Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I feel like I should hate this. So much about this is set up to make me hate this. But, for the most part, I'm laughing. I don't know how they pulled that off. I don't know if they can keep pulling it off for a whole movie. But I'll give it a shot. It's a clever twist on the reboot idea. And it looks loving insane. It may crash and burn, but I'll take an interesting disaster any day of the week over something like Tom & Jerry.

Colonel Whitey posted:

The CGI gag toward the end got me, they nailed that lovely uncanny valley Zemeckis look 100%. This looks like a lot of fun.

Yeah, the uncanny valley stuff at the end especially got me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

Admitted, you also loved the dig at Cats. :-P

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

thrawn527 posted:

I feel like I should hate this. So much about this is set up to make me hate this. But, for the most part, I'm laughing. I don't know how they pulled that off. I don't know if they can keep pulling it off for a whole movie. But I'll give it a shot. It's a clever twist on the reboot idea. And it looks loving insane. It may crash and burn, but I'll take an interesting disaster any day of the week over something like Tom & Jerry.

honestly yeah, and like having the two main characters in vastly different animated styles throughout the whole thing does point to the film having a certain amount of confidence compared to other affairs recently

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJwPc0MsbOQ

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ok this one actually looks good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKk5VAK1GZQ

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

That's a slick trailer for something I'd absolutely love to see at a festival.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It just dawned on me for the first time in my life of over 40 years that Alvin, Simon, Theodore, Chip and Dale are five separate animated chipmunks.

I...don't know how I didn't know this already

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

kiimo posted:

It just dawned on me for the first time in my life of over 40 years that Alvin, Simon, Theodore, Chip and Dale are five separate animated chipmunks.

I...don't know how I didn't know this already

Can't believe you left out Brittany, Jeanette, and Eleanor.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

gently caress disney, but also lol :golfclap:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

thrawn527 posted:

You know what, same. Every word. It looks like it should be garbage, and may very well be garbage, but I couldn't shake the feeling that this is just a bad trailer for a potentially fun film.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

it's true. anyone who doesn't have a twitter or facebook account definitely owns a martyrs house

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Feel like this film missed a trick by not casting Armie Hammer.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Lobok posted:

Can't believe you left out Brittany, Jeanette, and Eleanor.

There is something very wrong with whoever animated this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he-n_XCWJhw&t=6s

Pre-teen chipmunk girls dancing with snakes singing about "gettin' lucky."

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Call me dead inside, but I couldn't stand that Chipmunks trailer. Pointing something out, and then repeatedly turning to the audience and going 'Eh? Eh?!' is not a funny joke to me.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
The Cats reference really speaks to me of a shift in the way Hollywood views itself, especially in regard to its failures. A flop used to be an embarrassment, something to be covered up or forgotten about, but now films have gotten so huge and depersonalized that there's just no reason to care about a movie you're working on. So where there used to be shame, now it's just a chance for some silly self-deprecating humor, even though the incestuous nature of top billing in Hollywood movies means there's almost certainly going to be a large number of shared actors, crew, and effects designers between Cats and this rescue rangers crap. They're trying to lord their power over us, waving around their worst failures and pretending it was just some whimsical thing that didn't matter to them. Frankly, I'm not too keen on it

e: i'll give the trailer one thing though genuinely it was nice to have the trailer open with something unique and diegetic instead of trying to cram every relevant key frame in the first five seconds for the sake of youtube ad roll

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Venuz Patrol posted:

The Cats reference really speaks to me of a shift in the way Hollywood views itself, especially in regard to its failures. A flop used to be an embarrassment, something to be covered up or forgotten about, but now films have gotten so huge and depersonalized that there's just no reason to care about a movie you're working on. So where there used to be shame, now it's just a chance for some silly self-deprecating humor, even though the incestuous nature of top billing in Hollywood movies means there's almost certainly going to be a large number of shared actors, crew, and effects designers between Cats and this rescue rangers crap. They're trying to lord their power over us, waving around their worst failures and pretending it was just some whimsical thing that didn't matter to them. Frankly, I'm not too keen on it

e: i'll give the trailer one thing though genuinely it was nice to have the trailer open with something unique and diegetic instead of trying to cram every relevant key frame in the first five seconds for the sake of youtube ad roll

It was always only about the most efficient way to make the most money. They have just gotten better at exploiting irony related to how stupid and shameless hollywood is, something they were experimenting with as early as Snakes on a Plane.

