Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

That was covered in the relationships thread the recipe came from, this seems like a better place to discuss its culinary merits.

Good point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

reject modernity, embrace tradition

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't really know what this guy's potatoes were like, but I keep thinking of that time my Aunt made mashed potatoes in a blender and they ended up all gloopy.

What's in the pot is the least nasty thing in the picture.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The cup of ranch in the potatoes is already a crime against God.

I like ranch dressing just fine on a salad, but I don't understand how it apparently broke a lot of Americans brains to the point they want it on and in everything. Pizza and ranch? No, gently caress off. Ranch-flavored tortilla chips? Keep loving off. Ranch in mashed potatoes? gently caress off forever.

I've got a shaker of powdered ranch in my spice cabinet and I bet that just really burns your butter doesn't it

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Not ranch seasoning, not the packet you use to create ranch dressing, but an actual shaker with dessicated ranch dressing that you can put on food. I've put it on pizza, and it was good. I shook it over a nicoise salad, and it was good.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's seasoned buttermilk. If someone told you they added buttermilk, garlic, onion, parsley, and dill into their mashed potatoes you wouldn't think twice.

If he makes his own. If he uses Hidden Valley, he’s putting vegetable oil, vinegar, sugar, phosphoric acid, xanthan gum, modified food starch, citric acid, and a bunch of preservatives in, as well as the stuff you named.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

AlbieQuirky posted:

If he makes his own. If he uses Hidden Valley, he’s putting vegetable oil, vinegar, sugar, phosphoric acid, xanthan gum, modified food starch, citric acid, and a bunch of preservatives in, as well as the stuff you named.

those are the things an american dinner is made of. Lack of respect for our culture much?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
reposting this from the cursed images thread

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AARD VARKMAN posted:

reposting this from the cursed images thread

I already had to see that once and you made me see it a second time

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

AlbieQuirky posted:

That's the poo poo they already put in every shelf stable bottle of salad dressing.

I'll try to make a version of this this week so I can pin down why it could be DEVASTATINGLY bad, but it just sounds like he took ingredients that might appear on a midwestern Fully Loaded Baked Potato and threw it in the pot while mashing. 8 ounces for 3 pounds of potatoes is a lot with all that havarti cheese, but I know some people that won't eat mashed potatoes unless they're excessively lumpy and chewy, they won't touch creamy mashed potatoes. I'd make these with skin-on yukon golds and see what happens.

bawk has a new favorite as of 05:04 on Feb 20, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

thecluckmeme posted:

midwestern Fully Loaded Baked Potato

Also gross.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

That was covered in the relationships thread the recipe came from, this seems like a better place to discuss its culinary merits.

Congrats on your chef job, do you make a similar recipe at your restaurant, or is it just something you whip up at home?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

thecluckmeme posted:

I'll try to make a version of this this week so I can pin down why it could be DEVASTATINGLY bad, but it just sounds like he took ingredients that might appear on a midwestern Fully Loaded Baked Potato and threw it in the pot while mashing. 8 ounces for 3 pounds of potatoes is a lot with all that havarti cheese, but I know some people that won't eat mashed potatoes unless they're excessively lumpy and chewy, they won't touch creamy mashed potatoes. I'd make these with skin-on yukon golds and see what happens.

You can't forget the gently caress ton of dried onion either. I love lots of onion flavor in everything but I'm not sure about that addition to mashed potatoes.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I suppose every flavor that works with potato chips would also work with mashed potatoes?

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

The problem with the potatoes is that they’re a poster child for trying to do too much at once. Absent one’s personal feelings about ranch dressing, I think if you pared down the additions a bit they would be, I dunno, at least edible? As it stands it seems like the sort of potatoes that someone who hates the taste of potatoes would make.

We’re going to find out that this guy is the executive chef at Guy Fieri’s Times Square restaurant and everything will click into place.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Data Graham posted:

I suppose every flavor that works with potato chips would also work with mashed potatoes?

As someone who hates potato chips and likes mashed potatoes, I feel like certain flavors do a lot better when they aren't overly salted and oily.

But now that makes me want to try bbq sauce or wasabi on mashed potatoes. Or both.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

thecluckmeme posted:

That's the poo poo they already put in every shelf stable bottle of salad dressing.

