Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

bull3964 posted:

On no, another moving part in a vehicle that has literally thousands.

Good news, once widespread electrification happens, the reduction in maintenance and other moving parts will still allow it to be a net gain.

Besides, many cars already DO have moving elements in their headlights and have for years from leveling systems. Even my sub $30k BRZ has a knob to change the level of the HIDs from inside the car.

The driver side headlamp for a 2021 Corolla without any adaptive headlights is a MSRP of $1200. These things are already expensive, adding some tiny motors or more LEDs isn't going to change things dramatically.

Jesus. I shudder to think how much the ones in my CX30 are. They turn with the steering wheel, which is cool as hell, and I can also hear what sounds like fans inside the housings. I hope they last a long time, they're very nice but F paying four figgies for what used to be a $30 sealed beam (old man, cloud, etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

BloodBag posted:

Jesus. I shudder to think how much the ones in my CX30 are. They turn with the steering wheel, which is cool as hell, and I can also hear what sounds like fans inside the housings. I hope they last a long time, they're very nice but F paying four figgies for what used to be a $30 sealed beam (old man, cloud, etc.)
Or $10 for a replacement halogen bulb.

I imagine a height-adjusting light does an average of much less than one adjustment per nighttime trip, while a headlight that moves an element might move many times (tens, hundreds?) in one nighttime trip. I don't see why an automaker would choose moving elements if there is any chance that the need for light can be met by turning different LEDs on and off. Turning lights on and off is also faster for whatever that is worth.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
There might be a chance for Chinese carmakers to enter the market once the cheapest car GM makes is a $47k Silverado LT.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

PBCrunch posted:

Or $10 for a replacement halogen bulb.

I imagine a height-adjusting light does an average of much less than one adjustment per nighttime trip, while a headlight that moves an element might move many times (tens, hundreds?) in one nighttime trip. I don't see why an automaker would choose moving elements if there is any chance that the need for light can be met by turning different LEDs on and off. Turning lights on and off is also faster for whatever that is worth.
The "moving" lights will turn with corners as well, which I think is mainly what they do in the US besides auto-leveling. And of course every time you turn them on they do a little dance for fun (maybe they are leveling, but they do it every time), at least the VW and Audis do. I think the laser matrix LED lights or whatever they are called actually do both, they turn LEDs on and off and swivel for corners.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

bull3964 posted:

Good news, once widespread electrification happens, the reduction in maintenance and other moving parts will still allow it to be a net gain.
Man, I wish we could get lightweight hub motors so I could have AWD but never have to think about a CV joint ever again. I swear to God that my Impreza likes to eat them as snacks.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The thing about using tons of small LEDs like Audi's matrix LEDs means that the optics are more complex too and the whole assembly needs auto-leveling anyways since the only way all this adaptive stuff works is if all the relative positions of everything is known.

Two projectors in each lens with a few degrees of movement in all 4 directions has the ability to do a basic version of this easily. The high beams can pivot out a few degrees when approaching a car from the back to create a blank spot so as not to blind them and the driver's side high beam can dip and even turn off so as not to blind oncoming traffic.

There are just so many moving bits in a car that can lead to a terminal outcome that I just can't see headlights being a huge problem here. We have piezoelectric misters spraying explosion juice into a detonation chamber hundreds of times a second. Hell, you have your wipers that need to work for tons of duty cycles. Windows. Gauges (those are all driven by tiny motors if you don't have a digital display.)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder how long those LEDs are going to last. They're driving them pretty hard so I wouldn't be surprised if all these fancy headlights look like the chessboard in 6-7 years

Charles posted:

Have you tried swapping out for a fresh pair of bulbs? I got some Osram clones (they stopped making them) and they work so much better than the long life bulbs the car came with, without any blue coating or gimmicks like that. I don't really know how bulbs in the EU market are though, besides the fact I ordered the Osram clones :v:

Also bulbs get dimmer as they age of course.

I could try that, I actually bought a set a while ago when I thought a bulb died, but it turned out to be the connector. Also have a set of AliExpress LED bulbs but they don't seem to be any better.

Throatwarbler posted:

There might be a chance for Chinese carmakers to enter the market once the cheapest car GM makes is a $47k Silverado LT.
You can already order a Changli right now!

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Come to think of it, I bet a small servo motor would last a lot longer than the garbage LED drivers these days. LEDs have a stupid long service life, but I see so many flickering or dead LEDs on cars these days because the stepdown/driver died.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

mobby_6kl posted:

I could try that, I actually bought a set a while ago when I thought a bulb died, but it turned out to be the connector. Also have a set of AliExpress LED bulbs but they don't seem to be any better.

