Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Didn’t Raymond E Feist already write this book?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
That sounds really cool.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
cant believe stephen king finally wrote another isekai

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

deoju posted:

That sounds really cool.

some guy bestowing knowledge upon someone about a hidden portal to a different world on their property sounds really similar to 11/22/63. Plot might be slightly different with save world from good/evil battle instead of kill baddy in the past so good guy can survive.

I'll read it regardless.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010
I wonder if he'll have to find some sort of Talisman to win the day.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

That sounds so much like the Talisman that I wonder if it is the repurposed draft of whatever third book in that series King wanted to do before the other guy turned him down because King writes too fast.

Something about that symposis seems off? I kept waiting for there to be more to it but seems almost intentionally rote. I'm sure it'll sell a ton anyway.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Sounds like a remix of 11/22/63, Talisman, and Eye of the Dragon. The 'two moons' mentioned pretty much confirms that it's not set in mid-world or any other multi-verse world that he's written about so far.

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 24, 2022

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The two moons concept can only mean King is finally giving the people what they want: a sequel to Liseys Story with two boo’ya moons

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

oldpainless posted:

The two moons concept can only mean King is finally giving the people what they want: a sequel to Liseys Story with two boo’ya moons

two'ya moon

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

M-O-O-N-S, that spells two.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Canuckistan posted:

Sounds like a remix of 11/22/63, Talisman, and Eye of the Dragon. The 'two moons' mentioned pretty much confirms that it's not set in mid-world or any other multi-verse world that he's written about so far.

"My Hero's Journey is completely different from Star Wars! For one thing, we have two moons, not suns."

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Barlow cast for Salems Lot adaptation. William Sadler is a good character /supporting actor imo. I haven't actually read the book so I dunno if he's right for the role or not.
https://ihorror.com/stephen-kings-salems-lot-strars-william-sadler-as-kurt-barlow-vamp-and-has-an-official-release-date/

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Billy Summers is cool because Stephen King managed to write a fantasy about killing Rupert Murdoch. Insane but also you know, he's old, so what are they going to do, sue him?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I didn't even know they were filming this but here's a trailer for Firestarter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59MJfJPP5eo

Looks pretty terrible and my god that's some bad acting

Clarence Boddicker sighting was the lone bright spot

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 10, 2022

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I’ve always felt Firestarter was one of his lesser novels and basically skipped to the parts with John redbird

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I was pretty excited to see they wrapped filming on a new Firestarter movie, but then I realized that it may be a lovely as that horrible Stand remake.
Firestarter (1984) was pretty great in 1984, but it really could use an update now. I'm just worried that it wont a good update...

Oh... oh no.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

oldpainless posted:

I’ve always felt Firestarter was one of his lesser novels and basically skipped to the parts with John redbird

its got one of his best endings

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Yeah that was...underwhelming. If you have bad acting in your loving trailer, you've got problems right out of the box

Weird that the best Kind adaptations we've gotten over the last couple years were Netflix releases. Gerald's Game, and 1922 were quite good.

Hopefully Salem's Lot will turn out OK. I still like the original TV movie.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I read Firestarter last year for the first time in 25 years and it’s somehow better than it should be considering all the chambray wearing English professors in it. The movie should be bad because the book is bad, but it’s a fun bad.

I’m most excited to see what media company the writers consider ‘alternative’ enough at the end. It’s Newsmax’s time to shine.

deoju posted:

Barlow cast for Salems Lot adaptation. William Sadler is a good character /supporting actor imo. I haven't actually read the book so I dunno if he's right for the role or not.
https://ihorror.com/stephen-kings-salems-lot-strars-william-sadler-as-kurt-barlow-vamp-and-has-an-official-release-date/

Oh no, best case scenario William Sandler is his character from Bill & Ted. Is Barlow no longer European because I can’t see Sandler pulling off an old world accent.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
It depends, are they going for book or the original miniseries version (Dracula vs Nosferatu)? Both versions work in different ways.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
I just finished “Elevation”.

I should be beaten.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
It actually happened. Kinda feel bad for the other (arguably better) King podcast The Loser's Club.

https://twitter.com/Kingcast19/status/1496961451545796609?t=7vRmgqhZ5gyxumfmR_EuUQ&s=19

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 24, 2022

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

New Holly Gibney-centred book coming out: https://ew.com/books/stephen-king-holly-gibney-new-novel/

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

DrVenkman posted:

It actually happened. Kinda feel bad for the other (arguably better) King podcast The Loser's Club.

https://twitter.com/Kingcast19/status/1496961451545796609?t=7vRmgqhZ5gyxumfmR_EuUQ&s=19

This is the good news I was looking for today. I hate the ones where the guest has never even read the book.

Is The Loser's Club decent? I have it on my phone but I've never listened to it.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ariza posted:

This is the good news I was looking for today. I hate the ones where the guest has never even read the book.

Is The Loser's Club decent? I have it on my phone but I've never listened to it.

I really like it and wish King had gone on it instead.

That said I've only listened to a few episodes and cherry-picked my favorite books. I just like the in-depth way they talk about their personal first experiences with the books. And the movies. Like me some people saw The Shining, e.g. long before reading the books.

The Poundcake segment is always good for hot King on King sex descriptions as experienced by young readers. And weren't we all once.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Yeah LOSER'S CLUB is better if you want something that's more book-centric. I like THE KINGCAST fine enough but I simply can't listen to more talk about the same movies so it's really depends on what the guest brings.

Their interview went up with King and it was pretty good. He seemed touched to hear some love for DT and we get some good REVIVAL talk out of him too.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I recently reread Apt Pupil, for the first time in maybe thirty years.

I don't know how many of you have read it, but there are zero supernatural elements in it, and I think for me personally, it's the single most disturbing thing King ever wrote :stare:

Also learned that in the late 80s there was a film version in production, ten years prior to the one with McKellen, that starred Ricky Schroeder as Todd and Nicol Williamson as Dussander. There are people who claim that anywhere from 40 minutes to an hour of the film were shot, before the production ran out of money, and work was suspended. By the time they got enough money to continue filming, Schroeder was deemed to be too old to play Todd, so it was permanently cancelled.

King claims to have seen however much footage was actually shot, and thought it was quite good.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Then Ricky grew up to be a Nazi. Coincidence?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

MrMojok posted:

I recently reread Apt Pupil, for the first time in maybe thirty years.

I don't know how many of you have read it, but there are zero supernatural elements in it, and I think for me personally, it's the single most disturbing thing King ever wrote :stare:

Also learned that in the late 80s there was a film version in production, ten years prior to the one with McKellen, that starred Ricky Schroeder as Todd and Nicol Williamson as Dussander. There are people who claim that anywhere from 40 minutes to an hour of the film were shot, before the production ran out of money, and work was suspended. By the time they got enough money to continue filming, Schroeder was deemed to be too old to play Todd, so it was permanently cancelled.

King claims to have seen however much footage was actually shot, and thought it was quite good.

I don't think the story is that great, but I appreciate how unpleasant King makes it feel. After a while it's not about the Nazi guy living down the street, it's vignettes about this hosed up little sociopath. You can see why the film made the changes it did.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I read Apt Pupil recently as well. It kicks rear end. Feels nihilistic enough to be a Bachman story.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Apt Pupil is probably my least favorite entry from Different Seasons. I know people hate on The Breathing Method but at least that one's weird and it does a good job of capturing das unheimliche.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

They are both awesome

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I don’t get how people hate on the Breathing Method, that story is unnerving as poo poo.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
The problem with The Breathing Method is that it's in a collection with Shawshank and The Body, and good luck being in a class with those

Edit for clarity

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 11, 2022

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
apt pupil is legendary

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think there's a tonal disconnect in TBM that throws some people off, the framing device has this almost cosmic horror vibe to it that they just tease a little bit, and then the story itself is just kind of "huh, that happened?"

It's still good as hell.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think The Breathing Method just being a weird club that has some King rear end poo poo going on in the background that the protagonist wisely decided not to question is pretty brilliant, honestly. The “main” story is mundane but also in a good way.

…heck, I never thought about it but The Breathing Method is by far the most otherworldly book in the collection. God I’m dumb.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

DrVenkman posted:

I don't think the story is that great, but I appreciate how unpleasant King makes it feel. After a while it's not about the Nazi guy living down the street, it's vignettes about this hosed up little sociopath. You can see why the film made the changes it did.

It is exactly this. Not only Todd but the parallel Dussander actions. Todd making Dussander relate and relive all this poo poo, and how both of them "deal" with it. Over a period of several years.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Last Celebration posted:

I think The Breathing Method just being a weird club that has some King rear end poo poo going on in the background that the protagonist wisely decided not to question is pretty brilliant, honestly. The “main” story is mundane but also in a good way.

…heck, I never thought about it but The Breathing Method is by far the most otherworldly book in the collection. God I’m dumb.

Just realized that I've been confusing The Breathing Method with Home Delivery throughout this whole discussion and now I need to go back and reread TBM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Yeah TBM gets dismissed because it seems so out of step with those other stories, which aren't supernatural in their nature at all.

I like the world-building though, as much as I hate that term, it's great how King sketches out this weird club and hints at bigger things but leaves it alone. It's my favourite kind of just-a-peek storytelling.