Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

When are the listener requests revealed?

Sounds like somebody doesn't listen to the announcements at the beginning of episodes

The drawing will be streamed on the youtube channel on February 10th

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat I also had bags of milk growing up in south central PA and we also used them as grenades. The more common thing though was to twist it tight then just loving stab the hell out of the bag causing a fountain of milk to shoot out of the straw. Bonus points if you did it "double barreled"

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I only ever took the specialized film classes in art school (Women filmmakers, genre filmmaking, one described in the class booklet thing as being one just about “underrated, forgotten and guilty pleasure” films) so I completely missed like the populist discussion stuff you’d probably get in a general film history course.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

thrawn527 posted:

The scene super sucks, because Aliens and T2 are both written off as one guy having a “hard on for Cameron”, but they’re both worthy of being talked about. And yeah, the sheer smugness of, “I’ve got it, by the way…” will always be funny, to me.

Also, I never took any film study classes in college, but I imagine they weren’t just sitting around arguing about what sequels are the best. Or I’m wrong, and I should have taken some of those classes.

Scream really should have been a “one and done” movie. Then we could have been saved from the Jay and Silent Bob cameo in part 3.

I took a class in cult horror and everyone was mostly just hyped to talk about all the cheese movies they loved.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Angry_Ed posted:

It's from a movie that I can't recall the name of starring Cary Elwes and Alicia Silverstone(?)

They first reference it in the A Letter From Death Row episode. Might be the only episode where they reference it; can't recall

Isnt it from Twin Peaks? I could have sworn that was in some scene after they find laura palmer.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Arson Daily posted:

Isnt it from Twin Peaks? I could have sworn that was in some scene after they find laura palmer.

This might be a false memory, but iirc it's from the aggressively creepy movie The Crush starring Cary Elwes and Alicia Silverstone

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
I thought it was presumed innocent which has a plot point of planted semen but there is no jack character apparently

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

AceOfFlames posted:

Everyone should know who Neil Breen is.

The flophouse brought him to my attention, and hoo boy is he a treat.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I only know who he is thanks to the SA forums. So, you know, he was worth the sign up fee alone right there.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

This might be a false memory, but iirc it's from the aggressively creepy movie The Crush starring Cary Elwes and Alicia Silverstone

It is from The Crush.

Alicia Silverstone’s character steals a used condom from the trash can or Cary E.’s character so she can frame him For assault to get back at him because she is jealous of his new girlfriend.

I now think I should have called in The Crush.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

New Podcast of Boba Fett is out and they hated this last episode :lol:

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Rageaholic posted:

New Podcast of Boba Fett is out and they hated this last episode :lol:

You beat me to it, holy poo poo I have not heard this much outright anger from them in a while and it rules. They’re irl mad here.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

gently caress guess i gotta listen to this. I've stayed mostly clear of any Boba content.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Real question for the thread: I am racking my brain trying to think of a main feed episode where they were anywhere close to this upset at something. You can't really do a 1:1 comparison with this latest Book of Buddy Friend because this is a shorter episode where they are more critiquing a series vs trying to riff, but it would have to be something for them to transcend laughing at a bad movie or even being embarrassed to being out and out combative. The closest may be Batman v Superman even though it was still rife with comedy and I will never not randomly think of "IT'S SO . . . loving . . . STUPID"

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Maybe Easy Rider 2's 9/11 line? That's the closest I can think.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

The Deleter posted:

Maybe Easy Rider 2's 9/11 line? That's the closest I can think.

That is definitely the only one I can think of that's as mad as this.

I had to pull over at "This is like writing your suicide note in Wingdings"

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

It’s really quite something. Like, the episode of the show is a weird one, even a bad one. But their level of pure rage is off the charts.

It still had space Olyphant and Cad Bane in a quick draw shootout. So I can’t be all that mad.

I mean, Eric thought the Luke parts were the best parts of the episode, and is ENRAGED about Cad Bane being in the episode at all, so I don’t know what the gently caress. If you’re gonna get royally pissed about anything in this episode, it should be the Luke bullshit.

Which, I get it, the show suddenly stopped being about Boba Fett, which is really weird. But Eric keeps talking about “true Fett fans” being let down, and how terrible that is, and it’s like, eh.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 7, 2022

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

thrawn527 posted:

Which, I get it, the show suddenly stopped being about Boba Fett, which is really weird. But Eric keeps talking about “true Fett fans” being let down, and how terrible that is, and it’s like, eh.

