Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

If you can find it, I'd love to read it.

It's gotten kinda hard to find the completest version of it, but here it is, sadly only in stardestroyet.net bbs forum: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=122169. The author's website is now only found on internet archive http://web.archive.org/web/20110709075711/http://www.domuspublica.net/index.html, where the thinking that led to the New Order in Power is found under Analysis.

As I see it, it's the most complete attempt at making sense of the whole Imperial system in its complexity and contradictions. Very ambitious and full of tiny details from sourcebooks and obscure short stories.

Advisory: The New Order in Power is a fanwork; it might be extensively sourced and footnoted (in Legends, this predates the Disneying), but still adds its own sometimes idiosyncratic creation, heavy on the greco-roman and european stylings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Arc Hammer posted:

The redeeming thins about Revelation is that Invincible is somehow even worse.

The positives

-The fight between Jaina and Jacen was pretty cool

-Boba Fett was in it to a minimum and he couldn't go back to Mandalore at the end as a final FU to Traviss I have to assume

Negatives
-Most everything else
-Admiral Dala takes over and becomes a #girl boss of the galaxy

Good God why did people call Kylo a ripoff of Cadus again? Did they just kinda blank all the gross stuff out and remember the interesting fall to Darkness stuff?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I think most people didn't actually read (or remember) the books and just know the character as "Han & Leia's Son turned to the dark side".

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Han's son uses a legal loophole to become space president, forms the space SS to attack undesirables, and bribes his dead brother's ex girlfriend with time travel sex to go and sexually assault his underaged cousin after assassinating a foreign head of state.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

“I am a genius”
-Troy Denning

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And he was inspired to do so by a space bdsm dominatrix cyborg nazi.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

setting aside the time travel sex this all does sound somewhat like kylo ren. and also assuming snoke was into space bdsm

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jazerus posted:

setting aside the time travel sex this all does sound somewhat like kylo ren. and also assuming snoke was into space bdsm

Dude, Snoke walks around his flagship in a golden bathrobe what do you think?

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I was watching these neat videos from 2010 with Timothy Zahn and Aaron Alliston talking about Star Wars writing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqbs1A7Wd0gPt 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_mPrG9hdLMPt 2

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Did any of the old Legends material for the Clone Wars discuss the immediate aftermath of Geonosis? There had to have been a brief period of mass mobilization for the Grand Army. It rushed headfirst into Geonosis and won a major tactical victory, but that's hardly the best way to plan for a full scale galactic war, especially when the rest of the Republic was in no way ready to suddenly start pumping out a war machine to support the Grand Army.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Well given that they had enough kit to arm, equip, transport, and support the invasion it seems pretty likely that Rothana Heavy Engineering were on board and building stuff. Presumably nobody did any forensic accounting before the Republic fell outside of the Clone Commando books, and nobody wanted to do much of it afterwards.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

at a minimum ol sheevy p must have had kuat drive yards (of kuat (owned by kuat of kuat)) working on star destroyers for years before the whole thing kicked off

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It’s one thing if you just have the operation of Kamino pumping out clones. It’s in the middle of nowhere and most people don’t even know it exists. All the other stuff is a gigantic arms buildup that would have been noticed by someone but you’re just expected to suspend your disbelief.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I suppose we're intended to just trust that the whole thing was funded quietly and since the Republic let everyone buy their own system defence fleets and mercenary armies then Rothana Heavy Engineering just assumed it was for one of those.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
As far as I can see, the only sources that touch on it in any detail are the Chronology, Jason Fry's Guide to Warfare, and Traviss's Order 66 book where they uncover that one of Coruscant's moon's is secretly housing a gigantic postwar occupation force. The Chronology and Warfare books briefly state that the early months of the war were very tough because the Republic's shipbuilding industry hadn't fully come online yet, so the original Geonosis army was stretched thin covering vital areas while the Seps dug into their bases in the Outer Rim.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Honest question, I always get a twinge of confusion reading Zahn when he presents Stormtroopers as the "cream of the crop" of Imperial troops, an Elite fighting force. I know there are some Stormtrooper regiments like the 501st who even in the Lucas-canon are considered top-notch, but I feel like this Zahn-take goes counter to how Stormtroopers are portrayed in the movies; hapless dime-a-dozen soldiers with scary armor. I know that in the movie we mostly only see them when they're up against the protagonists so they're going to lose, but besides the opening to ANH we don't really see Stormtroopers kick butt and take names at any other time, so I'm not sure how Zahn can justify his interpretation.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It’s a contradiction present in the original trilogy as well. They’re supposed to be the premiere fighting force in the galaxy but when they’re up against the main characters who all have plot armor they fail miserably. Zahn tries to keep the idea that they’re something to be feared, and makes sure to mention that there’s less elite Imperial soldiers. But most other authors just use Stormtroopers as generic bad guy henchmen.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Honest question, I always get a twinge of confusion reading Zahn when he presents Stormtroopers as the "cream of the crop" of Imperial troops, an Elite fighting force. I know there are some Stormtrooper regiments like the 501st who even in the Lucas-canon are considered top-notch, but I feel like this Zahn-take goes counter to how Stormtroopers are portrayed in the movies; hapless dime-a-dozen soldiers with scary armor. I know that in the movie we mostly only see them when they're up against the protagonists so they're going to lose, but besides the opening to ANH we don't really see Stormtroopers kick butt and take names at any other time, so I'm not sure how Zahn can justify his interpretation.

