Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Motronic posted:

That doesn't give them a free pass. Constructive dismissal and similar are absolutely a thing, and wildly changing expectations and responsibilities is something to talk to an labor attorney about. If nothing else they won't be able to deny your unemployment benefits.

A friend of mine was working as a receptionist at an eye doctor place and the doctor kept escalating his demands of unreasonable personal assistant poo poo she do for him, to the point he brought in his dry cleaning and other laundry and tailor tasks for her to handle. She quit over that since it wasn't in her job description to be handling his personal affairs like this and it was only getting worse.

What would you say if I told you her unemployment benefits were denied AND the unemployment office sided with the doctor in the internal appeals hearing, because her job description noted that her duties were subject to change and update lol.

Welcome to the USA. Come stay a while but he careful not to get hurt or you'll go into medical bankruptcy! Just having a totally normal time for a supposedly developed industrialized nation.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Feb 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Lazyfire posted:

When we were in-office every one of our large scale, multi team meetings were catered by the on site food service company for breakfast and lunch both/all three days it ran. They never provided enough regular food but went loving crazy on desserts. It led to this weird thing where I went to the bathroom at the start of the lunch break and by the time I came back to the room there was salad and cookies, brownies, Rice Crispy squares, etc. left. I typically eat a salad for lunch anyways, so I was fine. There were so many left over giant cookies that I took one up to my boss (who loves them) and then packed up two more for my wife and I, a couple brownies and a handful Reese's cups when the meeting was over. After everyone had taken their share of things there was still a ton of stuff. I kind of assume that this happens because the company only serves wraps at these, no sandwiches for lunch. Making wraps for 40 people is going to take a while so you just make enough so everyone gets a half of one. The cookies are clearly factory produced, they're just too perfectly shaped for them to be made on site. Just bake all the desserts in the oven while making wraps and getting set up for normal lunch service and you're good to go.

A little over a week ago I mentioned that I did a video interview for a job with my current company. a couple days after that I got an email that acted like I hadn't applied through our internal system: "We discovered that you are an internal candidate and have provided your resume to a hiring manager..." I was wondering why the invitation for the weird video interview thing came to my personal account and not my corporate email. On Friday I got asked if I wanted to do an interview over Zoom next week. Funny thing: My company issued computer (which is what I'll be doing the interview through because accounts/profiles are tied into my company login) doesn't have a camera and the company has limited the call-my-phone version of Zoom meetings because it apparently costs way more than using computer audio. The person arranging the interview said that not being on video wouldn't effect my candidacy so I didn't worry about it. For about five minutes. The job is all about directly interfacing with vendors and I have no idea if my potential new manager actually saw my recorded responses to the other interview. I was supposed to get a new laptop about a month ago, but the company has not sent it to me or even acknowledge that I had submitted the form they sent to me. Long story short, I spent $43 on a webcam yesterday. If I don't get this job I'll just become a livestreamer, gently caress it.

Reading this kind of stuff gives me serious anxiety, these days with everyone WFH it feels like a lot of companies are using it as an excuse to intentionally misunderstand/be unable to properly communicate. I never posted this full story in this thread so:

At a place I no longer work at we were given unlimited paid time off. When the pandemic started and we all moved to WFH, we started to use more and more of it because we often dealt directly with customers through video, voice, or text and they were unbearable - like, verbally abusive every day, not just upset but rampaging with personal attacks and entitlement and oh my god they were THE WORST. So we were taking ample days off for mental health. Management encouraged this, they were very supportive and very quick to tell us to take as many days as we needed and not to worry about it.

Toward the summer of 2020 they decided that not only were they taking away our unlimited PTO and replacing it with a standard accrual system, which they gave us all the standard "Oh it's only fair, you were all using a lot of PTO! We need to make sure we have appropriate staffing..." bullshit about, but it came with two bonus gently caress-you's:
1) We would all start in the middle of the year with accrued hours based on our tenure
and 2) Except any PTO we had taken during the Free PTO part of 2020 would be docked against our accruals and we would not begin earning any PTO until we had accrued enough to 'pay back' what we had used throughout the year already.

This left virtually the entire company with not only zero PTO hours, but also a defecit that would take them a full year or more to nullify. They did this to everyone from the call center people up to product teams, the only departments that got to keep unlimited PTO were ones that were directly revenue-generating (in this case meaning things like marketing and onboarding, not development). I was in Operations and I could see from the looks on my managers' faces that the clock was ticking.

