Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Casimir Radon posted:

What little I’ve seen about it says it’s surprisingly cheap looking for what you pay for it.

It’s not open yet, is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It’s in dress rehearsals now, apparently.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Media and cast member previews as far as I can tell. I'm curious to know when the embargo is but equally I kind of want to not know anything.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Arquinsiel posted:

Media and cast member previews as far as I can tell. I'm curious to know when the embargo is but equally I kind of want to not know anything.

I'm just waiting for Jenny Nicholson's video on it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Due to a set of silly circumstances I was already booked to be in Disneyworld in March on a "piss away money" holiday, so we added this on. At this point I'm just waiting. Worst case scenario I get to be one of the people complaining about how it was poo poo from the start.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/jennyenicholson/status/1493656082723467266?s=21

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Robot Style posted:

So they're doing a nu-canon version of The Courtship of Princess Leia, and surprise surprise it's a tie-in novel for the Disney theme park Star Wars hotel..

Not that CoPL was a great book or anything, but the stuff it introduced about Dathomir and Hapes was a huge part of the Legends continuity and is still being referenced all over the place, so it's a little disappointing that the story that laid all that groundwork is being replaced with a promo for the inevitable Disney Star Wars Wedding Package.

It is fascinating which books are cornerstones of the old EU.

Warlord Zsinj is a joke of a villain in Courtship, but then lurks in the background of the Rogue Squadron series before coming to fore as a very dangerous antagonist against Wraith Squadron.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They didn't even care what I think because I'm coming from outside the USA :suicide:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

everything i have seen about that makes me think the space hotel is gonna suck. like the idea is cool but it looks very star trek plus the prices are nuts for as cheap as it looks.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It definitely looks way, way less cool than that Vegas Star Trek: The Experience thing.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I have no idea if it was intended when they were filming it, but the Carbonite block accessories released with the Vintage Collection Razor Crest have apparently named Mando's prisoners in the first episode of the series as Rik Duel's gang from the old Marvel comics:

Considering some of the other deep cuts the show's been making I wouldn't be surprised if that's actually what they were going for.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Claudia Gray reveal yourself.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Looks like we're getting basically The New New Essential Chronology:

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-timelines-exclusive

I'm curious to what extent they'll actually put dates or spans of time to some of these things, or simply just lay out the sequential order. It's hard to imagine something like the Essential Chronologies with their plotting things down to the month or week coming out now, when the current attitude seems to be leaving things more vague so as not to interfere with future developments.

Robot Style posted:

I have no idea if it was intended when they were filming it, but the Carbonite block accessories released with the Vintage Collection Razor Crest have apparently named Mando's prisoners in the first episode of the series as Rik Duel's gang from the old Marvel comics:

Considering some of the other deep cuts the show's been making I wouldn't be surprised if that's actually what they were going for.

Haha, I love this. Here's hoping we get to see the Zeltron party planet on screen some day.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Tom Veitch has passed at 80 from COVID.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsEU/comments/svkiu0/tom_veitch_author_of_dark_empire_and_tales_of_the/

Farewell Mr. Veitch. Dark Empire was my doorway into the Expanded Universe when I was just a kid.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

RIP to a legend. And 80 was too young.

DE and TOTJ were huge to me in the 90s. Really, to me in that decade, Star Wars was DE, TOTJ, Thrawn Trilogy, and X-wing. Alongside Zahn and KJA, he's arguably the most influential contributor to the EU, and I'd say Veitch's works had more of an impact on the subsequent films than either of them.

I know as of a couple years ago he was working on a book about the development of Dark Empire, and I really hope whatever parts of it are done get put out at some point.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

The Tales of the Jedi comics were great. I loved the ancient Egyptian aesthetic..

RIP Tom Veitch.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I like TOTJ a lot. It’s shame about how it’s paced but it’s a cool idea.