There are no LED replacements out there that are better than halogen yet, only worse.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Laser is already a thing and will probably win longevity wise because you only have one (or 3 for BMW) of those instead of dozens of LEDs.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
My 2015 M3 has the adaptive LED's. I'm not sure if they were available on the F30 before that? You can code them for the fancy european anti-dazzle stuff. It's supposed to be pretty cool but not perfect by any means.

I actually specifically looked for a car with them because they look way better than the projectors and they're good headlights too.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

KillHour posted:

Laser is already a thing and will probably win longevity wise because you only have one (or 3 for BMW) of those instead of dozens of LEDs.

Yeah I love the new BMW Laser lights they're fantastic and a whole lot better of an idea than the LED projectors on Benz that could be coded to behave like a movie projector if you so desired.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I was reading through the final ruling for adaptive headlights and it says the US decided to develop its own standards for testing. There were concerns from manufacturers that custom hardware would be required to meet the US standards so they decided to model the standards after the SAE standard. However, it’s not identical to the SAE standard.

I think this would mean that the adaptive headlights on vehicles sold here would have to be tested by the NHTSA before being allowed so I don’t think that current adaptive headlights could just be enabled due to this ruling.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I really hate the artificial market barriers. Does it really benefit domestic makers anymore when they all produce worldwide?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Given the propensity for massive corruption and regulatory capture among European regulators I appreciate another regulator existing to keep the carmakers honest. Remember when some European carmaker was caught falsifying their emissions test data?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Throatwarbler posted:

Given the propensity for massive corruption and regulatory capture among European regulators I appreciate another regulator existing to keep the carmakers honest. Remember when some European carmaker was caught falsifying their emissions test data?

Ahh yes, US regulators of course are famed for their independence and lack of corruption and regulatory capture.

Weren't those companies also lying to US regulators to dodge US tests? Doing the exact same thing US truck manufacturers were caught doing about a decade earlier?

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Keyser_Soze posted:

the C8 Corvette interior is so annoying with the dumb "WALL" how are you supposed to get freaky in that thing?

The button wall is the 1963 split-window spine of Corvettes. Highly controversial then, highly valuable to collectors now.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'm 9 and this is cool

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Charles posted:

I'm 9 and this is cool

Same. It's very Batmobile.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It follows Corvette's theme of utterly despising the passenger.

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
haters

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
RIP in pieces

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dear valued customer;

Your order status has been updated to HAHAHA go gently caress yourself.

Thank you for choosing Ford Motors!

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Fuel prices in New Zealand have gone incredibly bonkers recently. It's always been pretty pricey, but I just filled up recently and noticed 98 octane (equivalent to 93 in the USA) $3.20 NZD/litre, or the equivalent of $8.10 US/gallon. I've been considering replacing this car as I've had it for nearly 10 years now and it's due for some more expensive mechanical failures soon, I want something fun and now looking at fuel prices I'm more heavily weighting fuel economy, but drat all of the EV's or hybrids available here are either miserable bland SUV/CUV things or extremely expensive, like close to $200k NZD.

We're a two-car household with our second being a van that we drive our bikes around with and sleep in while on holidays, so I don't really need long range for something that would 99% be short trips, but I do want it to be fun or interesting in some way if I can help it. I'd be equally happy to go for something extremely small and cheap if it was fun/interesting/cool in some way but that doesn't even seem to exist on the market here.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Blackhawk posted:

the equivalent of $8.10 US/gallon

:stonklol:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm super confused, how is Biden making gas prices in NZ go bonkers!?! /sarcasm

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I'm super confused, how is Biden making gas prices in NZ go bonkers!?! /sarcasm

Why do you think there are all those photos of Obama on "vacation" after he "left office"?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Blackhawk posted:

…the equivalent of $8.10 US/gallon.

I’d consider either selling the spouse/partner/children or harnessing them to a wagon, dealers choice.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
THANKS OBAMA BIDEN

When I filled up yesterday 95 RON (89 AKI) was 7.73 USD per gallon eqv here in Sweden.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

MrYenko posted:

I’d consider either selling the spouse/partner/children or harnessing them to a wagon, dealers choice.

