Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

One of my first jobs was ringing people to try and hand out lost money.

In my country if a company has money they don't own and can't find an owner for andit just sits there it amasses a punitive rate of interest to encourage them to find its owner quickly.

It usually occurs because someone died with some forgotten account and no one ever claimed it and whoops it's 30 years later and costing a fortune.

While a really fun job, ring folks up and give them money, it was very hard to get to a point I could do that. Cause it sure as hell sounds like a scam when I rang and asked them to give me information.

https://youtu.be/03K1cR9qQZM

Was this you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Basically yes, only I couldn't tell you it was a massive yacht, or massive yacht money until you proved who you were to me.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I do surveys on behalf of federal and local governments, mostly public health, and most have a texting or CATI component so telephone scams interest me.

One project in particular that has had terrible response rates is this CDC study we are doing. It's an RDD sample of 15 states selected to participate in a push-to-web experiment and at best we could only match like 25% of phone numbers to addresses, so we can't mail a survey invite with a web link because it's not cost effective.

At first the design was to call people and get permission to text them a survey link (not my idea, I wasn't on the proposal). I think the RR for that ended up being like less than 5%. Most people just don't answer. We found we had to rotate the outbound number 3 times a day because it would only take a few hours to get flagged as spam. The cost per completed survey was ridiculous because CATI is so expensive.

So then the CDC was like gently caress it, just text people without their permission and out of a sample size of about 14,000 we only got like 200 completed surveys and that was after months of testing to make the texts as legit as possible and avoid getting them blocked by carriers. The good thing though is it only costs a few cents per message vs. spending thousands for all the CATI dialing to get one complete.

I remember throughout testing we were all like, "yeah i still wouldn't click this link."

Oh and the incentive was a $5 e-card. Survey is like 20 minutes.

Worst project I have ever been on.

On the plus side, at least you're getting something, as low quality as it is, and you're actually doing something that is useful to society, while I make a billionaire slightly richer.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Has anyone else seen a new thing on WhatsApp that must be some sort of scam? I've been getting a message from some number, usually UK-based, that I don't know, where the WhatsApp photo is a stereotypically attractive Asian woman. The first message is something like "Long time no see, [random name]" or "Following up on yesterday, [random name]." The first one I didn't realize it was a scam, so I told them they had the wrong number. They then said "Sorry to bother you" and started talking about themselves and asking who I was. What's their angle? Is this just some spin on a honey trap?

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
End goal could be anything from scamming you out of money to convincing you to click on malware, but the first, biggest hurdle is starting a conversation. Someone who replies to a text, even to say "sorry wrong number", is infinitely more likely to be a mark than someone who doesn't.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Yeah, one of the earliest scam calls I remember is some guy being like 'Hey is (relatively uncommon random name) there?'

With the response, no matter what you said being, 'Oh well maybe you can help me...' before launching into the spiels.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
I've seen some people end up in cryptocurrency related scams that start like that. Someone (often an attractive woman('s picture)) "wrong number" texts them, they start talking about investing somehow, convince the person to "invest" in cryptocurrency mining or forex or whatever, and then they keep all the money.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

The trick with these is to reply with hello.jpg. You will get ignored or sworn at and ignored.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I reply with pigballs.jpg just trying to brighten someone's day, maybe change their whole life

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I got one a week ago where the guy on the other end just asks me for my customer order instantly. As in 'Hello there, can you please give me your customer number'.
When I said they phoned me, he acted confused and said 'Ok, so whats your name so I can search on it'.
I said I didn't trust this, and ended the call.
This way of getting private info would fool a lot I would think, instead of the 'hey remember me?' ones.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
You can try replying "Alaye" to txt scammers. It's basically a codeword for "I'm a scammer too, stop wasting our time." "Omo ode" if you want to call them a dumbass.

https://www.legit.ng/1031944-8-insults-yoruba-mothers-use-will-reset-brain.html

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I got a an email with a pdf attachment from "Get Bill" and afraid to click it. I think it might be for an online baseball game I play but am not loving with that attachment to find out and the email was:

Hello BiggerBoat.

Please find attached paymеnt invoice for your reference.

Thanks and Rеgards,

Marlon Hayes

with no logo or any other info.

ANyone?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Seems like a basic invoice scam hoping to get paid for nothing.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

StormDrain posted:

Seems like a basic invoice scam hoping to get paid for nothing.

That's what I thought too or one of those click on the link/attachment and get hosed type of things. I googled Get Bill and it seems semi legit but I can't tell. Just about everything I pay for is linked to a credit card or my bank.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sounds like one of those Ugandan movie knockoffs of Tarantino.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

One of my first jobs was ringing people to try and hand out lost money.

In my country if a company has money they don't own and can't find an owner for andit just sits there it amasses a punitive rate of interest to encourage them to find its owner quickly.

