Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I played for about 6-8 hours and did the story until I got to the second area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

You aren't playing video games right if you do not beeline the msq and finish in 3 days so you can move onto the next game like a locust with insatiable hunger.

sorry but the proper way to play video games is to play a lot right away and get distracted before finishing

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I just got to the second area and turned the game off for the night last night.

1. Can I go back to the first area right away? I want to go do all the QZs and more notable side content before getting sucked into the second map.
2. Didn't they add some form of fast travel to this one? I haven't seen any yet but I could have sworn they put it in.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Sloober posted:

sorry but the proper way to play video games is to play a lot right away and get distracted before finishing

I do this, count the game as 'still being played' and come back 2-3 years later, which is what I did with dying light. Played about 2-3 bursts of it (doing side-stories all the time), finally finished it, did the following in about 2-3 bursts too over a couple of years.

I'm 'playing' about 15 games currently, maybe more.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dl1 took me about four years to finish

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Been playing Skyrim for a decade and still haven't finished the main quest.

Finally got to the 2nd area and man I suck at using the paraglider. Is there any upgrades to make this thing easier to use and where do I get it?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Noirex posted:

Finally got to the 2nd area and man I suck at using the paraglider. Is there any upgrades to make this thing easier to use and where do I get it?

All nightrunner tools are upgraded with Military Tech which you get from airdrops ontop of buildings.

Both upgrades for the glider make it extremely good.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Noirex posted:

Yeah with even the first upgrade the paraglider gets a lot easier to use since it lets you pitch up and actually use it like a glider somewhat.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Noirex posted:

the first upgrade lets you do little kickups to gain a touch of height, vastly extending the distance able to be traveled. also personally it seems like the game loves eating your deploy inputs so you have to mash

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

veni veni veni posted:

Did anyone else spend way too long wandering around the bazaar trying to figure who they didn't talk to? Felt like that was a super poor explanation of what I was actually supposed to do.

I had to look it up because I'd already received both quests and finished one but didn't want to leave the bazaar until I made sure I received all the quests. But what happens is that when you go off to do the quest that ISN'T inside the bazaar you'll get a call to move the story forward with Sophie.

Diephoon posted:

I assume "Survivors" encompasses more than just The Bazaar, but man do they not want me to like The Bazaar based on all of Aiden's interactions with them.

Yeah I think the point is you don't like either side. I basically gave the water tower to the PKs because Sophie's douche little brother pissed me off so much. Seriously, gently caress that dude. But also gently caress the PKs, so it's tough.

Calaveron posted:

The plot wouldn't be so bad if ... I could punch Barney right to his stupid dick face and then toss him to the zombies

:yeah:

One thing I gotta prop them for is the fact that the 'skip' button skips to the next line of dialogue rather than skipping the entire conversation. So you can move through them at whatever speed you can read which for me is pretty fast. Or you can just skip them all if you legit don't care.

Sloober posted:

i usually just do valuables dark areas since the other crafting mats don't feel rare enough to go for, and every valuables one you loot up is worth usually around 3-4k. I also do any of them that have inhibitors so you can leave that first area with like ~40? or 10-12 levels worth

Once you move into the central loop you can still go back to Old Villedor right away and harvest inhibitors right? There were a bunch of cases where I was detecting inhibitors but just couldn't figure out how to get to the drat things. I'd guess there are a LOT I missed because I'm going to the central loop and I feel like I have maybe 6 or 7 health/stamina upgrades.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i assume i want to rush the story at least that far before i arse about with side quests & collectibles, right

(e) to the paraglider, i mean

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Patch 1.0.4 is out on Steam and Egs

quote:

Patch 1.04 - PATCH NOTES
Hello Survivors!
Patch 1.04 for PC is LIVE on Steam and EGS. We’ve added the following fixes. The remaining tweaks are being worked on. Thank you for your patience!

Patch Notes:
- fixed various game crashing bugs
- fixed AI dead body replication in co-op
- added DLSS improvements
- fixed issue when players couldn't sell valuables to vendor
- fixed artifacts being sometimes visible on some AMD cards
- fixed mouse key binding options (meaning: you should be allowed to rebind your mouse buttons, we are still working on an additional implementation for extra mouse buttons)

I sure as poo poo hope they fixed the inactive quest issue I have, where after each cut scene, either to start a quest or in a quest, I have to exit the game and start again, otherwise the next goal won't activate.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

After all the hubbub about bugs and and fatal errors in this game, it's basically run like a dream with RT on and I pretty much haven't had a single bug. For some reason this always happens to me, other people complain a bunch about bugs and I just never end up experiencing them, not sure why.

Really the only bug I had was a dead zombie I pushed off a light fixture was still standing straight up but was completely still and dead. And maybe a couple things where the post-death ragdoll effect ended up doing a funny thing. But man, overall it has looked and played excellent and I'm glad I didn't let that effect my decision.

