Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Warmachine posted:

ftfy

I've been trying to get into Katoki's headspace since I first saw the thing. It's like he took Wing Zero, Zephyranthes, painted them in Titans colors, then remembered this was for SRW game and added the visor and leap slasher. The visor goes away in the "midseason upgrade" but the weapons pack looks kinda dumb too. Again like someone bogey taped this setup on the back of something it wasn't designed for.

(And mind you, most of the problem with the flight unit is that the graviton rifles and black hole cannon are stored pointing upwards like loving smokestacks.)

It's just a kitbash of various existing Huckebein designs.

The base Huckebein 30 is just a Mass Production Huckebein Mk-II frame, with a couple elements from the original Mk-II (like the head and color scheme) and the Exbein (a few body elements). The big yellow visor and hazard tape over red plating are drawn from the Exbein Ashe. It seems like the wing binders and ear antennae were redesigned, since they don't match any of the other Huckebein/Exbein designs, but that's about the limit of the new stuff here.

For the 30th, there doesn't seem to be any official lineart, but the big backpack is extremely similar to the base Exbein's optional flight pack. The only thing that's really new here is that they attached all the traditional Huckebein big guns to the backpack, instead of having them materialize from nowhere or be sent from the ship in battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh cool does Recovery actually heal units? I thought it was just a rescue/move command

Yeah it heals/recharges a good chunk every turn(and fully replenishes ammo immediately), they do have to spend a full enemy phase inside the ship for this to happen though. They also take a morale hit but as Vizuyos said that doesn't really matter much. Units can also directly board a ship by moving onto it or be teleported on with the ships' EX Rescue command(which doesn't use the units' turn or lose them any morale if they leave immediately, so it's helpful for movement. However they won't get recharged without spending an enemy phase in there, at which point they will take the morale hit).

Vizuyos posted:

The base Huckebein 30 is just a Mass Production Huckebein Mk-II frame, with a couple elements from the original Mk-II (like the head and color scheme) and the Exbein (a few body elements). The big yellow visor and hazard tape over red plating are drawn from the Exbein Ashe. It seems like the wing binders and ear antennae were redesigned, since they don't match any of the other Huckebein/Exbein designs, but that's about the limit of the new stuff here.

For the 30th, there doesn't seem to be any official lineart, but the big backpack is extremely similar to the base Exbein's optional flight pack. The only thing that's really new here is that they attached all the traditional Huckebein big guns to the backpack, instead of having them materialize from nowhere or be sent from the ship in battle.

The 30th's main problem is that it doesn't really have anything of it's own. It's just A Huckebein.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol I both misunderstood what the repair skill does (tossed it on the battleship) and underestimated how weak the gunblasters are. They ate poo poo and I didn't see a repair option from the big boy.

Keep firing champs you'll almost do half damage to something :v:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 3, 2022

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

RBA Starblade posted:

e: Is there a way to mark enemy attack areas like in Fire Emblem or do I just eyeball it and hope for the best?

Clicking the right stick will highlight a square, so if you manually work out the threat area you can mark a couple of squares. I think that's the best you get.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I can't wait until I can reassign people into not gunblasters but also then the shrikes won't have shrike team assault so there's no perfect solution.

Warmachine posted:

I've been trying to get into Katoki's headspace since I first saw the thing. It's like he took Wing Zero, Zephyranthes, painted them in Titans colors, then remembered this was for SRW game and added the visor and leap slasher. The visor goes away in the "midseason upgrade" but the weapons pack looks kinda dumb too. Again like someone bogey taped this setup on the back of something it wasn't designed for.

(And mind you, most of the problem with the flight unit is that the graviton rifles and black hole cannon are stored pointing upwards like loving smokestacks.)

Vizuyos posted:

The 30/th is actually almost entirely the katoki design of the original PTX/RTX-008 Huckebein. The 30 has Ashe-like plating and warning tape, albeit less-meaningfully applied (It's just covering random armor bits; on the Ashe it's mostly covering the areas where the Sliders connect which look pretty weird without the sliders), and while it lacks the original Huckebein's wings it adds a new pair of binders that actually store the leap slashers which pretty much came out of hammerspace before. the 30th removes the extra armor, re-adds the original Huckebein's wings outboard of the leap slasher binders, which is mostly fine, but then it adds mounting points for all the other weapons which is a little awkward. The black hole cannon between the leap slasher binders is just a little awkward because of how drat big it is, but it evokes the Exexbein's strike shield which is something. Then it puts the twin graviton rifles with added wingy bits on the side on the outboard side of the wings, which honestly is a little top-heavy; I'd prefer them to be pointing down or just mounted overshoulder or on the side skirts, and it'd be cooler if they still combined like the twin buster rifle for the final stage of the attack instead of just being held out awkwardly. Also I kinda liked the face covering part that got removed.