It usually occurs because someone died with some forgotten account and no one ever claimed it and whoops it's 30 years later and costing a fortune.

While a really fun job, ring folks up and give them money, it was very hard to get to a point I could do that. Cause it sure as hell sounds like a scam when I rang and asked them to give me information.

I had a similar experience. Back at the hosed up little telemarketing company, we once had a customer that wanted to clean up their customer database; delete bad records, update names, find SPOCs at large organization, and the like. The catch was, the product was extremely high-end digital projectors back in the late 90s when those went for serious coin. Just short of 20% of our total outbound call volume was someone assuming we were thieves casing the joint. We had to add a resolution code for that a couple of days in to the project.

I don't blame 'em, those projectors were 5-figgies worth of in-demand electronics that came in its own carrying case with wheels and a handle.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So does Instagram offer a service where they text you a link that then bypasses their login security or something? My friend had his account compromised, then they went through his contact list to try the same thing on others. Naturally knowing about this I double checked with him/his wife this wasn’t legit (not that I got the link anyway as my phone on Instagram is years out of date).

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?
They do and it sucks. My spouse had someone try this on her today and asked me for help recovering her friend's account because it wasn't working. Luckily the link didn't get sent properly to her phone or else she would have lost her account. We've notified her friend via other means and reported the account as an impostor but instagram's support is virtually nonexistent and nonfunctional so good luck getting an account back.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

The Sausages posted:

They do and it sucks. My spouse had someone try this on her today and asked me for help recovering her friend's account because it wasn't working. Luckily the link didn't get sent properly to her phone or else she would have lost her account. We've notified her friend via other means and reported the account as an impostor but instagram's support is virtually nonexistent and nonfunctional so good luck getting an account back.

The fact that our social media has been subsumed by like 5 companies and none of them have actual customer support is baffling.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
They have great customer support actually! It's just that you're not the customer.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Not really imo. Behind door number one is capital expenditure to deliver an improved experience for your data point farm; behind door number two is more money because the user base isn't going to change their behavior in any meaningful way.

Only way to win is not to play. Plus, it makes SF86 paperwork and interviews a shitload easier!

e. ^^ lol

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Eric the Mauve posted:

They have great customer support actually! It's just that you're not the customer.

Yeah. It would be so nice if people would realise that if they're getting it free then they're the product.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I'm not sure how many of you remember my copy/pasted emails from "Patsy." I did not listen to any of you and block her, like I should have. Now she thinks thinks I am in jail thanks to the FBI but has also called around and found out that guy/I am not in any prison/jail. She's sooooo close to getting that she got scammed. Multiple people have told her she got scammed but she's still trying to claw back the money. :(

Literal years of me not responding and she still thinks all this is on the up and up and if she just waits long enough she will get repaid. If I respond it will just give her hope.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Desert Bus posted:

I'm not sure how many of you remember my copy/pasted emails from "Patsy." I did not listen to any of you and block her, like I should have. Now she thinks thinks I am in jail thanks to the FBI but has also called around and found out that guy/I am not in any prison/jail. She's sooooo close to getting that she got scammed. Multiple people have told her she got scammed but she's still trying to claw back the money. :(

Literal years of me not responding and she still thinks all this is on the up and up and if she just waits long enough she will get repaid. If I respond it will just give her hope.

At this point, I think responding to tell her that it's a scam may be the only way to help her move forward. It sounds like they're still scamming her by playing different roles than the ones she's discovered already, so the damage is ongoing. E.g. the fact that somehow "the fbi" has arrested him (bet the "hero" persona, his "daughter", now needs another $75 for forms to help the government etc.)

I also think she gets that it's a scam, but doesn't want to fully admit it to herself. She says it, multiple times, and even references the Romeo scam. You telling her might help, but it's also possible that she knows that it's a bullshit address and is using this as journaling for herself or something.

Maybe some religious phrasing like "I didn't want to say anything because this was your own test of faith, but after praying I realize that I cannot just stand by any more and let people continue to take advantage. There are wicked people in the world who will try to take advantage of your good nature, faith, and trust. They have no conscience, lie as casually as breathing, and cannot be shamed into change or returning their stolen riches, even to someone as pure as yourself. They change their name and identity like we change clothes. I do not want you to trust me, I only want you to trust this message: these people, who keep asking for bits of money here and there, will never stop on their own. They see you as a cow to be milked until you are finally dry. It is best that you never talk to them again, any of them, no matter who they say they are or how righteous their claims. Stephan, Michelle, whoever they claim is Thomas's daughter." Etc etc etc

Idk, but I would hope that you telling her that the dude can't even tell you who he is without lying will help tip her over the edge.

