Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I'm excited to see it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant

:hmmorks: :orks:

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Also, it's time to vote for the categories!

Biggest 'wow actually this is rad' surpriser

Best original song

Most pedantic nitpick

Rowdiest fight scene

Best Deus Ex Machina

awesome spring sig by RavenousScoot

BoldFrankensteinMir

Thank you to everybody who has voted so far, I'm going to leave it open one more day and then it's time to nominate and vote for movies! Woohoo!

Sig by Heather Papps

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
I've missed a lot of these movie nights due to work but here's my vote 😌

-The Sen. Joseph McCarthy Award for Excellence in Unamerican Thought
-Worst Movie
-Best Movie
-Coolest Animal
-Best original song

baka of lathspell

best deus ex machina

biggest gap between conception & execution

most inexplicably fascinating

the Sen. Joseph McCarthy Award for Excellence in Unamerican THought

i'm stranded on a deserted island and this is the only movie available but its still bad

join dork order
sig by ??? (<3 u)

Prof. Crocodile

Viginti Septem posted:

I've missed a lot of these movie nights due to work but here's my vote 😌

-The Sen. Joseph McCarthy Award for Excellence in Unamerican Thought
-Worst Movie
-Best Movie
-Coolest Animal
-Best original song

I like these categories as well

Prof. Crocodile

also: does Unico count as an animal for the purposes of voting?

Heather Papps

hello friend

i did my thinking

shittiest kid
the sen. joseph mccarthy award for excellence in unamerican thought
biggest 'wow actually this is rad' surpriser
rowdiest fight scene
most pedantic nitpick

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

BoldFrankensteinMir

Prof. Crocodile posted:

also: does Unico count as an animal for the purposes of voting?

Definitely yes.

Sig by Heather Papps

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

THIS WEEK ON bWo:

Nothing! Enjoy the Valentine's Day marathon, and I'll see you on Monday Feb 21!

BoldFrankensteinMir

You rock sk, thanks again for everything you do!

Sig by Heather Papps

BoldFrankensteinMir

:siren: We have our categories! :siren:

The first annual Coupons & Deals Movie Nite Awards will announce winners of:

Biggest 'Wow Actually This is Rad' Surpriser (Six votes)

The Sen. Joseph McCarthy Award for Excellence in Unamerican Thought (Six Votes)

Best Original Song (Five Votes)

Coolest Animal (Four votes)

Rowdiest Fight Scene (Four votes)

Everyone please pick 3-5 films from HP's list of films we watched in 2021 for each category, and the most frequently nominated films will win! Voting lasts until February 23rd so you have time to think about it, and we should definitely discuss which movies we remember most!

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 13, 2022

Sig by Heather Papps

Heather Papps

hello friend

i'm going to edit this post later but my vote for best song is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGwQU0xiC0M

e: best animal is unico

Prof. Crocodile

3-5 from each category holy cow...

Biggest 'Wow Actually This is Rad' Surpriser - Carts of Darkness, Unico :unsmith:, One Cut of the Dead

The Sen. Joseph McCarthy Award for Excellence in Unamerican Thought - Carol for Another Christmas, I Shot Andy Warhol, Seder Masochism

Best Original Song - Always Look on the Bright Side of Life from The Life of Brian, Hot Patootie from Rocky Horror Picture Show, the "I am a cat" song from Unico

Coolest Animal - Unico :unsmith:

Rowdiest Fight Scene - The multiple spider-man fight from 3 Dev Adam, that really long park fight from The Skid Kid, pretty much all of Dr. Satan (that Copperhead sure could jump from balconies and do double kicks)

Leraika

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
"wow actually this is rad":
Unico (I had not actually seen Unico before I suggested it, whoops)
We watched 32 Short Films About Glenn Gould, right? I remember really enjoying that. edit: I can't see the time that we watched it but it was mentioned before Sherman's March
Jackie Chan: My Stunts, My Story
Lost World of the Medusa
The Point

The Sen. Joseph McCarthy Award for Excellence in Unamerican Thought:
Skid Kid (the FBI are made incompetent by a pair of boots and a small child)
A Dog For Christmas (a scathing satire of modern WASP Americana, or merely a terrible, terrible movie? It's a crime either way!)
The Night They Saved Christmas (a man chooses Christmas and his family over the siren song of oil, like a commie)
Notorious (both for how it got Hitchcock in real trouble with the FBI, apparently, and also got one hell of a kiss past the censors)