Also really happy that I'm not regretting my decision to play through the refund window. Now I have like almost 20 hours in the game and I love it.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Would be nice if they fixed my compass randomly disappearing until I toggle the map.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Sloober posted:

As a side bit of funny i knocked one down and did the head stomp and somehow stomped my own head, killing myself.

lol, make this the thread title

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Mr Hootington posted:

Cool! I haven't run into either yet. Looks like the developers lied and people complaining about no guns have no leg to stand on!

Yah the DIY gun (with , I assume, DIY ammo) is a two shot blunderbuss that you get the blueprint for late in the game. Its cool because it counts as a tool so you don't have to switch out your melee weapon for a quick "get off me" shot, Aiden just fires it with his offhand, screenshots of which are probably what led people to believe there was dual wielding in the game. And then theres a compressed air speargun thats more long range and high damage, very slow reload, but I haven't seen it in game, just seen it in demo footage.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Twitch has drops for the game going on. Idk if they are blueprints or what.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
In other news I tried to loot the GRE research facility at night and only got through the top lab and one inhibitor crate before I couldn't get past any more doors. At that point it became day and virals were spawning in in droves. I was thinking of finding a good chokepoint to at least farm some uncommon trophies, but then I went into a hallway : screaming volatile! nearly poo poo myself. I did well on reaction, got to the stairwell, parkoured on the drainpipe towards the exit, he was about to catch me but I smashed a molotov in the doorway, giving me enough time to sprint into the light of day. I felt pretty impressed with myself and trotted over to the zipline, casually jumped towards it, failed to grab it and plummeted to my death lol.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Story is getting a little eyeroll worthy. Playable dream sequences should be a game dev warcrime. Writing feels a little lazy because everyone is willing to not execute me the moment I give them a pretty good reason to. I’m also forgiven instantly for anything I might have done. Definitely Speech 100 vibes.

Also I fought the giant deaf dude and looted his body, but then he came back on screen soon after. Did he merely faint from the four dozen stab wounds I gave him? I had to sleep afterwards so I haven’t played the game since. Also what did he say in French?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Mr. Pool posted:

In other news I tried to loot the GRE research facility at night and only got through the top lab and one inhibitor crate before I couldn't get past any more doors. At that point it became day and virals were spawning in in droves. I was thinking of finding a good chokepoint to at least farm some uncommon trophies, but then I went into a hallway : screaming volatile! nearly poo poo myself. I did well on reaction, got to the stairwell, parkoured on the drainpipe towards the exit, he was about to catch me but I smashed a molotov in the doorway, giving me enough time to sprint into the light of day. I felt pretty impressed with myself and trotted over to the zipline, casually jumped towards it, failed to grab it and plummeted to my death lol.

classic DL 2 story. I've done that to myself multiple times, sometimes I even accidentally jump off the zip line because it's like I'm not totally sure if I actually got on there or not, or whether you can just hold jump to grab on or if you have to press it (I think you just hold it and if you get close enough you'll grab it) but I always get a little nervous that I just won't for some reason

buglord posted:

Story is getting a little eyeroll worthy. Playable dream sequences should be a game dev warcrime. Writing feels a little lazy because everyone is willing to not execute me the moment I give them a pretty good reason to. I’m also forgiven instantly for anything I might have done. Definitely Speech 100 vibes.

Also I fought the giant deaf dude and looted his body, but then he came back on screen soon after. Did he merely faint from the four dozen stab wounds I gave him? I had to sleep afterwards so I haven’t played the game since. Also what did he say in French?

Yeah basically, you didn't actually kill him. Which is cool because I didn't really feel like killing him.

And yeah, turns out writing an open world game is pretty hard because there are parts of it that just aren't going to make sense no matter how you try and write it. It requires some suspension of disbelief, which I'm willing to give it as the story just doesn't matter that much to me over the gameplay and general worldbuilding.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sloober posted:

Nah. Between TW:W3 and Elden Ring coming out this month I need to put a bow on this post-haste. No side quests, only meat.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mr Hootington posted:

It's a couple weapons and a face mask. Meh

Play
Apr 25, 2006

One thing I wished I hadn't done was save better weapons due to worrying about them breaking. That just makes them useless once the common weapons do a bunch more damage than them, like I've got blue and purple quality weapons but they just don't do enough damage anymore because I picked them up several hours of playtime ago.

Just use your best four weapons at all times pretty much, they will be regularly restocked.

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

Drop kicked a bandit of a ledge, nearly slid off myself. Seconds later I see two more bandits fly overhead and plummet to the earth quickly followed by my drop kicking friend.

Best upgrade hands down.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

buglord posted:

lol I hate that in games. Just make a drat cutscene stop making me slow walk through boring hallways

Yeah apparently, if you look closely he is roughed up in the cutscene next time you see him. Woulda felt a little bad if you actually killed him tbh

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
If only I could have killed Barney or whatever his name is instead.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Mayman10 posted:

Drop kicked a bandit of a ledge, nearly slid off myself. Seconds later I see two more bandits fly overhead and plummet to the earth quickly followed by my drop kicking friend.