All is chaos, the center cannot hold :negative:

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jan 28, 2022

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It is idle to get between a fool and their folly

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah emailing her back is pointless, she’s not thinking logically. Only thing you can really try for is internet detective based on name, email address, and information provided in the emails to either find a Facebook account or address listing - then contact someone close to her who seems more grounded.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
There's a good chance her/her relative will decide you're the scammer if you reach out. No good deed goes unpunished.

Eric the Mauve posted:

It is idle to get between a fool and their folly

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Too true. It's obviously impossible to regain the money spent, but it sucks that she's likely *still* spending money on trying to recover it.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Yeah, from that chain it’s clear that she doesn’t understand that everyone she’s been talking to is the same teenager in Lagos or Belarus, and she’s just going to keep getting scammed. She just can’t put it together that zero % of what she’s been told is true. It’s sad.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Just block the emails OP. She's gonna keep emailing you forever because she's in too deep to accept she's been scammed and it's a really sad story that is gonna keep tugging at your heartstrings and potentially eventually compel you to respond, at which point you'll get wrapped up in/possibly blamed for the scam as well. It sounds cruel but the best thing you can do for your own mental health and safety is just block her and put the whole thing out of mind.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah emailing her back is pointless, she’s not thinking logically. Only thing you can really try for is internet detective based on name, email address, and information provided in the emails to either find a Facebook account or address listing - then contact someone close to her who seems more grounded.

if it in any way involves the US Mail, you could also send the info to the USPIS, since they actually look into financial crimes and scams

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
If you have any way of alerting a younger relative or her bank, there’s actually a chance you could do something to stop it. At the bank I work at if we tell a person they are getting scammed and they don’t believe us or otherwise insist on continuing to send money to the scammer, we shut down all their accounts and mail them a check. The reason for this is that as long as they are our customer we have a fiduciary duty to not help them send money to scammers if we know that’s what’s going on. The banks regulators also are paying more attention to elder fraud than they did 10 years ago.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
My wife got a voicemail this morning about an unpaid invoice from HP business services. Since her company does business with HP and they frequently neglect to send invoices she gave them a call back.

"Hello, HP blah blah blah, thank you for being a loyal customer! We'd like to send you a $100 gift card as a thanks!"
"Not interested in a gift card, I just need to get this invoice situation figured out before you send us to collections AGAIN."
"Ok but ma'am this is YOUR gift card, can I please have your name?"
"Mrs. Inspector. Now about that invoice..."
"And your address so I can send you the gift card please?"
"No. I don't care about the gift card, I just want to pay the invoice."
"Your address please?"
"No."
"Yes."
"Noooooooo?"
"Yesssssss!"

Then she hung up and called the number that's actually listed on her previous quarterly email. It turns out HP did forget to send another invoice 2 weeks ago, but it's not past due so they just sent it over and she paid it. She had it on speaker so I heard the conversation and it was just kind of surreal to have this guy kind of mocking her tone of voice like that would help his scam actually succeed.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
Echoing on the Asian lady/ what's app/ crypto scam. There's a lot of it going around. My experience has been with dating apps.

It's always I'm sure stolen pics from some kpop icon or Asian Instagram influencer.

The story is always pretty similar, "I'm here visiting my family, from (insert wealthy Asian country) and own a cosmetic line." Then days of pretty convincing getting to know you type stuff. Then they ask to get in what's app. Their number never matches the claimed home country code wise.

Then they ask if you invest in crypto ...I've tried both answers because there are several of these a week in a town of maybe 300-400k.

Saying no basically has them go a little further, chat and such but it sort of dies on the vine.
Saying yes and that's where I guess there is some exploit on Whatsapp that can allow them to get the deets in the crypto wallet on your phone.

Google Whatsapp crypto tinder scam and there are many articles about it.

I like wasting their time . Of course I don't have a crypto wallet

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Every week or so, I'll get some spam email thanking me for renewing some sort of thing (this week it's my Geek Squad plan - which I've never had) and that my payment has posted/cleared. I assume the scam is if I call the "custimer sevice" line to inquire, they'll try to get my credit card info to reverse the charge and then gently caress me over.

Right?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

Every week or so, I'll get some spam email thanking me for renewing some sort of thing (this week it's my Geek Squad plan - which I've never had) and that my payment has posted/cleared. I assume the scam is if I call the "custimer sevice" line to inquire, they'll try to get my credit card info to reverse the charge and then gently caress me over.

Right?

Yes.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

I figured as much. What's odd is that no specific card is mentioned.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Mister Kingdom posted:

I figured as much. What's odd is that no specific card is mentioned.

It's like a fake psychic. They leave things out so you fill in the gaps and think it was them who came up with it.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Rosalie_A posted:

It's like a fake psychic. They leave things out so you fill in the gaps and think it was them who came up with it.

A "fake" psychic? Are there "real" psychics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVdKRaxNwdU