Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

SamDabbers posted:

What if ceiling AP sat face up on the floor instead???

Can't talk now, busy mounting an AP outside so I can get good WiFi in the back yard.

Putting it in a big metal box to protect from elements.

Will report back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

SamDabbers posted:

What if ceiling AP sat face up on the floor instead???

Please get out of my basement.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Now I'm down a rabbit hole of optimizing your wifi youtubes.
As someone currently not even sure about the location of the CCIE Wireless laminated cert, I can tell you that this way lies madness.

Hint: Unless otherwise specified, access points are omni-directional and beam-forming for the 5GHz ISM band is gonna be a lot more useful to you than trying to ensure that it has "the right orientation".

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

As someone currently not even sure about the location of the CCIE Wireless laminated cert, I can tell you that this way lies madness.

Hint: Unless otherwise specified, access points are omni-directional and beam-forming for the 5GHz ISM band is gonna be a lot more useful to you than trying to ensure that it has "the right orientation".

What? That's bullshit, even for Cisco.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

SEKCobra posted:

What? That's bullshit, even for Cisco.
I mean, unless you're hanging it off the wall like a clock, it really is omni-directional.

EDIT: The Unifi controller even has a floor plan diagramming where you can indicate wall width and material and get signal attenuation approximation for wall if you upload a png of a floorplan of your house.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 4, 2022

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

EDIT: The Unifi controller even has a floor plan diagramming where you can indicate wall width and material and get signal attenuation approximation for wall if you upload a png of a floorplan of your house.

I guess I'll have time to do this on paternity leave right?

edit: For a question, now that I have a full Unifi setup (controller/APs), are there any built-in tools that would help me optimize my wifi setup/AP locations/etc? Or should I still use something like Netspot?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 4, 2022

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was just tooling around the UI community site and I think I saw several people say their APs orient outward from the top but honestly I have no idea what that means in actual signal terms. Lots of research for me to do.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

I guess I'll have time to do this on paternity leave right?

edit: For a question, now that I have a full Unifi setup (controller/APs), are there any built-in tools that would help me optimize my wifi setup/AP locations/etc? Or should I still use something like Netspot?
Once you set up the floor planning with wall material and thickness, you can press a button called "Auto Channels" and it'll do some nebulous optimization.

Whether it's any good is anyone's guess - but that's true for any auto-optimization.

Martytoof posted:

I was just tooling around the UI community site and I think I saw several people say their APs orient outward from the top but honestly I have no idea what that means in actual signal terms. Lots of research for me to do.
I'm not sure what it means either.
Is there any indication that they know what they're talking about? :v:

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/115012664088-UniFi-Introduction-to-Antenna-Radiation-Patterns

I think this would be good reading for beginners and previous CCIE Holders needing a refresher alike.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

And when you're done with that, here are the plots for most of the UniFi APs, including the newer U6s.

https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005212927-UniFi-UAP-Antenna-Radiation-Patterns#summary

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Welp, egg aaaaaall over my face. :v:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Huh, haven't looked at the plots for my new U6 APs yet. Glad I went with getting the "U" to look right which coincidentally seems to match my usage... interesting that one side of the U6 Pro is a good 5 dB weaker than the other side. Good thing it's in a corner of my room!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm not sure what it means either.
Is there any indication that they know what they're talking about? :v:

It’s a community forum so who knows, really :q:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Hoping to get a sanity check please:

Current setup:
ER-X > UAP (via POE injector) + TP-Link camera (via POE injector)

This works OK but is stuck with 2.4 GHz, no support and no way to expand as there is no switch next to these devices. So my TV, Apple TV etc. are using Wi-Fi.

Proposed setup:

ER-X > Edgeswitch 10XP > Unifi AP 6 Lite + TP-Link camera + Samsung TV + Apple TV + (future camera)

Am I correct that the ES-10XP would power the AP and camera (+another in future) via POE? TP-Link camera says 12V DC, Max 12W.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Red_Fred posted:

Hoping to get a sanity check please:

Current setup:
ER-X > UAP (via POE injector) + TP-Link camera (via POE injector)

This works OK but is stuck with 2.4 GHz, no support and no way to expand as there is no switch next to these devices. So my TV, Apple TV etc. are using Wi-Fi.

