Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

As a Lance user, Guard Up was nigh essential for Iceborne, with so many monsters using unblockable attacks too quickly to simply maneuver around. I was very lucky and got it relatively quickly when I started looking for it in old HR50 grinds, but I definitely get the frustration behind those single-point superskills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Is Sunbreak out yet!?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
No but it needs to be, I'm quickly discovering rise has no endgame

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Been practicing the bow and upgrading via rampage quests and I'm at least semi-competent now. It's a pretty fun playstyle that just craps out damage if you do it right. Soloed chameleos, Kush, and Teostra last night with it so I'm in the sixties in HR now. Chameleos was easy but the other two were really hard. A lot of those sort of situations where you get hit by one attack and then get ping ponged around until you cart. I had to lean very heavily on stinkminks and other monsters to beat them, especially Teostra. Mag was on the map and must have done a couple thousand damage to him. Over the course of the fight the two had two Turf Wars includinig one where a souped up purple mag just came in and beat his rear end out of nowwhere. I love monster hunter moments like that.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Look at mr i-dont-care-about-crowns over here

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

So I've failed a capture Daimyo Hermitaur quest twice now through slaying it. Looked it up and Daimyo's bubbles change to purple when capturable. I put 350 hours into GU the first time and didn't know that. Love this game.

Fished Nibelsnarf twice, I know that gimmick this time around.

E: It's neat that the GU variant of 4U's wyvern egg delivery quest is used to introduce a sleeping Astalos instead of Rathian - I'd forgotten that and was expect a Rath. Can't wait to fight the angriest of the 4, though they're all touchy. It's a pity Astalos didn't make the cut for World.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 12, 2022

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010
Second gothrough of Coral and Vale makes me wonder if they ran into some scope or time issues

In both segments you just have to encounter a monster with no need to finish hunting it, get one normal fight and then go straight to legiana/odo afterwards. Feels like they might have had bigger plans for a proper second hub with the research base that got cut or didn't pan out so they sort of rushed you through and then stuck the sidequests for after the story takes you back to astera. Tzitzi/Girros (and dodogama) are also the only monsters that don't get corresponding palico sets.

On the other hand going through the game again and paying attention to incidental npc talk makes the reveal about the vale/highlands ecosystem less goofy. The third fleet's cut off from astera by a sheer cliff until zorah goes through and a researcher in the highlands comments on wingdrake travel being something new.

That and the 5th being reinforcements since the 1st fleet is explicitly down to five hunters, three of which have gone off on their own and don't write back and the 4th hunters are occupied defending astera. No one's gotten over the cliffs to do any investigation or compare notes other than the tracker and she's having too much fun to come back for a report

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Even if the map design isn't particularly captivating from a gameplay perspective, Rotten Vale is such an amazing idea for a biome that I can't help but love it.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The endgame is crowns and fashion, as is good and pure.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

felgs posted:

The endgame is crowns and fashion, as is good and pure.

Finding creative ways of knocking monsters down

https://i.imgur.com/Y300PuN.mp4

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Malfestio needs to come back. Confusion is a better bird gimmick than sleep.

Only noticed today that the hunter actually gags when eating a bitterbug (to cure confusion).

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Finding creative ways of knocking monsters down

https://i.imgur.com/Y300PuN.mp4

So do you run a different dual blade element set for every encounter, or do you have some sort of general set you use most often? I'm looking into putting together a dual blade set now that my bow and HBG sets are in mostly decent shape.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So do you run a different dual blade element set for every encounter, or do you have some sort of general set you use most often? I'm looking into putting together a dual blade set now that my bow and HBG sets are in mostly decent shape.

It's best to have a set for each element/weakness with dual blades. It sounds like a lot of work (and it does take a bit), but it's very much worthwhile in most of the games.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

drat Dirty Ape posted:

One for each element, a couple for status, and a few gimmick rampage ones specifically for a monster. If you don’t want to go all in on DB and want to try a one for all set, poison Dual Chameleos is your best bet. But picking the right element will always be your better option.

