Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Simply put, Street Fighter is for the straights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Sylvie's design is perfect.

For a clown to wear. To the optometrist.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Kyo's entire personality is that he's an rear end in a top hat, he's just not a murderous rear end in a top hat like Iori.

Like Yuki's appearance in the Sacred Treasures ending in XV is the only time I can think of where he's not just being a giant piece of poo poo to his girlfriend.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Overbite posted:

For a clown to wear. To the optometrist.

Yes?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Overbite posted:

Fool got the green hair, the headphones so you know he doesn't care about whats going on around him, the school uniform, the coat that somehow stays on his shoulders, the wrapped forearms, the big bracelets, the beaded chain, and one pant leg pulled up, and the belted boots. Oh and he has magic hand powers. And he acts like an uninterested cool guy. The tie is the least of his problems.

he's just zoomer iori i don't see the problem

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Iori has always sucked, is the problem

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

what the hell

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

huh?

Overbite posted:

At least it's better than Street Fighter. Every character introduced in 4 and 5 is lame as heck. Just a bunch of bozos.

what?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

SF5's newcomers are near-universally terrible, sub-Remy nobodies

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i can't speak for 5 but 4 introduced Hakan edit: and rufus. and don't people like Menat?

big deal fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 22, 2022

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Jack Trades posted:

If we're gonna talk about female characters in fighting games. Where the hell are all the fighting grandmas?
We had that discussion earlier at some point but it's hosed up how you can count all the female characters that are older than 30 in a mainstream fighting game on the fingers of one hand.

IIRC: Vanessa is 30, Ivy and Orchid are 32, Sonya Blade is 50-ish, and that's it.

Juri was originally conceived as an old lady master but then Ono said "no, make her a bad girl who shows lots of sideboob"

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Juri was originally conceived as an old lady master but then Ono said "no, make her a bad girl who shows lots of sideboob"

He was right.

Also most of the SF5 newcomers are cool. Like Ed and Falke are the only real half baked ones, and even Falke at least has some fans. Ed probably would too if he had not had a shitload of problems that they slowly fixed. Probably still has some.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

Dishwasher posted:

With everyone going full anime or very exaggerated, going with a realistic look actually sets them apart.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dishwasher posted:

With everyone going full anime or very exaggerated, going with a realistic look actually sets them apart.

SF's biggest competition as 'the fighting game casual gamers know about and plays' are Tekken and whatever poo poo the MK team have poo poo out this year and this art style does not pull them apart from those two.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Man MK11 was fun as hell.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like zeku

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

chumbler posted:

Also most of the SF5 newcomers are cool. Like Ed and Falke are the only real half baked ones, and even Falke at least has some fans. Ed probably would too if he had not had a shitload of problems that they slowly fixed. Probably still has some.

I mean...Ed's theme is pretty catchy. I do like the idea of a psycho power swift boxer in the SF2 style that's functionally very different from the Rog and the Duds. Playing him though is...ehhhhhhhhhhh

deets
Apr 20, 2015

what the gently caress????

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Artelier posted:

I mean...Ed's theme is pretty catchy. I do like the idea of a psycho power swift boxer in the SF2 style that's functionally very different from the Rog and the Duds. Playing him though is...ehhhhhhhhhhh

The psycho pulls and such were also cool ideas, but like with Falke, they never really landed on a totally consistent identity and character for him. The up kick thing also looks terrible, surely they could've found a better animation. Falke ultimately fared better because she's got pretty strong neutral tools and combo damage, but she's just nothing as a memorable character outside of gameplay.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FANG is cool

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Illegal take

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

In Training posted:

FANG is cool

FANG is cool and I wish he'd been more popular or whatever to get him in another game.

His theme also rules.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Menat is incredible.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Sylvie's design is perfect.

this. kyary ftw

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Most of the SFV suck rear end. Particularly the ones that are supposed to play like the old characters but are completely new characters visually, those suck extra.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jack Trades posted:

Most of the SFV suck rear end. Particularly the ones that are supposed to play like the old characters but are completely new characters visually, those suck extra.

Then they sell you the costume you want like scumbags

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

The one I'll always agree with the sentiment on is Abigail, throw that weird pinhead gently caress in the trash and bring back the boy Hugo.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Overbite posted:

At least it's better than Street Fighter. Every character introduced in 4 and 5 is lame as heck. Just a bunch of bozos.

Barudak posted:

I just want C. Viper

Goons are a land of contrasts

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
I never want to see another blue eyed blonde character after kolin luke falke and Ed

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
SF5 was a mess. But they did support it well and cspxom had made some absolutely amazing games since then, really been on a roll.
So I'm optimistic about this new one!

This is the first one for decades without Ono too.

Reiley posted:

Simply put, Street Fighter is for the straights.
You think it's straight women thirsting over hot ryu and his dong?

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

I've never minded the design of Shun'Ei. I don't know much about his lore, but he always struck me as a teenager stretched way too thin with his responsibilities, and his outfit reflects that. Nice clothes for school, beads for temple, pant leg rolled up for part time job as bike courier, hand wraps for martial arts training, and of course headphones. He feels like a very busy design because he is a busy person, and it's not supposed to fit together. It's like the gig economy of characters.

His gameplay fits this pretty well too imo, hyper-mobile with unique movement options always rushing around everywhere.

I have no idea if any of this matches his lore.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

It's so weird to go 'SF5 dlc was worst than base' when it comes to designs, because SF5 base designs were garbage .

I don't even like SF5 all that much, but it's the game that gave us G, Akira, Zeku, Menat, Suit Urien, Hawaiian Shirt Oro, Blanka-Chan, Rose and Lion Mane Akuma. There are some great characters in that roster from a design and gameplay standpoint.

J.A.B.C. fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 22, 2022

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

The one I'll always agree with the sentiment on is Abigail, throw that weird pinhead gently caress in the trash and bring back the boy Hugo.

Abigail was the only DLC that made me reinstall the game for a month or so :-)

edit: I also bought the Hot Ryu skin back when that happened lol

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I cannot overstate how incredibly un-cool the Abigail design is compared to Hugo.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

J.A.B.C. posted:

It's so weird to go 'SF5 dlc was worst than base' when it comes to designs, because SF5 base designs were garbage .

I don't even like SF5 all that much, but it's the game that gave us G, Akira, Zeku, Menat, Suit Urien, Hawaiian Shirt Oro, Blanka-Chan, Rose and Lion Mane Akuma. There are some great characters in that roster from a design and gameplay standpoint.

Not so much Lion Akuma. Vastly prefer his original look.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Lion Akuma's look kinda grew on me after a bit.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
You mean, extreme neckbeard Akuma?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

This is Cursed

For SFV, I loved Menat, G, Zeku, and I have a soft spot for Falke though I also think her white story outfit should be her main design, and she should have more complex stuff like Venom in Guilty Gear. Necali is neat but story wise a huge dissapointment, and Rashid owns.

Kolin is fun to play and I like her coat

Abigail is a trash design and we could have had Sodom or Hugo

Ed's art makes him look smaller and wirey and more interesting, where as in-game he looks like a roided up Leon Kennedy

Luke is just meh to me at this point design wise

I will never forgive V for dumpstering my girl Juri though

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Feb 22, 2022

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
surprised no one mentioned Rashid as a good SFV addition, I remember everyone liking him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Will Wide Ryu be too hot for ESPN 12