Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Meanwhile, this series is actually at least the third time that John Cena and Robert Patrick have co-starred together. They also appeared in season four, episode 10 of Psych which was entitled "You Can't Handle This Episode" way back in January of 2010.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Caesar Saladin posted:

I might be imagining it but it seems like Economos's dyed beard has been growing out over the season and showing the grey.

Warbird posted:

He stopped dying it after he and PM got buddy buddy after the gorilla incident a couple of episodes back.

Yep, I just binged back through the whole series with a buddy and his beard is definitely showing more grey. The actor didn't want to dye it in the first place but was required to for the movies for whatever reason, so I love that they wrote in a whole subplot to let him get rid of the dye-job :)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Rhyno posted:

Yeah sure, wrestlers end up acting but nearly none of them ever hit the level of skill Cena is showing off in this show.

Austin? Goldberg? HHH? Hell even the Rock has given up doing anything but being himself.

Dave Bautista was a wrestler, GotG and Blade Runner we're pretty decent range between the two.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Defiance Industries posted:

Dave Bautista was a wrestler, GotG and Blade Runner we're pretty decent range between the two.

The Blade Runner short was really good with Bautista

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ9Os8cP_gg

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Batista is incredible in Bladerunner 2049 and that short film, absolutely. I really hope he gets more to do in the next Dune film.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Batista and Cena are top tier.

Poor Triple H in Blade 3 lol

Remember tho these guys just need good directors. Those WWE action movies are trash.

Apparently they made more tho lol

Jerusalem posted:

Batista is incredible in Bladerunner 2049 and that short film, absolutely. I really hope he gets more to do in the next Dune film.

That kids spy movie he did was legit good - the actress who played the girl was great in it as well.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Stone Cold was an effective number 2 to The Rock at the time and did better than Cena in acting in his lovely WWE movie; I find it odd he was not able to break into acting, really. His poo poo with Booker T chasing him in bingo halls and convenience stores was one of the funniest things ever and he had good timing and charisma.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

According to Austin himself (and this may be more him just putting the best front forward to excuse not making it) the problem was that he really didn't enjoy working on films outside of much smaller roles where he could just come in and film a couple scenes and then gently caress off, and he didn't do well with the pressure of being the leading man.

That said, he seemed to find a nice enough niche for awhile producing/presenting quasi-reality sports/obstacle shows which I'd have figured had an even bigger time/work commitment. :shrug:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I can see him not being a good fit for major movies. He's always saying how his whole career was based on just getting two or three bullet points from writers and then him filling in everything between on the fly, so movies, where you memorize a script and do the same lines repeatedly until the director is satisfied would probably be pretty bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Austin is a cool guy, he seems to be on the correct side of things. I'm sure his redneck fan base hates that.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Don't know if it's an easter egg, but the "Riverdale" shoutout might be a reference to the fact that Peacemaker filmed in the same ridiculously tiny "main street" looking location (seriously, it's like 3 blocks) in Greater Vancouver that Riverdale films, and I think the video store is actually a location used on Riverdale or one of its many spinoffs

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I know his gimmick was annoying but was/is Cena a good wrestler

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Austin is a cool guy, he seems to be on the correct side of things. I'm sure his redneck fan base hates that.

I thought that because of his politics, but I just wikied him and he's a multiple offender domestic abuser :(

zoux posted:

He was okay. Kurt Angle, Benoit (yeesh), and other concurrent or just around him people were quite a bit better, but he was also better than people like Undertaker and Kane at the same time. He was just under, say, The Rock, without his ability and willingness to ridiculously sell his opponent over the top like Dwayne.

Darko fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 11, 2022

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
All those WWE films are made to appeal to the kind of people who buy movies made by a wrestling federation. The target market is basically the same as those Steven Segal movies where he plays a sniper so he can sit for most of the movie. I don't think anyones acting should be judged based on those.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

zoux posted:

He was detested for a long time by a vocal proportion of fans for the way he was booked by the insane old man who runs WWE, but the guy is insanely dedicated and consistent and the way he weathered the pressure gradually turned a lot of those fans around to at the very least deeply appreciating how hard he worked, plus the people who loved him as a wrestler ADORED him. The more people realized that Vince McMahon is a crazy old man completely detached from reality, the less they blamed Cena, even if there was still a lot of talk about him being limited as a wrestler - even then, he was in a lot of REALLY good matches where he certainly wasn't being carried by his opponent, and he had a connection with the crowd that you can't fake.