TL;DR It's the classic Huckebein modded with references mostly to the Ashe and Exexbein, could be better but as someone whose favorite huckie is the 008 design I think they did a decent job with it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Lol I both misunderstood what the repair skill does (tossed it on the battleship) and underestimated how weak the gunblasters are. They ate poo poo and I didn't see a repair option from the big boy.

Keep firing champs you'll almost do half damage to something :v:

Yeah the early victory units are uh Not Good.

I guess it beats earlier games where using the dash's strongest attack sacrificed the legs and Uso had to spend the rest of the fight as a weird torso

actually that kind of ruled

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yinlock posted:

Yeah the early victory units are uh Not Good.

I guess it beats earlier games where using the dash's strongest attack sacrificed the legs and Uso had to spend the rest of the fight as a weird torso

actually that kind of ruled

You have that same attack in Gundam Maxiboost, if you do it again you yeet the arms off too and turn into the little core fighter

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Unrelated to anything, does anyone else think this game is a little skimpy on spirit pools for the Brave Police? Like, I understand not giving Build Tiger three or four, but Fire J-Decker could have had two.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they cut back on subpilots in the v onwards games. ig its a balancing thing but who really cares. like in t gekiryujin and choryujin only have one spirit pool.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Endorph posted:

they cut back on subpilots in the v onwards games. ig its a balancing thing but who really cares. like in t gekiryujin and choryujin only have one spirit pool.

This has always been the case in SRW, and is actually consistent to the Brave series. Combiners in the Brave series aren't, like, two pilots in a combining robot, their personalities fuse into a new one, and while they also to some degree still have their own separate consciousnesses, it's the gestalt personality that does all the actual fighting and stuff (which is a necessary part of the combination, as the combined personality is representative of the combined robots' wills being synchronized).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oh I remembered the GGG combiners in W having separate spirit lists when combined but you're right, they are deployed as separate units but when they combine they get a new spirit list for the combined form with its own SP pool.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Endorph posted:

Oh I remembered the GGG combiners in W having separate spirit lists when combined but you're right, they are deployed as separate units but when they combine they get a new spirit list for the combined form with its own SP pool.

What's great about W is that they properly represent the opposite effect, as well, with both forms of Mic Sounders having their own unique spirit command list to represent their different personalities.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Modern W remake please. Or a fan translation that’s be rad too

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Boy, even on max difficulty these aren't hard games once you get some levels in huh

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
The majority of challenge lies in SRW games comes with the optional SR points and the games that don't have them are usually considered to be very easy. Not so much 30's problem because you can easily one turn every stage by daring to engage with any of the upgrade mechanics because of how grossly overpowered you can become.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

EthanSteele posted:

The majority of challenge lies in SRW games comes with the optional SR points and the games that don't have them are usually considered to be very easy. Not so much 30's problem because you can easily one turn every stage by daring to engage with any of the upgrade mechanics because of how grossly overpowered you can become.

The moment you get enough confirms to hit + with the battleship's map attack (70-90% to hit everything already huh) + "get your turn back on a kill" = lol, lmao. The game's action economy has gone into hyperinflation

Struggling to keep the gunblasters and Hexa alive and figure out the precise actions I need to also kill something this turn, retreat enough no one else will die, and how to place the battleship just so to accomplish this was fun but carpet bombing the galaxy is fun also

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

EclecticTastes posted:

This has always been the case in SRW, and is actually consistent to the Brave series. Combiners in the Brave series aren't, like, two pilots in a combining robot, their personalities fuse into a new one, and while they also to some degree still have their own separate consciousnesses, it's the gestalt personality that does all the actual fighting and stuff (which is a necessary part of the combination, as the combined personality is representative of the combined robots' wills being synchronized).

Fair enough, I guess I'm just salty at not getting Focus back since it's my favorite spirit.

Kitfox88 posted:

Modern W remake please. Or a fan translation that’s be rad too

Yes please.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

The Golux posted:

Fair enough, I guess I'm just salty at not getting Focus back since it's my favorite spirit.

