Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/Itsanniechang/status/1482073101525348356

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Takes No Damage posted:

It's pretty heavily implied that it's going to get read and then published by that trash newsletter office, so eventually The Truth will come out. What difference that will or won't make is left as an exercise for the reader.

e:

What's Katana's deal (from Suicide Squad)? She wears a big metal mask and her sword traps the souls of her victims, sounds pretty familiar...

I dunno I'm not actually that well versed in dc comics. The Suicide Squad is a deep well of forgotten DC characters that fought Batman, Wonder Woman and Superman

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

The only important character when it comes to the Suicide Squad is Amanda Waller in my estimation.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Man, the police station scene at the end set to Reckless Love's 'Monster' was so good. The cinemaphile might nod knowing, pushing up their glasses and murmur how Gunn was drawing on his experience from Slither.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senator Drinksalot posted:

I dunno I'm not actually that well versed in dc comics. The Suicide Squad is a deep well of forgotten DC characters that fought Batman, Wonder Woman and Superman

Katana is from Batman and the Outsiders, she's not traditionally a member of the Suicide Squad. A large chunk of their lineup are former Flash villains.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

Katana is from Batman and the Outsiders, she's not traditionally a member of the Suicide Squad. A large chunk of their lineup are former Flash villains.

Yeah, I think she's connected to the Squad these days mostly because she was in the movie for whatever reason.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, I think she's connected to the Squad these days mostly because she was in the movie for whatever reason.

Yeah, and even lately she's been more connected to the Bat-books again.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Much like Harley right?

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Harley's first appearance was in batman the animated series right?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yes, she was just supposed to be one of Joker's goons.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

According to her Arkham Asylum bio, her first appearance was in a comic from October '99. However in searching that, there's a Reddit thread about that very thing that seems to believe the did appear in the animated series shortly before that, leading to some confusion as to what her 'official' origin was meant to be.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Either way she's never been associated with the squad until the movie?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Either way she's never been associated with the squad until the movie?

I believe she was put on the team in the New 52 which was before the film.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Yeah, she was created for the animated series in 1992, and then jumped to the comics seven years later.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

See? Amanda Waller is fhe only important part of the squad

Senator Drinksalot fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 6, 2022

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Man, the police station scene at the end set to Reckless Love's 'Monster' was so good. The cinemaphile might nod knowing, pushing up their glasses and murmur how Gunn was drawing on his experience from Slither.

It's a level of cinematography that has not been matched by any 9ther comic book show

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

I believe she was put on the team in the New 52 which was before the film.

Yeah, they'd sort of been pushing Harley into an anti-hero role by that point if I have the timeline in my head right (so highly dubious) but she was super close to a Deadpool-level breakout and she'd developed a pretty strong fan following as well so being put on the team with all the villains made sense, which I'm sure is why Ayer picked her.

Shageletic posted:

It's a level of cinematography that has not been matched by any 9ther comic book show

Feels like it's outdoing Boba Fett as the other big concurrent genre streaming show as well.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
https://twitter.com/Itsanniechang/status/1490144803274694659

Annie Chang asking the real questions.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Senerio posted:

https://twitter.com/Itsanniechang/status/1490144803274694659

Annie Chang asking the real questions totes adorbs.

If anybody is able to be unbutterflied it better be her. She's got the congressman bug so she's the defacto leader I think, should still have plenty of screen time in the last 2 eps at least.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Takes No Damage posted:

If anybody is able to be unbutterflied it better be her. She's got the congressman bug so she's the defacto leader I think, should still have plenty of screen time in the last 2 eps at least.
While I agree that I want more Sophie Song, it seems unlikely.
https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1490147882959314949?cxt=HHwWioC5qdfmiK4pAAAA

Maybe the bug will impersonate her a bit. Looking forward to a scene when she gets to meet Augur again.she was not fond of him.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Feb 6, 2022

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Very confused at all of the 'maybe you can be un butterflied' talk both here and Twitter given that it's pretty clear they buzzsaw their way into your brain.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Harley Quinn first appeared in (and was a pretty major part of) Batman: The Animated Series and its various spin-offs from 1992 onwards. She appeared in comics a year or so later, but they were comics set in the "Animated Series" universe, not the mainline DC Universe.

She first appeared in the "real" DC Universe with some level of fanfare in 1999, and played a role in the big "No Man's Land" event that ran through all of the Batman book that year. She got her own ongoing series where she was mostly an anti-hero in 2000, and while it wasn't a particularly big hit it lasted 38 issues and ended in 2003. There was a period that she really wasn't appearing that often, with appearances here and there either teaming/fighting the Joker, before getting a significant supporting role in the infamously bad "Countdown to Final Crisis" series show-run by her co-creator Paul Dini. In 2009 Dini also added her to "Gotham City Sirens", a series about sexily drawn sexy ladies doing sexy things in Gotham City that he wrote.