To the people who fund them, movies are just a product that follows the same economic laws as detergent. There are probably movie executives who were hired directly from successful detergent companies.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Samovar posted:

Call me dead inside, but I couldn't stand that Chipmunks trailer. Pointing something out, and then repeatedly turning to the audience and going 'Eh? Eh?!' is not a funny joke to me.

:same: that looked absolutely dreadful.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I AM GRANDO posted:

To the people who fund them, movies are just a product that follows the same economic laws as detergent. There are probably movie executives who were hired directly from successful detergent companies.

Cheer has no meaning for a movie executive.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Lobok posted:

How much of this LOTR series is original? Or is it all from the Simil--... the Simuliu--... the extra stuff Tolkien wrote?

Going back a bit, but apparently none of the Rings show is legally allowed to be from the Silmarillion, though they're trying to find ways to "work around" that.

https://www.darkhorizons.com/rings-showrunners-on-their-tolkien-limits/

J.D. Payne posted:

We have the rights solely to ‘The Fellowship of the Ring,’ ‘The Two Towers,’ ‘The Return of the King,’ the appendices, and ‘The Hobbit’ and that is it. We do not have the rights to ‘The Silmarillion,’ ‘Unfinished Tales,’ ‘The History of Middle-Earth, or any of those other books.

Patrick McKay posted:

There’s a version of everything we need for the Second Age in the books we have the rights to. As long as we’re painting within those lines and not egregiously contradicting something we don’t have the rights to, there’s a lot of leeway and room to dramatize and tell some of the best stories that [Tolkien] ever came up with.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJPv2yGfFrs

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
First time I’ve ever seen a trailer that just depicts a handjob and nothing else

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

eyyyy I did some work for that movie! (creating some of the on-set digital props - email, computer screens, etc). I'm sure they'll all just get replaced anyway

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

thrawn527 posted:

Going back a bit, but apparently none of the Rings show is legally allowed to be from the Silmarillion, though they're trying to find ways to "work around" that.

This probably means they're going to stay exclusively within the Second Age, which is the stuff about how the Rings were forged and then the first war with Sauron where eventually Isildur cuts the ring off his hand as shown in the prologue of Fellowship of the Ring. I think most of that stuff comes from the Appendices of Lord of the Rings(which they have the rights to), whereas the Silmarillion mostly covers the First Age.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jewmanji posted:

First time I’ve ever seen a trailer that just depicts a handjob and nothing else
I thought you were joking

You were not

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The pop culture references in the Chipmunks movie reminded me of Ready Player One (I haven’t seen Free Guy yet) which everyone agreed came off as hollow. I wonder why (some) people are having a more positive reaction this time.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFE8ASwxmpA

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Gimme :sickos:

Way to leave a bad taste in the mouth at the end with Armisen, though.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ana de armas is so good

and ben affleck is so bad

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

ana de armas is so good

and ben affleck is so bad

You're half right.

And Ana de Armas really is so good.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

remembering and loling that her breakout role was knock knock

i'd watch her in anything

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

feedmyleg posted:

Gimme :sickos:

Way to leave a bad taste in the mouth at the end with Armisen, though.

How loving dare you.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
He can be funny, but if you want to keep liking him maybe don't look into his personal life.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://youtu.be/wBDLRvjHVOY

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I love everything in this. I mean maybe except Tom Hank's Fat Suit. But still. I love everything Baz.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Good trailer. I hate Baz though and have little hope he’ll treat the racial aspect with as much care and nuance as it demands.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

That sepia coloring for the childhood scenes is so bad lol. Elvis is a magnetic subject and I’m sure this movie will be more than competent, though.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Hopefully Lakeith Stanfield is in this as Little Richard

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

Good trailer. I hate Baz though and have little hope he’ll treat the racial aspect with as much care and nuance as it demands.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Vegetable posted:

That sepia coloring for the childhood scenes is so bad lol. Elvis is a magnetic subject and I’m sure this movie will be more than competent, though.

Well remember that trailers and movies are almost always color corrected by different people. It may be better in the theater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This could all be over in a flush