Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PIZZA.BAT)

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

haveblue posted:

vr for entertainment is so cool

facebook literally removed the entertainment

A few years back I was considering buying an occulus if games that interested me started coming out, then facebook bought it and lol no way was I buying any hardware that they make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

excellent use of lifetimes of science and research getting to this end point

anyway this morning my car battery struggled a bit and then after 15min motorway driving i stopped to drop off kid and car wouldn’t start

flat battery
charged for less than a minute with a pathetic charger and is started easily

so .. takes charge easily.. is the battery hosed? yes. is the alternator maybe bad if it can’t charge the battery but battery charger could do in a minute???

like what does this point to?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

if you're able to jump start and continue driving, the alternator should still be good since it's running all your car's electronics. you can bring your car to an autozone or wherever, they test you out for freeeee

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
It's the alternator.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
it could be the battery is so bogged it wont take a charge too.

idk if they do this where you're at Echi but most auto parts stores around here will test it for you for free so then they can sell you the part you need. there's ways of figuring it out yourself fairly easily but you're gonna have to either buy a new battery or alternator anyway so might as well have them test it there

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

echinopsis posted:

excellent use of lifetimes of science and research getting to this end point

anyway this morning my car battery struggled a bit and then after 15min motorway driving i stopped to drop off kid and car wouldn’t start

flat battery
charged for less than a minute with a pathetic charger and is started easily

so .. takes charge easily.. is the battery hosed? yes. is the alternator maybe bad if it can’t charge the battery but battery charger could do in a minute???

like what does this point to?

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/6988277033168096517

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

Jonny 290 posted:

It's the alternator.

yeah seems like it. it will have hosed the battery though :/

car is 2008 but only 50k kms / 31k miles so it’s a slight odd combo of a bit older but not much wear so some stuff is failing due to age not wear

thanks peeps

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Ah, you have hot-keys set up.
lmao

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

sign me up

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

haveblue posted:

vr for entertainment is so cool

facebook literally removed the entertainment

mark zuckerberg, facebook/meta, its executives, and everyone else in a position of power in any major tech company are all so braindead that the only vr application that excites them -- or perhaps the only application they can even imagine -- is having a meeting in a conference room. it's still just a table in a room but now there's a CG mars out the window and some of the people have funny hats on.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

NoneMoreNegative posted:

( Sign in front of James Joyce's historical home )

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Ah, you have hot-keys set up.

I feel like this website has gotten noticeably funnier after lowtax died.
Like, not even after the change in ownership, but after his death specifically.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

still just a table in a room but now there's a CG mars out the window and some of the people have funny hats on.

nail on the head lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

lol

car is 2008 but only 50k kms / 31k miles so it’s a slight odd combo of a bit older but not much wear so some stuff is failing due to age not wear

thanks peeps

that's not necessarily true. The fact that it started and ran even enough to get you home indicates that it took some charge. I mean, the battery may have had a few months shaved off its life, but evidence indicates that you at worst gave it a really bad papercut, not a sucking chest wound

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

echinopsis posted:

lol

thanks peeps

go to anywhere that sells car batteries (except liek kmart or the warehouse) and they can check for free and u can buy one. look at the sticker on ur battery its probably old as gently caress, they only last 6 years or something. u can try checking with a multimeter i think it's hosed if its under a certain voltage. sounds liek ur alternator runs "enough" imo

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

It's the alternator.

if you have a multimeter (youre meter is a piece of poo poo), stick them shits in a power port/cigar lighter socket. it should read ~12v with engine off and ~14v with the 'nater spinning

unless some uzbeks have moved into your neighborhood recently

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Lake of Methane posted:

:argh: my battery fluid!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Lake of Methane posted:

if you have a multimeter (youre meter is a piece of poo poo), stick them shits in a power port/cigar lighter socket. it should read ~12v with engine off and ~14v with the 'nater spinning

this, op

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
though...mine reads 13.9 with engine off

with my 10w trickle charge solar panel plugged in

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Lake of Methane posted:

!!!

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
don't give them money or matches

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
do not offer them matches

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
there’s an auto mechanic over the road from the pharmacy so I just threw it at him. probably the expensive option but I don’t mind supporting the locals

Jonny 290 posted:

that's not necessarily true. The fact that it started and ran even enough to get you home indicates that it took some charge. I mean, the battery may have had a few months shaved off its life, but evidence indicates that you at worst gave it a really bad papercut, not a sucking chest wound

hmm interesting

if a
battery is totally hosed will it be a liability to the car running at all?

bobbilljim posted:

. sounds liek ur alternator runs "enough" imo

what gives impression it runs “enough”? 🤔

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

echinopsis posted:

there’s an auto mechanic over the road from the pharmacy so I just threw it at him. probably the expensive option but I don’t mind supporting the locals

hmm interesting

if a

what gives impression it runs “enough”? 🤔

well if it was totally rooted it would have died or started fading out real bad while you were driving. if it's a bad battery it's more likely to be that you turn it off and cant start it again

like you can run a really clapped out battery or almost no battery as long as the engine is running

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

echinopsis posted:

hmm interesting

if a

Negative. It can't hurt your car. Unless you like, lose engine power at 75mph - or 184kmh whatever it works out to - and you can't muscle it over to the shoulder without power steering or w/e.