We’ve lost a lot of the old EU writers in the last decade or so. Allston, Crispin, McIntyre, Wolverton, Schulman. Off the top of my head. Brian Daley died way back in the mid-90s.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
Does Asoka explicitly know that Padme was Luke's father? I mean it might be pretty obvious in retrospect, but I didn't watch any clone cartoons. Maybe Padme managed to keep it on the down low. Like she wanted to.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

ScottyJSno posted:

Does Asoka explicitly know that Padme was Luke's father? I mean it might be pretty obvious in retrospect, but I didn't watch any clone cartoons. Maybe Padme managed to keep it on the down low. Like she wanted to.

I didn't know that Padme was Luke's Father. Man that scene in ESB was weird

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

bunnyofdoom posted:

I didn't know that Padme was Luke's Father. Man that scene in ESB was weird

Ah, you missed the Darth & Droids edition

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ScottyJSno posted:

In Revenge of the Sith its heavily implied that Obi Wan knows Padme and Anakin are married. The Clone Wars cartoon removes any doubt by having Obi Wan comment on Anakin and Padme's relationship with a teasing "don't ask don't tell" attitude. Ahsoka on the other hand doesn't really interact with Padme all that much. The only time the two are paired up for a significant amount of time is during the episode where Ahsoka is defending Padme from assassination attempts by Aurra Sing.

I think she did know about the two's relationship eventually. If Ahsoka was ever aware of Obi Wan surviving the purge I'm sure he would have told her the truth had she asked.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Has it ever been established in the Disney continuity when Luke and Leia learn about Padme?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Chairman Capone posted:

Has it ever been established in the Disney continuity when Luke and Leia learn about Padme?
This doesn't answer your question, but I'm remembering that Legends' solution was just to have Luke watch the prequels on R2-DVD during Dark Nest. :doh: I would hope/assume that new canon managed to fit it in a little more organically.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

fartknocker posted:

The correct answer is somewhere in the Falcon.
In the smuggler compartment, under the floorboards.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Are there any books/comics/etc that are focused on Luke going off and exploring weird Force stuff? Whether it's seeking out old temples or artifacts or tracking down important holocrons or whatnot, or just having trippy visionquests in the jungle? If it's just one of a few storylines I'm fine with that, too.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Battlefront II campaign has a mission where you play as Luke going through a cave where Jedi artifacts are stored. Eventually finding the compass thingy from the sequel trilogy. It was alright.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'll check that out, I remember seeing a clip of it on YouTube. I'm far more interested in Legends content, though. The Disney stuff is way too antiseptic.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Luke searching for Jedi artifacts/lore was part of the Black Fleet Trilogy and Courtship of Princess Leia.

The Courtship bit is interesting because in it, Luke finds records left by a Jedi Archivist talking about the Jedi temple on Coruscant and how stormtroopers destroyed it in the last moments of the Old Republic, which lines up pretty well with ROTS, years before it was even established that the Jedi had a Coruscant HQ. It's a shame no source went the extra mile and established that Jocasta Nu was the archivist in question.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I think there's a few stories that deal with it, but it's usually more of a sidequest thing than the main plot.

Courtship of Princess Leia starts Luke out exploring some Jedi ruins, and has a lot of Luke interacting with the Witches of Dathomir for the first time and learning about their traditions.

Dark Empire doesn't really dwell on it in in any meaningful way, but Luke joins Palpatine in that story both as a way to understand why his father might have turned, and to learn secrets of the Dark Side that could help to conquer it.

The Black Fleet Crisis trilogy has a subplot about Luke helping a member of the Fallanassi find the rest of her people after she lies to him about his mother being one of them.

I think some of the Fate of the Jedi books also had Luke and Ben going around and visiting different Force using groups in hopes of finding a way to stop the villain of the series.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Are there any books/comics/etc that are focused on Luke going off and exploring weird Force stuff? Whether it's seeking out old temples or artifacts or tracking down important holocrons or whatnot, or just having trippy visionquests in the jungle? If it's just one of a few storylines I'm fine with that, too.

The Legends of Luke Skywalker (now in Manga form!)

Basically a series of folk tales revolving around Luke doing just that

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Arc Hammer posted:

In Revenge of the Sith its heavily implied that Obi Wan knows Padme and Anakin are married. The Clone Wars cartoon removes any doubt by having Obi Wan comment on Anakin and Padme's relationship with a teasing "don't ask don't tell" attitude. Ahsoka on the other hand doesn't really interact with Padme all that much. The only time the two are paired up for a significant amount of time is during the episode where Ahsoka is defending Padme from assassination attempts by Aurra Sing.