The first big Harley Quinn "push" happened in 2011 when DC did their "New 52" revamp, giving every single book across the line a new #1 issue and restarting* all continuity, except where the old stories happened**, unless they happened in different ways***, etc. She was introduced in "The New 52 Universe" as a member of the Suicide Squad, which is long before the movie started filming after DC first announced plans to do a Suicide Squad movie (2009). It was still a few years before they actually got a script or director attached, so I'm assuming "put Harley Quinn in Suicide Squad" came more from DC executives than Ayer or anyone directly involved in the film.

Despite not being a particularly prominent character in published comics in the 2000s, she always had an outsized presence in fan art/cosplay/fandom, and given that DC was announcing a Suicide Squad movie in 2009 despite not having actually publishing a Suicide Squad ongoing comic between 1992 and 2011 (save for a short-lived 12 issue series in 2001-2002 that largely abandoned the characters/concepts of the Amanda Waller-led Squad from 1987-1992 that forms the basis for the current comics/movies in favor of trying to revamp the more military less superhero version of the Suicide Squad that originated the name briefly back in the 1960s), it feels like this was an attempt to revitalize two IP with one book. So it's kind of a chicken-egg things in terms of the movie and the comics.

The "New 52" Suicide Squad transitioned Harley from a relatively innocent "dress like a literal Harlequin and try not to hurt anyone too bad" to her pseudo Tank Girl Punk Rock Cave Your Fuckin' Head In look/characterization. She got her second ongoing series in 2014, and all of the various spin-off mini-series, crossovers, holiday specials, etc. really started getting pumped out in the next year or two, by which point the movie was in production.

Katana was introduced in 1983 as part of BATMAN AND THE OUTSIDERS, which was arguably the first of many superhero comics built on the idea that there is a splinter superteam that does the dirty work that the main team (in this case the Justice League) can't get involved with. Business-wise the book was created because they thought "Batman and a team of new superheroes" would sell better than the book it replaced, Brave & The Bold, formerly an anthology/try-out book which had transitioned in 1966 to an additional Batman book built on rotating "Batman Meets _________" one-shots with no clear continuing narrative.

This didn't really work in the long-term, but for the next thirty years Katana would show up pretty much exclusively when they tried an Outsiders revival (with or without Batman) or when Batman needed undercover/black ops help (with or without the "Outsiders" name). I guess you could draw a line between the "pro-active" Outsiders and the Suicide Squad, and the New 52 took that one step further by revamping "Birds of Prey" into a team of black ops spies that kept some of the Bat-Family characters from the original iteration (Barbara Gordon, Poison Ivy, Black Canary) but made them involved with Amanda Waller and "Team 7" (which was part of their largely aborted attempt to fold Jim Lee's Wildstorm Universe into the DCU). A lot of the spy/black ops stuff got sort of written out within a year or so, along with Katana.

She next turned up in "Justice League of America" which was a short-lived spin-off of the main Justice League book where Amanda Waller was trying to start her own Justice League to oppose the regular Justice League, which never really took off and the big event/crossover that it was building to kind of petered out. Katana got her first ongoing series in 2013, which attempted to actually figure out what her character/background/motivation was outside of Sword Lady on [team]. It only lasted ten issues, and then she kind of disappeared until DC relaunched Suicide Squad to coincide with the film's release in 2016. So there's zero question of whether or not that was in response to the film.

That was clearly more information than anyone asked for.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

PneumonicBook posted:

Very confused at all of the 'maybe you can be un butterflied' talk both here and Twitter given that it's pretty clear they buzzsaw their way into your brain.

I just really liked the dynamic she and her partner had going. I don't care if they come up with some bs reason that only they get healed from it or come back to life, because it was such an enjoyable part of the show.

It seems like that's not gonna be the case though, which is really disappointing but Annie Chang is killing it and I hope we see her in more stuff because of this show.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Getting attached to a side character in a James Gunn production is always a gamble

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Asuron posted:

It seems like that's not gonna be the case though, which is really disappointing but Annie Chang is killing it and I hope we see her in more stuff because of this show.

I guess it's a good thing for Annie Chang's career. Playing the mayor villain is probably great on her resume.

When she died like that I felt really bad for her, especially since that was the first time we saw the butterlyening. But mostly it was surprising to have those cops suddenly be central in the A-Plot. Up until then they were basically just on cleanup duty. Basically the relatable civilian perspective on this superhero black ops nonsense. That routine worked quite well, so I didn't expect Gunn to blow it up like that.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Did the sheriff guy that was on Murn's side already have a butterfly before the police station invasion? Like did the first butterfly get munched by the pro-senator butterfly?

