Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BrainDance posted:

You get on the train and the little intercom message says the whole "dont smoke dont spit otherwise you will be punished and it'll affect your social credit score" thing, which is fine because really don't smoke or spit on the train.

That’s an actual message that plays on the train?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

MarcusSA posted:

That’s an actual message that plays on the train?

I mean, I'm paraphrasing but yes.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

https://twitter.com/Psythor/status/1056811593177227264?s=20&t=S6KcrvthTAWD3vUhme5Qdw

However not sure about the Mandarin announcement.

Also I don't agree with the writing on the tweet, it's just a link for the video and I'm not going to spend more time finding one without a moralistic statement. I'm all for better behavior on trains in China.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
I suspect I'm going to regret posting, but:

Social credit is a real thing, and it is significantly less sinister than it is generally reported as in the west.
Does China do sinister stuff to its citizens? Sure does, it's a state, but by the time you get to that level it's court orders, not apps and points.

How can social credit influence people's lives?

1: you can be living in some stupid city with some stupid initiatives that you can get points for. In Beijing, as noted, reading. In other cities it's recycling. Or whatever. These points are disconnected from the other stuff. Different system, same general name.

2: if you are 'convicted' (equivalent term) of certain types of fraud, failure to pay serious debts, stuff like that, you may be barred from either air travel or high-speed rail travel, or both. Note that this still explicitly leaves slow trains open. It has been suggested that it is intended to be a punishment for irresponsible business people, since most others wouldn't give a drat, but that's nothing official or sourcable. Technically a points system but actually not really, more of a y/n.

3: if you want to get your children into a different/better primary or middle school that you would ordinarily do based on your address, your entire criminal record is examined, *including* stuff that wouldn't be considered criminal in the west, like speeding tickets and other minor fines. This *is* explicitly a points system, and although it is not (yet?) tracked nationally, the system is semi-unified in terms of points gained for particular problems.

4: if you are Party, you gain some privileges (like being able to continue your career above a certain level in many sectors), but with it you gain several responsibilities, not least of which is dealing with whatever stupid poo poo your regional boss comes up with to look busy, which can include points systems and is the source of a lot of the crazier sounding requirements reported in the west. Regional, party-focused.

The stuff about credit based on your friends / contacts is, as far as I know, all commercial credit scoring stuff like lol Ant or whatever.
I'm sure that the government does passively monitor associations via social media, because they're a government, but it's not something that is presented to citizens, and it's not part of the above systems.

About those government position papers mentioned earlier:
That sort of poo poo comes out all of the time. A lot of it goes nowhere. The stuff that goes somewhere, usually does so a decade or more down the line.
They can be earnest proposals, or testing the water, some mid-level rando trying to get party cred, or other stuff.
People have this idea that the chinese government is some sort of monolith but nah. You could mine for almost any position if you just ran through enough government papers, and so that's what it seems reporters do sometimes, with translation as a barrier.
When you're viewing way less than a single percentage point of an information source, it's ultimately up to the person translating and presenting it to you what you see.

This has been my second post in D&D, and I hope it is my last. Probably won't be.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Atopian posted:

Social credit is a real thing, and it is significantly less sinister than it is generally reported as in the west.
Does China do sinister stuff to its citizens? Sure does, it's a state, but by the time you get to that level it's court orders, not apps and points.

1: you can be living in some stupid city with some stupid initiatives that you can get points for. In Beijing, as noted, reading. In other cities it's recycling. Or whatever. These points are disconnected from the other stuff. Different system, same general name.

2: if you are 'convicted' (equivalent term) of certain types of fraud, failure to pay serious debts, stuff like that, you may be barred from either air travel or high-speed rail travel, or both. Note that this still explicitly leaves slow trains open. It has been suggested that it is intended to be a punishment for irresponsible business people, since most others wouldn't give a drat, but that's nothing official or sourcable. Technically a points system but actually not really, more of a y/n.

3: if you want to get your children into a different/better primary or middle school that you would ordinarily do based on your address, your entire criminal record is examined, *including* stuff that wouldn't be considered criminal in the west, like speeding tickets and other minor fines. This *is* explicitly a points system, and although it is not (yet?) tracked nationally, the system is semi-unified in terms of points gained for particular problems.

