Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i found the first episode incredibly funny but every episode that followed was so boring i used the show as a sleeping aid for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I mostly stuck to the WN translations. And yeah, there's not much rewards from PVPing alone. In both the leveling areas and the endgame realm, it's more about fighting to claim PVE content to exploit, usually in the form of a rare spawn and stuff.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

reincarnated heavy knight is basically the word cliche repeated over and over in lieu of a story. however, once the poopsocker mc hooks up with his partner it started to become rather charming. the dude is all wrapped up in optimal leveling strats and has absolutely no idea that he has a gf.

If anyone else is still reading this, there's now a manga version as well.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Oh, nice, someone actually went and translated The Girl Called Hero and Monster's LN. The old WN tl died a little over halfway.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Its Rinaldo posted:

In Forge of Destiny news the thread took a chance being greedy in the dream realm and the dice roll went awry and things got kiiiiiiinda bad

How bad? Half the cast dead? Main character crippled? Placed into a coma, wake up decades later to find their kung fu school reduced to ashes?

I've been meaning to read the polished up version on Amazon, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Most of my FoD knowledge comes secondhand from friends chatting about it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

avoraciopoctules posted:

How bad? Half the cast dead? Main character crippled? Placed into a coma, wake up decades later to find their kung fu school reduced to ashes?

I've been meaning to read the polished up version on Amazon, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Most of my FoD knowledge comes secondhand from friends chatting about it.

Is the amazon version more polished than the RR version?

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Oh, nice, someone actually went and translated The Girl Called Hero and Monster's LN. The old WN tl died a little over halfway.

Thanks for this, I had read some of the WN but it'll be good to have the whole story. I've really enjoyed that author's works.

I guess that only leaves The Girl Who Fell from the Polar Star to be translated.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

avoraciopoctules posted:

There may be a mild injury and some characters might be sad for a while. Possibly a lifeline got burnt. I really don’t feel like it’s going to be that bad.

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Even if it's relatively smaller bigger numbers, a loss might have a pretty interesting effect on the way the voters approach things. Always nice to have stakes that matter. Still, I think I'll probably focus on other serials for the moment. Thanks for the update on what's going on!

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

There may be a mild injury and some characters might be sad for a while. Possibly a lifeline got burnt. I really don’t feel like it’s going to be that bad.

People in the thread spent a bunch of fanart points before the roll to boost the bonus to it, so it ended up being like 2 degrees of failure rather than like 4. So yeah it ended up much less bad than it could've.

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

In the grand scheme of things, yeah, it could have been worse, but it was pretty unequivocally a massive loss from a pointless risk - voters kept getting distracted and pushing their luck trying to win prizes that didn't exist the kid ghost was never going to be real enough to bind, and it blew up in their faces. Most of the reason for the subplot with taking Su Ling into the dream was to help her decide her path for cultivation forward - having a massive chunk of her meridians permanently locked in place via the weapon she shattered means that's probably no longer up for argument for multiple reasons and I think she's likely going to be sans tails the next time she appears (to the dismay of the same voting contingent that had been pushing to keep them).

Also Ling Qi's flute is now a few splinters that were pulled out of her ribcage, which is a pretty big deal even if narratively it'll obviously be replaced ASAP.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Myriad Truths posted:

Thanks for this, I had read some of the WN but it'll be good to have the whole story. I've really enjoyed that author's works.

I guess that only leaves The Girl Who Fell from the Polar Star to be translated.

There's actually two other WNs that are 0% translated, for obvious reasons I don't know if they're in the same world or not.

I really hope someone licenses Matari's stuff some day.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Hey everyone, I'm trying to plan out a portfolio project and am going to make a WordPress theme optimized for ebooks and web novels.

Other than making the default display readable, display setting customization, and a functional table of contents, is there anything you wish that more web novel sites had, or made easier from a reader's perspective?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm probably an outlier in that i mostly read webnovels in reading mode on a kindle. so, having chapter controls at both the top and bottom is surprisingly important to me.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Paladin posted:

Hey everyone, I'm trying to plan out a portfolio project and am going to make a WordPress theme optimized for ebooks and web novels.

Other than making the default display readable, display setting customization, and a functional table of contents, is there anything you wish that more web novel sites had, or made easier from a reader's perspective?

A working Next Chapter link.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'm probably an outlier in that i mostly read webnovels in reading mode on a kindle. so, having chapter controls at both the top and bottom is surprisingly important to me.

Same

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Paladin posted:

Being able to go to the next chapter from the top or bottom of the chapter. Having a third next chapter link after all the comments would be keen as well.

A way to change the background and text colors to "night mode" (black background white text). I do a huge amount of reading in bed before going to sleep and having a black background is hugely important.

Being able to pick font size is nice (I think I prefer reading font significantly larger than most default font sizes). A +/- font size button is all I want, I don't need or even really want to pick font size directly.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
An easily accessible table of novels and easily accessible table of contents for them. A submission script that correctly updates the table of contents and the chapter links in previous chapters when you publish a new one so the table of contents stays easily accessible and accurate

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Paladin posted:

A way to download an e-reader version.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Yeah automatic support for the various readers is a big thing. RSS, download in ePub, functionality in browsers other than chrome. In particular Safari/Firefox/Opera have reader mode.