Or was he just a really weird human beforehand

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

moist turtleneck posted:

Did the sheriff guy that was on Murn's side already have a butterfly before the police station invasion? Like did the first butterfly get munched by the pro-senator butterfly?

Or was he just a really weird human beforehand

He was a weird human. The references that have been made to pre-butterfly Murn have made him out to be an enormous monster so it makes sense that his friends from the old days would also be enormous monsters.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

The sheriff was butterflied with the rest of police station at the end but he was one of Murn's contacts so the guy was some deep state op that probably worked under Amanda Waller. Considering the way they treat people under them in the suicide squad movies its no wonder the guy is a loving psychopath.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Tiberius Christ posted:

The sheriff was butterflied with the rest of police station at the end but he was one of Murn's contacts so the guy was some deep state op that probably worked under Amanda Waller. Considering the way they treat people under them in the suicide squad movies its no wonder the guy is a loving psychopath.

Amanda Waller is not a nice person. The plan here was to sweep up all the butterfly people and afterwards use the diary to blame it all on a delusional and deranged Christopher Smith, who did it all on his own volition.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Feb 6, 2022

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

cant cook creole bream posted:

When she died like that I felt really bad for her, especially since that was the first time we saw the butterlyening. But mostly it was surprising to have those cops suddenly be central in the A-Plot. Up until then they were basically just on cleanup duty. Basically the relatable civilian perspective on this superhero black ops nonsense. That routine worked quite well, so I didn't expect Gunn to blow it up like that.

Well, ACAB. (All Cops Are Butterflies.)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

The only important character when it comes to the Suicide Squad is Amanda Waller in my estimation.

In the comics, the only mainstays of the Squad have been Waller, Deadshot, and Captain Boomerang (all since 1987) and Harley (since 2011). Deadshot is the ice-cold, hyper-competent professional (but was clearly rewritten as the similar Bloodsport in the second movie when they couldn't get Will Smith back) and Boomerang is the conniving, craven, weaselly comic relief chaos agent who survives against all odds (until he was killed in the opening sequence of the second movie, which actually shocked and really disappointed me, more than anything else about it).

Rick Flag was always the straight man and field leader who kept the loose cannons in line, but he was honorable where Waller wasn't always, and even earned the respect and loyalty of people like Deadshot. But he also died about halfway through the 1987 Suicide Squad series.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 6, 2022

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
For anyone who hasn’t already “Harley Quinn “ is an animated series on HBO max that is quite good. The whole run is up and is pretty funny.

You have probably seen a few of the more memeable moments now see the context behind them!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

cant cook creole bream posted:

Amanda Waller is not a nice person. The plan here was to sweep up all the butterfly people and afterwards use the diary to blame it all on a delusional and deranged Christopher Smith, who did it all on his own volition.

It only just clicked that like Bloodsport, Leota is another foil to Peacemaker. She’s just actively in the process of being turned by her parent into a monster and she’s trying to reject it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is there any reason to oppose the butterflies? Only reason I can see is if you're already some kind of radical pro-human activist or something. Don't know much about the butterflies yet besides they have as much right to be here as us and that on the surface they seem much less environmentally evil than humanity. One cow thing to feed them all, doesn't seem to drain the Earth in the process like when we feed off of it. Murn seems like the badguy, wanting to do a genocide essentially. Just hard to find reasons to be against the butterflies if you're not a human exceptionalist.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

you and everyone you care about getting their brains buzzsawed to mulch to become human puppets for them to take over the world I figure is a pretty good reason

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

The butterflies cherish the environment with all their heart. They don't care how many men, women, and children they need to brain mulch to save it.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

PneumonicBook posted:

Goons have a tendency to turn the 6 days between a show's episodes into Lost-level theorycrafting. Not even The Righteous Gemstones thread is safe.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And of course that immediately reminds me of "I acquit"

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Khanstant posted:

Is there any reason to oppose the butterflies? Only reason I can see is if you're already some kind of radical pro-human activist or something. Don't know much about the butterflies yet besides they have as much right to be here as us and that on the surface they seem much less environmentally evil than humanity. One cow thing to feed them all, doesn't seem to drain the Earth in the process like when we feed off of it. Murn seems like the badguy, wanting to do a genocide essentially. Just hard to find reasons to be against the butterflies if you're not a human exceptionalist.

I don't know how you could watch the scene of them taking over the police station and not come to the conclusion that the butterflies seem to be pretty evil. At least this faction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Their smiles are relatable because I like aphex twin