4: if you are Party, you gain some privileges (like being able to continue your career above a certain level in many sectors), but with it you gain several responsibilities, not least of which is dealing with whatever stupid poo poo your regional boss comes up with to look busy, which can include points systems and is the source of a lot of the crazier sounding requirements reported in the west. Regional, party-focused.

The stuff about credit based on your friends / contacts is, as far as I know, all commercial credit scoring stuff like lol Ant or whatever.
I'm sure that the government does passively monitor associations via social media, because they're a government, but it's not something that is presented to citizens, and it's not part of the above systems.

That sort of poo poo comes out all of the time. A lot of it goes nowhere. The stuff that goes somewhere, usually does so a decade or more down the line.
They can be earnest proposals, or testing the water, some mid-level rando trying to get party cred, or other stuff.
People have this idea that the chinese government is some sort of monolith but nah. You could mine for almost any position if you just ran through enough government papers, and so that's what it seems reporters do sometimes, with translation as a barrier.
When you're viewing way less than a single percentage point of an information source, it's ultimately up to the person translating and presenting it to you what you see.

This has been my second post in D&D, and I hope it is my last. Probably won't be.

I do hope this is not your last D&D post because it is very informative and offers a lot of good, specific details. Thank you.

D&D 2022 under Koos Group is working to moderate not on position or ideology, but on quality of argument. So this sort of detailed insight is appreciated, as are contributions from other mainland China posters who have similar or very different experiences and perspectives.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Atopian posted:

You have 16 posts just in this thread. FWIW most of the things on that list are already pretty horrifying.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Discendo Vox posted:

You have 16 posts just in this thread.

Lmao.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Discendo Vox posted:

You have 16 posts just in this thread. FWIW most of the things on that list are already pretty horrifying.

drat lol. Must have wandered into it by a link or something, or just forgotten.
Well, I'll correct that.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Atopian posted:

drat lol. Must have wandered into it by a link or something, or just forgotten.
Well, I'll correct that.

Docking your social credit score for D&D posting, Tóngzhì

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Anyway, as Fritz said, kudos to the post.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I will say a lot of the boogeyman of China's social credit score strikes me as funny given how invasive, opaque, and oppressive the US credit score system is

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Attention: calling all tankie rape apologists to the thread to defend China. This is not a drill. Grab your battle whattabouts.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/feb/07/peng-shuai-says-weibo-post-sparked-enormous-misunderstanding

quote:

Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai has given her first interview to an independent media organisation since she alleged on Weibo that a senior Chinese official had coerced her into sex, saying it was an “enormous misunderstanding”.

The interview with French sports daily L’Équipe came as the International Olympic Committee said it wasn’t up to them or anyone else “to judge, in one way or another, her position”.

Spectators wearing T-shirts supporting Peng Shuai
IOC president vows to support Peng Shuai over sexual harassment allegations
Read more
Peng disappeared from public life after the Weibo post in November, sparking a major international campaign calling for confirmation from the Chinese authorities that she was safe and well.

Speaking to L’Équipe in Beijing, Peng said her original statement had been misunderstood. She said she had never accused former vice premier Zhang Gaoli of sexual assault and denied she had disappeared from public view afterwards.

Advertisement
The tennis star was accompanied to the interview by the Chinese Olympic Committee’s chief of staff who also acted as translator, the report said. L’Équipe was also required to submit questions in advance and publish her comments verbatim in question-and-answer form, as preconditions for the interview.

Peng thanked everyone for caring about her wellbeing, but also questioned why it had been “exaggerated”.

“I didn’t think there would be such concern and I would like to know: why such concern?” she said.

Peng said there had been a “enormous misunderstanding” over her post, which she confirmed she deleted herself a little under 30 minutes after publishing it because she “wanted to”. She did not give further details.

In early November Peng posted an essay to Weibo, describing an on-again-off-again consensual affair with the then 75-year-old, and an incident in which he allegedly pressured her into having sex after inviting her to his house to play tennis with him and his wife.

Amid what she described as “complicated feelings”, they allegedly rekindled the affair, until an argument and his failure to meet her shortly before the post.

Advertisement
In the L’Équipe interview, Peng reiterated comments she gave to a Singaporean state-controlled outlet in December, saying

I hope that we no longer distort the meaning of this post. And I also hope that we don’t add more hype on this,” she said. “I never said anyone sexually assaulted me.”

In her post Peng had described Zhang pressing her into having sex and her not agreeing, before relenting.

“After dinner I still did not want to, and you said you hated me! You also said that in these seven years, you never forgot me and that you would be good for me etc etc,” she wrote according to a translation by What’s On Weibo.

“I was afraid and panicked and carrying the emotions of seven year ago, I agreed … yes, we had sex.”

The post went viral despite its quick removal from Weibo. With efforts to contact Peng proving fruitless, and the topic completely censored inside China, the head of the Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) Steve Simon went public with his concern for her welfare, and global tennis stars began advocating under the hashtag #WhereIsPengShuai.

he saga remained off limits to people inside China, with blanket censorship banning even social media posts about “tennis”.

Almost three weeks later China’s external English-language state media began disputing the global concerns, publishing a translation of an email said to be from Peng to Simon – and which Peng later said she did write – and videos of several apparently choreographed public appearances.

In the interview with L’Équipe, Peng also said she “never disappeared” and she didn’t know why such concern spread.

“It’s just that a lot of people, like my friends, including from the IOC, messaged me, and it was quite impossible to reply to so many messages,” she said, adding that she had responded to emails from friends and the WTA but she had difficulty accessing the organisation’s online communications system.

Also on Monday the International Olympic Committee announced its president, Thomas Bach, had met with Peng face to face on Saturday, alongside former chair of the Athletes’ Commission and IOC member Kirsty Coventry.

“During the dinner, the three spoke about their common experience as athletes at the Olympic Games, and Peng Shuai spoke of her disappointment at not being able to qualify for the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020,” a statement said. It added that Peng had accepted an invitation to meet again in Europe and to stay in contact with Coventry.

The statement did not mention the allegations or Bach’s recent comments that he would support her if she wanted an investigation into Zhang.

At a press conference on Monday, spokesperson Mark Adams said the IOC as a sports organisation was doing “everything we can to ensure she is happy”.

“I don’t think it’s up to us to be able to judge in one way, just as it’s not for you to judge, in one way or another, her position,” he said.

Despite multiple attempts by the WTA, only the IOC has been able to meet with Peng.

Questions have previously been raised about the IOC’s handling of the matter, with the organisation accused of too readily accepting Chinese government assurances as to Peng’s welfare ahead of the Winter Olympics.

In her interview Peng urged against combining sport and politics, a key message of Beijing during the Olympics as it faces widespread scrutiny and criticism over its human rights records, with diplomatic boycotts and social media campaigns for commercial or viewing boycotts.

“My sentimental problems, my private life, should not be involved in sports and politics,” she said.

“Sport must not be politicised because when it is, most of the time that amounts to turning one’s back on the Olympic spirit, and it goes against the will of the world of sport and of the athletes.”

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

fart simpson posted:

I will say a lot of the boogeyman of China's social credit score strikes me as funny given how invasive, opaque, and oppressive the US credit score system is

Everyone hates the US credit reporting and scoring system, though, and sees it as a boogeyman, too. And it only uses financial variables, is formally only meant to be used for underwriting (though misused for far more), and was created and is operated by private companies that — while far more influential and powerful than they should be — have nowhere near the power of a state.

People are right to be wary of a system that would in some ways be comparable yet would add more variables (including non-financial variables), expand the scope to far more than underwriting, and house it within institutions with even more power, where the consequences could be even greater and the checks and balances even fewer. Hell, just adding zipcodes to FICO-type data would recreate redlining and could do so in a way that is obscured by machine learning.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Messing with child's education because of their (grand)parents was a classic communist EE move. It sucked but then and it sucks now too.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Smeef posted:

Everyone hates the US credit reporting and scoring system, though, and sees it as a boogeyman, too. And it only uses financial variables, is formally only meant to be used for underwriting (though misused for far more), and was created and is operated by private companies that — while far more influential and powerful than they should be — have nowhere near the power of a state.

People are right to be wary of a system that would in some ways be comparable yet would add more variables (including non-financial variables), expand the scope to far more than underwriting, and house it within institutions with even more power, where the consequences could be even greater and the checks and balances even fewer. Hell, just adding zipcodes to FICO-type data would recreate redlining and could do so in a way that is obscured by machine learning.