Rowdiest Fight Scene:
Fatal Deviation
okay fine if I have to nominate something that isn't fatal deviation: Master of the Flying Guillotine

Best Original Song:
Can I just nominate the entire soundtrack of Double King? that's like... one song, isn't it?
Brain Candy sure had a great soundtrack too.
Katy's Cat Song from Unico, of course

Coolest Animal:
Unico
Theodore Rex (it sure is a dog of a movie,. hahahahahahahahaha) (sorry, I felt I needed to nominate it for something just so we may never forget)
the fox from The Tale of the Fox
That cat from the Chernobyl documentary who just wanted to protect her kittens ;_;

Buttchocks

Crap, i barely remember most of these. I might have to wait for people to nominate a few before I vote.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Valentine's Day marathon has begun! See you at https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GUolIAvSX4

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 14, 2022

Sig by Heather Papps

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
Since I've missed a majority of these movie nights due to work I can't really vote for the categories. But I hope the voting goes well. 😎

Heather Papps

hello friend

all votes are welcome, even if it's a single film for a single category!

i actually made a dumb joke to bfm about how i couldn't come up with some off the top of my head, and i made the dang ol list!

BoldFrankensteinMir

Thanks to everyone who came to the Valentine's Day marathon, it was a blast! For posterity, here are the films we watched:

D.O.A.
Scarlet Street
Ladies in Retirement
Assignment - Paris!
Kansas City Confidential
White Corridors
The Fat Man
Film Noir (PBS Documentary)

Sig by Heather Papps

Manifisto

some good rewatches! in terms of the stuff I hadn't seen before, Scarlet Street was the standout. if you needed any further proof it's good, "Local authorities in New York, Milwaukee, and Atlanta banned Scarlet Street early in 1946 because of its dark plot and themes."

ty nesamdoom!

Prof. Crocodile

Manifisto posted:

some good rewatches! in terms of the stuff I hadn't seen before, Scarlet Street was the standout. if you needed any further proof it's good, "Local authorities in New York, Milwaukee, and Atlanta banned Scarlet Street early in 1946 because of its dark plot and themes."

"too depressing, even for milwaukee"

BoldFrankensteinMir

Tonight we're gonna watch something a little more serious: Frank Sinatra in 1955's The Man with the Golden Arm:

Fair warning, this is a movie with some realistic themes in it, specifically about drug addiction. It was very controversial when it came out, but also very historically significant since Preminger, shockingly, did not wait for the Production Code approval before releasing it. You can see the wheels starting to come off of Hayes' power with this film; it's also the very first Saul Bass credits sequence, and he goes on to work on several classics including a bunch of the most famous Hitchcock movies. A whole lot going on in this one!

4pm PST 7pm EST at https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies see you there!

Sig by Heather Papps

Prof. Crocodile

that movie is a classic and I am sad that I will miss it tonight.

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

THIS WEEK ON bWo: Ah poo poo, It's the World Bodybuilding Federation 1991

Ever since he inherited the WWF in 1982, Vince McMahon has had a real thing for oiled up muscle dudes. In 1991 he founded the World Bodybuilding Federation, a move which has been since called "unfortunate" and "gently caress". This week, I regret to inform you that we'll be watching the first of the two WBF shows filmed before it was abandoned (as God intended). Hold on to your thongs and body oil--it's gonna get wild.

No wrestling knowledge needed. (This is actually a real wild ride, and it gets even better in the second show--I promise.)

Prof. Crocodile

your friend sk posted:

Ever since he inherited the WWF in 1982, Vince McMahon has had a real thing for oiled up muscle dudes. In 1991 he founded the World Bodybuilding Federation, a move which has been since called "unfortunate" and "gently caress". This week, I regret to inform you that we'll be watching the first of the two WBF shows filmed before it was abandoned (as God intended). Hold on to your thongs and body oil--it's gonna get wild.

No wrestling knowledge needed. (This is actually a real wild ride, and it gets even better in the second show--I promise.)

this should be a unique train wreck

also… you should advertise this showing in the GBS thread ‘Vince McMahon is old’. there’s lots of deep rasslin talk in that thread.

my cat is norris

#onecallcat

your friend sk posted:

When is this playing? Sunday?

BoldFrankensteinMir

my cat is norris posted:

Monday nights are wrestling night!