I think she did know about the two's relationship eventually. If Ahsoka was ever aware of Obi Wan surviving the purge I'm sure he would have told her the truth had she asked.

There are a few hints through various Clone Wars episodes that Ahsoka knows about Padme and Anakin and Forces of Destiny confirmed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIRtw4WufsA

Given her interactions with Bail Organa in Rebels I figure she doesn't know about Leia though.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Arquinsiel posted:

Friday Feb. 25 they're lifting the embargo.

thrawn527 posted:

I'm just waiting for Jenny Nicholson's video on it.

Same.

Speaking of Disney Parks and Resorts forced tie-ins, I *still* haven't finished Thrawn Alliances. I got sick of the back and forth timelines and couldn't have given any less of a poo poo about Batuu, so that book is still sitting with the bookmark I left in it back in 2018.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Doronin posted:

Same.

Speaking of Disney Parks and Resorts forced tie-ins, I *still* haven't finished Thrawn Alliances. I got sick of the back and forth timelines and couldn't have given any less of a poo poo about Batuu, so that book is still sitting with the bookmark I left in it back in 2018.

These are both serious problems with that book. If it helps, the next Thrawn book is better, but still not great. I enjoyed the first book in that trilogy, but I think it lost steam after that.

Personally, I still have a bookmark early on in the first Thrawn: Ascendency book. It wasn't quite hooking me, and I was getting obsessed with Terry Pratchett for the first time, so I took a break and haven't gone back since (I'm still reading Pratchett). I'll get back to it eventually, I know. I just don't love the tendency of some media to always want to go further back in the storyline (we're now in a prequel trilogy to the prequel trilogy of books that are technically prequels to now non-canon books?) when I'd rather move forward, building on what we now know.

It seems like the hook is, "What if Thrawn, but younger, not as impressive yet, and none of that Empire stuff?", and that just doesn't interest me that much.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 23, 2022

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Alliances is the weakest of that trilogy. Main thing it has going for it is Thrawn trolling Anakin and later Vader. The next entry is better.

The Ascendancy Trilogy is better than the other trilogy by a wide margin. Zahn wasn’t hemmed in by having to accommodate Rebels or Galaxy’s Edge, he just did what he wanted to.

I’m pretty tired of the timeline’s in SW books jumping around. I think more than half of the new-Canon books have it so it’s almost like Lucasfilm is mandating it. I’m pretty sick of it.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

thrawn527 posted:

These are both serious problems with that book. If it helps, the next Thrawn book is better, but still not great. I enjoyed the first book in that trilogy, but I think it lost steam after that.

Personally, I still have a bookmark early on in the first Thrawn: Ascendency book. It wasn't quite hooking me, and I was getting obsessed with Terry Pratchett for the first time, so I took a break and haven't gone back since (I'm still reading Pratchett). I'll get back to it eventually, I know. I just don't love the tendency of some media to always want to go further back in the storyline (we're now in a prequel trilogy to the prequel trilogy of books that are technically prequels to now non-canon books?) when I'd rather move forward, building on what we now know.

It seems like the hook is, "What if Thrawn, but younger, not as impressive yet, and none of that Empire stuff?", and that just doesn't interest me that much.

That's good to know! That one was Thrawn: Treason, right? If so, my local Barnes and Noble has been trying to sell it at a steep discount for months but I never bothered picking it up. I may get it just to see how that storyline concludes. I have the same problem with prequels too. 95% of the time, I just want to see where this all goes, not where it came from. Especially not a prequel to a prequel because Disney still hasn't determined Thrawn's fate.

I'm also still trying to make myself pick up and read the first High Republic book. One of these days I swear I'll get to it, but I'd rather re-read Claudia Gray's entries into nu-canon than most of the rest of the books that have come out.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Casimir Radon posted:

Alliances is the weakest of that trilogy. Main thing it has going for it is Thrawn trolling Anakin and later Vader. The next entry is better.

