Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

May I recommend pickled shredded lettuce?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

ogopogo posted:

Never really messed with shredded lettuce but felt like giving it a go today.

Homemade sourdough potato buns came out really nice, thanks for the recipes and tips y’all.

[timg]https://i.imgur.com/yxXJOb5.jpg[[/timg]

This looks amazing. Can you share the bun recipe?

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

Random Hero posted:

This looks amazing. Can you share the bun recipe?

Of course!

To Start:
Wets:
-310g warm milk
-120g sourdough starter
-1 egg
Drys:
-7g salt
-24g sugar
-50g potato flour
-300g Nuvola flour (or whatever’s around)

Using a stand mixer, combine in bowl and mix on low with the paddle attachment. Approx 1 minute of mixing should yield a wet, shaggy dough. Scrape down sides and shape into loose ball, cover and rest for 30 minutes

Final Mix:
-50g softened room temp butter
-150g flour

Now using the dough hook attachment, start the mixer on low and add in small amounts of butter and flour over 2-3 minutes. Continue to mix for a further 5 minutes, stopping to scrape down sides and flip dough ball as necessary to mix all the ingredients thoroughly. By the end the dough will seem very wet and not cohesive.
Remove the dough from the mixing bowl and with oiled hands give it a few quick bench ball forming movements to tighten up the mass, then place seem side down in lightly oiled bowl.
Cover and let rest for 3-4 hours in warm place. Give it a fold once every hour, 2-3 times is fine.
After this bulk proof is over, it’s time to form the buns.
Pour dough ball onto work surface and divide into 110g balls. Place balls in bun tray and firmly press them down and around to fill the tin bottom. We want to de-gas and squish these quite a bit.
Cover in plastic, then set another sheet tray with a weight on top of your buns, so that they can’t rise past the top edge of the bun tray.
Let proof for 2-3 hours.
Oven at 380-400F.
Egg wash the buns and top with sesame seeds if desired.
Bake 20-25 minutes, rotating the pan once to ensure even browning.

Remove and let cool completely on a wire rack before storing in a ziplock bag.
Makes about 8 buns. I usually do 6 in the burger bun tray then two larger buns on a separate sheet tray for torta style bread.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

ogopogo posted:

Of course!

This is awesome. Thanks! I'm making some sourdough sandwich bread right now and I'm planning on making some burgers and buns on Sunday with my new bun pan. Might have to give these a shot.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

ogopogo posted:

Never really messed with shredded lettuce but felt like giving it a go today.

Homemade sourdough potato buns came out really nice, thanks for the recipes and tips y’all.

[timg]https://i.imgur.com/yxXJOb5.jpg[[/timg]

:captainpop:

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

May I recommend pickled shredded lettuce?

Tell me more about this…

Sloppy rear end double today.
Burger grind I have is pretty mediocre so trying to get through it before the next batch.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
To be honest? I would enjoy eating those buggies

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

ogopogo posted:

Tell me more about this…

Burger grind I have is pretty mediocre so trying to get through it before the next batch.

Holy poo poo dude

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Made some burgers tonight with home ground meat. They were good but muted by the fact I hate my hand crank grinder and it pissed me off the whole time.

I figure spending maybe $100 for an electric grinder would be worth it, any recs?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

tangy yet delightful posted:

Made some burgers tonight with home ground meat. They were good but muted by the fact I hate my hand crank grinder and it pissed me off the whole time.

I figure spending maybe $100 for an electric grinder would be worth it, any recs?

Got a KitchenAid mixer?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Moey posted:

Got a KitchenAid mixer?

Yes actually we do. Just having an attachment would certainly be nice from a storage perspective on top of the cost savings too, do you have one (and like it)?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Yes actually we do. Just having an attachment would certainly be nice from a storage perspective on top of the cost savings too, do you have one (and like it)?

I don't (but I should probably), but I have used them in the past.

Not amazing, but it works, and is nice to not have to store a separate grinder. Keep your meat cold and toss the grinder attachment in the freezer for a few hours before.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
goddamn y'all killin it lately holy gently caress.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

ogopogo posted:

Tell me more about this…

I base mine off something J. Kenji Lopez-Alt made, although since I have zero capsaisin tolerance I leave out the spicy ingredient.

Also, that's a good burger.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

I just bought this one last month and have used it twice so far. I'm obviously not an expert on it, but it has good amazon reviews and it worked pretty well for me.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07RWYW74H?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Bony-Eared Assfish
Oct 4, 2018
Man, all of ya'll making such great-looking burgers. As I work at a burger joint I honestly very rarely eat burgers anymore, oversaturation I guess, but sometimes I still get the itch.
Now this is an ugly burger compared to most here, was really tasty though.

Martin's potato bun, aioli, iceberg lettuce, pickled red onion, pickled cukes, two smash patties (90g per) with a slice of red cheddar on each and a slice of fried halloumi. Made for a good 5min lunch break.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Bony-Eared Assfish posted:

It's beautiful.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
Sometimes the uglier they are the better they taste.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
There’s no ugly burger

Posting on the nice burger page

Bony-Eared Assfish
Oct 4, 2018

yoohoo posted:

Sometimes the uglier they are the better they taste.

Ugly, greasy and delicious yeah.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Real loving nice, looks like the bun recipe worked out well!! 10/10 would eat this burger.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Youse guys ignited burglust in me, drat you

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The Blackened Bun

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

ogopogo posted:

Real loving nice, looks like the bun recipe worked out well!! 10/10 would eat this burger.

I actually didn't use your sourdough recipe for this one but wish I had. I used the Joshua Weissman recipe from his Burger King video, and while they were good, I prefer his other recipe that starts with the tangzhong. Your sourdough potato buns are definitely next though and I'll be sure to post that as well.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Bony-Eared Assfish posted:

fuuuuuuck me

god drat. fuuuuuuuck me again.

Nice hamberders!!!!!

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Happy weekend everyone!

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
fuckin choice meat out hee tonight good looking bug mmm

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I'm gonna burg so fuckin hard tonight. This is the most positive thread on these dead gay forums.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I had four smash balls in the freezer from before I unwittingly put the screw housing and top tray from my grinder in the dishwasher and stripped all the chrome off it. Took them out to feed a friend, but we ended up drinking 5 bottles of wine and forgot that eating is a thing.

So quad-stacked hangoverburg it was.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

That thing's dangerous!
Dangerously delicious!

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I love that lattice good smash burgs get.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I want just like a basket of those served up like fries

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
feeling hungry, might burg later

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Simple burger tonight

Beef, American cheese, ketchup, mustard, mayo, brioche bun

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Smashburger for breakfast, I was out of a lot of stuff like cheese and tomatoes, so I took a fried egg instead and some shredded napa cabbage (I like it more than lettuce tbh)

That and a pot of coffee was my breakfast. Also my homemade smasher has developed a nice patina since I made it, a few turns in the oven helped.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Burger for breakfast, burger for lunch, and burger for dinner? I need to try this.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Haven’t had time to make buns but did have a chance to grind some brisket and beef cheek together and throw it on a generic soft burger bun. Absolutely slaps, great flavor with a funk that’s pleasant and delicious.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

God drat it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
I’m sorry I can’t stop this beef blend is too good