Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
It is loving hard. Although I beat the first level on my first try, I was nearing 60 years old. Like, the moment to moment gameplay isn't insanely hard but the idea of beating five levels all in one go, each of them harder than the last, that's a whole lot. Frankly I don't expect to beat the game because I don't think I'll play it enough. But I was happy I could get to the second level on my first try and if I keep playing I'm sure I can do it a lot better as well.

Controls maybe can be kind of sketchy sometimes, it can be hard to understand what you did/are doing wrong sometimes, but overall they are well-conceived and well-executed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fnox
May 19, 2013

It has sometimes inconsistent damage and things that are just, very very tough to react to so you just eat them. It's a lot like Sekiro although I felt more in control with Sekiro.

It really is Sekiro if it were a roguelike beat-em-up. It's hard, it's challenging and the core aging mechanic is a bit obtuse. But it does make you feel like a kung fu master when everything goes right.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

True, although what I hadn't realized before is that you don't need to beat it in one run, just one run combined. Because say you got to the second level really young, like in your 20s. From then on you can just start there at the same age. So it does motivate you to replay levels a lot, but then once you do really well on a level you don't need to ever come back to it really.

But yeah I need a LOT of work on parrying and dodging. It is too hard. Best strategy I have now is some lame cheese, just keeping distance as much as possible and only running up and getting a combo in every now and then until you chip them down. it's dumb

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021
I got through stage 1 with only dying once. Against "basic" enemies, if you hold parry and press down, this helps you avoid high attacks. It's seems more like a fighting game, where you find openings, strike and stop when the opponent starts to block.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

DropTheAnvil posted:

I got through stage 1 with only dying once. Against "basic" enemies, if you hold parry and press down, this helps you avoid high attacks. It's seems more like a fighting game, where you find openings, strike and stop when the opponent starts to block.

Ah so you don't need to time pressing down with the attack? That's what I thought was happening there and couldn't figure out why I couldn't get the timing right. No duh! And full disclosure I've only done one run total, haven't had much time. But I was like 55 at the end of the first level, I got rocked a bunch by the boss.

I assume if you're holding down like that though if they do a low attack it will be like you're not blocking, yeah?

Maybe I will make a Sifu thread actually rather than polluting this one

e: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3992998

Play fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 8, 2022

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I had never heard of this Sifu game, I spent some time watching streamers play it tonight and it feels great watching people mald every time they die. Then they die enough to get to my own age and quickly snowball beyond it toward elderly and it starts to feel familiar and real, real bad.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

treat posted:

I had never heard of this Sifu game, I spent some time watching streamers play it tonight and it feels great watching people mald every time they die. Then they die enough to get to my own age and quickly snowball beyond it toward elderly and it starts to feel familiar and real, real bad.

Yes my friend. Gaze into the abyss of all-gnawing entropy. And kung fu

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1190170/OlliOlli_World/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256870464/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1644260203

quote:

OlliOlli World is a bold new skateboarding action-platformer that’s bursting with personality. Flip and flow through the vivid and vibrant world of Radlandia, meeting colorful characters as you grind, trick, and air your way to discover the mystical skate gods on your quest for Gnarvana.
I know people have been waiting for this one! And I can confirm. It's nice. It's very Olliolli but expanded and tuned as a good sequel should be. Great stuff.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

treat posted:

I curse when I die and feel amazing every time I take on a group of 5+ while barely taking a hit.

I had no idea it was coming out and it turns out it's the game I never knew I wanted.

Chopstick Dystopia fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Feb 8, 2022

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I thought Sifu looked a lot like Absolver, and sure enough it's the same developer.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
i would have absolutely loved absolver if it wasn't always online, is sifu different?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

It's singleplayer.