Proposed setup:

ER-X > Edgeswitch 10XP > Unifi AP 6 Lite + TP-Link camera + Samsung TV + Apple TV + (future camera)

Am I correct that the ES-10XP would power the AP and camera (+another in future) via POE? TP-Link camera says 12V DC, Max 12W.

I think the Unifi 6 Lite needs 48V PoE and the Edgeswitch is only able to output 24V PoE. Not sure what your camera would need but you'd probably need a separate injector or a different switch to supply the AP with power.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Rexxed posted:

I think the Unifi 6 Lite needs 48V PoE and the Edgeswitch is only able to output 24V PoE. Not sure what your camera would need but you'd probably need a separate injector or a different switch to supply the AP with power.

Ok so I could use that switch and pass through POE from a 48V injector?

Do you know of a switch that could do what I need? Ubiquiti is preferred but not key.

EDIT: looked here: https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000263008-UniFi-Supported-PoE-Output-and-Input-Modes#2

And that says US-8-60W might be what I need?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Sanity check my thinking: U6 Pro doesn't have 2.5GbE, which means it can't even push its full capability, may as well get the LR instead?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Rexxed posted:

Yeah the edgeswitch's output won't even play nice with an AP AC Pro, ask me how I found out.

Yep, the correct in-universe option.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

Happy Pizza Guy posted:

I'm moving to a new home and I'm facing the age-old dilemma of a 3-story brick rowhome that is only wired for coaxial. I've had good luck with MoCA in the past, so I'm hoping the previous owner of the house wired the coaxial properly and I can use it to have wired networking in most of my home.

Background: I currently live in a small apartment happily run from a single Unifi Dream Machine (non-pro) and I'll be sticking with Verizon Fios 300/300 as my ISP.

I see two options in front of me for the new house:

1. I stick the UDM I already own in the basement near Verizon's ONT along with a MoCA 2.5 adapter, forego Verizon's other equipment entirely and use a MoCA adapter on each floor in conjunction with a Unifi Access Point and/or a switch.
    Advantage: I stay in the "prosumer" space with high quality Ubiquiti equipment. Costs around $600 for the four MoCA adapters and three new Unifi APs.
    Disadvantage: tons and tons of wall warts and wires

2. I buy the Verizon 3100 Router (which is MoCA 2.5 ) and a Verizon 3200 AP (also MoCA 2.5) for each floor.
    Advantage: way less clutter at each access point and in the basement, single Verizon ecosystem, each AP has two gigabit ethernet ports for wired access, as well
    Disadvantage: I'd be using proprietary devices from an ISP (never a good feeling), costs around $1000 for Verizon's Router and their three extenders.

Anything I'm missing that I should consider?
Would a mix-and-match scenario with just the Verizon APs make any sense?
Does have any experience good or bad with Verizon's equipment?
Would I see a big difference in wireless network quality comparing a Unifi AP to a Verizon AP?

Edit: Changed the post to indicate that the Verizon 3200 Extender is an AP when it is wired in with MoCA

This is me right now, bought a 4 floor row home only two rooms have ethernet, the fios ONT (300/300) in a room with only access to coax. So i put in a ERX at the ONT, and a moca 2.5 adapter to the basement and into a switch. from the switch i have ethernet drops in the living room (second floor/above basement) and master bedroom (top floor)

issue is that the basement, guest bedroom, and master bathroom gets poor signal. Parking pad gets a signal but not useable at all.

i have ai mesh set up to drop clients once they fall below 400db but i need it to drop at even lower reads so i can put more APs in

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

i wish I knew MoCA was a thing before I tore out a bunch of my coax runs the previous owner put in.