If a story doesn’t work in my preferred reader? I read something else. Also de emphasize ads. I am way more likely to pay a tip jar that says calmly “hey I work for tips and I didn’t spam you with ads, please chuck me a coffee.” Than keep coming back to a site with ad spam. If you must include them, stick them at the bottom under the comments.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Royal road pretty much does it exactly how I want other than an ebook download option lol

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Larry Parrish posted:

Royal road pretty much does it exactly how I want other than an ebook download option lol

And there's a plugin for that, yeah.

Good luck with using this project to build skills, but I can't think of anything that Royalroad doesn't already do.

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

Megazver posted:

And there's a plugin for that, yeah.

Good luck with using this project to build skills, but I can't think of anything that Royalroad doesn't already do.

Ability to cache the next X chapters in local storage because you're going on a plane / subway

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Nick Buntline posted:

In the grand scheme of things, yeah, it could have been worse, but it was pretty unequivocally a massive loss from a pointless risk - voters kept getting distracted and pushing their luck trying to win prizes that didn't exist the kid ghost was never going to be real enough to bind, and it blew up in their faces. Most of the reason for the subplot with taking Su Ling into the dream was to help her decide her path for cultivation forward - having a massive chunk of her meridians permanently locked in place via the weapon she shattered means that's probably no longer up for argument for multiple reasons and I think she's likely going to be sans tails the next time she appears (to the dismay of the same voting contingent that had been pushing to keep them).

Also Ling Qi's flute is now a few splinters that were pulled out of her ribcage, which is a pretty big deal even if narratively it'll obviously be replaced ASAP.

I wish Yrsillar had dropped the hammer even more just to bring home the stakes of loving around with spirit poo poo and pushing your luck

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 20, 2022

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Megazver posted:

Thanks, and yeah that's the plan. I expect this to have zero practical value but it seems like a good way to learn the backend of WordPress better.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

made the mistake of looking at novelupdates

A) Wow the baseline level of comprehensibility is just poorly-cleaned up machine translation
and
B) wow they censor slaves as 's*aves' now, what a half-assed measure

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
jesus s*aves

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Tunicate posted:

made the mistake of looking at novelupdates

A) Wow the baseline level of comprehensibility is just poorly-cleaned up machine translation
and

That's been in place for at least a year now and lol I don't know why it's there either.

Novelupdates is good for looking up random novels but it's not great for finding anything you actually want to read.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Tunicate posted:

NU claims that was requested by advertisers.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

StrixNebulosa posted:

That's been in place for at least a year now and lol I don't know why it's there either.

Novelupdates is good for looking up random novels but it's not great for finding anything you actually want to read.

I only ever use it when I run out of manga chapters to read and want to see if anyone is actively translating the WN/LN. It's basically useless for anything else.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

It's useful for letting me make a big list of poo poo I'm reading and then giving me one single rss feed for updates on them. I'd never manage to keep track of all this poo poo otherwise.

Actual discovery, I mean if you go fishing in that sea you deserve what you get lmao

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Tunicate posted:

recommended: s*aves

would post the penny arcade about "what is a stave" but nah

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I’m finally reading The Legend of the Condor Heroes and it is really good and owns a lot. The start was slow but now that Guo Jing is out doing stuff I’m hooked.

I was reminded that it’s supposed to have been massively influential on Chinese webnovels, among other things. What are some good wuxia web serials people have read?

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

reverend insanity was cancelled but it still has 2000+ chapters

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Isn't reverend insanity xianxia? I was hoping for more of a classic wuxia vibe.

Speaking of 2000 chapter xianxia though, I finished my yearly CCG reread and it's still good. I think comedy is a good fit for the super long, drawn-out xianxia webnovel structure, because even if a chapter is mostly boring, a single unexpected joke or callback that hits well can save it.

I will be mad if it winds up with a harem ending, though. I know the webnovel is complete; does anyone know how many chapters there are, exactly?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

nrook posted:

Isn't reverend insanity xianxia? I was hoping for more of a classic wuxia vibe.

Speaking of 2000 chapter xianxia though, I finished my yearly CCG reread and it's still good. I think comedy is a good fit for the super long, drawn-out xianxia webnovel structure, because even if a chapter is mostly boring, a single unexpected joke or callback that hits well can save it.

I will be mad if it winds up with a harem ending, though. I know the webnovel is complete; does anyone know how many chapters there are, exactly?

You can usually check on novelupdates:

https://www.novelupdates.com/series/cultivation-chat-group/

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
oh man I had no idea CCG was complete, that'll be fun to binge whenever the translation's done

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

oh man I had no idea CCG was complete, that'll be fun to binge whenever the translation's done

That's going to be in about four years at the current rate.

The author wrote and finished an entire new webnovel since then. (That one's shorter at 300 chapters, though.)

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Megazver posted:

That's going to be in about four years at the current rate.

The author wrote and finished an entire new webnovel since then. (That one's shorter at 300 chapters, though.)

Wait is there an actual translation of ccg being worked on somewhere

Or is the mtl somehow years behind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

nrook posted:

I’m finally reading The Legend of the Condor Heroes and it is really good and owns a lot. The start was slow but now that Guo Jing is out doing stuff I’m hooked.

I was reminded that it’s supposed to have been massively influential on Chinese webnovels, among other things. What are some good wuxia web serials people have read?

The other two Jin Yong books to absolutely read are The Smiling Proud Wanderer and Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils. Something like 3/4 of the wuxia cliches can be traced back to those three books.

Or if you want to go old-school, check out the Water Margin.