Make them run on a wheel to power the car.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Price of fuel has me wanting to sell the evo pretty badly. It's definitely fun to drive but the second the turbo is on I can hear it deleting money from my bank account

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Sorry Im late to the party talking about the C&D Lightning Lap stuff, but I still get it in print form like an old man and just got around to reading it.

Couple things that stood out:
I saw the new Golf R beat the old Golf R. Neat. But that whole section about having to hold the steering wheel weird just sounds insane, no thank you.
I was actually really surprised to turn a few more pages in and see that the Civic Type R still worked the new Golf R by 4 seconds. Ouch.
I dont want to discuss the tires being the only reason either. VW could put it on pilot sports if they wanted to, they didnt.

So Heavier yes, but more horsepower and AWD. Also $300 more. I thought it would have done better personally.

And then I just saw this:
https://www.roadandtrack.com/reviews/a39111399/vw-golf-r-shoppers-stick-with-the-gti/
"Actually, go buy a Hyundai instead. Or a Honda."
Ouch

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nidhg00670000 posted:

THANKS OBAMA BIDEN

When I filled up yesterday 95 RON (89 AKI) was 7.73 USD per gallon eqv here in Sweden.

Now imagine $6.5 but the average income is half lol.

I almost never make long trips because really difficult to justify driving very far when I can fly to anywhere in Europe for 15 bucks.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Yeah when you picture that $8.10 USD/gallon, also remember that the median household income here is ~$37,600 USD and new cars are like twice the price they are in the US. So we get the expensive petrol prices of Europe without the high wages, bugger-all public transport and expensive (NZ new) cars.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Blackhawk posted:

Yeah when you picture that $8.10 USD/gallon, also remember that the median household income here is ~$37,600 USD and new cars are like twice the price they are in the US. So we get the expensive petrol prices of Europe without the high wages, bugger-all public transport and expensive (NZ new) cars.

So it’s like Florida.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

MrYenko posted:

So it’s like Florida.

Fewer chuds? So I guess we have that going for us.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My driving has dropped to ABOUT 3500 miles a year at this point, so economy isn't really a major consideration in anything I drive anymore.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Blackhawk posted:

Fuel prices in New Zealand have gone incredibly bonkers recently. It's always been pretty pricey, but I just filled up recently and noticed 98 octane (equivalent to 93 in the USA) $3.20 NZD/litre, or the equivalent of $8.10 US/gallon. I've been considering replacing this car as I've had it for nearly 10 years now and it's due for some more expensive mechanical failures soon, I want something fun and now looking at fuel prices I'm more heavily weighting fuel economy, but drat all of the EV's or hybrids available here are either miserable bland SUV/CUV things or extremely expensive, like close to $200k NZD.

We're a two-car household with our second being a van that we drive our bikes around with and sleep in while on holidays, so I don't really need long range for something that would 99% be short trips, but I do want it to be fun or interesting in some way if I can help it. I'd be equally happy to go for something extremely small and cheap if it was fun/interesting/cool in some way but that doesn't even seem to exist on the market here.

98 is 2.88 in Lower Hutt and that's bad enough. That's Gull too so has some ethanol in it.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Blackhawk posted:

, but drat all of the EV's or hybrids available here are either miserable bland SUV/CUV things or extremely expensive, like close to $200k NZD.

A new model 3 is under NZ$60k factoring in the tax credit I think, my family has been looking at them. With fuel prices like that it starts to make sense. Although your electricity prices are high too.. You guys get a lot of ex-Japan leafs as well which would be a great option for commuting.

sanchez fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Blackhawk posted:

Base Corolla hatch US: US$20,195 / NZ$31,200
Base Corolla hatch NZ: US$20,300 / NZ$30,290

Specs seem identical, NZ has better warranty (3yr/36,000m vs 5yr/150,000km) NZ price includes GST and on-road costs (registration, plates, WoF). US price doesn't include sales tax or on road costs, which is another US$2200 for California as an example.

Yeah we get screwed in lots of ways, and with cars sometimes we do, especially if you want something dumb like an American truck (which needs $50k in RHD conversion), but "twice the price" is a bit much.

Edit:

Blackhawk posted:

but drat all of the EV's or hybrids available here are either miserable bland SUV/CUV things or extremely expensive, like close to $200k NZD.

That's EV's everywhere dude. What global models are you missing for affordable and exciting? As noted, a Tesla 3 starts pretty reasonably, cheaper than a tricked out Ranger and there's thousands of them clogging the streets. (Quite literally in Wellington's case right now lol)

BuckyDoneGun fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 19, 2022