I mean none of it was professional, holes in floors and run along baseboards etc, but it's all work I had to re-do with ethernet when I could have put it off for a bit.

And now I'm kind of thinking of re-doing the backhaul upstairs with fiber anyway, as an easy path to 10gbe down the road. Thankfully I put up a bunch of conduit so stringing new cable is easy for 99% of the run, just need to figure out how to terminate it upstairs. With twisted pair I just terminate it to a a wall box after the cable emerges from the cool totally-code-compliant hole in the floor. With fiber I guess I need to route it to its uplink, unless there's a fiber equivalent of a twisted pair junction keystone jack, which seems iffy given you're talking about optical carriers with a lot less margin for error.

e: I mean pragmatically, without specialized equipment, etc. Obviously you can money at this kind of problem.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

So my ISP is offering to take me to gigabit (940-50 Mb/sec down, 50 Mb / sec up) for a decent amount of $$$ (something like $18-20 extra per month) and I'm wondering if I should either convert an old 2012 quadcore Mini to pfSense or just get an EdgeRouter 4.

Currently I've got about 30 devices hooked up to the current EdgeRouter X, a big part of getting the ER4 is that it's managed mostly the same way as the ER-X so it should be quick to set up for me. There's still hardware offloading but it's just slightly different commands.

The ER-X is handling 400 Mb/sec like a champ, CPU never really goes over 11-13%, but RAM / storage sometimes needs janitoring.

Furthermore, the ER-X has a switch chip and the ER-4 doesn't; I can take the ER-X and convert it to a Layer 2 switch and hang my two APs off of it, and hang it off the ER-4.

Flip side is that the Mini running pfSense will probably be more powerful than an ER-4, and I can run the WAN into the Mini's built-in Ethernet but the only other connections I can have are one Apple Thunderbolt 2 to Ethernet and maybe 4 USB to Ethernet dongles, which when I checked with pfSense says are fully supported as interfaces. I'd probably hang the ER-X off the TB-Ethernet dongle since that's the fastest.

Anyone see any flaws in this scheme? No, I don't want a TP-Link.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 7, 2022

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I would have thought ER-X would be "mostly" fine for gigabit with offloading enabled.

That is to say, my vague recollection was that it's supposed to do cumulative gigabit so you'd never actually get 1000 up AND down before you bog it down, but depending on your usage patterns the two might not conflict enough to be noticeable unless you're constantly streaming and downloading at the same time?

I'd probably go with dedicated hardware if it were me. The thought of trying to monkey with pfsense on a mac makes me uncomfortable though it's probably "fine". If I had to go pfsense I'd probably get a small lenovo 1L desktop and hang a few USB3 interfaces off that I guess. Or a small SFF with a quad NIC.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 7, 2022

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Martytoof posted:

I would have thought ER-X would be "mostly" fine for gigabit with offloading enabled.

That is to say, my vague recollection was that it's supposed to do cumulative gigabit so you'd never actually get 1000 up AND down before you bog it down, but depending on your usage patterns the two might not conflict enough to be noticeable unless you're constantly streaming and downloading at the same time?

I seem to recall the same but a brief internet skim seems to indicate the “numbered routers” (e.g. ERL-3, ER-4) are more capable.

FWIW - I like my ER-4. Though to be fair, I have single mode fiber throughout my house so the backbone between all the router/switches is SM and that was a specific selling point for me getting the ER-4 versus something like the ERL-3 (what I upgraded from).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man so apropos of nothing, I don't want to power all my APs and mini-switches with a PoE Ubiquiti switch for reasons, but also the idea of having like 4 separate PoE injectors is abhorrent to me for some reason, when they're all being powered at the source.

I ended up buying a TrendNet 802.3at PoE+ 4-port injector on Amazon just now. My understanding is that it'll back-negotiate with 802.3af PoE devices and the only ones out are passive PoE which I have none of.