The most common failure mode of a lead-acid battery is cell reversal, where one of the six 2v (nominal) cells is no longer providing 2v and is basically a short circuit between the adjacent cells. You'll see this on some batteries that will charge to "12.6v" or whatever but as soon as you draw any current through them they basically bounce down to like 10.8v instantly. that's a dead cell and due to their build nature is usually fatal.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

one nice thing about lead-acid car batteries is that they're like 90% recyclable, all that lead gets reclaimed

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
yeah i am also 100% on team "ill get into VR once there's something compelling that isnt facebook"

there's no way im giving them even more data than they manage to scrape

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

id buy that valve index thing if i had a bunch of money i needed to spend but eh

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

there's always gonna be something I'd rather spend 5k on

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

alyx is extremely compelling. it's not "buy a VR headset just for this" compelling, but definitely a worthwhile experience that made me accept that VR isn't purely a gimmick this time around. there is definitely something there.

unfortunately the best headset on the market by far is the facebook one.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

https://i.imgur.com/tbgx1NR.mp4

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

The Varjo Aero VR headset is nice if you have too much money and you're into racing or flight sims

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAvcxeXtBz0

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

rotor posted:

one nice thing about lead-acid car batteries is that they're like 90% recyclable, all that lead gets reclaimed

Indeed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afwO_MZjRjA

(the other 10% of the lead is breathed in)

edit: this is the one I was looking for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l665eovBlEk

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 18, 2022

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

unfortunately the best headset on the market by far is the facebook one.

you sure? i’ve heard good things about the HP flagship helmet

Jonny 290 posted:

Negative. It can't hurt your car. Unless you like, lose engine power at 75mph - or 184kmh whatever it works out to - and you can't muscle it over to the shoulder without power steering or w/e.

The most common failure mode of a lead-acid battery is cell reversal, where one of the six 2v (nominal) cells is no longer providing 2v and is basically a short circuit between the adjacent cells. You'll see this on some batteries that will charge to "12.6v" or whatever but as soon as you draw any current through them they basically bounce down to like 10.8v instantly. that's a dead cell and due to their build nature is usually fatal.

righto

well the auto dude didn’t charge me for testing and he said alternator fine, battery at 70% whatever that means. just in market for a new battery. love it lol

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

minato posted:

Q: Why does this keyboard have a power pack?

A:
"It's a perfectly normal boring keyboard, except for the minor fact that IT'S HEATED"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

you sure? i’ve heard good things about the HP flagship helmet

The HP headset has the best resolution, but that isn't the only factor. You should also at least consider tracking quality, controller quality, and convenience of setup. And cost.

The best headset overall is probably the Index, or whatever the current fanciest valve headset is. It has high resolution, great controllers, and the smoothest tracking. It also costs like $1,200 all in, plus the price of a computer that's good enough to drive it, plus the tracking system requires that you mount the lighthouse units in the corners of your room, plus it takes three or four cables on your computer. It's a whole thing.

The HP headset has better resolution, but the windows mixed reality tracking is mediocre and the controllers are just so-so. It doesn't require lighthouses but the tracking suffers as a result. Still needs to be cabled to a computer. 500 or $600 I think?

The quest 2 has the highest resolution after the HP headset, its tracking doesn't require lighthouses, is not quite as good as valve's but still really good and significantly better than WMR, its controllers are my personal favorite design, and it plugs into your computer with a single USB cable or it can even work wirelessly if you have a fast router. It can also run games completely independently so you don't need a computer at all (though stuff like Alyx isn't on the quest store obviously). And it costs like 300 bucks or something. It's unquestionably the best option for anyone who isn't 100% committed and ready to deal with an Index. The only problem is that it's Facebook

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 18, 2022

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

The HP headset has the best resolution, but that isn't the only factor. You should also at least consider tracking quality, controller quality, and convenience of setup. And cost.

The best headset overall is probably the Index, or whatever the current fanciest valve headset is. It has high resolution, great controllers, and the smoothest tracking. It also costs like $1,200 all in, plus the price of a computer that's good enough to drive it, plus the tracking system requires that you mount the lighthouse units in the corners of your room, plus it takes three or four cables on your computer. It's a whole thing.

The HP headset has better resolution, but the windows mixed reality tracking is mediocre and the controllers are just so-so. It doesn't require lighthouses but the tracking suffers as a result. Still needs to be cabled to a computer. 500 or $600 I think?

The quest 2 has the highest resolution after the HP headset, its tracking doesn't require lighthouses, is not quite as good as valve's but still really good and significantly better than WMR, its controllers are my personal favorite design, and it plugs into your computer with a single USB cable or it can even work wirelessly if you have a fast router. It can also run games completely independently so you don't need a computer at all (though stuff like Alyx isn't on the quest store obviously). And it costs like 300 bucks or something. It's unquestionably the best option for anyone who isn't 100% committed and ready to deal with an Index. The only problem is that it's Facebook

aah right

i’ve used the the quest that required being plugged into usb and graphics card and I was always happy with tracking and controllers so I suppose if they were worse it would really ruin the experience.

thanks for the outline

my ex wife got the quest and i asked to borrow it but of course that’d mean logging into her facebook and of course that’s never happening so .. can’t loan it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

omg

rotor posted:

there's always gonna be something I'd rather spend 5k on

i feel the same way. even if my desktop can handle vr, the extra expense just to play nms in goggles isn't enough. nothing else o play regularly has vr support so it'd have to be one heck of an experience

at this point running anything at 1440p with dlss looks like magic, i'm gonna enjoy that for as long as i can