Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

It'd be really nice if the people who own/are in charge of breweries had a basic understanding of the importance of making a production schedule and sticking to it.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Write it on the wall in spraypaint

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

goatface posted:

Write it on the wall in spraypaint

I could nail it to their faces and it wouldn't stick because "But we need this now. Just this once!" every time.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Escape From Noise posted:

It'd be really nice if the people who own/are in charge of breweries had a basic understanding of the importance of making a production schedule and sticking to it.

There were days in the drug factory where I'd come to work and be in a cleanroom for 12 solid hours with no breaks and 15 minutes to go wash up, force all bodily waste out then get the gently caress back in because HIRING FREEZE 6 PEOPLE IS 120% SHIFT CAPACITY EVEN THOUGH YOUR FILLING TEAM WAS 15 WHEN YOU STARTED; and then there were days where I'd clock in to work and go sit at a restaurant with a couple other people for 2-4 hours then go play pokemon go or something with them for 4 more hours while we either waited for midnight to sanitize hallways, or for a txt message to tell us to be in a cleanroom in 20 minutes. Our production schedule wasn't scheduled because there's no accounting for, "raw drug failing bioburden," or, "tank heater stopped working and nobody can fix it on nights," etc. Like, there was a solid schedule written every day, it was just complete horseshit and it never followed through once in 4 years. Edit: about 30% of the time I'd come in to the day shift sitting in the breakroom because there was a problem with something at 9AM, a problem that on my shift they'd say CONTINUE on, and those were the no-break nights from the second I walked in the plant.

Going to a plant with a solid 8-hour production schedule per shift was very, very jarring initially. A lot of people I know from the drug plant went to breweries because it's 90% the same work outside the cleanroom stuff, and I've yet to meet a single one that doesn't bitch about breweries having no idea about production schedules after working with that.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 11, 2022

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical

Escape From Noise posted:

I could nail it to their faces and it wouldn't stick because "But we need this now. Just this once!" every time.

This is just standard Sales garbage. I once had to explain to someone that neither a semi truck nor they could drive 900 miles in 4 hours. They still insisted that it was possible and that I was just not "cultivating a customer focused mindset ".

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Hutla posted:

This is just standard Sales garbage. I once had to explain to someone that neither a semi truck nor they could drive 900 miles in 4 hours. They still insisted that it was possible and that I was just not "cultivating a customer focused mindset ".

At a previous job, we had "sales engineers". They didn't have the best reputation amongst other engineering staff.

Come to think of it, they were literally the folks that talked to the customers so the other engineers didn't have to.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

TotalLossBrain posted:

At a previous job, we had "sales engineers". They didn't have the best reputation amongst other engineering staff.

Come to think of it, they were literally the folks that talked to the customers so the other engineers didn't have to.

Really all depends on the engineer. A good one is able to reign in the rear end in a top hat sales guy who will promise a from-scratch CRM in 4 months, despite the fact that your company's product is IoT hog feed dispensers. A bad one just nods along with whatever, then fucks off to play golf or sleep in his car.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Love to spend the first hour of a 90 min meeting listening to a small group of people working out the poo poo they should have worked out before the meeting.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

TotalLossBrain posted:

'Combination salesperson/engineer' is the sort of thing a successful society will instinctively throw into a volcano.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

gleebster posted:

Love to spend the first hour of a 90 min meeting listening to a small group of people working out the poo poo they should have worked out before the meeting.
I had one of those last night followed by meeting to schedule a larger meeting. Very efficient use of my time, felt like.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
You guys are making me chuckle nervously. interfacing between spergy smart guys and dumbass clients has been my bread n butter

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Hutla posted:

A boss a long time ago promised that I could be onsite in 6 hours to a town that is at best an 8 hour drive. That was if I left the office that minute and drove non-stop. Never mind stopping to get clothes and a rental car first. He was actually mad when a few hours into the drive he called and asked why I wasn't closer.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

20 Blunts posted:

I deal with the god drat customers so the engineers don't have to. I have people skills; I am good at dealing with people. Can't you understand that?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

CitizenKain posted:

A boss a long time ago promised that I could be onsite in 6 hours to a town that is at best an 8 hour drive. That was if I left the office that minute and drove non-stop. Never mind stopping to get clothes and a rental car first. He was actually mad when a few hours into the drive he called and asked why I wasn't closer.

this is the classic big-brain move of "over promise, under deliver" and it works every time with no negative consequences whatsoever and is not an immediate sentence for unnecessary stress

Future Me will deal with it; gently caress that stupid rear end in a top hat

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
He looked at a map and figured there's no meaningful difference between as the crow flies and as the employees drives.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Or based it on his own driving speed.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Outrail posted:

'Combination salesperson/engineer' is the sort of thing a successful society will instinctively throw into a volcano.

Counterpoint: as a client you need at least one person from each vendor that you can go to to say "this is the outcome I need, how can you get us there"

Usually this is a former tech that transitioned into a bizdev role when they got tired of it.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

MrQwerty posted:

There were days in the drug factory where I'd come to work and be in a cleanroom for 12 solid hours with no breaks and 15 minutes to go wash up, force all bodily waste out then get the gently caress back in because HIRING FREEZE 6 PEOPLE IS 120% SHIFT CAPACITY EVEN THOUGH YOUR FILLING TEAM WAS 15 WHEN YOU STARTED; and then there were days where I'd clock in to work and go sit at a restaurant with a couple other people for 2-4 hours then go play pokemon go or something with them for 4 more hours while we either waited for midnight to sanitize hallways, or for a txt message to tell us to be in a cleanroom in 20 minutes. Our production schedule wasn't scheduled because there's no accounting for, "raw drug failing bioburden," or, "tank heater stopped working and nobody can fix it on nights," etc. Like, there was a solid schedule written every day, it was just complete horseshit and it never followed through once in 4 years. Edit: about 30% of the time I'd come in to the day shift sitting in the breakroom because there was a problem with something at 9AM, a problem that on my shift they'd say CONTINUE on, and those were the no-break nights from the second I walked in the plant.

Going to a plant with a solid 8-hour production schedule per shift was very, very jarring initially. A lot of people I know from the drug plant went to breweries because it's 90% the same work outside the cleanroom stuff, and I've yet to meet a single one that doesn't bitch about breweries having no idea about production schedules after working with that.

I know it could be worse but since I'm the head brewer and the only person in the brewery it's driving me up a wall.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Feb 12, 2022

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Don't foam at the mouth as the head brewer please.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

TotalLossBrain posted:

Love going to the break room at the end of the day to take the remaining donuts home

I work late shift and I used to be the loving master of taking leftovers home. On days when there were meetings and the whole office got food I've walked out of there with literal bags full of food. Multiple times I've fed 3 people for the better part of a week on pizza, sandwiches and BBQ. If there's one thing I really miss about everybody working in the office it's this :(

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Same buddy :(

Kids miss it too

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My office used to be next to the customer visit area, which would often have catered lunches for the attendees. I was friends with our PR lady so she'd let us know when the event was over so I'd swoop in and have my free lunch and have some left for my team mates or the next day. Those were the days.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Takes No Damage posted:

I work late shift and I used to be the loving master of taking leftovers home. On days when there were meetings and the whole office got food I've walked out of there with literal bags full of food. Multiple times I've fed 3 people for the better part of a week on pizza, sandwiches and BBQ. If there's one thing I really miss about everybody working in the office it's this :(

A place I worked literally had people setting aside food to take home before everyone had even had a chance to eat so you’d have funny situations like literally running out of sandwiches because management only bought a couple extras based on headcount and yet some goon would be trying to stuff their backpack full of them.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Just had a lady quit on Friday because they wouldn't let her work from home or do a hybrid deal. Her boss and entire team works in Dallas while we're in Austin. Just the dumbest poo poo the leadership demands. My team? I don't give a single gently caress where they work, just as long as there is 1 person between the 4 of us thats in the office every day so leadership will stfu. It works out easy enough

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

George H.W. oval office posted:

Just had a lady quit on Friday because they wouldn't let her work from home or do a hybrid deal. Her boss and entire team works in Dallas while we're in Austin. Just the dumbest poo poo the leadership demands. My team? I don't give a single gently caress where they work, just as long as there is 1 person between the 4 of us thats in the office every day so leadership will stfu. It works out easy enough

Yeah, we mandate at least hybrid even though my team (except one other person hired after me) is 2,000 miles away, and we have another coworker who's the only member of their team not in NYC. For a long time it was "no WFH at all". Leadership just wants control for stupid reasons.
(I don't even want the WFH full time, my home office sucks and I can't afford to meaningfully improve it; I just want to stop losing people!)