Best upgrade hands down.

absolutely, upgrade your health to 180 first thing so you can get drop kick, it makes things so much more fun and adds a new layer of depth to the combat.

Hub Cat posted:

lol I hate that in games. Just make a drat cutscene stop making me slow walk through boring hallways

Yeah apparently, if you look closely he is roughed up in the cutscene next time you see him. Woulda felt a little bad if you actually killed him tbh

I've only had the one dream sequence but I don't remember it slowing you down, pretty sure I just hauled rear end through those hallways to get to the end quickly

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Play posted:

One thing I wished I hadn't done was save better weapons due to worrying about them breaking. That just makes them useless once the common weapons do a bunch more damage than them, like I've got blue and purple quality weapons but they just don't do enough damage anymore because I picked them up several hours of playtime ago.

Just use your best four weapons at all times pretty much, they will be regularly restocked.

Yeah don't bother not putting mods on until you need to repair, just mod everything all the time and pick up new weapons and mod those.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Play posted:

I've only had the one dream sequence but I don't remember it slowing you down, pretty sure I just hauled rear end through those hallways to get to the end quickly
It's more a general criticism:shrug:. I think the ones in DL2 are merely boring. Making you seize up and fall over is bad too though imo

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 7, 2022

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

Nah. Between TW:W3 and Elden Ring coming out this month I need to put a bow on this post-haste. No side quests, only meat.

I'm pacing myself because this is my chill second fiddle game that I'm pairing with the last stretch of my DS3 replay and then Elden Ring. Parkouring aimlessly around zombie city is a really good chaser for gettin mad at video games. I probably won't start trying to finish the story until I'm done with Elden Ring.

veni veni veni posted:

I like the game a lot but 100%. The first one felt 10 times more dangerous when just roaming around. It's weird cause I saw reviews talking about how it's a game of "the floor is lava" but it feels more like the floor is just a floor.

Yup I miss how threatening zombies were at the start of DL1, it made getting around feel a little more like a puzzle. Missing a jump and dropping to the street isn't a big screwup anymore, just some fall damage, whatever.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ciaphas posted:

i assume i want to rush the story at least that far before i arse about with side quests & collectibles, right

(e) to the paraglider, i mean

i'd do some side quests because they're good xp

Play
Apr 25, 2006

The side quests are more gameplay so they are basically the same as the story quests for me. Less cutscenes and stuff but that's not big loss. Unless you are laser-focused on finishing the game as quickly as possible like OP they're totally worth it. Oftentimes they take you through areas with inhibitors that you would want to go through anyways at some point.

I have a question though: are there inhibitors in the starting areas that can't be accessed at that point in the game, before you go the central loop? Or can you find all of them?

And there aren't icons for them right? You just gotta use the chest radar on the GRE key to find them?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

I linked my techland account to my psn one a few days ago and claimed the goodies and still haven't gotten that cavalry sabre in my stash.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

explosivo posted:

Yeah don't bother not putting mods on until you need to repair, just mod everything all the time and pick up new weapons and mod those.

With how quick everything breaks, it's just so much easier to think of Every single thing in this game as 100% disposable even those artifact weapons

My only thing is I stick to one weapon until it breaks and then I switch to something else.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I also want to know if there are gone-forever inhibitors. Like during the first metro bit I went past one, thought 'I need to get this' then forgot it and thought later: "I bet it's a final-fantasy-style 'gone forever' item!"

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe

acksplode posted:

I'm pacing myself because this is my chill second fiddle game that I'm pairing with the last stretch of my DS3 replay and then Elden Ring. Parkouring aimlessly around zombie city is a really good chaser for gettin mad at video games. I probably won't start trying to finish the story until I'm done with Elden Ring.

That's fair. Honestly the whole first act was complete trash compared to the second one. As soon as Rosario Dawson showed up the story took a turn for the more interesting. I'll probably go back and collect missed quests/inhibitors later but I'd almost given up on ever listening to any of the dialogue. At any rate it's a good month for games!

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Scruffpuff posted:

Has anyone noticed if the spikes work or not? In the first game you could kick zombies into spikes and it was a nice meaty crunch. So far I've kicked many into things that looked like spikes, but they don't seem to do damage. Is it a bug or anomaly etc?

Yes spikes work.

:nms:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I read some people saying that the zombies don't stick on the spikes but humans do and I think that tracks with what I've seen. They said it was a bug that the devs mentioned but this was some random rear end in a top hat on the steam forums so it was probably complete bullshit.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I'm up to level 5, dropped the game from hard to normal and now I'm an unstoppable beast. Once you have 400 stamina you can swing your weapons forever. The PK crossbow is extremely strong even with regular bolts. I have all of the important parkour skills (no grappling hook yet though) so navigating the city with an upgraded glider feels great. I feel like I could kill everything just by drop kicking them repeatedly. I've been stacking armor but I'm wondering how much damage I could do with full medic parkour damage gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Zombies stick to spikes, your kick just doesn't send them flying into them as much as the first game so it's harder to get them to make contact.