Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sextro posted:

As enjoyable as it is to see a judge actually be an rear end in a top hat to a corporate defender for once. It is worth pointing out that Zuck has likely already pivoted financially and corporate-governance-ly to Meta and is happy to let the justice department take a flamethrower to FB as a smokescreen.

Facebook is permanently wounded and has already withdrawn some of its more revolting plans because Facebook hate is bipartisan in Congress and they won't let them slide through the regulatory process as they would have in 2015.

No one is really fooled by Meta, that's just Facebook saying "OK we'll be a VR company now," just coincidental to the moment that the Facebook user base is now shrinking. They are forced to pivot because the flamethrowers were lit up a long time ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Still funny that Democrats don't like that Facebook is openly enabling fascism and Republicans don't like that it's not doing it openly enough.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sextro posted:

As enjoyable as it is to see a judge actually be an rear end in a top hat to a corporate defender for once. It is worth pointing out that Zuck has likely already pivoted financially and corporate-governance-ly to Meta and is happy to let the justice department take a flamethrower to FB as a smokescreen.

Facebook remains deeply financially connected to Meta, its not a spin off company and is not isolated, and the court rulings are not against Facebook, they are directly against the C-suite of Facebook by name. This is not something they can avoid.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

also lol at the idea that zuckerberg, a person so sociopathically focused on growing his company that he's willing to ignore all harm he causes up to and including genocide, would be willing to let facebook be destroyed as a "smokescreen"

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Meta, much like "Alphabet", is a holding company designed to just restructure the order of holdings under one umbrella. Instead of Facebook owning Instagram and Whatsapp, now Meta just owns all of them. That does help some with being able to divorce finances from things, but really it is a semantic decision. Facebook getting nixed and shuttered would kill Meta as it's the only really profitable avenue for the company right now.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

ive seen speculation that they might try to monetize their whatsapp and instagram users but that's also a dead end since it would immediately trigger a flood to existing competitors or open the space for new rivals. the only users who are locked into those services are in areas too poor to raise much revenue

their only avenue to keep growing is acquisitions but those are highly unlikely to be approved anymore

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Exactly. And again: If this was just against Facebook, maybe Meta could avoid it. They can't because the Judge is calling Zuck and others by name as needing to respond to this, not just Facebook itself.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Stexils posted:

ive seen speculation that they might try to monetize their whatsapp and instagram users but that's also a dead end since it would immediately trigger a flood to existing competitors or open the space for new rivals. the only users who are locked into those services are in areas too poor to raise much revenue

their only avenue to keep growing is acquisitions but those are highly unlikely to be approved anymore

I need to see some evidence that either of these aren't already monetized.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

CommieGIR posted:

Exactly. And again: If this was just against Facebook, maybe Meta could avoid it. They can't because the Judge is calling Zuck and others by name as needing to respond to this, not just Facebook itself.

It's like Musk with the Tesla poo poo. He's been unable or unwilling to divorce himself from being integral to the running on the business, and now he can't magically put up a "I just CEO, I JUST TOUCH THE SALES NUMBERS, I KNOW NOTHING" shield because no one believes him.

Much like Musk being all "I tour the plants DAILY, I see everything that happens and control it PERSONALLY!"....."Oh poo poo people were legit segregating the factory and treating black workers like slaves!?!? I'm not aware, not my thing, I'm never there".

One or the other assholes.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

so I a angry internet person can always blame Zuck for being a gently caress, but does a judge or other law person have to be careful about specifically naming a person? if they do sounds like the judge either has a reasonable errr reason to call out Zuck or is stupid (ie Donnie's stop da steal krakken people, other dumb regressive poo poo.)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

PhazonLink posted:

so I a angry internet person can always blame Zuck for being a gently caress, but does a judge or other law person have to be careful about specifically naming a person? if they do sounds like the judge either has a reasonable errr reason to call out Zuck or is stupid (ie Donnie's stop da steal krakken people, other dumb regressive poo poo.)

Its largely because Zuck personally intervened to find out what happened with Cambridge Analytica, so he touched the poop, and now the Judge wants to know what he found and Zuck is trying to dodge releasing the findings in court. So the poop must've really stunk.

