Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Sockser posted:

I didn't expect Kid Cosmic season 3 this soon, feels like the last one was only a few months ago

But it's Covid times so time is a fake concept, I guess

Animation on Netflix has a weird schedule.
All three seasons of Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts came out in 2020.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

cant cook creole bream posted:

Animation on Netflix has a weird schedule.
All three seasons of Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts came out in 2020.

Yeah but 2020 was at least three times as long as a regular year.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The setting of the show is implicitly a city-state that's surprisingly prone to alien invasion/supervillains/kaiju attacks.

I hope they get to do the planned episode where the city of cat people gets invaded by evil humans.

Not just a city state either, but one in the middle of a wasteland or desert iirc.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Its a bit funny how one quickly realizes there's a lot of parallels between SWAT KATS and Big O, just that one of them gets a lot more metaphorical in nature

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

Its a bit funny how one quickly realizes there's a lot of parallels between SWAT KATS and Big O, just that one of them gets a lot more metaphorical in nature

I want to see a Swat Kat freak out because he's a tomato now.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

TwoPair posted:

I want to see a Swat Kat freak out because he's a tomato now.

In that case it would probably be him literally being turned into a Tomato

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

A giant robot is probably better suited for fighting crime than a fighter jet (especially when most of the crime is using other giant robots).

I don't really remember much of Swat Kats, but I'm pretty sure it didn't go into weird postapocalyptic existentialism.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

The United States posted:

Yeah sure why not, next up they can bring back Road Rovers or some poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdyJoJz4iI0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0IQBWWabuU

so conflicted about this. on the one hand, i like the show, think it holds up quite well and even watch it every so often.

but it's one of those cases where the reason it's memorable is because everything came together nearly perfectly: voice cast, music, animation, writing, etc. i don't mean to say SWAT KATS is a perfect show, per se, but what it did, it did well because of the synergy of all the things i mentioned.

i mean, a huge part of why i still like SK to this day is the OST, and 95% of cartoons (and to be fair, live action shows in general) just suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck in this department nowadays.

i mean i'll give it a chance, and some reboots have been great (Scooby Doo related shows, for example) but i'm not optimistic.

drrockso20 posted:

In spite of the name they aren't actually a SWAT team or even part of the police at all, they're vigilantes, the name is presumably just because it sounds cool

Also SWAT KATS is honestly one of the better choices among 90's cartoons to revive, as the original holds up rather well

the NYPD has a budget larger than many countries and they have robotic attack dogs. i don't think the idea of a police department having an air force is that much of a stretch :v:

Xelkelvos posted:

Not just a city state either, but one in the middle of a wasteland or desert iirc.

it bordered one side on an ocean and the other on a desert

drrockso20 posted:

your post made me check out the intro to Big O for the first time in literally more than a decade:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7_Od9CmTu0

one of the weirdest, yet also coolest anime intros

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Given one mummy-themed villain and a desert setting, and the whole cat thing, I have the silly headcanon that Megakat City is a superpower equivalent of Alexandria or something.

I need to watch The Big O, I mostly remember it being compared more to BTAS but with a giant robot.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Big O is one of those rare anime series where the English dub works better than the original Japanese

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

drrockso20 posted:

Big O is one of those rare anime series where the English dub works better than the original Japanese

Big O’s second season was greenlit almost entirely off the positive response it got from western audiences. I’m pretty sure it was the first anime for that to be the case sans maybe Pokémon.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

AlternateNu posted:

Big O’s second season was greenlit almost entirely off the positive response it got from western audiences. I’m pretty sure it was the first anime for that to be the case sans maybe Pokémon.

The sequel to Kinikkuman, Ultimate Muscle, got another season based off the dub, since it failed in Japan.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

AlternateNu posted:

If I remember right Pokemon's popularity was so high that 4Kids actually commissioned some new scenes of animation exclusively for the North American release of Pokémon 4Ever. The one with the Celebi pokemon, I think.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Thanks to a very vivid dream I sometimes have to remind myself that Batman was not a regular character on Steven Universe, and yet I wonder if I had glimpsed a very interesting alternate universe.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Mr Interweb posted:

your post made me check out the intro to Big O for the first time in literally more than a decade:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7_Od9CmTu0

one of the weirdest, yet also coolest anime intros

It tells you everything you need to know and nothing more.