Currently powering UAP-AC-Pro, UAP-AC-LR, USW-Flex-Mini, and UAP-AC-IW (which will power a downstream USW-Flex-Mini I guess) so hopefully everything works as I envision it.

For the life of me I can't figure out why Ubiquiti has like 400 injectors in their lineup. Nothing has made me second guess my understanding of PoE more than reading through their Injector catalogue.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

I used an ER-X with gigabit, works fine and keeps up so long as you don’t use anything that breaks offloading.

Test it out and see how it does before screwing with things that currently work.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I also have an ER-X with Gigabit and regularly pull down 950-980 MBps with ease.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

I also have an ER-X with Gigabit and regularly pull down 950-980 MBps with ease.

Is that with 1.10.x or the current 2.0.9 hotfix 2?

I do remote out via work VPN quite a bit, which is one of the things that's currently offloaded.

One thing that concerns me is that the ISP (Optimum in this case) claims that they will test my ER-X to see if it handles gigabit ok, and if it doesn't they're going to shove one of those Altice units in my face. If they tell me the ER-X can't hack it I'm going to tell them to call it off as I really don't want a router that I can't janitor.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Binary Badger posted:

Is that with 1.10.x or the current 2.0.9 hotfix 2?

I do remote out via work VPN quite a bit, which is one of the things that's currently offloaded.

One thing that concerns me is that the ISP (Optimum in this case) claims that they will test my ER-X to see if it handles gigabit ok, and if it doesn't they're going to shove one of those Altice units in my face. If they tell me the ER-X can't hack it I'm going to tell them to call it off as I really don't want a router that I can't janitor.

1.10.x, I had some weird issue with my AT&T bypass where 2.0.9 breaks the bypass. And same, I bypassed and removed the AT&T gateway because I don't want that thing in there.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

CommieGIR posted:

1.10.x, I had some weird issue with my AT&T bypass where 2.0.9 breaks the bypass. And same, I bypassed and removed the AT&T gateway because I don't want that thing in there.

I really need to do this; is it really as easy as spoofing the gateway MAC address after it registers?

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Beef Of Ages posted:

I really need to do this; is it really as easy as spoofing the gateway MAC address after it registers?

Yeah it super easy, look up the dumb switch bypass for more details. However, do note they are rolling out new network stuff that makes it so you can't bypass it anymore. So you may not be able to depending on your location, and/or it may not last. I was using it for about two years but they upgraded the network I'm on and lost the ability to bypass it.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Is there a resource you guys would recommend to get more acquainted with the dark arts of networking?

I babysit applications and do computer janitor stuff occasionally and would like to broaden my understanding but don’t know where to start.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Rakeris posted:

Yeah it super easy, look up the dumb switch bypass for more details. However, do note they are rolling out new network stuff that makes it so you can't bypass it anymore. So you may not be able to depending on your location, and/or it may not last. I was using it for about two years but they upgraded the network I'm on and lost the ability to bypass it.

My brother recently got AT&T fiber and the new device is an all-in-one with the fiber directly into the router, no more separate ONT.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rakeris posted:

They've done it in some places, but haven't seen it in my neck of the woods (Atlanta area) yet.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

tehinternet posted:

Is there a resource you guys would recommend to get more acquainted with the dark arts of networking?

I babysit applications and do computer janitor stuff occasionally and would like to broaden my understanding but don’t know where to start.

I actually really despise vendor-specific certifications, but Cisco’s CCNA curriculum was where I cut my teeth, like decades ago, and the fundamentals will still not have changed.

Feel free to skip the vendor specific stuff if you’re just looking for fundamentals, but I think going through some video courses is probably your best bet until you want to get hands on.

Or honestly, I don’t know what the marketplace for training is like now, but I 100% believe that if you have a public library card you probably have access to lynda/linkedin learning/etc and you can find networking basics video courses. That’s not even taking into consideration the vast array of youtube stuff.

