Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Orange Carlisle posted:

you and everyone you care about getting their brains buzzsawed to mulch to become human puppets for them to take over the world I figure is a pretty good reason

somebody already has taken over the world without asking me or getting my approval! Are you a fan of those who have currently taken over the world, because I'm not. What difference functionally would butterflies offer, are they as bad at governing as humans? Evidently they managed to govern well enough long enough to develop good space-tech to get here.

murder is generally only frowned upon when a species does it to itself, we don't call it murder when we use mouse traps, poison ant hills, poison the water, make leather & meat, build a shopping mall, destroy habitats, etc. murder is bad unless it's another species, so it would be hypocritical to act like we should expect butterflies to give us special treatment we don't afford to actual butterflies or anything else that tried and failed to coexist with us before. Their life cycle involves burrowing into a host sometimes, mine involves hella cheeseburgers, so what?

I'm not saying you're a racist to be prejudiced against the butterflies just because of how they were born. That doesn't need to be said, it's textbook racism.

itry posted:

I don't know how you could watch the scene of them taking over the police station and not come to the conclusion that the butterflies seem to be pretty evil. At least this faction.

How so? If you had to pick a group of people on the fly for your species to inhabit, then the police are a great choice. they are ostensibly people who have already accepted and agreed to risk sacrificing their lives in exchange for power over others. butterflies are innocent until proven guilty in a proven court of law + infinite cops < even one innocent.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Shut up

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Khanstant posted:

If you had to

Really the butterflies don't have to take over anyone at all. They can breathe the air, they can live and fly in 1 G, their high tech society is still functioning (spaceships, they have their own networks apparently connected to our internet, whatever this "cow" is). No one even knew they were there until they started taking over people.

Even if you seriously believe they needed the local cops for some reason, the captain would've been enough. Also, what about the people in the jail? Are they all "guilty" too?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That's a more compelling argument but on a gut level kind of seems like what we'd do first chance we got to be elsewhere in the galaxy or universe? I don't know what you hope for for lifeforms or the point of life on Earth but for me "surviving and expanding beyond the planet" is kind of the win-condition that leads to the sequel. Butterflies made a bad choice on a planet full of vengeful life, they're gonna die here, but it's hard not to root for intergalactic aliens ya know?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Maybe they'll just buzz saw every cops brain in america.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The first step is voting rights. We can't expect them not to buzzsaw us when they only way to get representation in this country is to burrow into an existing voters' mind.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Can Clark Kent run for president? (legally)

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

moist turtleneck posted:

Did the sheriff guy that was on Murn's side already have a butterfly before the police station invasion? Like did the first butterfly get munched by the pro-senator butterfly?

Or was he just a really weird human beforehand

I think anyone who spends a lot of time with Amanda Waller is gonna be off

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

itry posted:

idk but one of the black Supermen from another universe was president under their human alias Calvin Ellis.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Khanstant posted:

That's a more compelling argument but on a gut level kind of seems like what we'd do first chance we got to be elsewhere in the galaxy or universe? I don't know what you hope for for lifeforms or the point of life on Earth but for me "surviving and expanding beyond the planet" is kind of the win-condition that leads to the sequel. Butterflies made a bad choice on a planet full of vengeful life, they're gonna die here, but it's hard not to root for intergalactic aliens ya know?

Is Peacemaker gonna get into Fermi Paradox stuff?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I don't think aliens are rare in the DC universe.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

even as someone as enlightened and understanding as Capt Picard would immediately start blasting away any bugs hijacking a person, not sure what judomaster can even say at this point that would convince anyone

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
*watching a bug munch its way through a baby's brain* Who's the real monster here?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Tiberius Christ posted:

even as someone as enlightened and understanding as Capt Picard would immediately start blasting away any bugs hijacking a person, not sure what judomaster can even say at this point that would convince anyone

peace-sign-jar.gif

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Push El Burrito posted:

*watching a bug munch its way through a baby's brain* Who's the real monster here?

babies can be bosses now and bosses are monsters

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

itry posted:

peace-sign-jar.gif

Welp I’m convinced and I, for one, would like to welcome our new insect overlords.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Didn't the Butterflies destroy their own planet? lol. they're not some enlightened aliens that are going to live in peace and harmony with the ecosystem.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I bet they only care about the environment because if we gently caress it up they also die.

Just so happens our interests align.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

DogsInSpace! posted:

Welp I’m convinced and I, for one, would like to welcome our new insect overlords.

Gotta tape it to my back so i can use both hands tho

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

itry posted:

At one point in Superman's history he was born on Earth. He gestated in an artificial womb that didn't open until his landed in Kansas. This lead to a then-alternate future where Superman ran for and became President.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Vigilante doesn't need the Amanda Waller suicide squad bomb in his skull because he's dumb enough to do anything anyway.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Rhyno posted:

At one point in Superman's history he was born on Earth. He gestated in an artificial womb that didn't open until his landed in Kansas. This lead to a then-alternate future where Superman ran for and became President.

That's a comic book loophole/logic alright. Just have the ship be an artificial womb.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That's just the law. Sometimes pregnant women line up at borders to give birth by kinda of canon-shooting the baby out across the border where it legally is a natural born citizen of that nation. The name anchor-baby comes from the fact that before the cord is cut the baby and cord acts as the anchor and chain of citizenship vis osmosis.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Truth, Justice, and The American Way

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

itry posted:

That's a comic book loophole/logic alright. Just have the ship be an artificial womb.

They go to court over it in the book. It's very silly.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Rhyno posted:

They go to court over it in the book. It's very silly.

:allears:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

And to be fair, this was thought out years before that comic plot came up. The 1986 reboot of Superman made it clear that he was born on Earth.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

True story, the second episode I accidentally hit skip on the opening and rewound to watch it.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Eagly slightly missing his mark and then correcting is very funny.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rhyno posted:

There's only one thing in the world Superman can't break, the filibuster

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
alright so my theory is nazi dad is gonna fight with Peacemaker and at some point in the fight a butterfly(possibly the queen, qill escape the cop body) burrow up Robert Patrick's rear end in a top hat killing him in some body horror way and then peacemaker shoots the Queen when she does the smile, probably ala scanners.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

everydayfalls posted:

For anyone who hasn’t already “Harley Quinn “ is an animated series on HBO max that is quite good. The whole run is up and is pretty funny.

+1. It's not mindblowing but it's way better than an adult DC cartoon has any right to be. 2nd season drags on a little bit IMO but if you're into Batman villains it's definitely worth checking out. They made Bane :3:

moist turtleneck posted:

Their smiles are relatable because I like aphex twin

That was a cute touch, after pointing out that every person smiled differently so they have to relearn how to do it for each new body.

e:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

alright so my theory is nazi dad is gonna fight with Peacemaker and at some point in the fight a butterfly(possibly the queen, qill escape the cop body) burrow up Robert Patrick's rear end in a top hat killing him in some body horror way and then peacemaker shoots the Queen when she does the smile, probably ala scanners.

Hm doubtful. If they go to the trouble of making PM kill his dad, it would be kind of a cop out to have it not really be his dad anymore 1 second earlier. And like others have mentioned I'm expecting Vig's comments about weak points in the Dragon armor to come back up, Checkhov's Chinks style.

My pet theory for getting Sophie back is the butterflies have the ability to either go dormant or brainkill themselves, letting the person take back control of their body but keep the metahuman powers afforded by the bug in their brains.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 6, 2022

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Khanstant posted:

Evidently they managed to govern well enough long enough to develop good space-tech to get here.

From their world.

Which died.

To ours. Where they spent nine seconds before going "Lets core out people and wear them like flesh robots to take over.".

This is not a winning argument.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
When the butterflies blow up their planet and infiltrate ours everybody is up in arms about it, but when Kryptopnians do it, people want to make them president!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Peacemaker puts the bug up his dad’s butt.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Warbird posted:

Peacemaker puts the bug up his dad’s butt.

Bugger this.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mulva posted:

From their world.

Which died.

To ours. Where they spent nine seconds before going "Lets core out people and wear them like flesh robots to take over.".

This is not a winning argument.

The first things humans did after inventing agriculture was invent slavery and they never ever stopped and we are also killing our planet! We are related so closely to all lifeforms on Earth there's no reason to be simping for humes even if you think butterflies bad too.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Starting to think this pro butterfly poster might be some kinda winged parasitic alien...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Same poo poo people say whenever you present a pro-wasp perspective. Wasps pollinate and take care of pests but all anyone wants to say is kill it with fire n poo poo. All I'm saying is let them be our gods.