Zhumma
Aug 5, 2006
title text
Sifu is nice, too bad the sweep attack is inconsistent as gently caress to pull off. Why put these stick twiddling moves into games when mechanically pressing two buttons at once would work better.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

On what's possibly a bit more of a long time-scale, there's apparently a lot of indie and indie-like studios working on all manner of things, according to this thread:
https://twitter.com/shinobi602/status/1490759106919116800

I'm quite interested in the game called Everywhere from Build A Rocket Boy, although I don't know if a studio of more than 400 people after 4 years qualify as indie anymore.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Jivana

quote:

Jivana is a story-driven adventure game. Embody Aelis, a water priestess who uses her powers to open the path for her community, forced to flee after the appearance of a huge cataclysm. Explore the enchanting landscapes of Jivana, use your ability to manipulate water and lead your people to safety.
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256860399/movie480_vp9.webm

Student project so YMMV but the reviews are positive and it's free.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1399750/Beholgar/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256871451/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1643637328

quote:

Beholgar is a classically styled metroidvania action adventure. Explore caverns, ancient woods, and deadly castles; battle creatures and solve ancient mysteries at the kingdom.
Thought this looked kinda bad but the video intrigued me. Mixed reviews with some complaining about high/uneven difficulty, retro controls and some bugs. Good art and music though.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I feel like there's a gulf between standard chiptune music in video games and the kind of stuff Virt does for Yacht Club. but the music in Cyber Shadow, not by Virt, I thought was pretty good...

and this trailer for Infernax (out next week) has some pretty solid Castlevania/Konami type music

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256868623/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1641915908

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

I feel like there's a gulf between standard chiptune music in video games and the kind of stuff Virt does for Yacht Club. but the music in Cyber Shadow, not by Virt, I thought was pretty good...

and this trailer for Infernax (out next week) has some pretty solid Castlevania/Konami type music

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256868623/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1641915908

Glad that's finally coming out! I played the demo for it when that came out, and it felt like it had lots of promise. Didn't seem like anything ground breaking, but I liked the style and monster designs.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

ultrafilter posted:

Jivana

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256860399/movie480_vp9.webm

Student project so YMMV but the reviews are positive and it's free.

This is decent, provided that you go in knowing it’s a free student game and keep your expectations in check (in other words, it’s very short, janky, and poorly optimized)

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Ice Pick Lodge's new game Know by Heart is out in a day or two. It's apparently far more approachable than their usual style because it's essentially a "we need money to finish Pathologic 2" gambit. I'm sure it'll be fantastic anyway.

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256816681/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1609245845

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I played Kharon's Crypt and it is a very carefully designed and fun retro game, I absolutely loved the idea of making a game boy color-esque game and the systems/puzzles in the game are interesting. However, I literally played for at LEAST 45 minutes and wasn't able to save my game once. Found multiple saving scrolls in chests but it would just say 'unfortunately, they were stolen by a pirate' or some poo poo.

WHAT PIRATE??? WHERE IS THE PIRATE!!! FUCKYOUUUUUUUU

I ended up just closing it. I was enjoying it but honestly, suck a dick for trying to force me to play a specific amount of time, or beat the first dungeon, or have save scrolls within my grasp but then rip them away for no reason. Returned.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1413370/Power_to_the_People/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256872977/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1644405413

quote:

Build and maintain a power grid for a constantly growing population, while fighting off all kinds of disasters in this thrilling resource management experience. It's time for you to give "Power to the People"! Do you have what it takes to keep the lights on?
Positive reviews, with negative reviews complaining of the need to play the full campaign to unlock everything, and some want pause available to be able to react to things better.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I've looked through the thread with threadsearch, and the future of FreeSpace-like story-driven sci-fi space simulators is basically non-existent, eh?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I've looked through the thread with threadsearch, and the future of FreeSpace-like story-driven sci-fi space simulators is basically non-existent, eh?

Maybe you'd like Chorus?

Currently playing through it and I love it.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

let me tell you about a little game called Star Citizen....

External Organs posted:

Maybe you'd like Chorus?

Or, you could play an actually good game that exists but maybe doesn't exactly match what you want.

It's more of a story driven space dogfighter, but it's a magnificent game. There's also a game recommendation thread you could ask in that should help.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

External Organs posted:

Maybe you'd like Chorus?

Trailer (either the one you linked or the gameplay) makes it look very arcade-like, which FreeSpace really isn't (well, not to the degree that Descend was) so to me it doesn't really look that interesting, since it also appears to be third-person - but probably more damning is that there's no HOTAS support (unless that's changed in the last half year).

I guess it can change by the time a release rolls around, since I'm not going to pay for the privilege of being their QA - but I guess I'll keep it in mind for when it's a full game.

Play posted:

let me tell you about a little game called Star Citizen....

Or, you could play an actually good game that exists but maybe doesn't exactly match what you want.

It's more of a story driven space dogfighter, but it's a magnificent game. There's also a game recommendation thread you could ask in that should help.
I'm a golden ticket holder (ie. I backed before it was public) who got out and made a small profit when the featurecreep showed that it wasn't ever going to be an actual game.

I thought this was the recommendation thread because it's stickied, but I guess this is the actual recommendation thread, so I'll go post there.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
is elite not what you're looking for?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

moonmazed posted:

is elite not what you're looking for?
Ah, I guess I missed saying that I've played the entire series multiple times and do intend on going back to Elite: Dangerous at some point.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
What about Everspace 2? Currently on game preview in xbox game pass (Also on steam). Perhaps more arcade-y than a true freespace game, I dunno.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

priznat posted:

What about Everspace 2? Currently on game preview in xbox game pass (Also on steam). Perhaps more arcade-y than a true freespace game, I dunno.

it's pure arcade too. And still EA. Imo better as corvs but nothing like freespace or so.

There simply is no space game which fits here. Also a reason why starcizen is still seeing that much support.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

priznat posted:

Yeah, like haldolium said, it's arcadey as gently caress - which isn't a bad thing, it's just not what I want (partially because it's there's plenty of space games that are arcadey, but also because it doesn't lend itself to HOTAS very well).

haldolium posted:

There simply is no space game which fits here. Also a reason why starcizen is still seeing that much support.
You're right, that's even why I signed up for it when I heard about it - but talking about how much it's gone off-base just makes me sad for the promise it had.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Trailer (either the one you linked or the gameplay) makes it look very arcade-like, which FreeSpace really isn't (well, not to the degree that Descend was) so to me it doesn't really look that interesting, since it also appears to be third-person - but probably more damning is that there's no HOTAS support (unless that's changed in the last half year).

I guess it can change by the time a release rolls around, since I'm not going to pay for the privilege of being their QA - but I guess I'll keep it in mind for when it's a full game.

This is all true! Except it is full release, not early access, so I would doubt they'll add that specific controller support. And while the combat is pretty arcadey I guess, there is a lot of dialogue and the side missions have a few interesting bits, although it's not amazing writing by any stretch. The trailers also are mostly action, which there is plenty of, but there's also just a lot of flying around and sometimes your character will talk to her (sentient) ship. I think it has a demo, fyi. Good luck in finding something!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Have you played Evochron Legacy and Arvoch Alliance? I haven't tried them myself but I have a similar itch and those are on my radar. They seem kinda like, passion projects from one guy more than AAA experience but the former seems more like X4 while the latter has a mission structure like freespace.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

External Organs posted:

This is all true! Except it is full release, not early access, so I would doubt they'll add that specific controller support. And while the combat is pretty arcadey I guess, there is a lot of dialogue and the side missions have a few interesting bits, although it's not amazing writing by any stretch. The trailers also are mostly action, which there is plenty of, but there's also just a lot of flying around and sometimes your character will talk to her (sentient) ship. I think it has a demo, fyi. Good luck in finding something!
I must've seen the demo button and somehow conflated it with the Early Access notice - that's the only explanation I have.
I'll give the demo a whirl.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Have you played Evochron Legacy and Arvoch Alliance? I haven't tried them myself but I have a similar itch and those are on my radar. They seem kinda like, passion projects from one guy more than AAA experience but the former seems more like X4 while the latter has a mission structure like freespace.
I watched Scott Manley's video on Evochron Legacy SE, and as if that hadn't sold me, I also found this and this - which mentions that the HOTAS I use, the X52 Pro, is supported and works well.
So I will absolutely buy the game next time I get my workstation booted.
Let's be honest, I'm probably also going to buy Arvoch Alliance once I find out how much I like Evochron Legacy

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom

If you can bend the definition of "story-driven" then perhaps X4 Foundation and its DLCs. I keep playing it on and off. But its more of a sandbox type of game with some plots (essentially storylines) which turns into construction / logistics / fleet battles game at later stages. You can of coures fly anything from scout to battleship but it is more of a luxury than requirement or even game loop.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1608040/Castle_Morihisa/
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256861853/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1637821209

quote:

"Castle Morihisa" is a roguelike featuring strategic deckbuilder. You need to build up your deck through constant battles, acquire powerful talents, and wield the power of the Fallen Heroes to unveil the truth behind the rebellion in Castle Morihisa.
Mixed reviews.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1298480/Kardboard_Kings_Card_Shop_Simulator/
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256872942/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1644453986

quote:

Open your own Card shop by the seaside! Buy, trade and sell Cards, OR keep them for your own collection! Earn reputation with customers, beat your shop goals, unlock new decorations, and host exciting events to bring everyone to the best Card shop in town!