So okay, gently caress all of that - it was poo poo. It wasn't the only lovely change they made, but I suffered through it and the others until November because we were in the middle of a pandemic and at least I was working from home and being paid well. Around November the job was getting to me and since I had no way to request time off, I went through our leave request system to request an unpaid, non-medical (and therefore not legally protected) leave of absence. Before I submitted the request I checked with both my manager and the head of WFM to ask if this kind of leave was even worth asking for - is it ever approved, etc. Both of them said they didn't know but it wouldn't hurt to try and I should request it and find out.

The request was denied so I thought 'well that sucks' and kept working as normal. The next day I was locked out of our payroll system. I emailed the payroll team who ignored everything I wrote to them in the email and said "You're locked out of the payroll system because you're on leave."

For the next three weeks I was emailing my manager, HR, payroll, and workforce management on a daily basis trying to explain that I wasn't on leave because they had denied my request for leave.

In every email I sent them, at the bottom I listed the dates and times I had worked since being unable to access the payroll system as well as what I had worked on to leave an indisputable paper trail.

Every email they sent me was short and terse, saying only things like "So you're saying you didn't take your leave?" or "So you've been working all of these days?" or "Well our system shows that you're on leave."

After the first week of this, my paycheck arrived and it was missing one week's pay. When I told them this, they said I would need to follow up with the company that handled our leave benefits as I was on leave. Two weeks later I got no paycheck. I reached out to the head of Payroll first thing in the morning the following Monday and the only thing they said was "I don't see any problems on our end."

That's when I finally got frustrated enough to quit on the spot. I've asked them three times how/where I can send back my company laptop (they've closed the office I worked in since switching to WFH) and each time they say they'll send me something in the mail and then never do, so now I'm stuck lugging this lovely macbook around forever in case they suddenly decide they want it back one day. I had to file an unpaid wages claim with my state's industrial commission to get those last three weeks of pay - one week of it showed up about 3 weeks down the line and the other 2 weeks came maybe a month after that. The company I was working for is an enormously large and easily-disliked tech company and every time the agent assigned by the industrial commission to my case sent me any kind of communication I swear I could hear/read the smug sense of justice in their tone and verbiage. They were loving it. I hope they got to levy some fat-rear end fines :c00l: My only regrets are not also filing with the Department of Labor or not suing (before they actually paid my wages it would have been a slam-dunk case to sue for 3x the unpaid wage amount as well as get attorney fees covered, and knowing my employer they would have just settled - the same company was known to fire people who submitted legit FMLA paperwork and offer them a 6-month severance to waive their right to sue)

It was very much that employer's brand of "we're taking advantage of the situation to clean house and outsource" (which they have since done, I even got to remote train our replacements who they swore up and down over and over were not replacing us but assisting us! :-)) and I feel like it's just going to be "a thing" with WFH jobs forever.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Feb 14, 2022

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Scientastic posted:

As long as you ask nicely, and aren’t a dick about it if the place has a good reason to say no, it’s OK. As with a lot of these things, the problem is the sense of entitlement around getting what you want: it’s not a lovely thing to do if you go about it in the right way, it is if you don’t.

I'm more inclined to accommodate a request than a demand, and often have the ability to do so.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Interviewing for new positions. Likely candidate position comes up, they're just about ready to make an offer as long as I come in for an in-person interview, but they haven't mentioned PTO at all (while touching on holidays and sick time). Asked about it directly.

"Well, the owner is kind of old fashioned about PTO versus sick time and vacation time..." So vacation time accrues 5 days a year... starting after you've been there a year, from what I pieced together. Christ, people. You almost had me. Still going to go for the in-person interview because interviewing experience doesn't hurt and maybe she miscommunicated, but drat.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
No vacation accrual for a year? lmfao

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

SkyeAuroline posted:

Interviewing for new positions. Likely candidate position comes up, they're just about ready to make an offer as long as I come in for an in-person interview, but they haven't mentioned PTO at all (while touching on holidays and sick time). Asked about it directly.

"Well, the owner is kind of old fashioned about PTO versus sick time and vacation time..." So vacation time accrues 5 days a year... starting after you've been there a year, from what I pieced together. Christ, people. You almost had me. Still going to go for the in-person interview because interviewing experience doesn't hurt and maybe she miscommunicated, but drat.