Sig by Heather Papps

my cat is norris

#onecallcat

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Monday nights are wrestling night!

ooooohh

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

my cat is norris posted:

I forgot to say! Monday at 7 pm EST!!

BoldFrankensteinMir

Tonight! At 4pm PST 7pm EST, we're watching another film by the great Ida Lupino, it's 1942's Moon Tide!

I haven't seen this one but it was directed by Archie Mayo taking over from Fritz Lang of all people. Mayo went on to direct the Marx Brothers in A Night in Casablanca, so that's a heck of a split. And of course everybody who saw Ladies in Retirement either or both of the times we've screened it this month know Mz Lupino is fantastic, so I'm looking forward to this one!

https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies see you there!

Sig by Heather Papps

Heather Papps

hello friend

i feel the need to precede this with a bit of a caveat: when bfm and i look for films there are certain red flags that immediately bar them from entry. racist caricatures and sexual violence being at the top of said list. i have definitely been burned by picking a movie and then it being disturbing, and as a result when i pick a film i haven't seen i scan the plot description for these things, then usually scrub thru the film, and also check to see if any of the staff vital to said film were monstrous.

this being said tonites film was picked for a few reasons. the first is ida is a queen. the second is that the main character and his pals are named bobo, tiny and nutsy. the third is that while doing said scrubbing for problems i noticed that there is a character who as a first gen immigrant has an accent, but his son has none at all, which i thought was pretty progressive for the time, as a whiteman, the arbiter of what is progressive. also, victor sen yung, the guy who plays the immigrant dad was shot in the pacific southwest airlines flight 710, and played motherfucking hop sing in bonanza, fans of the the podcast bonanas for bonanza will be thrilled to discover.

i guess what i'm trying to say is that sometimes we pick films that are challenging, (quadruply so for old films, which oddly enough seem to be the ones most frequently available on youtube freely), and i'm glad we can watch them together and discuss the vileness that we have sadly not moved past socially.

Prof. Crocodile

your friend sk posted:

I forgot to say! Monday at 7 pm EST!!

should probably start at 6:05. just sayin'.

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

Prof. Crocodile posted:

should probably start at 6:05. just sayin'.

:wcw:

BoldFrankensteinMir

To help folks out with voting on our winners this year, I expanded on HP's list with links to the movies in their entirety on YouTube, where still available. I got most of 'em:

Sita sings the blues

The Skid Kid

Gulliver's Travels

The Princess and the Goblin

The Tale of the Fox

The Mark of Uru

Felix the cat: the movie

Heathcliff: the Movie

The Adventures of Unico

Unico in the Island of Magic

The wild swans

The Scarlet Flower

The Magic Voyage

The Little Panda Fighter

The Point!

Dick Tracy vs Crime Inc

Gang Bullets

Notorious

Vice squad

Naked city

Impact

D.O.A.

Borderline

Man bites dog

Tampopo

Dr Satan

Brain candy

M

Fatal deviation

One cut of the dead

The Great Gold Swindle

Singam 2

Schizopolis

Space milkshake

Manhunt on Mystery Island

The day that you love me

Tango!

Sherman's March

Carts of Darkness

The Century of the Self Part I: Happiness Machine

Ken Burns' Dustbowl Part I: The Great Plow Up

Jackie chan: my stunts

Jackie chan: my story

To The Edge of Time and To The Edge of Space

Journey of the Heart

Seder Masochism

Craig's Wife

Blood diner

Jamaica Inn

The Mafu Cage

Paris is Burning

Madchen in Uniform

Black rose mansion

How to Survive a Plague

Jeffrey

I shot andy warhol

The Trials of Oscar Wilde

The Special Friendship

Dr. Otto and the Riddle of the Gloom Beam

Dragonball Z: Battle of Gods

Theodore Rex

Life of Brian

Menschen am Sonntag

Rodentz

Ernest Rides Again

Triumph of Maciste

3 Dev Adam

Italian Spiderman

God’s Gun

Samson

The Minotaur: the Wild Beast of Crete

Maciste in the Valley of Thundering Echoes

Mole Men Against the Son of Hercules

Atlas in the Land of the Cyclops

Hercules vs Black Pirate

Howling 4

Ernest Scared Stupid

Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde

The Vampire

The Giant Claw

House on Haunted Hill

Tomb of Ligeia

Rocky Horror Show (at the Playhouse Theatre)