Not that I disagree with the overall point but they're pretty effective on Hoth as well.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
These blast points too accurate for sandpeople. Only Imperial stormtroopers are so precise.

Meanwhile Sandpeople can snipe a podracer going 800km/h

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Ben Kenobi, space racist

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Arc Hammer posted:

These blast points too accurate for sandpeople. Only Imperial stormtroopers are so precise.

Meanwhile Sandpeople can snipe a podracer going 800km/h

No, that just means Stormtroopers are even more accurate.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Zahn was working off Star Wars RPG sourcebooks that, iirc, had already established a bunch of Imperial military structure with elite Stormtroopers and whatever. He may have just shrugged and gone along.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Watching the original trilogy again these days I get the impression that the blocks of guys marching in black uniforms on the Death Star are intended to be "Imperial Army" type troops as well as naval gunners etc. I'm pretty sure they are wearing mostly the same uniforms as the troops on Mimban that we see in Solo, except for the helmets and the colour, because they were re-used for General Veers in ESB.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Maybe they're elite because they don't do a ton of drugs to cope with their PTSD and brain injuries and murder each other all the time like irl special forces. They're well adjusted and stable.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

In The New Rebellion, there's a plot point about a blanket amnesty of former Imperials that lets them join the New Republic. There's a part talking about the law that goes:

quote:

Leia had modified the election law with the help of her backers-no former stormtroopers could hold office, no Imperial of rank, no former Imperial governor-in short, no Imperial with access to power in the Empire could serve the New Republic.

It always struck me how stormtroopers were grouped with moffs in terms of fanatical and elite Imperial officials.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Stormtroopers are the SS Divisions as opposed to the Imperial Army emulating the Heer. Stormtroopers are intentional terror troops and death squads committing war crimes, at least in the old Legends.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I wish that interpretation was supported by the OT because it actually is a good idea, but I think you only see what are considered by Legends as "Ground Troops" a few times, and never in a direct combat operation (Except in ROTJ?). I liked in Solo that it seemed to be a thing, with Solo being one of the PBI, but all the other movies just point the other way with Stormtroopers being the average grunt.

Also, nearly done with Survivor's Quest, pretty good novel, but I feel that with each Zahn novel I read the number of traps, twists, and secret plots being used by characters just keeps increasing and increasing. After a while it starts distracting from the plot, and is a little tiresome.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

So they're doing a nu-canon version of The Courtship of Princess Leia, and surprise surprise it's a tie-in novel for the Disney theme park Star Wars hotel..

Not that CoPL was a great book or anything, but the stuff it introduced about Dathomir and Hapes was a huge part of the Legends continuity and is still being referenced all over the place, so it's a little disappointing that the story that laid all that groundwork is being replaced with a promo for the inevitable Disney Star Wars Wedding Package.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Robot Style posted:

So they're doing a nu-canon version of The Courtship of Princess Leia, and surprise surprise it's a tie-in novel for the Disney theme park Star Wars hotel..