The problem with US credit reporting is really when it is being used to make decisions about things other than if someone is a good credit risk. It is statistically speaking very good at predicting future payment behavior based on past payment behavior, and is also updated as payment trends change and as variables are emphasized or de-emphasized based on more current data. But a person can be really good at paying bills on time and still be bad at their job, and vice versa. FICO scores are not meant to be used to determine employment or insurance decisions, and they miss a lot of important variables for those because that isn’t what they are designed to measure.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Xarn posted:

Messing with child's education because of their (grand)parents was a classic communist EE move. It sucked but then and it sucks now too.

What does EE mean?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Centrist Committee posted:

What does EE mean?

Eastern Europe, presumably

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Centrist Committee posted:

What does EE mean?

As Rust Martialis said, Eastern Europe.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Smeef posted:

yeah, what I think it's boiling down to is that there's nothing about the tentatively envisioned and test-implemented system that's good unless you're committed to the argument that "the chinese government doing it is fine because _______________" ... because practically none of the program parameters are anything we wouldn't be horrified to have added to existing systems in other countries, including our own.

You can sidestep all the people who buy into this farcical notion of it as some universally implemented 1984-style thought control department. When you look at a picture of what implementation has been played at, it's not relieving. you think "oh, so it's like Experian married your terrible HOA and birthed a crossover mutant that can hang hard educational attainment limits on your children" yeah gently caress that

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Somaen posted:

Attention: calling all tankie rape apologists to the thread to defend China. This is not a drill. Grab your battle whattabouts.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/feb/07/peng-shuai-says-weibo-post-sparked-enormous-misunderstanding

i mean, it honestly seems like peng shuai genuinely does not perceive what happened to her as sexual assault (even though it absolutely was sexual assault)

i've posted about how i think what happened to her was a rape culture thing and i dont think she's being directly coerced so much as being motivated by the same challenges facing victims of assault everywhere and simply deciding its not worth pursuing it. that said, it also could be she personally minimizes what happened to her for any number of reasons.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
I guess also in the meantime the original video ending of Fight Club is back as it was, more or less?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Somaen posted:

Why did you bold the section where she brought a translator?

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Smeef posted:

Here's an interview about this very topic that recently dropped. I haven't listened to it yet, but the interviews I've heard on this podcast before are good. Edit, forgot the link: https://supchina.com/2022/02/03/how-chinas-laws-and-social-credit-system-actually-work-explained-by-jeremy-daum/

Are you still arguing that it doesn't even exist? I'm pretty sure you're the only person in this entire exchange who is questioning its very existence.

There is overwhelming, credible evidence that this system exists and is not just some curiosity of a T4 local government. The lack of direct experience from goons is more a reminder that we have no mainland Chinese posters here (to my knowledge) and few posters with actual China experience, and thus a tiny, non-representative sample to work with. I'm not writing off their experience, because it's my experience, too. But I'll be the first to say that despite having never encountered this system personally, it's pretty obvious that it is a Thing.

So here is a relevant section from that interview:

quote:

Kaiser: So, let’s clear on this. I mean, there is a Social Credit System. There are pilot programs in multiple areas that have something that is without a policy described as a Social Credit System. So, what is it and what is it not, in where we are today in January 2022? What is its reality?

Jeremy: Yeah, the Social Credit System is real, but when I describe it to people, they’ll say, “Well, so you’re saying the Social Credit System isn’t real?” Because they have such a firm notion of what that phrase means.

Kaiser: Right.

Jeremy: What it really is, is sort of a regulatory credit check system. It’s primarily aimed at businesses, not at individuals. And social credit is pretty routinely defined as a measure of people’s compliance with laws and legal obligations. So, it’s not a holistic measure of all your behavior. It’s not an algorithmic formulation based on what you did online, what you bought, who your friends are, what you said, what you posted about. It measures whether or not you’ve received administrative punishments, criminal punishments, whether you’ve applied for permits, or a registered a business, things like this.

So, most of the information going into it is what they call public credit information, which is information created or collected by the government in the course of its normal business. So that’s to say that the creation of the idea of the Social Credit System didn’t involve collecting much more information.

What it did involve was sharing information between regulatory agencies, and they’re now making it so that if you violated say a food safety law… In the past, you might… The food safety regulators would know that that had happened, but it’s now available for the public to see in most cases. And also, other regulatory agencies will see this.