Speaking of which, literally every member of my department except one is actively interviewing to leave the company and we just lost two keystone people, so of course management is hiring one replacement for less than any of us started at years ago, and expects people who haven't worked with the systems in question since before the pandemic to do training. And there's a threat of offshoring everything entirely if we lose more people. Cool. Very cool.

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

Certainly not the worst job experience I've had, but a 2.5 hour drive across some mountains for a drug test is a little weird. At least I only gotta do that once. Something about temp/contract workers having to go through a different hiring company that literally has no offices in my state lol

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

ArbitraryC posted:

A place I worked literally had people setting aside food to take home before everyone had even had a chance to eat so you’d have funny situations like literally running out of sandwiches because management only bought a couple extras based on headcount and yet some goon would be trying to stuff their backpack full of them.

I was working in a restaurant and some people brought in their own box of fancy cupcakes and asked us to plate them and the pastry chef got mad and said he was gonna see if they were any good and held back one of each of the 3 flavors and the customer immediately said 3 are missing wtf and he had to somehow justify stealing 3 cupcakes

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

it is rude to bring your own dessert to a place with a pastry chef but usually that just means paying a plating fee

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

CitizenKain posted:

"Because you wouldn't let me rent the Bugatti!" <:mad:>

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

punishedkissinger posted:

it is rude to bring your own dessert to a place with a pastry chef but usually that just means paying a plating fee

How is the customer meant to know that your restaurant has a real pastry chef versus just buying garbage that's been sitting in a fridge for 72 hours?
But I agree that they can charge "cakeage".

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

~Coxy posted:

How is the customer meant to know that your restaurant has a real pastry chef versus just buying garbage that's been sitting in a fridge for 72 hours?

Exactly. I always bring my own bags of O- blood to the hospital, why take the risk of stale blood?

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

~Coxy posted:

Well I think in some cases it's also a health risk/violation for the restaurant. As a restaurant they are responsible for whatever food gets eaten there. If you bring in something from somewhere else and get sick from it, it still looks bad on the restaurant.

Plus it's just a super dick move to bring outside food to a restaurant.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Combo posted:

Well I think in some cases it's also a health risk/violation for the restaurant. As a restaurant they are responsible for whatever food gets eaten there. If you bring in something from somewhere else and get sick from it, it still looks bad on the restaurant.

What, no it’s not? People frequently bring birthday cakes to restaurants, and it’s not a problem as long as you ask in advance.

What a super dick move, being a paying customer and asking for what you want.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Combo posted:

9 times out of 10, if someone is bringing outside food to a restaurant, they're doing it because there isn't an option on the menu that's safe for them to eat. If the person brought in cupcakes, they probably had a gluten allergy and didn't want to roll the dice on if the restaurant had safe desserts and a whole cake runs the risk of cross-contamination.

There was no mention of the customer fighting whatever plating charge they would have gotten, just them going "what the gently caress, I know how many cupcakes I brought in and three are missing".

For actual content: dumb poo poo my former workplace did: fire me for 'excessive absences' and being too slow at production.

I was a temp, heat-treating bulk material bags to fix loose threads. I'd been there since the start of the problem, when they brought in me and another temp to fix poo poo because replacing all the bags wasn't an option that they could do with the supply chain the way it is.

I was definitely the slowest worker, but I was also thorough as hell and I was producing enough to keep us ahead of where we needed to be. I got brought in on the first week of August, with the expectation that this would be a one or two week job; I got let go on January 27th.

During the first couple of weeks, we were definitely scrambling to keep up with production; we got asked to do 10 hour shifts for a bit, and got called in on a couple of weekends to make sure the plant didn't run out of bags and they had to bring in a second shift because we made it clear that constant overtime (however nice it was to get the money) wasn't sustainable for us.

But by October, we were keeping up. By December, we had checked and treated enough bags that they were having a hard time finding space to put everything. By the time I got let go? We only had about four thousand bags left to check and treat from the old shipments, they had new bags coming in that were redesigned to try and avoid the issues the old bags had, and we had so many treated bags piled up that we were having to play musical chairs with where to store them.

Being let go for production speed isn't a surprise; like I said, I was the slowest. I was trying to figure out how to speed up while still keeping quality where it needed to be. But "excessive absences" is "you called in sick too many times over the whole time you were here", which is loving whiplash from a company that was - up to that point - walking the walk with safety and prevention.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

ArbitraryC posted:

When we were in-office every one of our large scale, multi team meetings were catered by the on site food service company for breakfast and lunch both/all three days it ran. They never provided enough regular food but went loving crazy on desserts. It led to this weird thing where I went to the bathroom at the start of the lunch break and by the time I came back to the room there was salad and cookies, brownies, Rice Crispy squares, etc. left. I typically eat a salad for lunch anyways, so I was fine. There were so many left over giant cookies that I took one up to my boss (who loves them) and then packed up two more for my wife and I, a couple brownies and a handful Reese's cups when the meeting was over. After everyone had taken their share of things there was still a ton of stuff. I kind of assume that this happens because the company only serves wraps at these, no sandwiches for lunch. Making wraps for 40 people is going to take a while so you just make enough so everyone gets a half of one. The cookies are clearly factory produced, they're just too perfectly shaped for them to be made on site. Just bake all the desserts in the oven while making wraps and getting set up for normal lunch service and you're good to go.

A little over a week ago I mentioned that I did a video interview for a job with my current company. a couple days after that I got an email that acted like I hadn't applied through our internal system: "We discovered that you are an internal candidate and have provided your resume to a hiring manager..." I was wondering why the invitation for the weird video interview thing came to my personal account and not my corporate email. On Friday I got asked if I wanted to do an interview over Zoom next week. Funny thing: My company issued computer (which is what I'll be doing the interview through because accounts/profiles are tied into my company login) doesn't have a camera and the company has limited the call-my-phone version of Zoom meetings because it apparently costs way more than using computer audio. The person arranging the interview said that not being on video wouldn't effect my candidacy so I didn't worry about it. For about five minutes. The job is all about directly interfacing with vendors and I have no idea if my potential new manager actually saw my recorded responses to the other interview. I was supposed to get a new laptop about a month ago, but the company has not sent it to me or even acknowledge that I had submitted the form they sent to me. Long story short, I spent $43 on a webcam yesterday. If I don't get this job I'll just become a livestreamer, gently caress it.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
Once I had to call Poland to get DirectX9c redistributable installed (at a game publisher) so the outsourced help desk support could spend 45 minutes asking why I needed this software and where the license and product code was for it, then denying the approved request.

I handed the phone to the VP, who told the SVP and it came down hard on them. Same day our group were all given admin access to our assigned PCs and laptops from then on.

Slayerjerman fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 14, 2022

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Scientastic posted:

What, no it’s not? People frequently bring birthday cakes to restaurants, and it’s not a problem as long as you ask in advance.

What a super dick move, being a paying customer and asking for what you want.

Anecdotally, I worked in a moderately upscale restaurant for 4 years (years ago) and it never happened once that I can recall. There was no outside food and drink, full stop.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
It depends a lot on the type of establishment being discussed but even in nice restaurants it happens every single day. The irritating part for me isn't that they bring the food it's that a lot of people also demand that we refrigerate and store the ice cream cake they brought until they're ready to eat it, and fridge space is often limited especially during service

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Feb 14, 2022

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

pile of brown posted:

It depends a lot on the type of establishment being discussed but even in nice restaurants it happens every single day. The irritating part for me isn't that they bring the food it's that a lot of people also demand that we refrigerate and store the ice cream cake they brought until they're ready to eat it, and fridge space is often limited especially during service

I don't even work in the restaurant space, but my biggest bottleneck right now for getting beers out is cold room space. That's so lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

As long as you ask nicely, and aren’t a dick about it if the place has a good reason to say no, it’s OK. As with a lot of these things, the problem is the sense of entitlement around getting what you want: it’s not a lovely thing to do if you go about it in the right way, it is if you don’t.