Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Welcome to one of my favorite games from my childhood!

Dungeon Master!

First released for the Commodore Amiga and the Atari ST in 1987, and later released for IBM PC, SNES, Apple IIGS, X68000, PC-9801, and FM-Town.

It's a 2.5D fantasy RPG with real time battles.

I am going to be playing the Amiga 3.6 release that came out in 1992 that changed a few sounds and had bug fixes.

This is going to be a screenshot LP and I'm going to let the audience choose what 4 characters I play with.

Next post will be the cast of characters!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Choose 4 Characters!

1. Iaido Ruyito Chiburi

2. Zed Duke of Banville

3. Elija Lion of Yaitopya

4. Syra Child of Nature

5. Halk the Barbarian

6. Tiggy Tamal

7. Wu Tse Son of Heaven

8. Daroou

9. Azizi Johari

10. Leif the Valiant

11. Stamm Bladecaster

12. Mophus the Healer

13. Wuuf the Bika

14. Leyla Shadowseek

15. Sonja She Devil

16. Linflas

17. Gando Thurfoot

18. Hissssa Lizar of Makan

19. Gothmog

20. Alex Ander

21. Boris Wizard of Baldor

22. Hawk the Fearless

23. Chani Sayyandina Sihaya

24. Nabi the Prophet

I can beat the game with whoever is chosen.

Whoever is chosen will be reincarnated and I'll explain that and the story when the champions are chosen.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
1. Gothmog
2. Wu Tse Son of Heaven
3. Hawk the Fearless
4. Tiggy Tamal

I've never seen this particular RPG, the characters are certainly something.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

BraveLittleToaster posted:

1. Gothmog
2. Wu Tse Son of Heaven
3. Hawk the Fearless
4. Tiggy Tamal

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
The dog.
The small dog.
The small dog who is a ninja/priest.
Wuuf the Bika.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
I only know this as one of the earliest 1st-person dungeon crawler RPGs. I haven't played it myself, so I'm interested in seeing this. With that little knowledge, my choices are the ones who aren't standard D&D player races:

Daroou
Wuuf
Hissssa Lizar
Gothmog

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.
Gothmog and Hisssa go without saying. Hawk can come too because his name is sick. And I guess Tiggy because I know a cat named that.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Azizi
Wuuf
Gando
Hisssa

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
This is a game that's extremely familiar to me, I spent a lot of my childhood playing this.

Zed Duke of Banville - Mainly for the all round basic starting round stats. Getting those started is a pain in the rear end, someone who can do a bit of everything at the start is helpful.

Linflas - You need a decent fighter upfront and there are some good choices. This guy can pull out a couple of fireballs if necessary.

Tiggy Tamal - When she runs out of mana she can lob things around.

Wuuf the Bika - He can stand at the back throwing things and practising spells.

You can complete the game with any of the characters, they can all turn into all-round powerhouses eventually if you grind each if their stats enough. Some of the characters make the early game easier though in terms of stats and starting equipment.

Choosing someone with 0 mana though is a bad move as they can't even practise the most basic spells until they've levelled up a few times. The best way to get those magic skills up is to practise them.

Edit: The best way to get every skill up is to practise them.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jan 29, 2022

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Alpha3KV posted:

I only know this as one of the earliest 1st-person dungeon crawler RPGs. I haven't played it myself, so I'm interested in seeing this. With that little knowledge, my choices are the ones who aren't standard D&D player races:

Daroou
Wuuf
Hissssa Lizar
Gothmog

yes to all of this

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I vote for Danaru Daroou.

Also Wizard Boris.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
My first instinct was to choose the people with the goofiest names. Which makes for a very tough competition.
Daroou
Wuuf the Bika
Sonja She Devil
Tiggy Tamal

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'll explain the whole resurrect/reincarnate option early.

The resurrect option gives you the character as shown in the pictures above.

Reincarnate though, wipes out the skills and gives the player the option to rename the champion.

Let's use Zed as an example.

Here he is as you first look at him in the mirror:

average in everything.

Now, here he is after he's been reincarnated and renamed:

Most of his stats get a slight boost, except for dex for some reason. He gets to keep his health, stamina, mana, and items though.

This is great because you can start training skills early and he will be much stronger later in the game compared to a resurrected Zed.

I'll show the modifed stats of whoever is chosen since I'm going to reincarnate everyone and keep their names.

I'll start with the characters with the most votes tomorrow (1/30) whenever I get up, which is roughly 7ish CST.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Wait, Chani Sayadinna Saihaya? Really? God bless these nerdy devs. She gets my vote.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Daroou x4

The Pocket Savior
Feb 16, 2011
Elija Lion of Yaitopya
Stamm Bladecaster
Hawk the Fearless
Nabi the Prophet

There is only one characteristic that matters.

See if you can figure out what that is.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Buddy,

If the game would allow me to...