The set themselves tend to be fairly close with a few exceptions. The majority of the time all you’re changing are the element decos and wether you need to slot in handicraft/protective polish.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 13, 2022

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Cool, I guess I have some gem farming to do then. I've also been striking out big time with the talismans so far aside from finding a decent one for bowguns so most of my builds are less than ideal anyway.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Nothing amazing here but I was quite happy of my final Bow set because all of the Elemental Attack Up 5 and Rapid/Pierce/Spread 3 are done through decorations. All the core skills are in the armor.

E: This was made possible by me editing in a Wex 2 / Wirebug Whisperer 3 3-1-1 charm, I should add. A Wex 2 is needed at the very least, maybe a Wex 2 3-1=0 even.

The Rapid/Pierce/Spread decos take some grinding, but the flexibility is nice.

Hadn't gotten around to grinding out the best elemental bows for each shot type when I switched to GU. Speaking of, I've gotten used to the Switch swapping confirm/reject buttons again and just navigating menus to take that screenshot was tougher than Malfestio confusion!

E: also worth mentioning I always build for some comfort, not optimal dps. Con 3 or 4 / SS 2 + food skills/dash juice etc is what that would look like. I like having the stamina cushion to be sloppy on my combos. Recovery Speed is chill on a weapon where you don't get hit often but when you do you're usually left with a large red bar which means I don't really want to heal other than if it means I'm dangerously low on green.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Feb 13, 2022

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So I've just gotten around to killing Teostra. I have been using the Atlas hammer (230 damage, zero affinity, mile long green sharpness with dulling strikes in the rampage slot.) basically 24/7 as my only hammer I skipped straight to after using Gunlance clear through the first Narwa fight. Flipping between Howlitzer and Admiral's mostly there when I go back to it gunlance.

The only decorations I've really chased after have been minds eye to make sure I have some levels of that on demand, and cheap element resist gems so I don't get turbo fried by lightning in the Tigrex set (which has 2/3 minds eye anyways :downs: )

At this point, is it even worth looking into Elemental hammers and Gunlances fresh after my first Teostra kill? Or will my "slow idiot gets the job done" kill times not be changed all that much aiming for elemental weaknesses with weapons like the hammer and Gunlance anyways in rematches for parts farming.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

So I just fought Valstrax for the first time and yeah.... that sure was something. I have a feeling this is going to take a while to figure out.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So I just fought Valstrax for the first time and yeah.... that sure was something. I have a feeling this is going to take a while to figure out.

Bird up and bring armor potions.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Since I'm running GU solo I decided to build a few nice support palicos and I have to say rolling the dice on skill/ability swaps at the training center is turning out to be quite fun. It's a part of GU I never engaged with more than superficially in my last run and it turns out to have some nice depth and choice as you'd expect.

Heading to the Palico Center after a mission to check on what skills were rolled and to play the Meownster Hunter mini game is quite fun.

Building 2 heal cats and at least 1 each of gather and charisma. Saw a nice build for some bomber support cats as well, but not doing that unless I also add HBG as a weapon to this run - sure that's going to be really annoying as a melee.

I've already got a couple of cats with a nice mix of support skills and abilities and the difference is visible in a hunt.

The system has some depth and options. Here's the Gaijin Hunter translation of a good summary of how it works:

Here's one of my heal cats which is focused purely on hp healing right now where I want to replace Flash Bombay with Go Fight Win!, so it can spam skills even more frequently. The passives have been rejigged to let it spam healing skills more effectively as well. The other heal cat is focused more on status healing and can even do a little DPS given its better attack passives.

Also like how you unlock these skills by taking a cat with that skill along for a specific mon. Flash Bombay here will unlock for all palicos if I taken a palico with that skill to a Malfestio hunt.

Can't show you how this looks in the actual school interface because that's currently being used for a bunch of gatherer cats who are learning to be better ranged fighters. :3: It's great they can teach each other skills/passives and there are 2-3 slots reserved for this.