Ok, so you have a regulatory credit system that monitors businesses for poor behavior, and helps keep businesses in compliance with the law. I don't see what's so controversial about that.

Also lol at the part in bold. I wonder why so many would come to that conclusion after hearing what the "social credit system" actually is in practice

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Thank you for your insight. So it essentially boils down to incentives to do [whatever the city wants to prioritize], punishing & publicizing white collar crime, privileges for party members (though it sounds like you're basically picking up a part-time job for it), and limiting out-of-district school options for people with a criminal record.

Personally, I'd only find the last one contentious, and obviously that partially depends on the severity of the system ("parking ticket = stay in your district" vs. "Serial burglar who's been clean 10 years = send your kid to Beijing").

Echoing other posters in saying it'd be appreciated if you, and other china citizens/expats, lurked the thread for momebts like these.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Why did you bold the section where she brought a translator?

Seems quite obvious, captain.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Smeef posted:

Smeef, I just want to say that I really appreciate your posts.

therobit posted:

The problem with US credit reporting is really when it is being used to make decisions about things other than if someone is a good credit risk. It is statistically speaking very good at predicting future payment behavior based on past payment behavior, and is also updated as payment trends change and as variables are emphasized or de-emphasized based on more current data. But a person can be really good at paying bills on time and still be bad at their job, and vice versa. FICO scores are not meant to be used to determine employment or insurance decisions, and they miss a lot of important variables for those because that isn’t what they are designed to measure.

This is true, but they are definitely utilizing it for more than credit risk evaluation, in part because the three major credit agencies have no qualms about selling the data "anonymously", and it can also definitely act a a barrier at times for people even when it is used for credit risk evaluation, such as keeping the "wrong people" out of apartment complexes, etc.

For any country, not just China, I tend to take a "Maybe the US isn't the best example to copy in this regard...", which is a pretty expansive list.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Red and Black posted:

Also lol at the part in bold. I wonder why so many would come to that conclusion after hearing what the "social credit system" actually is in practice

Because it's got literally nothing to do with the meme in everyone's head of an Orwellian surveillance state combined with automated algorithm hell where literally every action and circumstance about you is graded by an unfeeling machine and can ruin your life at a moment's notice.

If anything, that always felt like projection.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Out of curiosity, what was the general reaction in this thread 2-3 years ago when the western media initially reported on the non-existant “social credit system” which assigned a number to every citizen that could be raised or lowered based based on desirable or undesirable behavior?

Was there skepticism? Was it largely accepted unquestioningly? Have those who accepted it at the time learned to be more skeptical of these kinds of narratives?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I feel like the discussion of the social credit system would benefit from agreement on what a social credit system is and maybe examples of what would qualify and what wouldn't.

Is a local/provincial system where the government tracks your compliance with traffic laws and assigns 'points' to your license that can build up to punishments like extra fines or denial of the right to drive a social credit system?

Is a kid collecting Pepsi Points to earn rewards for demonstrating their loyalty to PepsiCo by encouraging their family to buy more Pepsi products a social credit system?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Red and Black posted:

Out of curiosity, what was the general reaction in this thread 2-3 years ago when the western media initially reported on the non-existant “social credit system” which assigned a number to every citizen that could be raised or lowered based based on desirable or undesirable behavior?

Was there skepticism? Was it largely accepted unquestioningly? Have those who accepted it at the time learned to be more skeptical of these kinds of narratives?

Why don't you scroll back yourself and find out.

These past two pages have devolved into strawman arguments where posters keep talking about some wide spread belief in some orwellian system countrywide when exactly one person (CommieGIR) made that assertion that was quickly shut down by everyone.

Then it moved to pics or it doesn't exist territory by two posters who have consistently poo poo up the thread with bad faith posting despite the fact that people have posted government documents that attest to its existence on some form or another.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

MikeC posted:

These past two pages have devolved into strawman arguments where posters keep talking about some wide spread belief in some orwellian system countrywide when exactly one person (CommieGIR) made that assertion that was quickly shut down by everyone.

It is extremely widespread. -100 social credit is like THE standard thing to say to chinese people (or just anyone that looks asian at all) on the internet under every video or anything they ever make.

