Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PIZZA.BAT)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

how is it faster than C?

in much the same way it is easier than python

(though it is true that it gets within striking distance on both those metrics)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Sagebrush posted:

how is it faster than C?

If your programming language doesn't let programmers do arbitrary things with memory that gives an optimizer a lot of room to improve on the raw compiler output.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

god bless boyce

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ultrafilter posted:

If your programming language doesn't let programmers do arbitrary things with memory that gives an optimizer a lot of room to improve on the raw compiler output.

Sure, but what's the fun in that

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

🤔 tried to wipe my rear end but I accidentally faxed a really disgusting Rorschach test to my whole contact list

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

thats just another day at the posting factory

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

i feel like this is a typo because neither one of those are true but it is faster than python and easier than c, right?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

but then it wouldn't be different from java, or a zillion other programming languages.

the 150,000 different languages that currently exist aren't good enough! none of them suits my needs exactly! we must develop our own, and make everyone else start using it!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

lmao if you don’t do all of your programming on a keyboard that just has two giant 0 and 1 keys on it anything else is inefficient

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Julia's reason to exist is that the whole language is based around having the easiest possible way path to effectively using SIMD on current processors

it's a hell of a lot faster to write than C/C++ and yeah, if your problem uses SIMD it's fast

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
I've always been a Maxis fan but SIMD seems a little grown up for my tastes

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

java is a good language because it reminds me of coffee. JavaScript is a bad language because it reminds me of JavaScript

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/Rainmaker1973/status/1492231448690143234

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

oddly mesmerizing

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

drat you belloq! :argh:

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

canyoneer posted:

i saw a video a couple weeks ago of a toad pushing out an almost impossibly large turd. it was like a kiwi laying an egg, but it was poop.

maybe the toad venom is a colon cleanse

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i feel like if their kids could still easily be alive that's still grave robbing

interesting question to think on but 50 years is way waay to recent

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
tbh i think even now if you rolled up to the pyramids and found some new trinket buried within then the government of Egypt might take objection to you saying "finders keepers"

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

tbh i think even now if you rolled up to the pyramids and found some new trinket buried within then the government of Egypt might take objection to you saying "finders keepers"

seems to me that at this point it would be the british museum that would take objection to it

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i feel like if their kids could still easily be alive that's still grave robbing

interesting question to think on but 50 years is way waay to recent

at the time that the native american grave protection and repatriation act (nagpra) was passed, there were living indigenous people who had the remains of their grandparents displayed in museums.

here's an extremely weird amateur archaeologist story.
https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2021/10/how-the-fbi-discovered-a-real-life-indiana-jones-in-indiana

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

seems to me that at this point it would be the british museum that would take objection to it

Pretty sure they'd just take the trinket.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
honestly, i was expecting the goatman

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it came from this long imgur album that has a whole pile of horny ones at the end.

https://imgur.com/gallery/V13qb7A

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Is that one of the horny ones?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

Is that one of the horny ones?

kinda

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

I thought this said sand nudes for a few seconds and i'm all "if you really want to, but sand gets in uncomfortable places"

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

The Angelyne of programming languages

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i have never gotten these things to work. :smith:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Midjack posted:

Same. My brain just doesn't process them at all.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Midjack posted:

it probably helps if they like you

this joke literally only works if you know what that image says, so if you don't, i'm sorry

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’ve never understood why most of them require the opposite of crossing your eyes because crossing your eyes is easy and it’s very easy to make them work inverted but is always a stupid loving challenge to get them working the other way

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Large Testicles posted:

I thought this said sand nudes for a few seconds and i'm all "if you really want to, but sand gets in uncomfortable places"

are you saying that you don't like sand

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Same. My brain just doesn't process them at all.
At this point I refuse to see them out of spite

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

At this point I refuse to see them out of spite

When they first became a thing I tried a bunch of times but once I realized it just wasn't happening at all for me I just don't bother since it's a waste of time for me.

They are like brussels sprouts - people keep saying that they are good and I just haven't tried them made X way which is the best way but nope those things are like having satan fart in your mouth so I ain't trying them as they will always be bad to me.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

When they first became a thing I tried a bunch of times but once I realized it just wasn't happening at all for me I just don't bother since it's a waste of time for me.

They are like brussels sprouts - people keep saying that they are good and I just haven't tried them made X way which is the best way but nope those things are like having satan fart in your mouth so I ain't trying them as they will always be bad to me.
:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

haveblue posted:

are you saying that you don't like sand

sand is the enemy of the people. it should not be made to think