Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Khanstant posted:

The first things humans did after inventing agriculture was invent slavery and they never ever stopped and we are also killing our planet! We are related so closely to all lifeforms on Earth there's no reason to be simping for humes even if you think butterflies bad too.

Yes. We are killing our planet. They killed theirs already. You've found a species even more hosed up than people, good work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Shageletic posted:

Starting to think this pro butterfly poster might be some kinda winged parasitic alien...

'My "I Think Alien Bugs Should Hollow Out Our Brains Because Humans Are Kinda Stinky" t-shirt has a lot of people asking questions already answered by my t-shirt' here.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Old guy neighbor needs to be revealed as DC Comic's Phantom Stranger or The Question.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

quantumfoam posted:

Old guy neighbor needs to be revealed as DC Comic's Phantom Stranger or The Question.

Or Bat-mite.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

PneumonicBook posted:

Very confused at all of the 'maybe you can be un butterflied' talk both here and Twitter given that it's pretty clear they buzzsaw their way into your brain.

People really want death to only happen to nameless mooks, once the audience knows your name you're supposed to have plot armor
personally I appreciate that the show treats death seriously

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Mulva posted:

Yes. We are killing our planet. They killed theirs already. You've found a species even more hosed up than people, good work.

I think if sea otters had access to nuclear weapons they would absolutely use them constantly. Sea Otters are ruthless little rape beasts.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Getting attached to a side character in a James Gunn production is always a gamble

Main characters even. There's no way the main four are all getting out of this unscathed.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Mulva posted:

We're not killing our planet. Our planet's fine. Short of some astronomical collision that shatters it, our planet will continue circling our sun the same as it has for the previous billions of years.

Now, what we can do and are doing is unbalancing the factors that allow our planet to support complex life forms. Like, y'know, us. But it's no biggie. Our planet has a built-in mechanism that allows it to rebalance itself. It eventually kills off the unbalancing species and things going back to their norm.

So don't worry. Our planet will be perfectly fine. It just won't be "our" planet any more. Because we'll be extinct.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Khanstant posted:

Is there any reason to oppose the butterflies? Only reason I can see is if you're already some kind of radical pro-human activist or something. Don't know much about the butterflies yet besides they have as much right to be here as us and that on the surface they seem much less environmentally evil than humanity. One cow thing to feed them all, doesn't seem to drain the Earth in the process like when we feed off of it. Murn seems like the badguy, wanting to do a genocide essentially. Just hard to find reasons to be against the butterflies if you're not a human exceptionalist.

if they wanted to come in peace they could've parasitazed great apes
they chose not to, so gently caress 'em

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

We don’t know that wasn’t what was happening with the Grogg wannabe from the bottling plant.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Senator Drinksalot posted:

I think if sea otters had access to nuclear weapons they would absolutely use them constantly. Sea Otters are ruthless little rape beasts.

Dolphins are so much worse and we let children swim with them in overpriced resorts

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Everyone posted:

So don't worry. Our planet will be perfectly fine. It just won't be "our" planet any more. Because we'll be extinct.

This is the future liberals want

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Khanstant posted:

I'm not saying you're a racist to be prejudiced against the butterflies just because of how they were born. That doesn't need to be said, it's textbook racism.
It's speciesism and they made the wrong choice at the beginning by eating human brains instead of monkey brains so they can get stomped

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Khanstant posted:

That's a more compelling argument but on a gut level kind of seems like what we'd do first chance we got to be elsewhere in the galaxy or universe? I don't know what you hope for for lifeforms or the point of life on Earth but for me "surviving and expanding beyond the planet" is kind of the win-condition that leads to the sequel. Butterflies made a bad choice on a planet full of vengeful life, they're gonna die here, but it's hard not to root for intergalactic aliens ya know?

nah it's like the martians from the original war of the worlds, if you're not smart enough to figure out how to invade another planet safely and decide YOLO you're going to get deservedly destroyed by the natives who have as much of a right to live as you

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

itry posted:

Can Clark Kent run for president? (legally)

No, he's not an American citizen.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Relevant Tangent posted:

People really want death to only happen to nameless mooks, once the audience knows your name you're supposed to have plot armor
personally I appreciate that the show treats death seriously

same. i genuinly felt bad when sophie died and i hoped dumb partner cop would get lucky but nope. least odo suffered badly.

Relevant Tangent posted:

if they wanted to come in peace they could've parasitazed great apes
they chose not to, so gently caress 'em

yeah. that being said. i suspect that mur is lying on some level and there are/were multiple factions of butterflies and he is the last of his faction and it wasn't just the "peace" faction. idk, i am mixed. then again its loving clear that he is telling the truth on some level because the butterflies just killed like 50 people in an episode. its clear everyone except peacemaker is lying out their rear end about motives and poo poo.

its why i love this show because i have been genuinely surprised through out.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Relevant Tangent posted:

No, he's not an American citizen.

Natural born American citizen is the requirement.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Just checking in to say I'm probably on my 76th rewatch of the intro.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
I keep thinking back to the first episode with the butterfly-lady that had sex with Peacemaker and what Murn said, that there was no real hidden agenda. She just wanted to gently caress him. And it makes sense in a certain way. I mean, think about if you trade in your old car and get a high-powered sports car. You're not going to just drive to work and the grocery store. You're gonna want to take that thing out on the road, open up the throttle and see what all these new muscles and erogenous zones are about.

I admit that I'm kind of waiting for Chris to learn that all the butterflies except Goff/Song are males so he technically had sex with a guy when that happened. And then have a freakout.

It kind of puts Goff/Song on a different level. She was still capable of relating to Fitzsimmons as a fellow sentient being, trying to give him what little comfort she could allow herself. Though the scene still comes off as her reassuring a turkey that he will be there for Thanksgiving.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Fartington Butts posted:

Just checking in to say I'm probably on my 76th rewatch of the intro.

That's about me on the Monster scene tbh.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Warbird posted:

We don’t know that wasn’t what was happening with the Grogg wannabe from the bottling plant.

Grodd, and yes we do because if that was what's happening they could've all been gorillas instead they murdered a bunch of cops/prisoners.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You can't infiltrate a human society with gorillas.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

You could do so easily. Put on a trench coat and shave the body of the gorilla who you emptied of all soul. It's DC, people see weirder things on the regular.
They're taking the maximally hostile route by choice.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Maybe they took the gorilla as a last resort because unlike humans, gorilla's have pure souls.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Senerio posted:

That's about me on the Monster scene tbh.

Right? It's pure B-movie horror shlock and awesome at the same time.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Everyone posted:

I admit that I'm kind of waiting for Chris to learn that all the butterflies except Goff/Song are males so he technically had sex with a guy when that happened. And then have a freakout.

wtf is this

Also Peacemaker mentions early on it's been years since he's had sex with a woman(when creeping on Harcourt), implying he did get some in prison.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Dawgstar posted:

The shot of Song's partner running from a thousand butterflies is straight out of a 50's creature feature poster and I love that poo poo.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Maybe they took the gorilla as a last resort because unlike humans, gorilla's have pure souls.

Hey, now.

As Peacemaker himself pointed out, the Senator's kids looked to be nice enough.

Even if one was homely, that still shouldn't be a death sentence.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Rhyno posted:

You can't infiltrate a human society with gorillas.

Yeah they needed access to the production pipeline to make their food

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Dawgstar posted:

Genuinely have been humming that song nonstop the past 4 days

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Arc Light posted:

Hey, now.

As Peacemaker himself pointed out, the Senator's kids looked to be nice enough.

Even if one was homely, that still shouldn't be a death sentence.

I’m with Peacemaker in that being homely makes it worse. Super model looking kids with perfect teeth and hair who brag about parents taking them on vacations? They are the worst. Bragging about getting a brand new Xbox and mocking your ancient Sony PlayStation you bought from some guy down the street. Calling you Stinkberg because your shoes were old and laughing about how Santa wouldn’t ever come because your family doesn’t do Christmas. <sniff sniff> Homely weird kids are cool and so much better than those popular kids!
<cries>
gently caress you Todd MacClaren

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Everyone posted:

Don't be silly.

He and a male butterfly had sex with a corpse. It's totally different.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Where is this stuff about all the bugs being a given gender coming from? I don’t recall it coming up.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Warbird posted:

Where is this stuff about all the bugs being a given gender coming from? I don’t recall it coming up.

In the most recent episode talking about their leader, Murn calls her "She". When asked why, he says it's because she has a vagina.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Huh, completely missed that. Thanks.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
They asked him what her name was, and he responded that only humans name their private parts.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Relevant Tangent posted:

Main characters even. There's no way the main four are all getting out of this unscathed.

Peacekeeper, Vigilante, Eagley, ???

Everyone posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W33HRc1A6c&t=147s

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Takes No Damage posted:

Peacekeeper, Vigilante, Eagley, ???

Adebayo?

I can't tell if they're going for a miniseries vibe or a proper show her, so I dunno what the kill count is gonna end up being.

If it's a series all three survive, since they've got undeveloped plot hooks and their first in the dance. That's basically all I got though.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Mulva posted:

Don't be silly.

He and a male butterfly had sex with a corpse. It's totally different.

:yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Senator Drinksalot posted:

drat
Sea otters, ducks, and dolphins are like that?