I was thinking this too. It just sounds like he’s trying to recreate a loaded baked potato in a mashed potato format, which isn’t necessarily wrong, he’s just being weirdly forceful in making everyone else eat it too.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Like when he’s at work if a customer sends food back, does he come storming out of the kitchen and demand they eat it?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Freaquency posted:

We’re going to find out that this guy is the executive chef at Guy Fieri’s Times Square restaurant and everything will click into place.

This makes entirely too much sense, I don't care what the truth is. These are Guy Fieri's Screaming Trash Pail Ranched Potatoes

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Somebody just go ahead and make the dang potatoes already so we can know who's right and who's wrong

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

wasabi on mashed potatoes.

highly recommend this

thecluckmeme posted:

which is why I wouldn’t put bottled salad dressing in mashed potatoes though

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Everyone is overlooking the real crime which is the loving sesame oil

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Everyone is overlooking the real crime which is the loving sesame oil

loving thank you

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
who wants some veggie burgers!!!

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I tried making my own veggie burgers with store bought veggie patties. They were the worst thing I ever ate until I had vegan cold cuts.

How did those taste?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

TV Zombie posted:

I tried making my own veggie burgers with store bought veggie patties. They were the worst thing I ever ate until I had vegan cold cuts.

How did those taste?

No idea, the place closed permanently after being featured on Guy Fieri's Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. (Brewburgers of Omaha)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
At least, like, try to shape the defrosted vegetable medley into some sort of hamburger-like shape? No? OK :effort:

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

AARD VARKMAN posted:

so, I’m guessing the gimmick of this place is “slightly pre-digested for your convenience”

that or maybe they just have a xenomorph chef drooling all over each dish before it leaves the kitchen. eat it up quick before your order burns a hole through the plate and the table

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

SatansOnion posted:

so, I’m guessing the gimmick of this place is “slightly pre-digested for your convenience”

that or maybe they just have a xenomorph chef drooling all over each dish before it leaves the kitchen

I posted more of their other stuff in the Americana thread but I'll just quote a few here for reference :ssh:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Black bean burgs are the only acceptable "veggie" burgers

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I love how many places hear "veggie" and just toss Bird's Eye poo poo at you

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

AARD VARKMAN posted:

This one appears to be a portobello mushroom cap, which is a good burger stand-in on its own, that had a can of Del Monte mixed vegetables dumped on it. Like how does one arrive at that as an idea?

I'm not a vegetarian but I really like grilled portobello caps as burger replacements sometimes, and this thing appears to be completely be missing the point.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

Black bean burgs are the only acceptable "veggie" burgers

I love a black bean burg, but a big portabella/portobello mushroom cap grilled with balsamic on a toasted bun is also a very fine burg.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
veggie burger is the only acceptable "burger" :smug:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

AARD VARKMAN posted:

this is what you serve if you want to make sure that vegetarians never visit your restaurant again. also any party with one or more vegetarians will pick a better restaurant the next time.

just a few years ago, ye olde sad vegetable patty (frozen puck of mashed potatoes, corn, peas, onions, breaded and deep-fried) was what you usually got if you ordered a veggie burger. burger-tech has really involved since then, and the current ones based on soy- or pea proten or seitan are actually tasty and feel like a burger.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

von Braun posted:

veggie burger is the only acceptable "burger" :smug:

the people at Bastard Burgers got my order wrong and I got a cow burger by mistake. took a bite, and meat is weird if you haven't eaten it in a few years.

otoh the vegan burgers there are excellent.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

axolotl farmer posted:

the people at Bastard Burgers got my order wrong and I got a cow burger by mistake. took a bite, and meat is weird if you haven't eaten it in a few years.

otoh the vegan burgers there are excellent.

Can second the BB Vegan burgers, real good. The cheese is slightly unnerving but it’s kinda whatever

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Have you tried their Animal Friendly Fries. It's an awesome mess.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

This is obviously not a burger, but I would eat that vegetable roll.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

This one appears to be a portobello mushroom cap, which is a good burger stand-in on its own
I'll never understand how anyone can think this. I love mushrooms, but meat is filling. Mushrooms lack substance. I can eat a burger and be satisfied. Replace the meat with mushroom? I'm going to need a second one (and possibly a third) so I can fill up on the bread.

A beef burger patty is, what, 1000 kJ? A mushroom is 100. Do you not get hungry? Do you not need sustenance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I first thought the patty in this one was a clam. Looking closer, it's a mushroom.