Lol I interviewed bat a place in 2018 where the guy had to get HR on the phone to navigate the non-euclidean formula to calculate PTO and after like ten minutes of trying to figure it out that were like "After a year you'd have... 8.3 hours of PTO." I think the only reason I didn't tell them to gently caress off in person was I was so confused that places still run poo poo like that. Just give us a bank of PTO right off the bat.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

star eater posted:

The disappointing part is that other than that it seems perfectly fine. Quarter of the commute (if I didn't have to move last November it would have been walkable), better pay by at least a dollar an hour, vaguely more interesting work... but even setting aside actual vacations, which I don't take all that often, I have enough medical stuff going on that not being able to take any time off for a year is just untenable. Not exactly like medical professionals' schedules respect working-class patients' schedules to where I could work around it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Just Small Business Owner Things, OP.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
1 week of PTO and you don't get any in the first year.

Definitely small business tyrant vibes.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
WTF is "old-fashioned about PTO" even? You don't get any?

Starting a new job next week. I think I start out with three weeks

sootikins
May 24, 2008

Did I ever. Remember it as if it were yesterday. Soon as I woke, I went to empty my bowels - my favorite part of the day. Defecatin' to the sunrise - downright glorious.

TotalLossBrain posted:

WTF is "old-fashioned about PTO" even? You don't get any?

Starting a new job next week. I think I start out with three weeks

It used to be fairly standard to not get any vacation time loaded until the one year anniversary, and a very limited pool of sick days.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

wilderthanmild posted:

1 week of PTO and you don't get any in the first year.

Definitely small business tyrant vibes.

That's beyond hosed.

I have no way to predict what our projects are, so I make absolutely sure interviewees understand that 'varied work duties' mean anything from doing their actual job to standing in a stream taking measurements or looking after summer camp children or digging holes in the rain. At least it's never boring? I can absolutely see how that can be taken advantage of so I'm always checking to see if they're happy with the work. Mostly I'm worried I'll turn into a raging rear end in a top hat tyrant without realizing it.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

It’s extra annoying when you get the limited time off, but the owners are free to take time off as they please, while wanting all decisions to come through them first

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

star eater posted:

My first job when I switched careers, I didn't get any paid time off either, or sick leave. Really awesome with a 1 year old at the time. I took it, just to get my foot in the door, and left at exactly one year and got the job I'm at now where I've been since 2015.

When the owner of the previous company sat me down for a meeting trying to keep me, I cited having no time off the first year as one of the reasons I was fed up with the place.

"What? You got paid time off this past year, we don't have that rule"
"Well you go better talk to <his ex wife who handled HR AND payroll> because any day I took off was unpaid"

That place was a nightmare for a variety of reasons but that was one of them. And yeah, small business vibes. Last time I checked, the owner still hates my guts for leaving after a year because he "took a chance" on me.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Combo posted:

"What? You got paid time off this past year, we don't have that rule"
"Well you go better talk to <his ex wife who handled HR AND payroll> because any day I took off was unpaid"

The Small Business Owner 100 handbook instructs that under no circumstances should terms of employment ever be written down. Instead you give a verbal description in a vague, hurried manner. You should NOT do this with the employee and the HR lady at the same time, but separately so they that both have time to digest the information on their own.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Well he never talked to HR/payroll directly, it was his ex wife and he hated her.

It happened before my time there, but basically.

Two owners (Tom, Bill) that were good friends running different sides of the business. Wife of Tom worked there as HR/Payroll/Front Desk. She cheats on him with someone, he fires her because he can't stand to look at her anymore. About a year later, Bill hires her back to her old role, for ?reasons?. That place was all sorts of dysfunctional. An employee hung himself in the rafters of one of the storage warehouses. Another guy living in one of the warehouses went off his rocker and stole a police car/lead them on a high speed chase, etc. Tom was a hoarder, so it was nearly impossible to walk in the place. I'd clear off my workbench to work on something and by the time I got back it was full of poo poo again.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

deep dish peat moss posted:

Reading this kind of stuff gives me serious anxiety, these days with everyone WFH it feels like a lot of companies are using it as an excuse to intentionally misunderstand/be unable to properly communicate. I never posted this full story in this thread so:

Jesus.