Oh, yeah, I'm right with you, there, I was somewhat annoyed that Fire J-Decker's spirit list wasn't just identical to J-Decker's; Focus on a Brave is pretty incredible.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I just Full Upgrade Bonus'd the Methuss so it'd get a resupply device. If it's gonna be useless in combat it should at least be good at support... But that was kind of a lot of money >>_>>

Reiska
Oct 14, 2013

EclecticTastes posted:

This is also cutely reflected in the fact that Build Tiger has an almost-full spirit list right on join, when most units only have 2 or 3.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

The Golux posted:

I just Full Upgrade Bonus'd the Methuss so it'd get a resupply device. If it's gonna be useless in combat it should at least be good at support... But that was kind of a lot of money >>_>>

Methuss is at least a pretty good candidate for Extra Arms (although Giant Sang Yung is a much funnier option if you obtain that secret).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I hate the Rabbits so much

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I'm trying to decide if the White Ark is useful or if it's better to just put marbet back into the V Gundam/Hexa or Amuro's old Gundam or something. I currently put the boys into the empty victory gundams because I don't know who in the world could ever need four Gunblasters.

Also, does the second V2 also inherit upgrades or just the first one?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

The Golux posted:

I don't think it does.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

The Golux posted:

I'm trying to decide if the White Ark is useful or if it's better to just put marbet back into the V Gundam/Hexa or Amuro's old Gundam or something. I currently put the boys into the empty victory gundams because I don't know who in the world could ever need four Gunblasters.

The White Ark looks like it's a good supply-and-support boat, but I don't think I've used the Supply command or the "use a consumable part on someone else" skill even once in 30, so I always leave it sitting empty in the back of the hangar next to the Gunblasters.

Marbet has a very support-oriented skillset, so it's probably more optimal to put her in the White Ark, but as a combat pilot she's not noticeably worse than the rest of Victory's numerous mediocre pilots flying the worst mechs in your lineup.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
none of the victory mooks are any good but that's the point. srw games usually include the option of raising up a lovely pilot in a lovely mech to invincible murder god.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
A dedicated mediocre support unit just seems a bit wasteful when I'm at the point where I have some repair/resupply parts and two Nu Gundams that aren't being used for anything else

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I trained up the Shrike Team and Marbet because I wanted to at least try to use them, but ultimately only Junko and Marbet wound up on my final team lmao, and they were both mostly carried by overpowered machines.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I use supply stuff sometimes when I'm going particularly ham with high-EN or low-ammo finishers, but point taken. I just usually deploy groups by series of origin and/or plot appropriateness, so I was considering because I will probably deploy Marbet with Usso still.

Kinda wish Junko and Cony could bring Strike Team Assault with them if you put them in something decent.

Unrelatedly I've been getting "Setup" errors with combination attacks sometimes even when the units involved are adjacent, what does that mean?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Repair and Resupply units are less about actually Repairing or Resupplying (though that can still be useful in the right situation) once you hit midgame and more an easy, low resource way to level support pilots. Especially in 30 where you can't control who gets the free levels/kills in the little side mission nodes like you could with Sub-Orders in earlier games with that feature.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

The Golux posted:

Unrelatedly I've been getting "Setup" errors with combination attacks sometimes even when the units involved are adjacent, what does that mean?

Probably means one of the units doesn't meet the energy or morale requirement.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

WrightOfWay posted:

Repair and Resupply units are less about actually Repairing or Resupplying (though that can still be useful in the right situation) once you hit midgame and more an easy, low resource way to level support pilots. Especially in 30 where you can't control who gets the free levels/kills in the little side mission nodes like you could with Sub-Orders in earlier games with that feature.

It's also good for this yeah.

Thuryl posted:

Probably means one of the units doesn't meet the energy or morale requirement.

Oh, I didn't realize the second partners needed to meet the morale requirement if they're deployed, since they can otherwise just pop out of the ship to do it. I guess the damage being higher makes it make sense though.

(I was going for one of the relic of steels and was planning on using double burning fire for it, but luckily koji's full assault was good enough)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is there a reason not to give as many people hit and run as possible? The action economy is already pretty broken I guess

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

RBA Starblade posted:

Is there a reason not to give as many people hit and run as possible? The action economy is already pretty broken I guess

If you don't have the IBO DLC, yeah. If you do, once you get Orga, you can give Charge to your entire team as his Supporter skill. With him also giving everyone Accel for a turn for free, battles don't really last longer than 2 turns (and once you get more SSP, you can pop his skill several times).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Brunom1 posted:

If you don't have the IBO DLC, yeah. If you do, once you get Orga, you can give Charge to your entire team as his Supporter skill. With him also giving everyone Accel for a turn for free, battles don't really last longer than 2 turns (and once you get more SSP, you can pop his skill several times).

