Just being able to see a bunch of avatars for players that you can click on and choose what you want to do with them was great. Why can’t we use our trainer cards as avatars? Why can’t we just click on our friend’s avatar and choose to battle or trade with them?

the raids and dungeons are good.

quote:

Sword and Shield aren’t total losses. Camp is pretty cute and I like the tournament battle at the end. Pokémon being in the over world is good. Marnie is cool. But like, I had a lot more fun with Sun, Ultra Moon, White, White 2, HeartGold, Platinum and X.

its more fun than all of those

Stux fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 4, 2022

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

indigi posted:

loving really really needs AT LEAST a compass

.....am I supposed to be using the sun and moon for directional awareness?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Potato Salad posted:

loving really really needs AT LEAST a compass

.....am I supposed to be using the sun and moon for directional awareness?

Given that the moon starts moving at a 45 degree angle from the horizon, I don't think so?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Welp I got through the story and have reached the post game, and I actually want to complete the pokédex still. I think that officially qualifies the game as a success in my book, despite my initial skepticism, but I may revise that opinion if, say, Cleffa continues to refuse to ever spawn and let me feed it five berries, as I assume it needs.

Also did not expect my team MVP to be Lilligant of all pokémon, but I am glad of it. She is just a capoeira superstar.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

i just got to the post game last night, and this is my favourite pokemon game since platinum. looking forward to earning my last 3 stars. still don't really get how to use the air balls.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

Katana_Warrior posted:

i just got to the post game last night, and this is my favourite pokemon game since platinum. looking forward to earning my last 3 stars. still don't really get how to use the air balls.

The air balls always fly in a straight line slightly above your aiming reticle, so try aiming a little bit lower than you need to.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Stux posted:

impossible to get lost in any of the wild areas

I got lost a whole bunch of times. It’s not too bad in the main wild area, but in the DLC areas, there are forests to get lost in and it’s hard to tell what direction you’re heading while you’re in the ocean. I hate having to open the map every few seconds to see if I’m going the right way,

I’m glad you enjoy the games, but there are a lot of people like myself who think the raids are boring and had a lot more fun with previous games.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Nessa posted:

I got lost a whole bunch of times. It’s not too bad in the main wild area, but in the DLC areas, there are forests to get lost in and it’s hard to tell what direction you’re heading while you’re in the ocean. I hate having to open the map every few seconds to see if I’m going the right way,

I’m glad you enjoy the games, but there are a lot of people like myself who think the raids are boring and had a lot more fun with previous games.

getting lost in the childs game... and then admitting it online lol

everyone enjoyed them, except people here and at reddit. which really says it all :D

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

i too got lost in the DLC wild areas. there are not a lot of landmarks and the camera angles weird. I do not get lost in the arceus areas.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Stux posted:

main game also pwns if you arent unable to feel joy

Gonna cry?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

i too got lost in the DLC wild areas. there are not a lot of landmarks and the camera angles weird. I do not get lost in the arceus areas.

Same. Even in the regular wild area I needed a little compass or something. Especially in the bridge areas

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Khanstant posted:

I also caught on initial pokeball throw, almost think it's programmed to just accept first ball thrown, especially since you don't even really get the chance to fight the other.

I'm going in with whoever happens to be my last crew to be dex'd and I'm going to catch it without attacking I bet.

.....This is another human I'm talking about. But the mental image of chucking a poke ball at his face is admittedly hilarious.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

this thread is making me cry

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I found an :siren: Alpha Gyarados :siren: in the sea and it hosed up my sky swimming one :smith:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Stux posted:

everyone enjoyed them, except people here and at reddit. which really says it all :D

That's unkind. Not everyone is adept at spatial awareness or has a good sense of direction.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
I personally prefer playing open world games without a minimap, but I believe that these days every open world game should at least give you an option to have one if you want it.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

what??? The Arceus maps are much easier to get lost in. I will concede some of the Crown Tundra caves are a bit convoluted, but how the hell do you get lost in those but not in PLA

I have not played Arceus very much so far, so maybe I will gain more familiarity with the environments, but lol at thinking they are more straightforward to navigate than any of Sword/Shield or the DLC

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ive never gotten lost in any game designed for children to navigate. just my super power

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Stux posted:

Yup. I got lost in a game that is meant for children. I’d hate to think of all the actual children who got lost too. A compass or mini map is pretty standard in open world games, so it sucks that there isn’t an option for one.

Hammerite posted:

what??? The Arceus maps are much easier to get lost in. I will concede some of the Crown Tundra caves are a bit convoluted, but how the hell do you get lost in those but not in PLA

I have not played Arceus very much so far, so maybe I will gain more familiarity with the environments, but lol at thinking they are more straightforward to navigate than any of Sword/Shield or the DLC

I think it helps that you can orient yourself by Mt. Coronet, as well as setting up flags that will guide you to where you want to go. Those help a ton.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
I haven't tried using the flags feature yet, maybe I should.

I like that the maps in Arceus are big and sprawling, it makes it feel (at least temporarily, while you haven't yet become overly familiar with them) like it's a genuinely open world where you can just go in any direction and do anything. Getting disoriented occasionally is not a big deal.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Nessa posted:

Yup. I got lost in a game that is meant for children. I’d hate to think of all the actual children who got lost too.

they probably didnt

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Hammerite posted:

I disagree, there's large map markers always visable and you can always pull up the map and orient yourself.
Plus there's the objective marker, and you can set pins to keep yourself straight.

Contrast that to crown tundra, where you get marker in the center of the area you're in, with nothing showing you which direction

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Flopsy posted:

.....This is another human I'm talking about. But the mental image of chucking a poke ball at his face is admittedly hilarious.

lol I thought you meant Arceus. I definitely did try stealing opposing pokemon but they just won't let you, same as the rest of the games. Where's the spinoff where we are Team Rocket and allowed to steal??

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

HootTheOwl posted:

I disagree, there's large map markers always visable and you can always pull up the map and orient yourself.
Plus there's the objective marker, and you can set pins to keep yourself straight.

Contrast that to crown tundra, where you get marker in the center of the area you're in, with nothing showing you which direction

But the areas in CT are fairly closed off - they are essentially a network of rooms and corridors disguised as natural environments. Although some of the corridors are convoluted, there are very few loops, so it is easy to exhaustively search.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Stux posted:

ive never gotten lost in any game designed for children to navigate. just my super power

Considering the obvious sundowning that’s super impressive stux, good for you

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Khanstant posted:

lol I thought you meant Arceus. I definitely did try stealing opposing pokemon but they just won't let you, same as the rest of the games. Where's the spinoff where we are Team Rocket and allowed to steal??

I mean, we're not allowed to steal, but I can think of one game where you play as a Team Galaxy grunt and are on orders from Cyrus ancestor to go out and wreak havoc on native ecosystems.

You can even get a teal bowl cut once you get enough hairdresser upgrades.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Khanstant posted:

they already did its called pokemon colosseum for the nintendo gamecube

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
shadow pokemon arent pokemon i dont acknowledge them sorry

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Blaziken386 posted:

they already did its called pokemon colosseum for the nintendo gamecube

its the thread's favorite spin-off too. we talk about it every thirty pages or so. Nobody here gives Pokemon Channel or Pokemon Ranger or Pokemon Trozei an 1/8th of the attention

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

its the thread's favorite spin-off too. we talk about it every thirty pages or so. Nobody here gives Pokemon Channel or Pokemon Ranger or Pokemon Trozei an 1/8th of the attention

If any of those games had Mirror B. then maybe we would.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Is there anyway to search the dex for a specific pokemon in PLA? I only see options to sort the list by various things and not a way to just type in grotle or whatever.

Is it somewhere not in d-pad down?

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Pokemon Ranger was cool. Fond memories of destroying my DS Phat's touch screen catching charizard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I just finished Pokemon shield and man that sucked. I was thinking about buying the dlc but I probably won't bother. Are new pearl and diamond as good/better than the original?