WFH has been great for us and we haven't started doing weirdo poo poo or outsourcing work yet. I think that comes from us being a major engineering company with a ton of government contracts, so outsourcing work to non-US locations is pretty difficult. I know the company would love to send work to lower cost areas, but we've had such miserable experiences with US based contractors and outsourcing firms that there isn't a ton of drive to send work outside the company even if it would be cheaper per hour. Our direct hires just end up doing more/better work. We had to get rid of all the contractors on our team twice in the last two years. The time spend training them and then fixing their mistakes doesn't really help anything.

bobjr posted:

It’s extra annoying when you get the limited time off, but the owners are free to take time off as they please, while wanting all decisions to come through them first

For the last 36 years my dad has worked/owned the family store and has never given himself or any employee more than a week of vacation ever. When I told him I had three weeks of vacation on day one at my current job he was confused anyone could take more than five days off a year.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

deep dish peat moss posted:

That's when I finally got frustrated enough to quit on the spot. I've asked them three times how/where I can send back my company laptop (they've closed the office I worked in since switching to WFH) and each time they say they'll send me something in the mail and then never do, so now I'm stuck lugging this lovely macbook around forever in case they suddenly decide they want it back one day.

Set them a fixed date at which they must have provided you the means to return their property. Charge them for storage if they don't comply.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Lazyfire posted:

For the last 36 years my dad has worked/owned the family store and has never given himself or any employee more than a week of vacation ever. When I told him I had three weeks of vacation on day one at my current job he was confused anyone could take more than five days off a year.
My parents owned a store and I think they may have taken at the very most, three 1.5 week long vacations in twenty years.

And they could never let a day go by without calling in to "check on things". This was in the 80s and 90s, before cell phones. So it wasn't really a vacation for them, or anyone with them.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

BitBasher posted:

Anecdotally, I worked in a moderately upscale restaurant for 4 years (years ago) and it never happened once that I can recall. There was no outside food and drink, full stop.
No corkage fees? I loved it when some rich dude brought in e.g. some magnum or jeroboam (e.g. https://shopsk.com/products/perrier...8saAiUjEALw_wcB) then that's a $100+ corkage fee straight to the service staff.

Actually, not sure if that was policy or just something we did.....

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Cheesus posted:

My parents owned a store and I think they may have taken at the very most, three 1.5 week long vacations in twenty years.

And they could never let a day go by without calling in to "check on things". This was in the 80s and 90s, before cell phones. So it wasn't really a vacation for them, or anyone with them.

Thankfully, when my parents go on vacation my dad stays completely disconnected from the business. Supposedly he's going to retire in the next year or two, but the problem is that my uncle (his twin brother) is the current co-owner and they are essentially in a suicide pact that one can't retire before the other because both are certain that their kid working at the business will be screwed over by whichever of them doesn't retire.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
At the start of the pandemic my job shut down early, beginning of March 2020 early. It was my dream job, it paid well and had virtually no stress with a short commute.

Like clockwork, every 2 months they sent me an update saying "we will start back up again in 2 months, just hold tight"

Unemployment and savings ran out after 18 months. I tried taking on other jobs but my crap body isn't good enough for anything and depression is a bitch in general

This November I was on a phone call with the suicide crisis helpline, when I got a phone call saying they are really honestly truly coming back. I nearly passed out from the emotional whiplash

I'm finally scheduled for hours in March

My fiance wants to break up because she resents me for not working for these two years

happy valentines day

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
^^^ Bro, so loving sorry. I hope you can work through it. ^^^

Small but welcome development regarding my progress with my former employer (who claimed to terminate me for cause without any warning, paper trail, counselings, nothing, while I also was ostensibly on FMLA (it had expired but they kept honoring my call-outs because they don't check details and they never told me how many benefit hours I had):

They claim they fired me for cause so in NC I am not entitled to unemployment insurance benefits, unless I can successfully dispute the legality of the termination. I immediately disputed the legality of my termination, and I got my determination this week.

EDIT: To be clear, this is the salient bit from the final paragraph:

quote:

REASONS:
(...) In this case, however, at least one of the following applied: (1) claimant was insufficiently warned; (2) claimant was unaware of the employer's policy or expectation(s); or (3) the violation was not within the claimant's reasonable ability to have prevented or controlled.