C suites at most companies try to isolate themselves as much as possible from possible implications associated with handling this stuff. You let someone else, a VP or Legal handle it. For good reason, in that if you personally intervene, you are now on the hook if ever called to court.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Remember Movie Pass? It's BACK!

https://twitter.com/theo_wayt/status/1491874861853126657

https://twitter.com/AlexBlechman/status/1457842724128833538

Watching ads to see movies is sure a novel approach considering you can already do that on a thing called a "TV" as well on regular YouTube. I guess the difference here is you watch them first and get to go to the theater for first runs. I like too how they want to use retina scans to ensure you actually watch the ads, Clockwork Orange style, instead of just playing them on mute while you do the dishes or some poo poo.

How far out do you think we are from having to watch a commerical on your center console before you can start your car?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Watching ads to see movies? So, like, comming attractions?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

BiggerBoat posted:

Remember Movie Pass? It's BACK!

https://twitter.com/theo_wayt/status/1491874861853126657

https://twitter.com/AlexBlechman/status/1457842724128833538

Watching ads to see movies is sure a novel approach considering you can already do that on a thing called a "TV" as well on regular YouTube. I guess the difference here is you watch them first and get to go to the theater for first runs. I like too how they want to use retina scans to ensure you actually watch the ads, Clockwork Orange style, instead of just playing them on mute while you do the dishes or some poo poo.

How far out do you think we are from having to watch a commerical on your center console before you can start your car?

So does this mean I can market an attachment for my phone camera to spoof the eye tracker?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

There Bias Two posted:

So does this mean I can market an attachment for my phone camera to spoof the eye tracker?

That's not a bad idea actually. It'd be hilarious if you could record and loop 20 seconds of video of your eyes and then mine Movie Pass points like Bitcoin.

Also it says you can watch ads to earn points that can "go towards" seeing free movies. Wonder how long you have to actually stay strapped in to the Alex Delarge chair in order to see Far From Home? Or you maybe you redeem points and if you don't have enough they kick you out of the theater after 35 minutes.

God how loving stupid.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 11, 2022

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

BiggerBoat posted:

That's not a bad idea actually. It'd be hilarious if you could record and loop 20 seconds of video of your eyes and then mine Movie Pass points like Bitcoin.

Also it says you can watch ads to earn points that can "go towards" seeing free movies. Wonder how long you have to actually stay strapped in to the Alex Delarge chair in order to see Far From Home? Or you maybe you redeem points and if you don't have enough they kick you out of the theater after 35 minutes.

God how loving stupid.

2 hours of ad watching for 2 hours of movie

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/drewwww/status/1491469741709348865?s=20&t=UugeFhCXX7sSel5xpG880Q

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Lol second life. I can't believe people still do that poo poo.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Lol second life. I can't believe people still do that poo poo.

Bring back Habitat (LucasArts)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/catabunel/status/1492062940526256128?s=20&t=3d8ky2M-7c60lX81O6qF6g

*screams into the void*

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I doubt they'll unseat Skyrim VR

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

BiggerBoat posted:

Just get one of those old clocks with the cat eyes that look back and forth and mount the tablet/phone facing it :haw:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Wow they re invented meet and cuck Kingdom

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

CommieGIR posted:

Facebook remains deeply financially connected to Meta, its not a spin off company and is not isolated, and the court rulings are not against Facebook, they are directly against the C-suite of Facebook by name. This is not something they can avoid.

I'm confused, does this involve an actually realistic possibility of jail time and or the seizure of billions of dollars in personal assets? Because if it's not I think they can very much avoid it. Worst case they show up and say "I don't recall" to any deposition, then pay the $1000/day fine or whatever.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

BiggerBoat posted:

I like too how they want to use retina scans to ensure you actually watch the ads, Clockwork Orange style, instead of just playing them on mute while you do the dishes or some poo poo.

I'd just buy some googly eyes and train them on the camera

Natural selection for fuccbois

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Feb 12, 2022

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Volmarias posted:

I'm confused, does this involve an actually realistic possibility of jail time and or the seizure of billions of dollars in personal assets? Because if it's not I think they can very much avoid it. Worst case they show up and say "I don't recall" to any deposition, then pay the $1000/day fine or whatever.