Also, it was changed for all subsequent releases, presumably because they were afraid of being sued by Queen.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
And then they tried to copy Gerry Anderson's UFO's intro, it's all kinda hilarious.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I didn't really like the plot of Big O back in the day, but god drat did it have one hell of an aesthetic. I'm pretty sure that Toonami didn't show the theme songs for a lot of the shows they aired, but they had other ways to promote their shows. Toonami had a lot of amazing promos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwO9PSe-uG4

I'd even say that some of the promos might misrepresent some shows by looking cooler than they actually were.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

God I miss when Peter Cullen would do voice overs for Toonami.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
My favorite part of Big O was that piano duet from the Ending. It always made me smile.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Remember when Toonami unironically used Linkin Park to promote Gundam Wing?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Linkin Park are/were huge Gundam fans, they got their own gunpla even.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Senerio posted:

My favorite part of Big O was that piano duet from the Ending. It always made me smile.

Am I correct in assuming that Big O is basically “what if Bruce Wayne built a giant robot instead of becoming Batman”?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Larryb posted:

Am I correct in assuming that Big O is basically “what if Bruce Wayne built a giant robot instead of becoming Batman”?

As it happens, no, not remotely.

Big O is around the weirdness level of Grant Morrison's run on Batman

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

No not really. It was one of those that, like SlothfulCobra said earlier in the thread, Toonami kind lied in advertising.

I mean, there's a lot of Batman-esque stuff there, but if you go expecting Batman you will be in for a shock.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Larryb posted:

Bruce Wayne with a giant robot but also a robot maid and in a weird semi-post-apocalyptic world but nobody even really knows what the apocalypse was and there are other giant robots.

Tomatoes?!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Bat-Mite says theres multiple interpretations of batman , all valid. therefore one with a giant robot is valid.

though the plot certainly does go places.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Why remember, when you can re-experience?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzHlEWeXXrg

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TwoPair posted:

No not really. It was one of those that, like SlothfulCobra said earlier in the thread, Toonami kind lied in advertising.

I mean, there's a lot of Batman-esque stuff there, but if you go expecting Batman you will be in for a shock.

Ah, I assume the show still holds up regardless though right?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Larryb posted:

It's extremely good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioebgcivX1o

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

I would say so but it does get absolutely nuts in the end. Like, not quite Evangelion but pretty loving weird.

There has perhaps never been a better time capsule for 2002

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

PhazonLink posted:

Bat-Mite says theres multiple interpretations of batman , all valid. therefore one with a giant robot is valid.

though the plot certainly does go places.

Pretty much every version of Batman gets out a giant robot eventually these days.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

TwoPair posted:

There has perhaps never been a better time capsule for 2002

See you and raise, courtesy of the PYF webcomic thread:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s really something that it only took six panels to loop back to monkeys.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Come And See posted:

See you and raise, courtesy of the PYF webcomic thread:

This is about caffeine in the same way tv/film writers still do scenes about weed despite clearly having no experience with it whatsoever.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Larryb posted:

The second season is a bit of a mess and feels like they had to cram 2 seasons worth of material down into a single one. However even factoring that in it's still pretty good overall and the first season is drat near flawless.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

CG He-Man returns March 3rd, have a trailer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=EhL8M51oZDs

Stratos and Man-E-Faces confirmed (also a gender flipped Mosquitor it seems)!

More info here: https://www.cbr.com/he-man-and-the-masters-of-the-universe-season-2-trailer-release-date/

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 14, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The_Doctor posted:

This is about caffeine in the same way tv/film writers still do scenes about weed despite clearly having no experience with it whatsoever.

The late 90s and early 00s, when teenage shut-ins ruled the internet.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/DisneyStudios/s...ingawful.com%2F

The United States posted:

Hmmm... the trailer confirms the "Dale becoming 3D" part from this early leak

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So less Rescue Rangers and more Roger Rabbit 2 feat. Chip & Dale then, I suppose that could possibly work if done right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

My face did some weird twisches when I looked at that. I am not sure if any of them were smiles, or if I was having a stroke.