Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
+1 last page instead of last post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

:agreed:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I actually feel like the intent was for it to be last page and maybe something got mixed up?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The Dave posted:

I actually feel like the intent was for it to be last page and maybe something got mixed up?

I blame myself, it used to say last post but went to the top of the last page. I thought they might want it to say last page instead of post but instead it got changed to go to the bottom of the page :shrug:

Snowy posted:

The last time I mentioned this I should have kept my mouth shut. I said that the links at the bottom of the page should say first page/last page since it went to the top of the last page, not to the last post.

Then it got changed to actually go to the last post, which to me kinda sucks because then I go Last Post >end of last page>immediately scroll back to top of last page.

Maybe other people want to catch up by only reading the very last post of a thread but I pretty much always want a little context so starting at the top of the last page of the thread was way better.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

spanky the dolphin posted:

The long press menu on a thread or bookmark has a last page button in case you didn’t know about that, so you could do what you want that way.

Whoa, I had no clue that was a thing. Thanks!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Hi all. I’ve had this problem for years on the app but never got around to complaining until today, but is there a way to fix double bookmarked threads? The only way to fix is is by deleting one bookmark, but then upon refreshing it will have deleted both. Then I have to find the thread, bookmark it again, and hope it only has one entry on my bookmarks list.

Also it only seems to happen with threads I’ve created.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
YouTube links with time stamp seem to play from the start

Eg https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887592&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=550#post521332479

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Just got a heads-up that the Awful app beta that’s on TestFlight has expired.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yes happened to me last night too. Couldn’t get anything to work other than just download the regular app.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I am also stuck with the current app store version, like some kind of caveman.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
anyone else get signed out and their saved app settings wiped?

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

not me.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

teen phone cutie posted:

the login times out eventually, and, if i recall correctly, stuff like favorite forums gets wiped on logout.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

teen phone cutie posted:

yes and I can't log back in... whats the deal!

Condimentalist
Jun 13, 2007
Sorry if this is a dumb question but I am newish to IOS and the IOS awful app: is there a specific rhyme or reason that swipe right to Go Back doesn’t work? If I open a thread from my bookmarks and want to go back to my bookmarks, sometimes the swipe right gesture works, but other times it seems to do nothing and I have to use the back button in the top left

Still my favor iOS app so far :)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Condimentalist posted:

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I am newish to IOS and the IOS awful app: is there a specific rhyme or reason that swipe right to Go Back doesn’t work? If I open a thread from my bookmarks and want to go back to my bookmarks, sometimes the swipe right gesture works, but other times it seems to do nothing and I have to use the back button in the top left

Still my favor iOS app so far :)

You have to swipe from the very edge of the screen. If you have a thicker case it might be causing that issue. You’ll get better at it as you use it more because it used to be kinda hit or miss with me too but it’s better now.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
for some reason I can't log in on the app any more... I got logged out somehow and can't log back in. The password and ID is the same that I use on my browser but it wont work now. I've deleted and reinstalled it and still nothing. Any ideas?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I can’t use the app whatsoever now? It won’t open and crashes immediately, then if it does open, it won’t open a thread

E: restarting the phone is working for now, but will keep an eye on it

teen witch fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Mar 2, 2022

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

While I know search would be a whole thing, perhaps "Find on Page" could be implemented?

I sometimes am trying to find a recent page with a matching keyword, and sometimes I just accidentally tapped the top of the screen and need to get back to where I was. I feel this is probably less work to implement than a true search.

In the meantime is there a way to jump back to wherever the hell I was on the page if i do bonk the top on accident? It gets tedious to find where I was on an image-heavy page like the comic strip megathread.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i've seen a couple ios apps that pop up a button to jump back to where you were when you trigger that scroll so hopefully it's not too hard to implement.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius
Tweetbot does a thing where if you tap the top of the screen again it just takes you back to where you were.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Is there a way to have the Awful app show the entire last page instead of just the last post when I open a thread? I miss that from the Android version.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Kirios posted:

Is there a way to have the Awful app show the entire last page instead of just the last post when I open a thread? I miss that from the Android version.