I think the possibility of Zuck going into a jail is real. This is basically an indication that the judge is PISSED at what Zuck and Co. have been doing in this case.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Yeah right, if Zuck goes to prison I'll eat the eggs

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

AtomikKrab posted:

I think the possibility of Zuck going into a jail is real. This is basically an indication that the judge is PISSED at what Zuck and Co. have been doing in this case.

I genuinely want to believe that wealthy and powerful people can face consequences in this country, but I simply cannot anymore. I'm sure the judge is extremely pissed, and if this had been a mere millionaire he would be getting nailed to the wall, but he isn't, so he won't be.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Volmarias posted:

I genuinely want to believe that wealthy and powerful people can face consequences in this country, but I simply cannot anymore. I'm sure the judge is extremely pissed, and if this had been a mere millionaire he would be getting nailed to the wall, but he isn't, so he won't be.

This is the first thing that I thought. If there is some evidence that Zuckerberg personally stole/scammed/mistreated the money of other rich people, he might see some consequences. But he is higher on the pecking order than most of those other rich people, so it would have to be a lot of them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

AtomikKrab posted:

I don't think he'll go to jail, but I suspect the Judge is going to get very handsy with discovery demands.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
It feels like there will very suddenly be a gigantic settlement on the case tbh. The judge basically declaring that he's going to rubber stamp any discovery or depositions probably makes them super nervous.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

lol at Mark Zuckerberg going to jail for literally anything besides loving with other billionaires' money.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

I don't think he'll go to jail, but I suspect the Judge is going to get very handsy with discovery demands.

He won't. Not a huge percentage of rich people in jail, no.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Outside of Bernie Madoff who literally turned himself in and confessed, how many billionaires are actually convicted of anything and given jail time?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mister Facetious posted:

Outside of Bernie Madoff who literally turned himself in and confessed, how many billionaires are actually convicted of anything and given jail time?

Even then it took 30 years for him running an obvious Ponzi scheme to do so.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Even when Epstein was convicted his jail sentence was basically checking in at the jail every once in a while and going about his day as usual.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Even then it took 30 years for him running an obvious Ponzi scheme to do so.

I think it was closer to twenty in Markopolos' book (nine where he was aware of the scheme iirc), but yeah. The SEC had someone willing to do their job for them, handed them a pdf of every red flag, and they still weren't able to figure anything out.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

the fate of facebook/meta will be long, unsatisfying, drawn out, and inconclusive. zuckerberg will never face any real consequences. other countries will steadily pass digital rights/data legislation which will disproportionately hurt meta because they're by far the most unethical actors among big tech. meta will respond with increasingly elaborate reinventions/flashy projects/stealing features to desperately stave off the inevitable decline and exodus every social media site eventually faces. the company's obvious decline will see a steady erosion of talent and difficulty hiring, the number of users will shrink, the monetization will get more desperate and scummy leading to eventually zuckerberg selling off to start "the next big thing" which will be some weird flop after attracting 100 billion dollars of investment. zuckerberg will continue to be a rich moron who everyone nonetheless has to continue hearing updates about for the rest of their lives, facebook will become irrelevant except for occasional exploratory journalism charting the odd cult of hardcore users living in its ruins and the financial predators who live off them, and the only decisive conclusion will be a handful of flashy court cases that result in fines and undisclosed settlements.

in other words the future is everything happening now but even more exaggerated, dumb, and obnoxious, because that's the story of everything in america

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Related: Apparently Firefox, of all people, has partnered with Meta:

https://www.xda-developers.com/mozilla-meta-interoperable-private-attribution/

quote:

Mozilla revealed in a blog post on Tuesday, “For the last few months we have been working with a team from Meta (formerly Facebook) on a new proposal that aims to enable conversion measurement – or attribution – for advertising called Interoperable Private Attribution, or IPA.” The project aims to allow advertisers to measure the success rate of online ads, while being more privacy-respecting than existing online ads.

The core concept, as explained in the proposal draft, is to replace per-action ad reporting (e.g. the browser sending data to an advertising group when you click on an ad) with aggregated reports for batches of events. Websites can create a “match key” connected to your account or device, which is apparently only accessible by the browser to avoid fingerprinting. There are also a few functions in place intended to make it difficult for anyone (including the companies or advertisers collecting data) to identify people interacting with ads. It’s similar to Prio, the technology Mozilla developed a few years ago to analyze how people use Firefox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

New: Firefox Tokens!