Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Erebus posted:

The difference is (as in your examples) it used to be nostalgia for a time period. Now it's way more "remember this specific thing you liked when you were a kid well it's back."

In the 70s they made movies about the 50s. They didn't shoot a reboot of Mister Peepers.

Technically they just brought the show back. Like that is how nickolodeon sold itself it licensed products the parents watched as kids so they would watch it.

Shockingly the trends only changed in relation to what you can do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Waffleman_ posted:

They brought The Wonder Years back last year, but they realized that they couldn't set it 20 years in the past like the original because then it'd be in 2001 and that would be weird, so they wussed out and did the 60s again.

To be fair, there were almost literally no Black people in the original series, so there are still a lot of stories to tell.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Erebus posted:

The difference is (as in your examples) it used to be nostalgia for a time period. Now it's way more "remember this specific thing you liked when you were a kid well it's back."

In the 70s they made movies about the 50s. They didn't shoot a reboot of Mister Peepers.

I guarantee you we will get something like Stranger Things but for the 90s pretty soon.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
John Mulaney should play Howard The Duck.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
https://twitter.com/1000TimesYes/status/1493680714109227009

https://twitter.com/1000TimesYes/status/1493682688376520710

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Poster thread: hates it, nostalgia is for plebes

Trailer thread: um am I going to see a Chip and Dale movie? Looks great

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The CG surgery thing is a funny joke for like a sketch but it just feels weird for an entire movie, especially when you have to present the characters out of the context of that joke

I will say the animation on....Chip? The one that's 2D, is pretty alright.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

That's actually looks like it's 3D animated too. Just cell-shaded.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

kiimo posted:

Poster thread: hates it, nostalgia is for plebes

Trailer thread: um am I going to see a Chip and Dale movie? Looks great

I mean most of Twitter is trying to own someone while the vast majority of people don’t really care about it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, but it's pretty nice cel shading.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Nihonniboku posted:

This sort of thing has been going on for decades. In the 70s they were nostalgic for the 1950s, hence American Graffiti, Happy Days, and Grease. In the 80s they were nostalgic for the 60s, hence stuff like The Wonder Years. In the 90s they were nostalgic for the 70s, hence That 70s Show. Last decade we started to get a lot of nostalgia for the 1980s, and now that elder Millenials are reaching places of creative control, you're getting a lot of 90s nostalgia. Chip and Dale, we're getting a Hocus Pocus sequel in October.

I have a whole rant about this. Although there's definitely an n+25 nostalgia echo for specific IP like Rugrats or Power Rangers, the generational nostalgia things you're talking about seem like they're about something else.

80's nostalgia is still going pretty strong after more than a decade, just as 50's nostalgia was still a big deal well through the late 70's and 80's, and I think it all has to do with populist social conservatism following economic uncertainty. A common feature of nostalgia bait about the 80's is the sort of idyllic "simple suburban life" at the center of it, Stranger Things or It or The Goldbergs or whatever. "Remember when kids could be kids and life was innocent," all these half-remembered associations of Reagan-era family values conservatism.

The actual 80's worked the same way. There was a mass-popular taste for "a simpler time" that latched onto the idyllic suburban associations of the postwar 50's as some counterpoint to the social and economic unrest people recalled of the late 60's through 70's. "Remember when life was simpler and more innocent." Before the 70's recession, or Vietnam, or the War on Drugs, etc. etc.

But the thing is, it isn't cyclical in the sense it recurs every X decades. The 50's and early 60's also birthed media about how people yearned for "a simpler time," but the immediate prior decades were full of World Wars, the Stock Market Crash, the Great Depression, etc. People looked back more than 50 years, before their current lifetimes, to the Gilded Age as the go-to period of prosperity and tranquility. Disneyland's Main Street USA (which opened in 1955) was an idyllic portrayal of Americana circa ~1900. Lots of media, like Twilight Zone, harped on the idea that something wholesome and simple about life in the Gay 90's has now been lost.