Press/hold on a thread title in the forum list / in your bookmarked threads, you should get a popup, Last Page is an option there.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Is there a way to have a pasted YouTube link with embedded time work so that the time is saved? I could swear this used to work, but it may have been the Android app.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Minor bug: I tried to edit my post and lost network connection, I got “Image upload failed” as the error message. Sorry no screenshot because I hammered the post button again after walking closer to my WiFi.

E: I didn’t try to upload an image.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Silly Burrito posted:

Is there a way to have a pasted YouTube link with embedded time work so that the time is saved? I could swear this used to work, but it may have been the Android app.

Boosting :)

Man Plan Canal
Jul 11, 2000

Listen to the madman
Style request: Is there any way to slightly increase the left-right margin between avatars and usernames and slightly increase the vertical margin separating post headers from posts? Like a few pixels at most in both cases? On an iPhone 10, stuff is a little cramped together and I think the density-readability tradeoff would be a little better.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

There is a big visual update nearing completion that addresses this!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Updating to iOS 15.4 caused some visual weirdness in Awful! I’m starting to see what look like little hamburger menus in posts.

That post is here

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Mar 15, 2022

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

something weird with “smart” punctuation? just enabled it to see what happens posting from ios. can’t wait to see what the output is

e: hmm, renders normal. maybe some android or other os is doing something weird with smart quotes

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Mr. Fix It posted:

something weird with “smart” punctuation? just enabled it to see what happens posting from ios. can’t wait to see what the output is

e: hmm, renders normal. maybe some android or other os is doing something weird with smart quotes
There are windows cp1252 smart quote along with unicode ones - it could be either of them.
windows ones here ‘ ’ “ ”
unicode here ‘ ‛ ‟ ”

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

There are windows cp1252 smart quote along with unicode ones - it could be either of them.
windows ones here ‘ ’ “ ”
unicode here ‘ ‛ ‟ ”

fwiw those all look fine to me on 15.4 but the ones in the Xbox post are also broken for me. Also quoting the Xbox post seems to just get rid of them

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

101 posted:

fwiw those all look fine to me on 15.4 but the ones in the Xbox post are also broken for me. Also quoting the Xbox post seems to just get rid of them

I see relatively similar behavior on iOS 15.3.1 (haven't updated yet). Overall I see:
  • No visible quote chars on the post itself:

• Invisible quote chars when editing a quotation of the post itself:

...although I can see they DO exist if I delete the word "It’s" char-by-char from my own quotation.
  • Regular visible smart quote chars when I preview my own quotation:

• ...and they display perfectly fine on the Awful website in my Safari:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
15.3.1 and I click on the linked post I just plain don't see any apostrophes or quotation marks, but they're visible when quoted below. 🙃

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
It doesn't seem possible to switch back to the default app icon if you change it to something else

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hello I posted this bug in QCS and was directed here.

1) last night I attempted to ignore list a user in GBS who is an IK elsewhere on the forums from iPhone app

2) I was given this message

3) the user is NOT Larry Parrish NOR or they a Mod//Admin, they are an IK named A GLISTENING HODOR

4) I tried 4 times and then just posted about it in QCS, where I was directed here by others who believe this to be a bugged interaction between how IK’s function and the ignore user list.

Just bringing this to your attention, thanks from the bottom of my heart for making such a nice app for browsing and thanks for having Dark Mode!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
You won't be able to add anyone to your ignore list while you have a mod / admin / ik on your ignore list via the app, nor would you be able to add an IK to your ignore list via any method, sorry.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s NBD, they keep getting probed for harassing me anyway. Just wanted to bring this to your attention as it was showing me an entirely separate users name so it seems like a bug. Cheers!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
For what it’s worth, as I mentioned in the QCS thread, you can always ignore users with the website by clicking the ignore button under their post. It works there, even if you have a mod on your ignore list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah, somebody said that the person they're trying to add is an IK. If that isn't true, use the website, click their profile and click "Add User to Ignore List" at the bottom.