Seeing him blossom like this outside of WWE is both endearing and also incredibly frustrating, because while he was certainly a giant success as a wrestler it's now obvious how much more potential he had that was never realized because of the environment he was in.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
No complaints about the show, but I would really like an in-universe explanation why Auggie, a trailer trash white supremacist, can gently caress with super science.

Seriously, in a 40 year span he went from an impoverished hick making money on child bare knuckle boxing in a trailer park to being able to install a pocket dimension lab in his house and build super suits. Did he make Faustian pact with a Nazi demon? Smoke radioactive meth? Inquiring minds want to know.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Yeah he was def more a victim of bad writing and Vince trying to turn back the clock to Hulk Hogan than any real deficiency on his part. He was entirely capable of holding it down with what wrestling nerds would consider "a good match" but the production priorities were more in line with making him a cartoon superhero and it irked a lot of older fans who were pining for the long gone days of edgy 90's wrasslin

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Marsupial Ape posted:

No complaints about the show, but I would really like an in-universe explanation why Auggie, a trailer trash white supremacist, can gently caress with super science.

Seriously, in a 40 year span he went from an impoverished hick making money on child bare knuckle boxing in a trailer park to being able to install a pocket dimension lab in his house and build super suits. Did he make Faustian pact with a Nazi demon? Smoke radioactive meth? Inquiring minds want to know.

DC is a universe wherein, if you have the know-how, you can kitbash poo poo like that out of a toaster and a CRT TV. His engineering isn't anything to write home about compared to other super scientists (the White Dragon suit is kinda trash compared to its contemporaries and that's not even taking in the flaws that Adrian eyeballed on sight), so it's not like a place like STAR Labs is gonna overlook the racism, or eventual super racism, for long before firing his rear end. He clearly got a decent enough job at some point for long enough to get a nice place in the suburbs.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/sarahmimms/texas-butterfly-sanctuary-trump-conspiracy

loving peacemaker

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Jerusalem posted:

He was detested for a long time by a vocal proportion of fans for the way he was booked by the insane old man who runs WWE, but the guy is insanely dedicated and consistent and the way he weathered the pressure gradually turned a lot of those fans around to at the very least deeply appreciating how hard he worked, plus the people who loved him as a wrestler ADORED him. The more people realized that Vince McMahon is a crazy old man completely detached from reality, the less they blamed Cena, even if there was still a lot of talk about him being limited as a wrestler - even then, he was in a lot of REALLY good matches where he certainly wasn't being carried by his opponent, and he had a connection with the crowd that you can't fake.

Seeing him blossom like this outside of WWE is both endearing and also incredibly frustrating, because while he was certainly a giant success as a wrestler it's now obvious how much more potential he had that was never realized because of the environment he was in.

I think it was right around the CM Punk feuds that people were all "hey, this guy's actually good!"

Meanwhile he also seems like a good person outside of movies and wrestling too. Plus dude just works, like, he just doesn't stop.

Also all I care about is that Eagly survives. Everyone else can eat it.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Eagly is cool and good and real and is my friend.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Warbird posted:

You wish.

Your rear end is getting pecked!!

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Warbird posted:

eagly has to be real if they have a stunt double

https://twitter.com/steveagee/status/1491102816970350592

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Peacemaker's tearful elaboration on who he could have got to look after Eagly while he was in prison was amazing :allears:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

Someone in Youtube comments made a horrifying realization with this: when the Butterflies are drinking their nectar, they must be lowering the tube through the hole in the skull out the mouth to their "seat."

Nah, they just draw nutrients from the body directly. If the nectar went directly to the butterflies then 1) they'd only need like a teaspoon and 2) the human body would starve around them.

