Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
it's worrying how many people believe "a virus mutates to be less severe over time" which is absolutely not true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

it's worrying how many people believe "a virus mutates to be less severe over time" which is absolutely not true

Every successive wave has killed more Americans.

Most spread occurs before you become symptomatic, or among completely asymptomatic people.

There are zero evolutionary pressures to make this virus less lethal whatsoever and people are still running on hopium on year three. Toxic optimism.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
woke up this morning and had a brief moment of thinking it was saturday before i remembered: oh yeah, i took friday off! this owns!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Every successive wave has killed more Americans.

Most spread occurs before you become symptomatic, or among completely asymptomatic people.

There are zero evolutionary pressures to make this virus less lethal whatsoever and people are still running on hopium on year three. Toxic optimism.

i don't think it's optimism; i think it's because most people who get it experience it like a bad flu. whereas people who have comorbidities drop dead, and they don't care about those people

inconvenience is worse than killing the weak

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

woke up this morning and had a brief moment of thinking it was saturday before i remembered: oh yeah, i took friday off! this owns!

love that feeling, especially if it happens again the next morning by thinking it's sunday when it's saturday

mystes
May 31, 2006

it sort of seems like humans may not be very smart

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

prefect posted:

i don't think it's optimism; i think it's because most people who get it experience it like a bad flu. whereas people who have comorbidities drop dead, and they don't care about those people

yeah. we're at the point where folks might know a couple hundred people who got covid and were fine after a bit, and might know one or two who died directly, and a few more instances of "so-and-so's sick grandpa died". those are really bad numbers, but humans kinda suck at evaluating that kind of risk and end up seeing that and thinking 'yup, no big deal.' and by the numbers, chances are they'll be right and nothing bad'll happen to them ("after all im not like so-and-so's sick grandpa"). until they are old, or are sick, etc.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Did we figure Long COVID would be this generation's leaded gasoline yet?

Apr 7, 2003

prefect posted:

inconvenience is worse than killing the weak

"I don't think it'll happen to me because I'm the main character in this thing called life" is absolutely a form of toxic optimism.

The CDC's list of comorbidities includes things like "being over 180 lbs". Most of America has at least three comorbidities from that list.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

yeah. we're at the point where folks might know a couple hundred people who got covid and were fine after a bit, and might know one or two who died directly, and a few more instances of "so-and-so's sick grandpa died". those are really bad numbers, but humans kinda suck at evaluating that kind of risk and end up seeing that and thinking 'yup, no big deal.' and by the numbers, chances are they'll be right and nothing bad'll happen to them ("after all im not like so-and-so's sick grandpa"). until they are old, or are sick, etc.

this is how climate change is shaping up too. i forget where i saw this, but someone described climate change as "watching an ever increasing number of extreme weather events via cell phone video and eventually the person taking the video is you"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

CPColin posted:

Did we figure Long COVID would be this generation's leaded gasoline yet?

this generation's leaded gasoline is social media.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

and vape contaminants

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

nah it's gonna be lack of socialization

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

yeah and this

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

This omicron wave is on track to kill fewer oregonians than the delta wave or the alpha + gamma wave a year ago

fewer hospitalizations than the delta wave as well, capacity's starting to come back which is the main thing I worried about

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

anyway cjs: it's fuckin' friday and I'm working on a new feature instead of running around plugging holes and putting out fires, feels good

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i fully believe that even if i live to see 80 it will still not be safe to go to any public space. covid will never end until the last human is dead, and right now is the least deadly it will ever be.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

carry on then posted:

i fully believe that even if i live to see 80 it will still not be safe to go to any public space.

cool. hope that attitude works out for you.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

It's nice to see the word "covid" and skip pages until you don't.

Apr 7, 2003

Being rich kicks rear end, you don't have to worry about things that are killing normal working people.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
openshift could not find its own rear end with both hands, 55 gallons of astroglide, and a road cone.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

fresh_cheese posted:

openshift could not find its own rear end with both hands, 55 gallons of astroglide, and a road cone.

more like openshit!!!

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

[cone bro voice] ugh, tell me about it

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

fresh_cheese posted:

it's the best kubernetes, stop using it wrong

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i just ordered some flowers for valentines day

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

i just ordered some flowers for valentines day

i did that on monday because i was paranoid about them running out

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i did that on monday because i was paranoid about them running out

yeah, i should have. i was so focused and then pleased with myself re: other gifts that i forgot about flowers

shell be stoked about the book and birkenstocks and candy (gummi lobsters and hearts from wilburs in maine) though

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

yeah, i should have. i was so focused and then pleased with myself re: other gifts that i forgot about flowers

shell be stoked about the book and birkenstocks and candy (gummi lobsters and hearts from wilburs in maine) though

that sounds nice :buddy:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
loving Friday!!!

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I'm wrangling 2 households full of kids while my wife and her friend have a chill evening getting tapas and sangria.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

carry on then posted:

i fully believe that even if i live to see 80 it will still not be safe to go to any public space. covid will never end until the last human is dead, and right now is the least deadly it will ever be.

i still dont know if this is an elaborate posting gimmick or not

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Chipped beef last night didn't really live up to nostalgia but at least I got it out of my system. :)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
we don't really do any presents for specific days but i'll probably try and make a fancy dessert for the day

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Video Nasty posted:

Chipped beef last night didn't really live up to nostalgia but at least I got it out of my system. :)

I found the problem: you're supposed to put food into your system. hth

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Video Nasty posted:

its gonna be a while before it's _really_ out of your system

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Met a chick at the bar last week and kinda glad nothing's come of it, hooking up right before valentine's day is a classic recipe for awkwardness

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

she's married op

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
there’s a faux scientific logic to the mutation thing mutations will take over if they spread more then older variants. and if it kills people then they’re dead and can’t spread it, right?? (no)

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

carry on then posted:

it's the best kubernetes, stop using it wrong

the kube part isnt even the problem.

its the pile of crap that is their coreos / networkmanager / openvswitch network setup that cannot reliably get an ip on an interface after reboots. its entirely composed of jank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

my cats will eat all the flowers so just a card and some chocolates i guess

we don't really care for this and dont need insta clout