The Ascendancy Trilogy is better than the other trilogy by a wide margin. Zahn wasn’t hemmed in by having to accommodate Rebels or Galaxy’s Edge, he just did what he wanted to.

I’m pretty tired of the timeline’s in SW books jumping around. I think more than half of the new-Canon books have it so it’s almost like Lucasfilm is mandating it. I’m pretty sick of it.

For a while I think this was true, with Lucasfilm telling them to stay away from the Sequel Trilogy era so the books didn't step on the movies' toes, like how Lucas used to say to stay away from the Prequel era. But now that Lucasfilm seems to be staying away from that era, too, I don't know why they'd care. Maybe they don't want them messing with the Mando era, so it's just safer to stay away from anything post ROTJ, with a few safe exceptions? I agree, I'm beyond the point of being annoyed by it.

And yeah, I know everyone says the Ascendancy Trilogy is great, so I have to get back into it. Was I right about the general "hook" of the trilogy? Or does it evolve beyond that?

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 23, 2022

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

For a while I think this was true, with Lucasfilm telling them to stay away from the Sequel Trilogy era so the books didn't step on the movies' toes, like how Lucas used to say to stay away from the Prequel era. But now that Lucasfilm seems to be staying away from that era, too, I don't know why they'd care. Maybe they don't want them messing with the Mando era, so it's just safer to stay away from anything post ROTJ, with a few safe exceptions? I agree, I'm beyond the point of being annoyed by it.

And yeah, I know everyone says the Ascendancy Trilogy is great, so I have to get back into it. Was I right about the general "hook" of the trilogy? Or does it evolve beyond that?
What I was referring to about the timeline jumping around is that more than half the new books seem to have a story going on in the present, and then mixed in chapters that take place in the past. Wendig’s trilogy had all those interlude chapters taking about what was going on elsewhere while the Empire was falling apart. Etc.

The Ascendancy Trilogy is about a much younger Thrawn’s development, and it ends before the Republic transitions into the Empire. Or at the same time, it wasn’t explicit about that if I remember correctly. The real hook though is stuff about the Unknown Regions, the dangers that exist there, and cutthroat Chiss politics. All of which is done well. The opening text for the trilogy is “A long time ago, beyond a galaxy far, far away…” and that really sells what he’s doing with it. The past (Clone Wars era) events of Alliances take place between the first and second books I think, but it’s largely divorced anything else in new-Canon.

Outbound Flight is shown to have happened as well. It’s not explicitly stated but it does depict Thrass and Lorana Jinzler, who goes unnamed, preparing to sacrifice themselves to save as many of the people on Outbound Flight as possible.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Casimir Radon posted:

What I was referring to about the timeline jumping around is that more than half the new books seem to have a story going on in the present, and then mixed in chapters that take place in the past. Wendig’s trilogy had all those interlude chapters taking about what was going on elsewhere while the Empire was falling apart. Etc.

Oh! I misunderstood you, my mistake. I know Wendig did that, and it was weird as hell. But I don't remember a ton of other books doing it (other than the obvious Thrawn: Alliances, that was mentioned). Is it really more than half? The books mentioned in the OP surely don't bear that out, though that's a self selecting list, since it's a list of the books we all decided were the "good ones".

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Casimir Radon posted:

I nearly missed this post, but if the prequel to the prequel is that much better, I might have to give it a go. Your description sounds intriguing.

And agree on the time-hopping stuff. It's exhausting trying to figure out where or when in the universe you are from page to page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I read the first Ascendancy book and TBH it was entertaining mostly because it might as well not have been Star Wars, just some generic sci-fi about an alien who doesn't understand people. The time-skipping is still there though, and if you want to be uncharitable you can interpret it as a bunch of chapters that end with asspull decisions followed by a single flashback chapter that explains why Thrawn actually knew the asspull would work all along. They're better than I was expecting really.

Doronin posted:

I had apparently intended to say "is lifted" but failed there.

thrawn527 posted:

I was getting obsessed with Terry Pratchett for the first time, so I took a break and haven't gone back since (I'm still reading Pratchett).
There are only like 50 or 60 works to get through, you'll get back to it eventually.

You'll never be the same though.