I think all of them are mad at it for different reasons, but Eric has a bit in the middle that hit home for me as a similarly-lapsed EU gal. The idea that there was all this material around on multiple levels which went "well the galaxy does new things in the wake of such a seismic event" and what it meant for multiple characters was real interesting, and the concept of "we're going to see the gaps in Boba's story" being the pitch for this, and suddenly this season seems to be a bait-and-switch where all of it is just to build up Disney's own stable of characters while also stomping on ideas you thought were cool... yeah, that poo poo stings. I understand they're remixing in some of the EU content into the new shows but a lot of it seems to be "we want this and this and set fire to the rest, we've got our boys on the case and we don't need this trash".

It's being a longtime fan of something and then a new manager comes in and decides to tell you that thank you for your service, but your branch of the fandom is fired, get in line or get out.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

secretly best girl posted:

It’s being a longtime fan of something and then a new manager comes in and decides to tell you that thank you for your service, but your branch of the fandom is fired, get in line or get out.

I get that, but that moment happened in, like, 2012. I’m, obviously, a huge fan of the old EU, but at some point you have to accept that the old EU is dead. And that point probably should have come during the last 10 years.

However, you’re right that they’re all coming from different places in their anger. I was oversimplifying by just mentioning Eric’s comments. That was bad faith, sorry about that.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I just got to the part where Chris makes a big point about how Dinsey tanked the marketing for Encanto because it’s a Pixar movie. And how they may be doing the same for Boba Fett in their shows, because he’s not one of their new EU characters. He’s an old Star Wars character.

Except that Encanto isn’t a Pixar movie, it’s an in house Disney movie.

Oh well. It does feel like a Pixar movie.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 7, 2022

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
That movie about the girl who turns into a red panda is the Pixar movie that Disney is loving over by not releasing it in theaters

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Calaveron posted:

That movie about the girl who turns into a red panda is the Pixar movie that Disney is loving over by not releasing it in theaters

Ah okay, so he just got the name wrong. Turning Red. That makes way more sense.

Drint Blasters
Jul 1, 2007

I agree with their Star Wars takes, the Luke stuff is terrible. Just give me something new for fucks sake

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

thrawn527 posted:

I just got to the part where Chris makes a big point about how Dinsey tanked the marketing for Encanto because it’s a Pixar movie. And how they may be doing the same for Boba Fett in their shows, because he’s not one of their new EU characters. He’s an old Star Wars character.

Except that Encanto isn’t a Pixar movie, it’s an in house Disney movie.

Oh well. It does feel like a Pixar movie.

That makes zero sense. Pixar movies and related merchandise make Disney a poo poo ton of money so it makes no sense to intentionally tank a movie because it's not from Disney Animation Studios. Turning Red is getting dumped on D+ because it looks like total dogshit.

It also makes no sense that they're loving over Boba Fett because he's not one of theirs. They're letting Dave Filoni bring all his Clone Wars poo poo and some of that pre-dates the Disney acquisition (some of it does come from his post-acquisition shows)

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 7, 2022

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Jose Oquendo posted:

That makes zero sense. Pixar movies and related merchandise make Disney a poo poo ton of money so it makes no sense to intentionally tank a movie because it's not from Disney Animation Studios. Turning Red is getting dumped on D+ because it looks like total dogshit.

I agree that it doesn't make sense, but it honestly does seem like Disney is kinda trying to keep new Pixar movies out of the spotlight. From Soul onward, all the Pixar releases have been Disney+ only, while Disney's released a bunch of other animated movies in theaters. It's a weird move considering how crucial Pixar movies are to the company at this point.

I've only seen a couple brief trailers for Turning Red, and it looked fine. Good enough to not just dump on streaming, at least.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Drint Blasters posted:

I agree with their Star Wars takes, the Luke stuff is terrible. Just give me something new for fucks sake

If you want something new, you’ll probably have to stop watching star wars. That’s kind of where I’m at. All the star wars drones I know think the last episode of Buddy Fett was the best thing since running water.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
the absolute shittiest kids movies in the world make tons of money. it's the benefit of the genre. it's pixar, it could teach children how to kill their parents for satanic rituals and it'd still make back its budget in theaters.

e: i can basically guarantee you turning red is better than spies in disguise and sing 2

Marin Karin fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 7, 2022

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Nikaer Drekin posted:

I agree that it doesn't make sense, but it honestly does seem like Disney is kinda trying to keep new Pixar movies out of the spotlight. From Soul onward, all the Pixar releases have been Disney+ only, while Disney's released a bunch of other animated movies in theaters.

I had to look this up because that didn't sound right.