CONCLUSIONS:
N.C. Gen. Stat. § 96-14.6(a) and (b) provide an individual shall be disqualified for benefits if it is determined by the Division he/she is unemployed for misconduct connected with the work. Misconduct connected with the work is defined as (legalese).

Based on the Law as applied to the facts of this case, it is concluded that the claimant's discharge was not for misconduct connected with the work.

Yes.

I now have a letter from the state of NC advising I AM NOT disqualified for benefits, I got four weeks' UI at once, my former employer used the exact tactic with the NCDES they used on me; so I cannot WAIT for them to try it on my loving attorney, who is on track to send them my demand letter this week. gently caress them hard. They thought they could do me like this and leave me totally high and dry? Not this time, fuckers.

Living in NC I was sure I was hosed, but my former employer is far too incompetent to do anything legally and their mistake could be my five-figure severance package. Will report back after reading my demand letter to the company!

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 15, 2022

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i posted this in sh/sc but i might as well ask here as well.

can anyone recommend a good KVM switch for 1-200 dollars? I just ordered the K & M today, i have a decent V that's a few years old but is ultrawide and nice. now i just need a good switch so i can toggle between my two work laptops

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Welcome to the USA. Come stay a while but he careful not to get hurt or you'll go into medical bankruptcy! Just having a totally normal time for a supposedly developed industrialized nation.

Thanks for welcoming me to the country I live in. Care to comment on the above resolution, which also happened in this country, and why you thought you needed to poo poo on my advice to talk to an employment attorney? (which your friend did not do by your own telling)

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Remulak posted:

No corkage fees? I loved it when some rich dude brought in e.g. some magnum or jeroboam (e.g. https://shopsk.com/products/perrier...8saAiUjEALw_wcB) then that's a $100+ corkage fee straight to the service staff.

Corkage is a very common thing is most restaurants, where for $25 or whatever they'll take the wine you brought, pop the top and put it in a wine decanter for you. It's a hell of a deal if you have a bottle of something you know you like that you get for $40 at Costco, but it's $130/bottle at the restaurant.

It would be odd not to have it as an option, but I could see a few reasons why a location wouldn't want outside food or drink, full stop. Like insurance or licensing reasons.

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 15, 2022

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Yes because receptionists who got rejected for unemployment have the time and money to spend pursuing such things, rather than desperately finding a new job and diving into that wholeheartedly to get some income going ASAP.

When the onus is on the terminated employee to get a lawyer and follow things through as enforcement, it basically means the side with more of both of those (employers) can game the system against individuals.

I'm welcoming you to the country bc apparently you get to live in a very small, protected bubble of people whose employment rights seem to be respected, which is great for you but definitely not most of the country.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 15, 2022

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
There's a particular type of naive person that cries THATS ILLEGAL when bad poo poo goes down in various industries, and it's very cute because sure on paper these things are, but what matters here is enforcement, which relies on the victims spending resources to even begin to seek justice. Unless YOU are gonna put your money where your mouth is and foot the bill for their legal defense to pursue an issue, shut upppp and staaahp telling exploited people that they'd just be protected if they lawyered up. It's wonderful when someone can, phenomenal, but a lot of people just have to move onto the next gig and call it a lesson learned.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 15, 2022

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Motronic posted:

Thanks for welcoming me to the country I live in. Care to comment on the above resolution, which also happened in this country, and why you thought you needed to poo poo on my advice to talk to an employment attorney? (which your friend did not do by your own telling)

You are the specific guy I wanted to ask because you were the first person I ever heard bring up KVM. I got the two remote job set up finally.

Can you please recommend a simple KVM switch for a local set up (1 desk)?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Its 2022, I'm pretty sure a "single desk KVM" is just a $7.50 usb hub with HDMI that you plug in to whichever laptop you're currently futzing with.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Remulak posted:

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Corkage is a very common thing is most restaurants, where for $25 or whatever they'll take the wine you brought, pop the top and put it in a wine decanter for you. It's a hell of a deal if you have a bottle of something you know you like that you get for $40 at Costco, but it's $130/bottle at the restaurant.

It would be odd not to have it as an option, but I could see a few reasons why a location wouldn't want outside food or drink, full stop. Like insurance or licensing reasons.