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The Pocket Savior posted:

Elija Lion of Yaitopya
Stamm Bladecaster
Hawk the Fearless
Nabi the Prophet

There is only one characteristic that matters.

See if you can figure out what that is.

Beards

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

So tallying the votes it looks like the party is going to be:

Gothmog
Wuuf the Bika
Daroou
Tiggy Tamal

I'll work on the first update and hopefully post it either tonight or tomorrow!

Thank you for voting!

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
It's rare when the let's play forum hit me nostalgia, but Dungeon Master is one game on the list. Never finished it though, but it was impressive back in the days.

And the small dog is in the party. :toot:

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Wuuf

That is all

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Wait, Chani Sayadinna Saihaya? Really? God bless these nerdy devs. She gets my vote.

Yes, really. The character selection is full of various references in general.

As for me, I'm gonna throw a vote for Team Shorties:

Tiggy
Boris
Wuuf
Gando

ed: Welp, didn't notice the voting ended.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 2, 2022

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
Wuuf the Bika is a nice pick. The low HP means he bites it every now and then, but the flask he comes with is really really nice, for reasons that will become apparent. I don't remember where you first find a flask in the game, there might be one hidden somewhere in level 2? I think there's one near the exit of 2.

Darouu though... well he survives things that the useful party members don't, and can then haul their corpses to the resurrection altar. Darouu might some day be capable of successfully casting Lo Ful. Darouu might gain a wizard level. Some day.

It's a really impressive game though. Most contemporary RPG games were saddled with the awful D&D ruleset, while this one has a very sleek, modern and unobtrusive system where characters learn what they do. No silly equipment restrictions either, you can have your black Gandalf wield a battleax and wear a bra if you choose. The only thing that keeps it from being approachable these days is the lack of an automap, and the fact that a compass is not an UI feature. The dungeon is mostly designed to be easily navigable, but with every corridor looking the same you're likely to get lost anyway.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

StoryTime posted:

Wuuf the Bika is a nice pick. The low HP means he bites it every now and then, but the flask he comes with is really really nice, for reasons that will become apparent. I don't remember where you first find a flask in the game, there might be one hidden somewhere in level 2? I think there's one near the exit of 2.

I completely glossed over the fact that he started with a flask, something that can really help with levelling up the priest skill early. There's a chest near the end of the level that contains a flask.

I feel like replaying this game again.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

And I missed the fact that our wizard Tiggy has even less HP than Wuuf. Our back line is made of glass, I can see constant trips to the resurrection hole in the future of this party. The good news is that offensive spells are very powerful and the casting times are short, so Tiggy should be able to serve out the pain while alive.

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Feb 4, 2022

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm not going worry about Tiggy's or Wuuf's low HP. I can fix that with a little elbow grease. I am going to make it a little more difficult by only casting spells after I find their recipe in the dungeon.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hopefully the first update will be tomorrow. I spent the week with blizzards and stressing that I'm not doing this LP well enough.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

I found out that it's possible to play the DOS version of the game in a browser these days:

https://playclassic.games/games/role-playing-dos-games-online/play-dungeon-master-online/play/

Edit: use Ad-Lib for the sound, Sound Blaster is ear destroying

Turns out there are way more flasks around than I remembered. You can't really have too many, though.

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Feb 5, 2022

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Can't ever have enough flasks!

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Update 1:

The Story so far:

TL;DR: Grey Lord fails at getting staff, splits into Chaos and Order, ruins everything, it's up to a ghost (Theron) to succeed where the Grey Lord failed.

The game starts you here:

In front of the Grey Lord's Dungeon, only now has the face of Chaos on the door.

Welcome to the dungeon! It's extremely gray! No, the game has the same dungeon texture the entire time! They didn't call him the Grey Lord for nothing. Time to grab the voted on champions

Gothmog
Tammy
Wuuf
Daroou

Welcome back Champions! I might of accidentally wiped all of your skills getting you all out of the mirrors

:gonk:

Theron seems to be a terrible ghost, weightless, but can't float through anything. You need at least one champion so you can start the game. Yes, you can play with only champion if you want more of a challenge.

The color each character is just a reflection of the order that they were brought back. Any character could be any one of the four colors.

The party order is in the upper right and any character can be in any slot. The top 2 are the only ones who can use melee. What side a character is on matters. enemies can be on the left, right, or center. It doesn't matter for melee, but characters on the left will only throw items/spells to the left and the same on the right. Since it doesn't change anything else on screen, you can easily forget that you have your squishy wizards up front and they get killed.

There's a lot of do nothing decorative things on the wall, which breaks up the monotony a little. We also come upon the first pickupable item, an apple! I don't show it in the inventory for a bit, but you have to keep your champions fed and hydrated or they'll get slower and can't carry as much, then eventually die from starvation or dehydration.