Jose Oquendo posted:

No joke. He's 30 years old. I'm 40. I've known him nearly all my life. I'm going to be completely devastated when he does pass away.

Bold of you to assume you're going to outlive him :birdthunk:

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I loved how Eagly pecking the poo poo out of Economos didn't lead to any bigger payoff.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So I'm pretty sure that they're gonna take something from the comics like someone predicted in that Auggie is gonna haunt Peacemaker.

Also Vigilante is the real MVP of the team. They would not succeed without him.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Vintersorg posted:

You wish.

Your rear end is getting pecked!!

That's just how Eagly shows he likes you.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Marsupial Ape posted:

Yeah this was something I was wondering too honestly. The technology he has access to seems something way beyond a racist hick would have and he knew how to make the helmets for Chris. Even if in the scope of the DC universe he's not really that threatening it's still a lot of crazy weaponry and shenanigans that guy would have any right to own, let alone figure out how to use.

Bunch of random thoughts:

I think Gunn couldn't resist doing the Gunn thing he does where he undercuts a serious moment with jokes, though. I think Peacemaker finally killing his rear end was great and him being completely emotionally hosed up about it really didn't need wacky back and forth banter in the background because on some level I think he actually cared about his dad on some level, even if he was a hosed up monster. Kinda glad they didn't go with the butthole gag either, we knew that the weak points in the armor bit was gonna come back but it feels like it'd be a bit over the top hammering a point viewers already had going in.

I wonder if there's gonna be some reference with the Fitzgibbon host reacting to Song killing Murn. He seemed pretty upset about it.

Also man Judomaster kind of owns, tiny little smartass that refuses to die and keeps kiai-ing

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
So Eagley is obviously a butterfly right? Mfer eats chips just like Judo Master, survived living in a garage for four years, and can loving hug

Edit: okay I just realized how loving stupid this is because he’d have needed the alien honey to survive and Judo Master isn’t necessarily a butterfly

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 11, 2022

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Make sure y'all ain't skipping the after credits scene on that one.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I wonder if that racoon is the same one they used for Rocket.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Codependent Poster posted:

So I'm pretty sure that they're gonna take something from the comics like someone predicted in that Auggie is gonna haunt Peacemaker.

Also Vigilante is the real MVP of the team. They would not succeed without him.

It would not surprise me if he programmed the helmets to play some recorded voice lines when the helmets are exposed to certain conditions. Not even as a final insult, just a thing he did to gently caress with him

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Fartington Butts posted:

I feel like there's just hours of Locke's actor either in character or not just ad libbing weird poo poo to say that they had to sift out what to keep and what to leave

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
One of the deputies was corpsing all over the place during that post-credits scene and I can't blame him one drat bit.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

nooneofconsequence posted:

I loved how Eagly pecking the poo poo out of Economos didn't lead to any bigger payoff.

"AH! My rear end in a top hat!" is so much funnier than just, "Ah! My rear end!" Eagly gettin' PRECISE.

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
Raccoons are hardcore

itry
Aug 23, 2019

VagueRant posted:

D-did Adebayo taser him to death? I'm still kinda thrown by him surviving getting shot in the heart, and after that he totally disappeared from this episode. Really seemed like they were building to him joining the team by his 'they're not what you think' and kicking the crap out of guys you were happy to see get the crap kicked out of them.

Judomaster is the toughest bastard on the show. No way is he dead.

Fartington Butts posted:

Servaetes posted:

I feel like there's just hours of Locke's actor either in character or not just ad libbing weird poo poo to say that they had to sift out what to keep and what to leave

That guy is amazing and I'd like to watch everything they shot with him. This episode's post credits scene and the one from the sixth episode are incredibly good.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

itry posted:

Judomaster is the toughest bastard on the show. No way is he dead.

That guy is amazing and I'd like to watch everything they shot with him. This episode's post credits scene and the one from the sixth episode are incredibly good.

You're in luck, there is a *lot* of stuff out there with him in it.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0382216/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Thinking back, I really expected the hospital janitor to have a bigger part. He casually dropped that he went to MIT, so I figured theyd reach out to him for tech poo poo this season.