I think CCNA curriculum is probably tried-and-proven, but there may now be better avenues if you’re not going to actually write the CCNA.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Martytoof posted:

I actually really despise vendor-specific certifications, but Cisco’s CCNA curriculum was where I cut my teeth, like decades ago, and the fundamentals will still not have changed.

Feel free to skip the vendor specific stuff if you’re just looking for fundamentals, but I think going through some video courses is probably your best bet until you want to get hands on.

Or honestly, I don’t know what the marketplace for training is like now, but I 100% believe that if you have a public library card you probably have access to lynda/linkedin learning/etc and you can find networking basics video courses. That’s not even taking into consideration the vast array of youtube stuff.

I think CCNA curriculum is probably tried-and-proven, but there may now be better avenues if you’re not going to actually write the CCNA.

I’m just looking to broaden my knowledge base because inevitably, random computer poo poo comes in useful (and networking is probably my weakest Kung fu).

Appreciate you pointing me in the right direction

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

No prob! I don't know if you're anything like me and learn better by DOING then definitely get yourself hands on with wireshark to actually see the stuff happening under the scenes. Tools to help you would be GNS3 for topology an device emulation, wireshark and tcpdump for low level capture and inspection, etc.

I would be surprised if SH/SC didn't have a dedicated (enterprise) networking nerds thread if you want to ask any specific questions as you move through your learning, but I suspect if it does exist it's probably a lot of the same players as you see here.

By sheer coincidence a friend-of-a-friend asked me yesterday to recommend something along the same lines for their daughter who is starting to show interest in understanding what's actually going on behind the scenes, so I feel compelled to actually research more of a concrete answer with specific resources that I guess I'll share once I get around to doing a little research.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

And when you're done with that, here are the plots for most of the UniFi APs, including the newer U6s.

https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005212927-UniFi-UAP-Antenna-Radiation-Patterns#summary

Neat

That's about what I would have expected but there are some surprises there like that in wall HD.

I'm especially interested to see how this is going to pan out with 6GHz when vendors no longer offer external antennae options (such as Aruba, at least).

For the most part treating the donut APs as omni directional works, though that rear output has been a pain in the rear end before.
I did some work to improve system performance in a LEED Gold commercial building, where the radiation from the rear of the ceiling mounted APs penetrated the floors enough to cause issues with auto system calibration resulting in low power levels and poor coverage. I'd imagine most residential can be treated the same way, that most surfaces are going to be largely RF transparent, and then at high power levels of having an AP in the middle of the house, between multipath and drywall/wood it may as well be a spherical radiator.

As far as learning I can recommend a Discord community that would help if you want to go down the CCNA track, though there are plenty of free or low cost resources available for self study on Youtube, Udemy, etc. Cheap course from David Bombal with lab examples.

I still believe the CCNA represents a decent foundation for anyone who's going to be interacting with network elements directly, and needs to know more than the basics about addressing and IP connectivity. I've helped a few friends work through the CCNA curriculum in the past who got hung up on subnetting or spanning tree, neither of which is extremely necessary to master IMO to have an awareness of network concepts. Just learning the functions of these things may be enough without getting into how they work, bridge elections, what CIDR is, etc.

I wanted to make a post about VLANs and IoT just to share my thoughts on that but after how well my candle analogy went off I might have to think it through.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ugh I'm at that stage of finishing my network cabinet where everything is held together with the "temporary" patch cables I could find and it's time to start measuring and ordering ones that are fit for purpose.

I'm having that weird internal struggle trying to stay motivated now that I have most things working how I want and a big part of me is just like "eh dude do it later" but then I look at the cabinet and it's just got random loops of cable sticking out everywhere and there's no way this will stand.

Any thoughts on those ultra-slim patch cables? I'm not exactly sure what the catch is, being so lithe.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

They work - if you’re taking like the 28awg cat6a. One of the RCDD fellows I worked with had told me they cause derating or certification issues. But they work for PoE and gigabit. I don’t know if we have any mgig channels running over them faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm all gig and a smattering of PoE for now so that's really all I needed to hear, thanks.