Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Atomizer posted:

I currently have the tier 8 equipped with a rammer, Vstab, and Hardening, and I was thinking of swapping out the latter for a turbo (although I'm also game with instead swapping out the rammer like you mentioned.) I'm aware that not only were these supposed to be MTs, but they were also basically just fantasy tanks with the M5Y notoriously not having the turret connected to the hull (as in, no pathway to feed ammo from one to the other.)

Yeah, I don't know why they tagged it as a heavy. I mean, the american tree already had a second heavy line with the t57. And they already had two td lines with the e3 and e4. But for mediums, there is only one, the pattons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Predictably the free offers were gaaaaaaaaaarbage!

1. T-34-3 rental for seven days: 1,5 million credits
2. 10 Improved Stabilizer directives for a bunch of bonds
3. 5 directives, 50 buchty and 10 sixth sense directives for 1,4 million credits
4. TOG II for 3,5 million credits

E: meanwhile some people are reporting getting the Astron Rex for 1 credit, so this is definitely one of those "keep hitting the reroll button for 75 000 credits a pop until you get lucky" deals.

E2: I rerolled a couple of times:

5. Mauerbrecher for 7,5 million credits
6. Mutant for 6300 gold (might get this TBH)
7. Rudy PL for 5,5 million credits

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 15, 2022

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
The credit offers are so bad.
A bond vent and 10 purge directives for 5% off, woo.
Type62 with non-BiA crew (lol) for gold.
Some bundle with natural cover directives plus sixth sense directives I laughed out.
A 250k crew xp book for 2.7mil when you can buy them anytime for 2 :confused:
Apparently there's a CrommyB and IS-2 for 5mil, everthing else is garbage.

The stuff for gold is ok, all the darlings are there but the Progetto and Bourrasque.
SU130 and Skorp are very expensive though.

Foch155 and T22 for bonds.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 15, 2022

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah Foch for 20 000 bonds (before discounts), T22 for 25 000 bonds (before discounts).

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

So I logged in, and the caravan thing doesn't start for another 12 hours or so, which makes that 2/16 for us in NA (aside from it technically still being before midnight Pacific Time though.) I'm not sure that they intended for most of NA to start a day later than every other region, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was another WG fuckup. (And the fact that they don't account for DST is another issue.)

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

I'm still playing a bit of blitz it's been pretty enjoyable.

Smashers and Annihilators suck but they've filled in a lot of good into the european/american heavies and the russian lights.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

What is this about the Foch 155 for bonds? I've wanted that tank for years but never managed to get it.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
It's one of the many deals you might be offered by the caravan event.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Ugh I don't have time for WGing random bullshit so I guess pass again

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
https://thearmoredpatrol.com/2022/02/15/trading-caravan-all-event-tanks-leaked-complete-list/#more-117366

The Type 59 for 6300g is pretty nice for those of us who never bought one and refused to pay $100 for it. 15m silver for the Kirovets-1 can gently caress *right* off.

These are from the Chinese server so no telling if EU/RU/NA/SEA get the same list.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

https://thearmoredpatrol.com/2022/02/15/trading-caravan-all-event-tanks-leaked-complete-list/#more-117366

The Type 59 for 6300g is pretty nice for those of us who never bought one and refused to pay $100 for it. 15m silver for the Kirovets-1 can gently caress *right* off.

These are from the Chinese server so no telling if EU/RU/NA/SEA get the same list.

Skills' video on the kirovets had a person point out the hull is exactly the same as the 703. Just you now have one less gun. And I think way worse gun handling to boot. So definitely a hard pass for me.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

JuffoWup posted:

Skills' video on the kirovets had a person point out the hull is exactly the same as the 703. Just you now have one less gun. And I think way worse gun handling to boot. So definitely a hard pass for me.

ShittyBaby pointed out that with a turbo the tank is quicker than most heavies but it seemed kind of like the usual "silver lining to every tank" thing that he has in his videos to encourage people to spend money and keep him in WG's good graces.

My guess is the Kirovets will be a Christmas tank.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

JuffoWup posted:

Yup it's straight from the Soviet tier 8 premium parts kit.
703 hull, IS-3 turret that some intern worked on for a few hours, and the beloved IS-5 gun with its soft stats from hell.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 16, 2022

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Don't even bother. I did manage to get the Foch offer twice, but I have nowhere near 20k bonds.