Here we have a scroll and a bota! Bota are refillable water sources that can be filled at fountains.

Here's what the scroll says. Now I can be god! Let there be light! I'll make a bonus post about the rune system in this game. Since I wiped everyone's brains though, they'll constantly fail at this spell, no matter who it is. It costs 6 mana so even Daroou can try to cast it once before needing to recharge.

Health, stamina, and mana will recharge just wandering around the dungeon, it'll recharge faster while resting, but it's nice to know I don't have to rest get mana back.

Here we have the altar of VI, which is where you resurrect dead characters. Why the Chaos Lord left them in? :iiam:

There's a small room with a few more food items, I grab them and head downstairs.

Welcome to the first true level of the dungeon! It's quite dark! Here's where I start having everyone practice casting LO FUL (first level light spell)

Here's what happens when you turn while at the bottom of the stairs, dungeon rave!

A low level light spell doesn't completely brighten the area, you have to cast several to get it completely bright.

Like so.

I head to the right and open a door and encounter our first enemy! A mummy! They're really dangerous for a party like ours, they can hit for upwards of 25 damage, which can kill Tiggy and Wuuf really fast.

So I back up, and drop the door on it.

It doesn't approve and backs away. This hurts it and it prioritizes backing away to causing pain. There's few monsters that can open doors in this game thankfully, so ambushes are rare.

Behind the mummy is a scroll, food, and a button.

Scroll posted:

Small details can hide great rewards
Obviously hinting at the "secret button" Once you push it, an alcove appears and you get a falchion! So I have enough fighter weapons for the front row!

Heading out to the left path leads us to a door with a keyhole next to it, with the key in front of the door. :geno:
Dungeon Master absolutely loves it's keys. There's more key doors on this level compared to push to open doors! This is a gold key.

Here we have a fountain, for all our thirst needs! You can click an empty bota on it to fill it, or click on it empty handed to refill the water bar on the character with the highlighted name. To the left are 2 doors right in a row I don't have keys for yet.

Further in the dungeon and we happen upon a pit and switch! We can fall in the pit for massive damage, or if we had one character with a rope, climb down uninjured.

This is the aftermath of falling down once. The sparkles in front of me is a teleporter. It zaps me back in front of the switch. I flip the switch, and grab boots and a key that doesn't fit the door by the fountain earlier. So I continue on.

Here we have I'd say the first "puzzle" of the game. First pressure plate opens the door, second one closes it. I wonder how to get around it. *looks to the empty spots to the side*

Finally a shirt for Daroou, some throwing weapons, and another key. So many keys.

heading onward, I find boots and another falchion. In distance there a scone holding a torch. I just grab them and use them for weighing down pressure plates.

There's a another key here. Can you see it? I couldn't for about 20 minutes or so

They could of used another color for the keys, why gray?!?

After opening even more key door opening, we run across the other enemy on level 2. The screamer! It's a slow moving mushroom. It moves much slower than the mummy, barely does any damage, easily killed. and drops delicious, delicious, screamer slices. YUM!

YUM!

As an aside, this game has no music, none. It took Amiga programmers a bit to figure out to have both sound and music in their games. I don't think FTL had composers on the team, so no music. The other memorable game to me, is Megalomania that only has sound or music. Only sound is the monsters wandering around, their attack sounds, and magic. There are some monsters that have no sound too. This game is really quiet at times.

After punching another screamer to death, I come upon another puzzle room. 9 pressure plates and 2 doors to open. Fastest way is to walk straight through to the first door, which will be open, then back up onto the last pressure plate, solved.

The game likes to show, not tell when it comes to mechanics. There's a door, a pressure plate, and a rock. The door is only open when either the party or an item is on the plate. So put the rock on it and continue.

Here's the first time most people see a teleporter. It leads to a little 4x4 room with an apple.

Here we have some writing on the wall that only appears if something is on the pressure plate. What does it say?

Real funny Chaos

Past a few couple more keys that I can barely see are 2 screamers. Most enemies can come in groups of 1-4. Thankfully they're screamers so they are easily dispatched by throwing things at them.

Behind the screamers, we finally come upon more flasks and a couple of priest spells. Most priest spells need flasks because they're potions. So the more flasks I have, the happier I am. Now I can start to train everyone as priests.

Put a flask in either or both hands of the character you want to make the potion, then cast the spell, and if they didn't dick it up, a potion! Flasks are reusable with a couple of exceptions I will show you when it comes up.

Here's another easy puzzle. Push the green button to open the door, avoid the pressure plate . Easy.

Not all teleporters work on the party, this one only works with items. Drop anything and it will be teleported onto a pressure plate and close the pit.

More mummies! A dangerous group of 3. Thankfully I kill them without too much difficulty. Some monsters when reduced to one left, will run away from you. Which can be really annoying if they're fast.

Past the mummies is a coin. There's no stores in the game, so they act like more keys.