I hope Sunbreak brings some of these systems back rather than relying purely on scouting out a cat with the right skills. Or using a mod to edit them directly.

E: You can directly edit skills and passives in G-rank, there's a special item that allows this. I'm just doing this in LR through dice rolls for the fun of it.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 13, 2022

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Section Z posted:

At this point, is it even worth looking into Elemental hammers and Gunlances fresh after my first Teostra kill? Or will my "slow idiot gets the job done" kill times not be changed all that much aiming for elemental weaknesses with weapons like the hammer and Gunlance anyways in rematches for parts farming.

My understanding is that hammers don’t care at all about elemental effects. Every guide I’ve seen says to get a hammer with a big base number and good sharpness like Nargacuga or Tigrex.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

moosecow333 posted:

My understanding is that hammers don’t care at all about elemental effects. Every guide I’ve seen says to get a hammer with a big base number and good sharpness like Nargacuga or Tigrex.
I might give the Nargacuga hammer a shot, helps that it also looks cool and sky high affinity in exchange for generic damage is a fairly straightforward gimmick.

More quick googling shows the hype about the negative affinity "Also looks really cool" Tigrex hammer seems to be that you can get silkbind boost to raise your perfect silkbind attacks DPS... But I am hot trash at not botching the big silkbind unless the monster is flat on their rear end :downs:

So guess I know what monster I will be bonking on the head or stabbing stakes into next.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I just one shot/no carts/solo’d this son of a bitch on my first try and am feeling pretty boss about it. I went in full stacked with buffs (talon/charms, mega pots and powders) and got full HP/Stam from the spiribirds prior to fighting.

I’m a mediocre long sword player but it worked out ok - I had good luck playing patiently and being sure to heal to full almost any time I took damage. He hits very hard and has a few faster attacks but it seems like the big hitters are pretty distinctly telegraphed.

Overall I really enjoyed the fight - it felt like a good difficulty level without feeling like a bullshit HP sponge (allmother I’m looking at you)

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Section Z posted:

I can't speak to gunlance, but hammer likes raw. If you really wanna try out elemental hammer, courage mode increases the values for elemental damage and status damage. It's a fun style with it's own sort of flow and some of my favourite hammer animations.

As mentioned, Nargacuga is favoured a lot with high crit. Tigrex is also ran for impact crater a lot, and the rampage hammer can be built out if you want to transmog and fashion hunt.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Well I got my first Valstrax kill!

Except that I was with other people.....

And I never actually did any damage to it....

And it didn't even die, the game glitched out and counted down a 'victory' before it was even close to defeated.

Anybody else ever see this happen? Pretty anticlimatic, lol.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

drat Dirty Ape posted:

And it didn't even die, the game glitched out and counted down a 'victory' before it was even close to defeated.

Sounds like somebody was using hacked weapons possibly, cause i've never heard of monsters dying from glitching out.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

felgs posted:

I can't speak to gunlance, but hammer likes raw. If you really wanna try out elemental hammer, courage mode increases the values for elemental damage and status damage. It's a fun style with it's own sort of flow and some of my favourite hammer animations.

As mentioned, Nargacuga is favoured a lot with high crit. Tigrex is also ran for impact crater a lot, and the rampage hammer can be built out if you want to transmog and fashion hunt.

A hindsight side effect of rushing straight for the Atlas Hammer and not looking back is that I haven't even made the 8? Different hammers to unlock courage mode yet. So technically that means I have a practical reason to make some element hammers just for giggles as filler.

I might make that Goss Harag hammer just on principle too. I ended up sort of defaulting to the tiny Goss Harag hammers for my buddies, and this would give us a matching weapon :buddy:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

TaurusOxford posted:

Sounds like somebody was using hacked weapons possibly, cause i've never heard of monsters dying from glitching out.

well it didn't actually die... it was still fighting us while the victory countdown was going. I joined a random game so I don't know if somebody was hacking, but Val wasn't even close to dead.

I did have Dango insurance so maybe that caused it to bug out somehow? Nobody fainted right when it ended, though somebody did faint while I was making my way there.

I also ended up with very little Val based loot items (like 2 common items)... but got 3 golden eggs. Just totally bizarre.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

That definitely smells like someone cheated, maybe because they were on their last faint and they were like "ah gently caress it let's just call it complete". That's the only logic I can think of for not doing it immediately and by themselves.

As a note, if you're joining a quest someone else started Insurance isn't going to do anything, I don't think.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Are you sure you joined a quest to hunt Valstrax and not an unrelated one that happened to have a Valstrax in the area?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Alxprit posted:

That definitely smells like someone cheated, maybe because they were on their last faint and they were like "ah gently caress it let's just call it complete". That's the only logic I can think of for not doing it immediately and by themselves.

As a note, if you're joining a quest someone else started Insurance isn't going to do anything, I don't think.

Somebody fainted on the way to there and it said something about the insurance, though I suppose that could have been a different player.

Triarii posted:

Are you sure you joined a quest to hunt Valstrax and not an unrelated one that happened to have a Valstrax in the area?

Yep I'm sure. For what its worth the other players seemed very confused as well.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm not sure I like Dash Breaker over Spinning Bludgeon for hammer. Are there situations where Dash Breaker is more useful?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I had something like that happen with a Jhen Moran once, a million years ago.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Section Z posted:

A hindsight side effect of rushing straight for the Atlas Hammer and not looking back is that I haven't even made the 8? Different hammers to unlock courage mode yet. So technically that means I have a practical reason to make some element hammers just for giggles as filler.

I might make that Goss Harag hammer just on principle too. I ended up sort of defaulting to the tiny Goss Harag hammers for my buddies, and this would give us a matching weapon :buddy:

Make the teddy bear line for sure. They're my favourite and inflict sleep, so you can wake them up with an impact crater. They don't get up to end game damage, but I made a set with one for early HR/late LR just to help people out with quests because I love them so much.

ETA

Dabir posted:

I'm not sure I like Dash Breaker over Spinning Bludgeon for hammer. Are there situations where Dash Breaker is more useful?

Dash breaker has hyper armor and can dash through attacks. I've seen people much more skilled than I use it for on the spot positioning adjustments to clown on monsters, like charging directly through Rajang attacks to hammer him in the face when he's still doing his post attack monkey jumping. Spinning Bludgeon is great for flying monsters and rakna, but there's good reasons to try dash breaker since it lets you just be so aggressive and keep the heat on the whole time.

felgs fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 14, 2022

PsyClops
Jun 15, 2000

Dabir posted:

Dash Breaker also allows you to retain your charge, if you're holding one.
Fire off the silk bind, and hold ZR back down during the launch animation, and you'll have your lv3 or whatever hammer charge back.
Especially useful for those playing Courage hammer, but I'm pretty sure it works the same way for Strength mode.

Being able to super armor charge through a roar and then unleash a fully charged Courage lv3 head strike is very nice.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

felgs posted:

The endgame is crowns

lmao caring about these.

felgs posted:

and fashion

However...

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010
After disintegrating the rest of low rank in sub-five hunts it's a pleasant surprise to find kirin is still 100% capable of kicking your rear end if you get overconfident

I really hope he comes back for sunbreak

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I would be quite happy never seeing kirin again. It probably will show up though because kirin armor is as much the face of MH as rathalos armor.

Really hoping namielle makes it back, though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Can’t wait for G-Rank Apex Kirin Emergency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

chumbler posted:

I would be quite happy never seeing kirin again. It probably will show up though because kirin armor is as much the face of MH as rathalos armor.

Really hoping namielle makes it back, though.

Namielle getting some more polish would be fantastic and it's one of the best looking sets for hunting horning

But then so is the kirin jacket