There are some truly poo poo-tastic offers polluting the list. The one that took the crown for shittiest offer was 1.4m credits for a *seven day rental* of the M41 GF. A seven day rental. For 1.4m.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

1.5 million credits for a 7 day rental for the T-103.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Don't even bother. I did manage to get the Foch offer twice, but I have nowhere near 20k bonds.

There are some truly poo poo-tastic offers polluting the list. The one that took the crown for shittiest offer was 1.4m credits for a *seven day rental* of the M41 GF. A seven day rental. For 1.4m.

Yeah, I came here to say the same thing. There was nothing remotely worthwhile; instead of just offering us things that we might actually buy, WG is loving around with this stupid little caravan game. It feels like it's worse than the black market, the auction, and that other thing with the keys or whatever.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

McGavin posted:

1.5 million credits for a 7 day rental for the T-103.

You can wait for CommanderAF code for 3 days for free.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

BIG HEADLINE posted:

ShittyBaby pointed out that with a turbo the tank is quicker than most heavies but it seemed kind of like the usual "silver lining to every tank" thing that he has in his videos to encourage people to spend money and keep him in WG's good graces.

I thing I super don't like about QB's tank reviews is that he does them with bond equipment, consumable food and all that poo poo. It's bugged me for ages because it obviously paints an overtly positive picture of the tank for like 90% of players. In this case it was especially egregious because Skill played the Kirovets with standard equipment for three games and hated the gun handling, then slapped on bond equipment and wouldn't you know it, it's actually decent.

So when QB plays the tank and says it's decent, that's super not the experience YOU'RE going to get. YOU'RE going to get the tank that hits dirt most of the time even from a few hundred meters out.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I thing I super don't like about QB's tank reviews is that he does them with bond equipment, consumable food and all that poo poo. It's bugged me for ages because it obviously paints an overtly positive picture of the tank for like 90% of players. In this case it was especially egregious because Skill played the Kirovets with standard equipment for three games and hated the gun handling, then slapped on bond equipment and wouldn't you know it, it's actually decent.

So when QB plays the tank and says it's decent, that's super not the experience YOU'RE going to get. YOU'RE going to get the tank that hits dirt most of the time even from a few hundred meters out.

Both of them have made comments about playing with the different tiers of equipment. Generally Skill, for example, plays with the bond stuff when he's trying to mark a tank but is very aware that most players aren't going to play their tanks with full sets of that equipment. I think players in general are wildly overestimating the differences between the different tiers of equipment, however.

The Kirovets-1, for example, goes from 1877 DPM to 2086 with a regular rammer, 2145 with bounty and 2170 with bond. That jump from basic to bond is less than half a second difference in reload time, but from nothing to basic it's over a second difference, which is by far a more meaningful change. You're kidding yourself if you think you can "feel" the difference (like, without the timer on screen you probably wouldn't be able to tell what the reload speed even was.) On top of that, the massive amount of randomization (i.e. dispersion on top of +/- 25% penetration and damage rolls) basically masks the effects of skills and equipment (not that those things don't have effects in the long run, like higher average damage over a long period of time, but the altered stats are well within the wide distribution of the values that aren't fixed in the first place.)

And on top of all that, both QB and Skill still use vents without acknowledging how minimal their benefits are, so please, don't pretend that either of them can "feel" the difference between regular and bond equipment over 3 battles.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Of course it makes a difference. Whether or not you can "feel" something or not is completely irrelevant when we're dealing with numbers. The difference in equipment quality can mean the difference between pushing your tank over a usable spotting distance and letting you take some other piece of equipment than Coated Optics or not. Half a second better reload can mean the difference between killing a tank you're trading with, and getting blown up. Winning the game or losing it.

Today's three free offers:
- Rudy PL for 1,5 million credits (again, it rerolled the same offer I had saved from yesterday but burned one of my free rolls)
- Some directives, this time a bunch of chocolate, some other directives for millions of credits
- ISU-122S for 5 million credits

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Where is the idea that vents are "minimal benefit" coming from? You can see just by comparing ingame that vents typically get you 50% or so of the benefit of a specific state piece of equipment, except across a bunch of different stats.

Usually the trade is something like 10 view range for a small buff to everything else, and I guess if it's a tank that really cares about aim then yes you slap an aiming system on it instead. Otherwise vents are just good allround value.

