Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

the olympics are a money-laundering, bid-rigging and reputation-washing scam and should be banned. world cup and the rest of FIFA too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Betty Wight
Jan 1, 2022

Mr. Fix It posted:

the olympics are a money-laundering, bid-rigging and reputation-washing scam and should be banned. world cup and the rest of FIFA too

Actually i thank the olympics should only be hosted in Greece. Let the world contribute to permanent facilities that will get used over and over. Let Greece benefit from the appreciation of the culture. It’s the least worst option.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Betty Wight posted:

Actually i thank the olympics should only be hosted in Greece. Let the world contribute to permanent facilities that will get used over and over. Let Greece benefit from the appreciation of the culture. It’s the least worst option.

Greeks don't give a gently caress about Winter Olympics though so we will have a problem with that part.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Betty Wight posted:

agree wholeheartedly that if there's going to be something like the olympics they should be held at the same location every time.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Grape posted:

Greeks don't give a gently caress about Winter Olympics though so we will have a problem with that part.

Yeah that would be a tricky part. Apparently they have some decent skiing in Northern Greece, and a major ski resort in Parnassos, so that's something. But they only sent five competitors to the 2022 Olympics, and that's typical. The IOC could also host the Winter Olympics in one country, like France or Switzerland, and then host the Summer Olympics in Greece.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

If we’re going back to old school olympics don’t forget all the nudity.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
The summer olympics could be permanently held in Greece, sure.

I think the Winter ones should definitely be held in the best place, which is obviously the place they were held when I was a child and first learned about them, and that's Lillehammer. :colbert:

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

youd want it to be in the same timezone as the summer ones so that it would be easier to plan broadcasts years in advance rather than the current crapshoot it is now. though ideally all this wasteful crap just stops anyways. trillions of dollars wasted every 2 years when there are so many problems that could be solved by that wealth is a genuine tragedy

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Betty Wight posted:

Possibly, but only if we execute the IOC first.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Nude curling would be pretty awesome

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

best rated olympics ever

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Pankration or we riot.

Betty Wight
Jan 1, 2022

The Lone Badger posted:

Possibly, but only if we execute the IOC first.

Everyone agrees to stop going to the old Olympics and instead goes to the new one that’s just “Olympics” in Ancient Greek. It’s like coke vs Pepsi

Betty Wight
Jan 1, 2022

Betty Wight posted:

Everyone agrees to stop going to the old Olympics and instead goes to the new one that’s just “Olympics” in Ancient Greek. It’s like coke vs Pepsi

poo poo this isn’t a terrible idea

Yes I’m quoting myself I know

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Betty Wight posted:

executing the IOC, while perhaps not strictly necessary for replacing the olympics, is absolutely something that should happen

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Greece is a giant unfinished construction tax scam

perfect for the olympics

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Mr. Fix It posted:

executing the IOC, while perhaps not strictly necessary for replacing the olympics, is absolutely something that should happen

I'm thinking we can work the first torch lighting into this.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

I am watching the ice hockey US vs China at the Olympics. I only found out 2 minutes before game start that NHL players aren't rosters due to civid reasons. I wanted to see the Chinese team get dunked on repeatedly. USA got the first goal.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mr. Fix It posted:

A giant international sports festival that occurs rarely enough that the occurrence is a big celebration is cool. What the Olympics are sucks hard.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Looking forward to the 2026 Pyongyang Olympics where Kim Fatty the Third wins every event without getting off his couch and every other country is disqualified for being an imperialist oppressor (except Russia and China, of course).

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

how the heck did the japanese skater become such a heartthrob in china? Did he smile and say "China good" or something

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

My balls would freeze, if I had to ski uphill both ways, in nude.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Alan Smithee posted:

how the heck did the japanese skater become such a heartthrob in china? Did he smile and say "China good" or something

he's hot, asian, and skilled. the holy trinity of asian heartthrobs.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

adhuin posted:

My balls would freeze, if I had to ski uphill both ways, in nude.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
https://twitter.com/sixthtone/status/1491762640775000064?s=21

Man, this sucks

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Could use it against the Republicans here

"Oh you're anti-abortion? well you must be pro-China since they're also anti-abortion!"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah there have been a lot of reports since China switched to have more kids mode that abortion access is being restricted. I don't think they've come for birth control yet but it's probably on the way.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Who knew that a "one child policy" would absolutely backfire when those children grew up and became old?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Despite what the various Friedmans like to write in their columns, China's pretty bad about planning for things. Korean society is also built on last minute scrambling to address easily foreseeable problems.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Who knew that a "one child policy" would absolutely backfire when those children grew up and became old?

*eyes sparrow, furrows brow and cracks knuckles*

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

Despite what the various Friedmans like to write in their columns, China's pretty bad about planning for things. Korean society is also built on last minute scrambling to address easily foreseeable problems.

"Korean"?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

They invented China a long time ago so the resemblance makes sense.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
What do we think of this? (sorry if posted already)

https://twitter.com/EnesFreedom/status/1491830779428622339

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
https://twitter.com/mujo_kun/status/1491502375294889984

Living the dream.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
How is cowlick formed?

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

They invented China a long time ago so the resemblance makes sense.

To clarify: Just Korean society?

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
After hearing the term: Army of the Little Emperors, I have this stupid image in my head of large-headed baby aliens dressed in emperor garb.

I have a feeling this is seriously wrong but darn it, I want to stat it out.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah there have been a lot of reports since China switched to have more kids mode that abortion access is being restricted. I don't think they've come for birth control yet but it's probably on the way.

They've sent up a couple of trial balloons about that, got shot down *hard* by public opinion.

Mocked so hard by randos who are otherwise too apolitical to know to be careful, that not only the post but the (government) poster got removed for at least one of them.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

shades of eternity posted:

After hearing the term: Army of the Little Emperors, I have this stupid image in my head of large-headed baby aliens dressed in emperor garb.

I have a feeling this is seriously wrong but darn it, I want to stat it out.

you're thinking of the Trade Federation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Could use it against the Republicans here

"Oh you're anti-abortion? well you must be pro-China since they're also anti-abortion!"

The most successful anti-abortion campaign was state policy in communist Romania. It was a massive humanitarian disaster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanian_orphans

There was a large conservative religious effort to adopt these children in America (many of whom had been completely and irreparably hosed by the neglect they had received in their early years see this article https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2020/07/can-an-unloved-child-learn-to-love/612253/) but they never put two and two together.