You are Harry Hsu, a young man who recently inherited a card shop from his father, a former champion of the famous card game "Warlock." With the shop’s reputation on the line, you start working behind the counter, juggling the locals' requests while trying to familiarize yourself with owning a shop.
Positive reviews. All the made-up cards and series look interesting.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Is the card shop sim strictly a management sim or can you actually play the fictional card game too? I'm on board if it's the latter, but doesn't seem like it is.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Oenis posted:

Is the card shop sim strictly a management sim or can you actually play the fictional card game too? I'm on board if it's the latter, but doesn't seem like it is.

Yeah I don't think so, you're actually providing and buying and trading cards from a bunch of different fictional games it looks like

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

madfury posted:

If you can bend the definition of "story-driven" then perhaps X4 Foundation and its DLCs. I keep playing it on and off. But its more of a sandbox type of game with some plots (essentially storylines) which turns into construction / logistics / fleet battles game at later stages. You can of coures fly anything from scout to battleship but it is more of a luxury than requirement or even game loop.
According to GOG, I have over 300 hours in X4 already (and that seems like a low estimate) - and I'm planning another complete story-run through and completionist run once all the expansions and patches have come out.

Thanks for responding though, I do appreciate the feedback and will gladly take more.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256818132/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1610643603
Grapple Dog - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1345860/Grapple_Dog/

quote:

Grapple Dog is an exhilarating 2D pixel-art platformer. Use your awesome grappling hook to clear tricky challenges as Pablo, the Grapple Dog! Sail across 6 colourful worlds with a crew of fearless adventurers to stop the robotic overlord Nul from destroying the world!

I can recommend this one having played the demo. It feels like a long lost Nintendo DS game and it has that same first-party charm and design, and the music feels like a mix between Jet Set Radio and Jazz Jackrabbit.

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256873136/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1644486759
Know by Heart - https://store.steampowered.com/app/685670/Know_by_heart/

quote:

Misha, the protagonist, is stuck in his monotonous, dead-end job, until one day the routine is shattered as his school crush returns to town. For the first time in years Misha regains hope of escaping the ennui of his daily life. A brief but tumultuous episode of the town’s life is interwoven with the story of a gang of childhood friends coming back together. It’s up to them to journey down memory lanes and rekindle their friendship, but their memories of the past and the very bonds between them become threatened...

This is a story game by Ice-Pick Lodge. It's not going to be as obtuse or abstract as The Void or Pathologic, this is probably their most conventional game next to Knock-Knock.

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256845292/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1628994522
Powerslave: Exhumed - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1678430/PowerSlave_Exhumed/

quote:

PowerSlave: Exhumed is a KEX Engine port of the classic console game perfectly blending both the PlayStation & Saturn versions.

- Widescreen / HD Display
- Modern gamepad support
- SMAA Antialiasing
- Anisotropic texture filtering
- Achievements
- Vulkan / DirectX 11 graphics API
- Smooth object interpolation for high refresh rate monitors

PowerSlave is a looooong awaited remastering. The PC version was always inferior to the PS1/Saturn game, which blended FPS with Metroidvania back in the 90s and just had superior game design in general. There was an HD fan project years ago but it had gotten removed because of rights issues; Nightdive took over and now finally we see the rights issues resolved and the port released, with the same care given to it that Blood: Fresh Supply got.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 10, 2022

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Yeah that looks awesome been waiting for it!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1547380/KINGDOM_of_the_DEAD/
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256873238/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1644515283

quote:

Immerse yourself in a dreadful hand-drawn horror world and push Death’s armies back to the underworld!
It's got a very cool look anyways.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1149290/Derpy_Conga/
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256839272/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1640261663'

quote:

A physics-based puzzle-platformer about the importance of friendship! Gather your friends in a conga line and help them save their endangered planet, but beware: the longer the chain, the harder to control! On the other hand (haha!), journeys are better with friends on your side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
grapple dog and webbed are part of a new trend of developers correctly recognizing that the grappling hook overshadows every other movement technique available in any metroidvania game. might as well make it available from the start and build the entire game around it