Sayara
May 10, 2009
Trading caravan temporarily unavailable, I wonder what they hosed up this time.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Of course it makes a difference. Whether or not you can "feel" something or not is completely irrelevant when we're dealing with numbers. The difference in equipment quality can mean the difference between pushing your tank over a usable spotting distance and letting you take some other piece of equipment than Coated Optics or not. Half a second better reload can mean the difference between killing a tank you're trading with, and getting blown up. Winning the game or losing it.

Equipment does make a difference, but as I illustrated the difference from nothing to basic equipment is more significant that basic to bond. You can look at the numbers yourself, but there are diminishing returns, especially considering the high price of "premium" equipment. Thus, going from basic to bond equipment doesn't magically transform a tank from bad to great.

Vando posted:

Where is the idea that vents are "minimal benefit" coming from? You can see just by comparing ingame that vents typically get you 50% or so of the benefit of a specific state piece of equipment, except across a bunch of different stats.

Usually the trade is something like 10 view range for a small buff to everything else, and I guess if it's a tank that really cares about aim then yes you slap an aiming system on it instead. Otherwise vents are just good allround value.

I've gone over this in the past, but vents provide half the nominal benefit due to the way crew skills work, and there are usually at least 3 other pieces of equipment that are specifically better choices for any tank over the "general" benefits from vents. For example, using the view range example:

https://tanks.gg/compare/obj-140?t=obj-140___a.-1.-1%7Eobj-140___1.-1.-1

Coated optics add 40 meters, which is +10% as advertised. Vents only add 10 meters, which is +2.5%, half of what you'd expect. I'd rather have 440 m VR, close to max spotting distance, than 410 (which isn't particularly more valuable than the base value) plus the other minor tweaks (again, all around 2.5%) from vents. +2.5% to anything is literally the minimal benefit, as it's the lowest any piece of equipment will change a stat. You're fooling yourself if you think that's more valuable than 3 other good pieces of equipment, e.g. rammer/optics/turbo.

If you want, we could analyze equipment on a tank-by-tank basis to prove that there are better loadouts that don't use vents.

Kungfu Trader
Aug 15, 2020

Well, that escalated quickly.
Very interesting stuff, I will have to rethink my use of vents in the future. On a side note, I have been having a great time in my T34. I forgot great a little tank it is.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Sayara posted:

Trading caravan temporarily unavailable, I wonder what they hosed up this time.

It was doing that all night yesterday, servers are getting hammered.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Motherfucker

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The only reason streamers are so high on vents is because they have max skill crews and are also running food, so they get more benefit from running vents than optics because they've already hit the max view range.

Kungfu Trader
Aug 15, 2020

Well, that escalated quickly.

McGavin posted:

The only reason streamers are so high on vents is because they have max skill crews and are also running food, so they get more benefit from running vents than optics because they've already hit the max view range.

That makes a lot of sense. I rarely use food, so my lights are always turbo, binocs, and optics. I'm sure there is a better layout, but I mostly passive scout and find good bushes to help the team.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

I mean, why would you not grift a bunch of dumb mother fuckers if you had the opportunity to do so while taking in money for other things in an already profitable game?

Can we get a campaign going to grief any and every tanker we see in battles that have any NFT poo poo on their profile?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Kungfu Trader posted:

That makes a lot of sense. I rarely use food, so my lights are always turbo, binocs, and optics. I'm sure there is a better layout, but I mostly passive scout and find good bushes to help the team.

Replace the turbo with a CVS if you're going to be a bushwanker. It's essential equipment on any light that can take it. Put it in the bonus slot. The debuff to enemy camo is massive and outweighs the benefit from additional view range from putting optics or binocs in the bonus slot. I can't understate how important a CVS is if you're playing a light tank.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Can we get a campaign going to grief any and every tanker we see in battles that have any NFT poo poo on their profile?

Makes me long for the days of friendly fire because I would shoot those motherfuckers up the second I loaded into the game if given the chance.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Makes me long for the days of friendly fire because I would shoot those motherfuckers up the second I loaded into the game if given the chance.

Can always run up behind them and push them out of cover if your tank has enough power to do it.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I think the most broken bond equipment is bond optics, it adds an additional amount of view range that a set of vents would apply.

But yeah, in general bond equipment really doesn't do anything for 99.9% of the playerbase and is just something to spend on your favorite tank to kit it out. My 60TP (And the T8 premium) and TVP are entirely purple.

And gently caress I actually updated and logged in but am 100 bonds short of 20,000 so gently caress it.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 16, 2022

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo
Stupid game got me back. I'd love an invite to PANSY, I'm Numismancer in-game, I'm US TZ.