Obviously, the truth of life during these periods doesn't matter, but there's something decidedly political about what period associations resonate in the historical memory of previous generations.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean most of Twitter is trying to own someone while the vast majority of people don’t really care about it

Data point of one, but I have a close friend with kids in this tween age group (maybe C&D is aiming even younger, but I don't think so). Leaving video games aside, the media that they choose to consume for themselves is often stranger, queerer, and more adventurous than anything offered in these kids movies. Meanwhile, a lot of mainstream kids movie feel like they're meant for he and me to stoned to for a fun nostalgia hit; the kids are decidedly not interested. On the other hand, they were all in when he tried to share Spirited Away or Avatar with them.

Like literally what kid in 2022 is interested in Chip and Dale? And what of what's being promised here is supposed to get them on board?

EDIT: I mean yeah, no one's really rending their shirts about it. Film Twitter is as much a poo poo post factory as this page.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I never understand why the marketing people put songs in trailers that they have to censor multiple times like that

Just pick something else maybe?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

FlamingLiberal posted:

I never understand why the marketing people put songs in trailers that they have to censor multiple times like that

Just pick something else maybe?

Stood out to me too, it's a real weird choice.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
After the surgery, everything of Dales became 3D. Despite that, he unfortunately continued to not wear pants.

(if I hear one god-damned person start yapping that's Dale's a chipmunk, and that's a squirrel, I swear to god, I will starting crying so hard.)

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Gripweed posted:

I guarantee you we will get something like Stranger Things but for the 90s pretty soon.

It was Fear Street 1994

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I feel like the 80s nostalgia was accelerated a bit by the Wedding Singer coming out in '98 and taking place in '85. It's also what made "You Spin Me Round" the song to use if you want the audience to immediately know that it's the 80s.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Weird that Coleen O'Shaughnessey doesn't get a credit despite Tails being on the poster

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
She's not really someone with enough clout to demand topline billing in her contract.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

She's not really someone with enough clout to demand topline billing in her contract.

Makes sense, I just hope that’s not a bad omen in regards to how much focus Tails will be getting in the new movie

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean, they didn't even credit the guy who played Sonic on the poster for the first movie. It's just Hollywood in general not respecting voice actors.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean, they didn't even credit the guy who played Sonic on the poster for the first movie. It's just Hollywood in general not respecting voice actors.

Fair point

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Larryb posted:

Weird that Coleen O'Shaughnessey doesn't get a credit despite Tails being on the poster

Tika Sumpter's face is on the poster and that's still not enough.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

live with fruit posted:

Tika Sumpter's face is on the poster and that's still not enough.

Actually she’s credited at the very bottom, Coleen doesn’t even get that much despite playing one of the main characters

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

No ri-oh, wait

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

No ri-oh, wait

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Glad to see the Sonic Cinematic Universe is coming along nicely.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Larryb posted:

Actually she’s credited at the very bottom, Coleen doesn’t even get that much despite playing one of the main characters

Actually, yeah, her not getting a credit in the text block is kinda wierd. But then the guy who plays agent stone isn't there either.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

There's kids out there who know Sonic the Hedgehog exclusively from the film and have no idea there even are videogames.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

FreudianSlippers posted:

There's kids out there who know Sonic the Hedgehog exclusively from the film and have no idea there even are videogames.

We've come a long way from the 90s, when kids knew Sonic the Hedgehog exclusively from the cartoons.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Idris Elba in Time 2 Punch in

Feel bad for anyone who didn't see him in Time 1 Punch in

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Guardians of the Galaxy franchise really kicking itself for not jumping on all these Quill puns.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

A couple important announcements,

https://twitter.com/FantasticBeasts/status/1496145360858853384?t=RS4T5pbPoQHjkKTaA_hM-w&s=19

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And LeBron James is Gwongi.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

https://twitter.com/earthmanbuck/st...ingawful.com%2F

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/ThaumPenguin/status/1496211200400629764?s=20&t=En1e5BOdf2rTlDhEoe2JSQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Everything about those Fantastic Beasts movies is a mess but them hastily making up a new universe name; and then not even using it for the movies is funny.

Wizarding World: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Wizarding World: The Crimes of Grindelwald
Wizarding World: The Secrets of Dumbledore

Like those ain't exactly stellar titles but they at least make sense.