"Social credit score" and "winnie the pooh is banned" are like the two things people "know" about china when they want to be extremely lovely. And beyond that the general way a lot of people get information about china is hearing one news story of a thing that happened once and then deciding that is a core fundamental part of chinese people's lives.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

MikeC posted:

Why don't you scroll back yourself and find out.

ok

MikeC posted:

But there is one really good thing about the US Satan vs the PRC Satan. The US Satan doesn't jail you for burning the US flag, saying the US is poo poo, saying that the system should be overthrown. We can have internet forums where we spew bullshit without government censors deciding what can or cannot be published. Want to start a religious cult? Go ahead. You can march on the street as a BLM member and riot and burn down buildings to protest the unequal treatment of ethnic groups. You can be a Trump nutjob and storm the capital building. Unless you were a ringleader, nothing is probably going to happen to you. If the CCP was in charge, you and all your friends would all be in jail or some reeducation camp for posting poo poo against the government. Or at the very least your social credit rating would tank to the point where you couldn't get any kind of service and you would effectively be ostracized. Started some religious/spiritual cult? Time to crack down with persecution and torture! BLM riots? LoL, roll in the tanks, please.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

when will they implement social debit so I can pay for my crimes immediately

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I'd rather the thread not descend to users going back years to dig up posts made by other users for literally no other reason than a petty-minded gotcha.

This is a discussion thread, not two crowds of supporters jeering at each other while breathlessly cheerleading for their own team.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

He straight up asked me to do it 🤷

and in any case, isn't running in here to declare breathlessly that nobody believes in this or that model of a credit system existing in China, whilst having expressly held that view just a few months prior, something of a sign of bad faith?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It is extremely widespread. -100 social credit is like THE standard thing to say to chinese people (or just anyone that looks asian at all) on the internet under every video or anything they ever make.

"Social credit score" and "winnie the pooh is banned" are like the two things people "know" about china when they want to be extremely lovely. And beyond that the general way a lot of people get information about china is hearing one news story of a thing that happened once and then deciding that is a core fundamental part of chinese people's lives.

Not in the thread though. What you are doing is projecting behavior that you disagree with at large onto posters here and then going to town.

Red and Black posted:

He straight up asked me to do it 🤷

and in any case, isn't running in here to declare breathlessly that nobody believes in this or that model of a credit system existing in China, whilst having expressly held that view just a few months prior, something of a sign of bad faith?

How is that even a gotcha? If you go on a violent protest that is what happens to you. That post doesn't in any way imply a country wide system that is used to track every individual, only problematic troublemakers. In fact the posts in recent days shows it to be true.

Other posters have confirmed that a tanked social credit score, should one be assigned to you means losing access to services. I have posted CCP releases that specifically say that poo poo shouldn't happen.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

If one has a "score" that "tanks" after going to a protest, that sort of implies that they had a higher score prior to coming under the notice of the state at said protest. Which in turn implies that it is a universal thing.

If you were just trying to say that those who go to protests are marked for surveillance and punishment there are plenty of more natural ways to get that across without referencing an ubiquitous social credit number. But that is exactly what you did and now you're trying to backtrack

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Atopian posted:

I hope it’s not, because it’s the most accurate one I’ve seen here in a while.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Red and Black posted:

If one has a "score" that "tanks" after going to a protest, that sort of implies that they had a higher score prior to coming under the notice of the state at said protest. Which in turn implies that it is a universal thing.

If you were just trying to say that those who go to protests are marked for surveillance and punishment there are plenty of more natural ways to get that across without referencing an ubiquitous social credit number. But that is exactly what you did and now you're trying to backtrack

So what I should have said is that your social credit score, should it exist in the jurisdiction in which you engage in anti government activities in, and should that system specifically punish said activities instead of just hauling you to jail, and has specifically enacted punishments in the form of services denial, will get you ostracized?

So this way I leave no leeway for anyone to ever make a bad faith out of context quote, interpreted in the most ungenerous manner, months later? Lol, Gotcha!

At the end of the day, I don't know what you are trying to say here. We have established that the social credit system exists. We have established the limits of such systems and that everyday citizens do really interact with it. Do you object in any meaningful manner to this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Can you first define what a social credit system is before we declare whether or not it exists? Because you've made contradictory claims as to what it is or isn't l.