I've got a bug up my rear end to git gud at tanks, and this thread has been hugely helpful by introducing me to Skill's work. A couple of weeks ago when I reinstalled the game after years away, I started out watching Quickybaby because I didn't know any better, and got extremely frustrated about how nothing made sense and there was no real pattern or underlying framework for how to go from yoloing to actually figuring out how to not suck so badly.

I was an oldschool beta player and apparently our Pz V/IVs are the now the most vicious warcrimes in the game after being an irrelevant garage ornament for much of its existence, so I took my bonds and decided to create Airwolf in tank mode and kitted it out completely (bond vents rammer optics, camo directive, chocolate) and proceeded to play my V/IV and only the V/IV until I figured out how maps work. I'm still not super good but between Skill, Kajzoo and Iyouxin videos I've spent way more time focused on maps and behavior rather than 'this tank good, that tank bad'.

If there's some trick to getting more crew training manuals (besides paying 2m credits) or a better way to poo poo out credits in general (I have both a Lowe and a Type 59 but I don't know if they've been rendered obsolete in the credit grind department), I'm :allears:

Edit: Should I buy the Cromwell B with BIA crew for 5m credits? It looked like a decent trading post offer, especially with the free BiA crew. I last played in an era before crew training manuals so the idea of a crew that's been ground up for me lights up my brain.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Numismancer posted:

Should I buy the Cromwell B with BIA crew for 5m credits? It looked like a decent trading post offer, especially with the free BiA crew. I last played in an era before crew training manuals so the idea of a crew that's been ground up for me lights up my brain.
I'd consider that a steal.

Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I'd consider that a steal.

Thanks, consider it stolen. It looks like it'll handle pretty drat similarly to the V/IV, so I can play them in tandem and keep roughly the same learning groove.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Having beta-testing flashbacks to people in chat spamming "What is Lowe? Baby don't hurt me" nonsense in all chat during random match countdowns and as tanks got blown up more people would "sing" in chat.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Numismancer posted:

Stupid game got me back. I'd love an invite to PANSY, I'm Numismancer in-game, I'm US TZ.

I've got a bug up my rear end to git gud at tanks, and this thread has been hugely helpful by introducing me to Skill's work. A couple of weeks ago when I reinstalled the game after years away, I started out watching Quickybaby because I didn't know any better, and got extremely frustrated about how nothing made sense and there was no real pattern or underlying framework for how to go from yoloing to actually figuring out how to not suck so badly.

I was an oldschool beta player and apparently our Pz V/IVs are the now the most vicious warcrimes in the game after being an irrelevant garage ornament for much of its existence, so I took my bonds and decided to create Airwolf in tank mode and kitted it out completely (bond vents rammer optics, camo directive, chocolate) and proceeded to play my V/IV and only the V/IV until I figured out how maps work. I'm still not super good but between Skill, Kajzoo and Iyouxin videos I've spent way more time focused on maps and behavior rather than 'this tank good, that tank bad'.

If there's some trick to getting more crew training manuals (besides paying 2m credits) or a better way to poo poo out credits in general (I have both a Lowe and a Type 59 but I don't know if they've been rendered obsolete in the credit grind department), I'm :allears:

Edit: Should I buy the Cromwell B with BIA crew for 5m credits? It looked like a decent trading post offer, especially with the free BiA crew. I last played in an era before crew training manuals so the idea of a crew that's been ground up for me lights up my brain.

The best thing to keep in mind about WoT in TYOOL 2022 is "don't care about winning."

There are so many alternative goals than winning the damned game now that the only thing you can do is platoon with clanmates and friends so it's 3v27 and not 1v29, because your teammates *and* the enemy team are both your adversaries.

And yeah, the value of the Cromwell B is that zero-skill BiA crew - similarly, the Centurion Action X is also not a terrible medium to grind towards.

The Lowe also got a buff a while back - it can no longer be set on fire from the front, and the gun is one of the best one accuracy-wise of any premium heavy.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

And now my watch is ended:

Only took me over a decade to finally get one. It probably took ~1m in silver to finally get the offer.

Oh, and if you do get a single credit offer, buy it even if you really don't need it, as it gets you a free refresh.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

And now my watch is ended:

Only took me over a decade to finally get one. It probably took ~1m in silver to finally get the offer.

pop a credit booster or two and youll have your 1m back in under 10 games in the type 59.