Not that CoPL was a great book or anything, but the stuff it introduced about Dathomir and Hapes was a huge part of the Legends continuity and is still being referenced all over the place, so it's a little disappointing that the story that laid all that groundwork is being replaced with a promo for the inevitable Disney Star Wars Wedding Package.

quote:

After a ceremony at the site of the victory celebration at the end of the film, the newlyweds depart for a honeymoon aboard the Halcyon starcruiser, the luxury vessel at the heart of the new Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser experience at Disney World Resort.

Okay, I've defended a lot about the new canon and Disney stuff. But the sentence I just quoted is just...too much. I'm gonna go throw up.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the author at least seems to have taken "make leia and han actually have their chemistry from ESB" seriously, based on that interview, so maybe the core of the book will be solid despite being a luxury wedding ad

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
On the other hand, it'll be fun to ask cast members which room Kylo Ren was conceived in and watch them deal with that.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I wish that interpretation was supported by the OT because it actually is a good idea, but I think you only see what are considered by Legends as "Ground Troops" a few times, and never in a direct combat operation (Except in ROTJ?). I liked in Solo that it seemed to be a thing, with Solo being one of the PBI, but all the other movies just point the other way with Stormtroopers being the average grunt.
I think it's literally just in that scene, with the implication being that the Stormtroopers are there because the attack is expected and, ye know, "it's a trap". The Snowtrooper suits are actually similar too, but they're explicitely "Cold weather assault Stormtroopers" now so :shrug: We kind of just have to assume that the protagonists always see the special forces because the protagonists are doing protagonist things and taking on the toughest jobs.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 14, 2022

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

What little I’ve seen about it says it’s surprisingly cheap looking for what you pay for it.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Arquinsiel posted:

On the other hand, it'll be fun to ask cast members which room Kylo Ren was conceived in and watch them deal with that.

The correct answer is somewhere in the Falcon.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

fartknocker posted:

The correct answer is somewhere in the Falcon.
Then you ask the cast members in Smuggler's Run where it happened :v:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

Okay, I've defended a lot about the new canon and Disney stuff. But the sentence I just quoted is just...too much. I'm gonna go throw up.

It's funny how every single advertising campaign Disney has attempted for this has just crashed and burned, even among the most diehard YouTube Disney freaks. This is just the one thing that finally went over the line for Disney fan PR.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Arquinsiel posted:

I think it's literally just in that scene, with the implication being that the Stormtroopers are there because the attack is expected and, ye know, "it's a trap". The Snowtrooper suits are actually similar too, but they're explicitely "Cold weather assault Stormtroopers" now so :shrug: We kind of just have to assume that the protagonists always see the special forces because the protagonists are doing protagonist things and taking on the toughest jobs.

Yeah, that makes sense, and I can see the protags as having advantages over the Stormtroopers; A) they're good fighters themselves, and B) seems like the Stormtroopers are always ordered to capture not kill them (Although I was watching ROTJ again the other day with my son, and kind of had to ignore the really dumb moment during the Endor battle where some troopers stop and try to take prisoner Han and Leia, who are trying to break in to the bunker). I always liked the Snowtroopers.

Thrawn527 posted:

Given that we already know the marriage crashes and burns, I feel nothing toward this book. I'll have to give Courtship a go sometime soon.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Now of course so much of the EU was about fighting against various Imperial Remnant forces. So they probably dressed any schmuck they could in Stormtrooper armor in an attempt to maintain legitimacy.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

thrawn527 posted:

isnt the hotel cheap as gently caress looking and overly star trek looking?

also do you get a complimentary roofie rape ray gun?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Yeah, that makes sense, and I can see the protags as having advantages over the Stormtroopers; A) they're good fighters themselves, and B) seems like the Stormtroopers are always ordered to capture not kill them (Although I was watching ROTJ again the other day with my son, and kind of had to ignore the really dumb moment during the Endor battle where some troopers stop and try to take prisoner Han and Leia, who are trying to break in to the bunker). I always liked the Snowtroopers.
Eh, just assume that Vader ordered them to be captured if possible so that they could be publicly executed as a big show of power to the galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

Now of course so much of the EU was about fighting against various Imperial Remnant forces. So they probably dressed any schmuck they could in Stormtrooper armor in an attempt to maintain legitimacy.

i think most of the remnant sourced their stormtroopers and officers from carida until kyp, uh, did the thing, which is when the remnant splintered for real into a bunch of disconnected warlords