There have been 3 Pixar movies already released during the pandemic, Turning Red is next month, and Lightyear is coming out this summer. I'm guessing Lightyear will get released in theaters and do well because it's Toy Story.

There have been 2 Disney Animation Studios films released during the same period. Raya was released in theaters and D+ Premier the same day, and on D+ 3 months later. Encanto was in theaters for a month before going on D+.

It seems they test the waters a couple times and the films underperform in the box office so they keep putting stuff on D+.

And I hate myself for saying this much about kids movies. I need to listen to the episode because it sounds like they're all angry for different reasons.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 7, 2022

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I'm still finishing up the latest melr0210 episode and have not been watching the book of bobs fett so what exactly has the guys so incensed

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Boba Fett has about 30 seconds of screen time in the last two episodes. Also deep fake algorithm characters.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Calaveron posted:

I'm still finishing up the latest melr0210 episode and have not been watching the book of bobs fett so what exactly has the guys so incensed

Some context for the episode:
https://twitter.com/ericszyszka/status/1490351818559438852

I should note that they're not entirely wrong. Spoilers for the The Book of Boba Fett. Mostly that The Book of Boba Fett has stopped having Boba Fett in it. Which is fair (though Eric gave last week's episode an A, which had the same problem, and now this week is an F and the worst thing Star Wars has ever done to him, personally, but whatever). It is getting really weird that the past 2 episodes have had one cameo appearance by Fett, and even in that appearance he didn't speak. We have one episode left, and it's been weeks since Fett has done a god drat thing.

All that makes sense. But it's less about this episode, and more that I think their anger at the show itself not being what they hoped it would be finally spilled over this week and they just lost it.

Also, this week brought back the CGI Luke puppet, which, while looking better than it did at the end of last season, still isn't quite right, and just shouldn't be in the show. Recast him, or don't include him, but the CGI puppet, with an AI created voice, is just loving weird and ghoulish. Plus the writing for Luke was pretty terrible. Most of them are pretty pissed about that. Andrew kept pointing out that, even if you like the show, you should see the Luke stuff as a slippery slope into replacing actors altogether.

But the angriest by far is Eric, who is really mad he doesn't get a show about his favorite character as a kid, Boba Fett. I'm not projecting, btw, he says this multiple times. He says he's mad that Cad Bane gets to be here and still be a badass while Boba Fett "has to be everyone's loving friend now." And, as I mentioned before, Chris is saying that he's starting to think there's some merit to the conspiracy that Disney is trying to ignore the Lucas created Star Wars characters in favor of the Disney created Star Wars characters. Which I just don't think makes any sense at all, considering they own and make money off of all of them.

Oh, and it's clear that some of them have watched The Clone Wars and didn't really like it, so anyone who shows up from it isn't going to do much of anything for them.

And, like, yeah, I'm not really happy with how the show has turned out either. But I agree that this is the angriest I've ever heard them. (Well, at least Eric and Chris.) It's quite something.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Good Tom Arnold movies and no one brings up The Stupids?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I loved the mandalorian, even though season 2 was just an endless parade of backdoor pilots and spinoffs I couldn't get enough of it. It was its own thing set in the star wars universe and just a lot of fun
Then I read the final episode had a cg monstrosity Luke Skywalker and I dropped it like a hot turd. Never bothered watching the finale. They just can't help themselves. Wonder what actors think now that they can be replaced by a computer effect and an ai trained on their voices

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Can't wait for the all AI remakes of the original trilogy with added lore!

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

I do feel like weird AI amalgamations taking over for real actors is totally in the wheelhouse of something Lucas would do.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Zurtilik posted:

I do feel like weird AI amalgamations taking over for real actors is totally in the wheelhouse of something Lucas would do.

I read this as "Weird Al (Yankovic) amalgamations" and had a hearty chuckle

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Zurtilik posted:

Can't wait for the all AI remakes of the original trilogy with added lore!

no joke, I do believe this is where these test runs are headed.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Of course it is. Disney wants so bad to make a marvel movie with a fake person so they can make a bajillion movies with it and not have to deal with a a real actor.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Invalid Validation posted:

Of course it is. Disney wants so bad to make a marvel movie with a fake person so they can make a bajillion movies with it and not have to deal with a a real actor.

Yup, get ready to eventually see AIs of the entire main cast of the Avengers on a bazillion movies and TV shows without RDJ, Chris Evans, et al seeing a single cent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Honestly, even if the actors gladly consented and got paid whole boats of money I'm not sure I want to live in a world where the same handful of movie stars just exist in perpetuity forever. Like I enjoy Samuel L Jackson, but do I need or want him being a regular movie star into 2085?