Lmao I have it but haven't gotten the mission yet, disgusting

Also are the game's damage and hit/evade calculations laid out anywhere? I have a pretty good idea what things are going to do and when but I'm not sure what determines things like the range of damage

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

yeah even just the passive "Accel for everyone first turn" makes orga incredibly useful, especially since supporter passives still work on missions where you can't use supporter actives.

Reiska
Oct 14, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Lmao I have it but haven't gotten the mission yet, disgusting

Also are the game's damage and hit/evade calculations laid out anywhere? I have a pretty good idea what things are going to do and when but I'm not sure what determines things like the range of damage

As a matter of fact, yes! The damage formulas haven't really changed much since SRW Alpha or so as far as I know, and definitely not since as far back as SRW J - I wrote myself a damage calculator for J in Excel and it still works for checking damage numbers in 30 without changes.

For attack damage calculations:
  • Calculate base attack power: Take the attacking pilot's CQB or RNG stat (as appropriate for the weapon used), add Morale to it, then divide the result by 200. Next, multiply the result by the weapon's power, then multiply by the appropriate modifier for the weapon's terrain ranks and the target's terrain (1.1 for S, 0.8 for B, 0.6 for C; no change for A).
  • Calculate base defense: Take the defending pilot's DEF stat, add Morale to it, then divide the result by 200. Next, multiply the result by the defending unit's Armor stat, then apply the defending unit's terrain modifier if applicable (the one pictured on the map; in SRW 30, if one applies, it is always to multiply by 0.9).
  • Subtract base defense from base attack power and you get base final damage. Multiply this by the appropriate size difference modifier if there is one. (-10% damage for every size larger the defending unit is than the attacker; each level of Ignore Size reduces the effective difference by 1. There is no bonus for being larger in 30.)
For hit chance calculations:
  • Calculate base hit rate: Take the attacking pilot's HIT stat, divide it by 2 (round down), then add the attacking unit's Sight stat. Multiply the result by the appropriate modifier for the attacking unit's terrain ranks and terrain (1.1 for S, 0.9 for B, 0.8 for C, and 0.4 for D, here). Add the listed accuracy bonus of the weapon being used and any bonuses to accuracy that may be applicable from the attacking pilot's skills or things like command auras or Kei's ace bonus.
  • Calculate base evade rate: Take the defending pilot's EVD stat, divide it by 2 (round down), then add the defending unit's Mobility stat. Multiply the result by the appropriate modifier for the defending unit's terrain ranks and terrain (same multipliers as for base hit rate). Add any bonuses to evasion that may be applicable from the defending pilot's skills or things like command auras.
  • Subtract base evade from base hit rate to get the base hit chance. There's a few more modifiers to apply at this point, but I admittedly don't remember all the specifics for this game - some SRWs apply a multiplier here for size difference but I don't know if 30 does. There's also a small additive/subtractive modifier for distance from the target - IIRC, "base" hit chance assumes you're 5 squares away, and every square of deviance from that is +/- 3 to the final hiit chance. There's also the consecutive targeting correction modifier, which mostly you'll only see for enemies attacking you; every time a given unit is attacked within a single phase and is *not* hit, a cumulative +5 bonus is applied to the final accuracy of subsequent attempts until an attack hits or the phase changes.
  • Finally, apply Focus if it's cast.

Reiska fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 8, 2022

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I assume things that say they modify final accuracy apply in the same step as Focus?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Finally watched Gridman after the game got me into it. It's good. I had assumed SRW30 sped up the plot at some points but no, the show basically did it at the same speed and I find that funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kitfox88 posted:

Finally watched Gridman after the game got me into it. It's good. I had assumed SRW30 sped up the plot at some points but no, the show basically did it at the same speed and I find that funny

I did K&M and I was actually surprised how brief the 13-episode show was. I still give it a thumbs up for being reasonably self contained and accomplishing what it set out to do. There's a bit of a 'wait what about those elves?' left after the end, but I presume the show didn't do anything about that because Ernie doesn't care.

Kerhilt gets a better showing in SRW30, just as an FYI, than she does in the show. Up to and including surviving.