No corkage at all that I knew of, I quit working there right as I turned 21, so I can't be 100% sure because I was never a waiter, only a busser. I do know that it wasn't listed on the menu if there was one. It was in a Casino in Vegas. I never once saw someone come in with a bottle. They bought off the wine list or do without AFAIK. It was an in house Italian/steak restaurant, owned and ran by the casino directly and not a rental space so things likely worked a little different than other restaurants I would imagine.

kntfkr posted:

You are the specific guy I wanted to ask because you were the first person I ever heard bring up KVM. I got the two remote job set up finally.

zedprime posted:

Its 2022, I'm pretty sure a "single desk KVM" is just a $7.50 usb hub with HDMI that you plug in to whichever laptop you're currently futzing with.

It's a little more complicated than that. I assume the K/M are USB not not PS/2? What type of video is the video for all 3 devices? Do they all 3 have a shared video type? Displayport (mini or full sized)? VGA? DVI? HDMI (mini or full sized)? USB-C?

To make a recommendation the connections are important.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

kntfkr posted:

i posted this in sh/sc but i might as well ask here as well.

can anyone recommend a good KVM switch for 1-200 dollars? I just ordered the K & M today, i have a decent V that's a few years old but is ultrawide and nice. now i just need a good switch so i can toggle between my two work laptops

Not a full KVM, but someone on SA recommended I try this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082K87B87/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And it works for my setup. I do have to switch the monitors manually, but I've got the process down pretty smoothly now. Click switch, hit a series of keys on monitor (I put the switch on the monitor by its buttons), and it just works.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kntfkr posted:

All of the KVMs under like $500 are pretty garbage. I use my monitor to switch inputs and a USB switch for the keyboard and mouse. Most USB switches are also garbage. I've had to go through a few to find the least bad. But at least they're cheap.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Have I worked in just weird workplaces or is it normal for companies to celebrate Valentine's day? There were hearts and balloons everywhere, we all had valentine's day candy on our desks, we got valentines day cards from HR.

I mean, I guess it is a harmless fun, but a lot of people are single? Last year I had to talk to someone in another department and he was like "Do you have any plans for valentines day? "Not, really, I mean a card and some candy, how about you?" "No, my partner of 5 years left me last month, so nothing planned this year." :stare: .

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

kntfkr posted:

This is the one I've had since the pandemic started and I've been really happy with it:

IOGEAR 2-Port HDMI Cable KVM Switch with Cables and Audio, GCS62HU, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004YCUDMU/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_4XK3HRDQQCCH8K4QZM19?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

StrangersInTheNight posted:

There's a particular type of naive person that cries THATS ILLEGAL when bad poo poo goes down in various industries, and it's very cute because sure on paper these things are, but what matters here is enforcement, which relies on the victims spending resources to even begin to seek justice. Unless YOU are gonna put your money where your mouth is and foot the bill for their legal defense to pursue an issue, shut upppp and staaahp telling exploited people that they'd just be protected if they lawyered up. It's wonderful when someone can, phenomenal, but a lot of people just have to move onto the next gig and call it a lesson learned.

Have you ever hired an employment plaintiffs lawyer in the US? They basically all work on contingency. A very high percentage of single plaintiff L&E lawsuits settle with some payout to the plaintiff.

So yes it takes time and energy “resources” and to give up some of the payout, but by hours spent for the average American it is much higher than their hourly rate.

The actual bill for their representation is usually 0, except maybe the $400 filing fee in some cases.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Thanks.

I think I'll go with this https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com...132&sr=1-3&th=1

I don't understand the need for audio out though, wouldn't all audio go through HDMI?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I hired an employment attorney once and it was pretty much $700 for nothing but letter writing.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Three Olives posted:

Have I worked in just weird workplaces or is it normal for companies to celebrate Valentine's day? There were hearts and balloons everywhere, we all had valentine's day candy on our desks, we got valentines day cards from HR.

I mean, I guess it is a harmless fun, but a lot of people are single? Last year I had to talk to someone in another department and he was like "Do you have any plans for valentines day? "Not, really, I mean a card and some candy, how about you?" "No, my partner of 5 years left me last month, so nothing planned this year." :stare: .

If I started work in an office and saw full-blown Valentines day decorations I'd have a similar expression if they announced a daily call to prayer over the intercom.

That's weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Three Olives posted:

The most I’ve ever seen is a super casual thing where the company brings in donuts or bags of candy or whatever - not decorations or anything.