After some practice. Tiggy is the first to gain a level! A wizard level so she gets all of 2 HP and mana. It'll get better and I'll be training everyone in fighter and ninja to build up HP.

More soon to be food! Mmm! I use them for throwing practice.

A treasure chest! This teleporter is acting as a barrier. There's a corridor to the left that loops around. When I come up to the door, it closes and Gandalf writes on the wall. Unfortunately for the door. It's the one type you can smash with weapons.

There's the chest! It contains 2 YA BRO potions, which are shield potions. Chests are nice to take with you because they can help with inventory limits, having 8 slots. Their only issue is that they have weight to them on top of what's in it. So give it to your stronger characters.

Gothmog is the 2nd to gain a level, also a wizard level. So very small gains.

After continuing on, we come upon a door, a fountain. and this writing. This is where you use the coin. Use it on the fountain and the door opens. It's a nice change from trying to guess what key goes in the keyhole.

SCREAMERS ARE STILL ON THE MENU BOYS!

While making screamer slices, Daroou gains the first fighter level! He gains 9 HP, much more than the wizard level.

So many slices! Also a torch for some reason.

A switch that leads to a small room with another falchion I don't need, which also has a switch which leads to a 4x4 room that has a unassuming item. The magical box, when used, freezes life. Meaning it paralyses the creature in front of you when used. Which is really really useful. This is being saved for much later.

More mummies! Not memorable, except they can wreck me if they get luck. Also Wuuf levels up! He levels up in Ninja cause him and Tiggy have been yeeting everything at monsters. Which is a good use for the back row. Wuuf gets 6hp so he's a little less squishy now!

Past the mummies is another chest with our first offensive spell! Poison bolt! Works on most monsters. The thing with both spells and thrown items is you don't know how much damage is done. a LO (first level) spell will do less damage than a MON (6th level spell), but you don't know how much. I still sling items and spells at monsters. I just don't know how well it works.

Past that is the stairs down to the next level!

Next update will be a bonus update with the map for this level and I'll elaborate on classes and magic spells.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
YA BRO always has your back.

Is melee combat in this game the usual safety square dance you see in similar dungeon crawlers?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The old dropping the massive door the enemies head trick. Good for damage and for putting a barrier between you and them when they move out of the way. Did anyone work out just how much damage this does as it never seemed enough?

Mzbundifund posted:

YA BRO always has your back.

Is melee combat in this game the usual safety square dance you see in similar dungeon crawlers?

The game time moves around in some sort of pseudo real-time. If you have seen or played Grimrock then you'll be familiar with the mechanics. The square dance is a must for a number of enemies in this game as they're either tanks, HP sponges or can wreck you easily with a few hits.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Feb 14, 2022

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

The old dropping the massive door the enemies head trick. Good for damage and for putting a barrier between you and them when they move out of the way. Did anyone work out just how much damage this does as it never seemed enough?

It's possible to push the button and have a door start banging on the heads of your own party. It's about 7-10 hp each hit with maybe 2 hits per second. It can't miss, it'll always hit all 4 sub squares.

Yeah, I remember the tougher enemies just tanking a door and still beating your front lines' asses.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

The game time moves around in some sort of pseudo real-time. If you have seen or played Grimrock then you'll be familiar with the mechanics. The square dance is a must for a number of enemies in this game as they're either tanks, HP sponges or can wreck you easily with a few hits.

Hence the title! With the party that was voted on, most of them would die to 1 or 2 mummy strikes. With the dance, almost anyone can survive on the front lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

*Blows dust off LP*

This LP isn't dead! Just sleeping!

Now what was I doing? Oh yeah! Map of the first level! Here it is snipped from the official hintbook!

seeing those pages brings back so much nostalgia :allears:

Map isn't simple for being the first dungeon map, is it?

Was there anything else I was gonna talk about? Umm.... Magic? Magic! That's right!

Magic is rune based and costs mana. Anybody can cast spells in this game, as long as they have the mana and skill. Even the biggest dum-dum with a 0 mana pool can be given items to boost mana and then practice spells. A nice thing in this game is you don't have to complete the spell all in one go. say you want to cast a 2 rune spell but only have 4 mana, each rune costs 3 mana. You can select the first rune, recharge mana, select second rune.

The following tables are from http://dmweb.free.fr/ which I remember from my youth and thought would be dead, but no, still alive and kicking!

All the runes, they are shared between the Priest and Wizard spells

Anything with potion in it's name needs an empty potion in one of the caster's hands or the spell will fail.

Before this LP, I didn't realize there were less wizard spells than priest spells!

If you know the runes, you can start throwing fireballs from the beginning if you want, any spell actually, game don't care.
I'm making my life a little more difficult by not casting spells until I find the scroll with the spell listed on it in the dungeon.

NEXT TIME: Level 3!