The Blob

Hideous Sun Demon

Transitus

Wildlife Takeover: How Animals Reclaimed Chernobyl

Red Crabs / Crazy Ants

Animal homes

National Geographic: Seasons in the Sea

The Rights of Nature: A Global Movement

Elusive: Bigfoot Abroad

National Geographic: The Wonderful World of Cats

National Geographic: Lost World of the Medusa

The Kingdom: How Fungi Made Our World

LIFE BEYOND II: The Museum of Alien Life

The Great Rupert

Nancy drew show christmas ep

The night they saved christmas

Ernest saves christmas

A dog for Christmas

Carol for Another Christmas

Babes in Toyland

Santa Claus Conquers the Martians

Santa Claus Vs the Devil

The Cheaters

Master of the Flying Guillotine

--

And here are my personal nominations for the five awards:

-Best Original Song-
Beware of the Blob, from The Blob
Our Love Festers, from Dr. Otto and the Riddle of the Gloom Beam
Think About Your Troubles, from The Point!
Rupert's Theme, from The Great Rupert (0:01:55 in)
Katy's Cat Song, from The Adventures of Unico

-Coolest Animal-
Arrow the Dog, from The Point
Kotaro the male model cat for Takiko Iwasa, from Nat Geo: The wonderful World of Cats (20:00 in)
Rupert, from A Christmas Wish (AKA The Great Rupert, )
Renard, from The Tale of the Fox
The Giant Claw, from The Giant Claw

-Rowdiest Fight Scene-
Master of the Flying Guillotine, Finale through the market
Dick tracy vs Crime Inc, Anti-Invisibility Final Fight with The Ghost (3:26:00 in)
I Shot Andy Warhol, Valerie Solanas on the Alan Burke Show (1:19:00 in)
Samson, Samson Vs Hercules, (0:04:00 in)
Atlas in the Land of the Cyclops, Atlas v Cyclops (1:28:00 in)

-The Sen. Joseph McCarthy Award for Excellence in Unamerican Thought-
Theodore Rex-
Makeup and a dress on another copy of the puppet is not a love interest, but hey- Whoopi got paid
The Magic Voyage Dom Deluise Commits the Worst Perpetuation of the Columbus Myth in all fiction
A Dog For Christmas Hastily assembled movie-like-scraps, it doesn't even have a #$&%ing dog until the end
The Night They Saved Christmas Santa's cold-reads of people's childhood Christmas Requests aren't charming anymore
The Little Panda Fighter Everything wrong with bloodsport, CGI and copyright laws in one horrible package.

-Biggest 'Wow Actually This is Rad' Surpriser-
The Naked City Even the oldest Police Procedural around is still catnip to nerdy modern viewers.
How to Survive a Plague- Technically, emotionally and politically the most impressive movie we watched all year
The Blob 63 years later and you still can't tell if it's a parody or not.
Nat Geo: The Wonderful World of Cats - Toxoplasmosis works through Youtube apparently (especially when narrated by Joanna Lumley)
Jackie Chan: My Stunts - Jackie is even more charming explaining stunts than doing them, and he does both here.

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 21, 2022

Sig by Heather Papps

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

your friend sk posted:

Prof. Crocodile

this was one of the most surreal things I have ever seen in my life. I can’t imagine explaining it to someone who didn’t already know what it was.

“so the guy owns the world wrestling federation wanted to make a television show about bodybuilding, complete with theme songs and costumes and Regis Philbin...”

Buttchocks

best original song: Unico, because it's the only thing I'm certain is original music.
Coolest animal: Rupert
Rowdiest fight scene: Dick tracy vs crime inc.
Sen. Joseph McCarthy Award: The Wild Swans
Biggest Wow: Tomb of Ligea

BoldFrankensteinMir

Wednesday, February 23rd at 4pm PST 7pm EST, it's the penultimate night of Film Noir February and we're finally watchin' some Bogart! It's 1952's Deadline - U.S.A.!

Mr Bogart plays a newspaper editor who takes on organized crime with his paper, and it has Ethel Barrymore in it too. She's Drew's grand-aunt!

See you there, at https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies

Also, we will be extending the deadline to nominate and vote on the movie awards by a few more days to give people some time. More soon!

Sig by Heather Papps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
Lol when the actor's name get bigger print space than the title of the movie.