Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It's hosed up the anime probably won't get to the best in-universe show unless they do a season 2.

True, but from what I'm seeing here and elsewhere, it's doing well enough that a Season 2 is very likely. And yes, I can't wait to see that part of the story animated.

In other developments, never skimp on the chocolate you make your monsters out of, lest you end up in Chocolate Boot Camp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Poor Melty, she just wanted to fight Blader but she's contaminated and we can't have that, even for monsters that are seriously less than 50% chocolate.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

The localizers are clearly have a fun time with this show, I've noticed it has a lot more slang and playing fast and loose with the localization than normal which is very fun.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
It's worth noting that Marin really does just talk like that. If anything, she uses even more slang and internet speak and stuff in the Japanese.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah thats not the product of the subs or anything she's just. like that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Colonel posted:

yeah thats not the product of the subs or anything she's just. like that.

Well, it is in that localising slang takes more effort than a dry, literal translation. They're rising to the challenge, which subbers often don't.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Darth Walrus posted:

Well, it is in that localising slang takes more effort than a dry, literal translation. They're rising to the challenge, which subbers often don't.
And yet Nagatoro was the one getting pushback for saying sus.

Is it because she has a tan? :thunk:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

And yet Nagatoro was the one getting pushback for saying sus.

Is it because she has a tan? :thunk:

:yikes:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's because Nagatoro is cheugy.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

From what people are saying, the keysmash subs are actually written to correspond to the sounds coming out of her mouth as well.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Waffleman_ posted:

From what people are saying, the keysmash subs are actually written to correspond to the sounds coming out of her mouth as well.
I was being flippant with the post up there, but I really do want to credit the translation team there for giving Marin a very distinct "voice". There's almost a codeswitch type thing when she goes full Otaku that's fun.

Contrasted to that, Goro is very stolid and reserved. I like how they play off each other.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The dub for Dress-Up Darling continues to be excellent as well. The Gojo actor is phenomenal.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

I was being flippant with the post up there, but I really do want to credit the translation team there for giving Marin a very distinct "voice". There's almost a codeswitch type thing when she goes full Otaku that's fun.

Yeah, for example, she generally was polite when directly addressing Gojou's grandfather (including this , which is the only real "wrong" translation I noticed), but instantly switches when talking to Gojou

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh it 100% sounds like a keysmash both times she does it.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Kwyndig posted:

Poor Melty, she just wanted to fight Blader but she's contaminated and we can't have that, even for monsters that are seriously less than 50% chocolate.

Sadly she lost half her power as soon as Valentine's day was over. But at least Blader finally got some chocolate out of the deal!

The Black Stones posted:

I thought Dress up Darling had one of its best episodes. It’s moved past the “I’m awkward because it’s a irl g-g-girl” phase and is now really getting into a “these people are awkward for fun reasons.” Like, yeah he still gets flustered she now does it back and it’s more on personal levels and that the show is doing a great job really showing how their relationship has changed. The whole situation with him in her house was great.

This show is probably the one I look forward too the most out of the week.

I definitely think a big part of what makes this show work is how it decreases the emphasis on Gojo being awkward because Marin's a girl and increases the emphasis on Marin being awkward because she's crushing hard. It creates a nice balance where you still get a good amount of (understandable) awkwardness without it feeling like it's beating a dead horse.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nemo2342 posted:

Sadly she lost half her power as soon as Valentine's day was over. But at least Blader finally got some chocolate out of the deal!

I definitely think a big part of what makes this show work is how it decreases the emphasis on Gojo being awkward because Marin's a girl and increases the emphasis on Marin being awkward because she's crushing hard. It creates a nice balance where you still get a good amount of (understandable) awkwardness without it feeling like it's beating a dead horse.

Wolf's crush on Kuroitsu is cute as well. Also I noticed that Marin spent most of the time shown during their house data looking at Gojo. It was a good touch.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Nemo2342 posted:

That he can't eat! Because they're contaminated. Big business cutting corners ruins it for everyone.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Leadale out here making dragon dick jokes. Nice.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Catching up on dress up darling. It was already kinda too much and then episode 6 rolls around why it gotta be like this

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Tabletops posted:

Catching up on dress up darling. It was already kinda too much and then episode 6 rolls around why it gotta be like this

Too much what exactly?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Tabletops posted:

after episodes like 2 and 5, have your expectations not been sufficiently set? it's a horny series.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

marumaru posted:

Too much what exactly?
the fully nude high schooler that looks younger than that?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Coaaab posted:

the fully nude high schooler that looks younger than that?

havent caught up yet but given how the show has been so far that doesnt surprise me in the slightest

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I really wish horny anime would start putting the characters in college instead of high school. It's not like american/western media never sexualizes teenagers but that does not make it better when "fully nude high schoolers" gets a "yeah I expected as much" and "you should have seen this coming after episodes 2 and 5" for random anime people enjoy #8 this season

marumaru
May 20, 2013

it's a very unfortunate cultural aspect of japanese culture. last time i talked about it in this subforum i got told off so i'll refrain from doing so this time around, but you can find a ton of (honestly interesting) reading about it online

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh boy, here we go

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
lol

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

I really wish horny anime would start putting the characters in college instead of high school. It's not like american/western media never sexualizes teenagers but that does not make it better when "fully nude high schoolers" gets a "yeah I expected as much" and "you should have seen this coming after episodes 2 and 5" for random anime people enjoy #8 this season

:hai:

marumaru posted:

it's a very unfortunate cultural aspect of japanese culture. last time i talked about it in this subforum i got told off so i'll refrain from doing so this time around, but you can find a ton of (honestly interesting) reading about it online

:blastu:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think we should start a change.orrg rpetition to fix japanese culture so there's no more weird fanservice in anime. we've let this go on long enough

marumaru
May 20, 2013

marumaru posted:

havent caught up yet but given how the show has been so far that doesnt surprise me in the slightest

i watched it and it didnt even register that strongly, pretty par for the course for this show. the anime desensitization is real
the measurements scene set the bar pretty high already, good thing the character interactions are so good that they make up for the horny booba moments

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Jaoan has gone to far

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I'm enjoying Giant Titty Vampire Academy but am somewhat put off by the excessive titties.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ninjewtsu posted:

Yeah. I've been mulling over this disconnect for a bit, but I ain't the one to post that thread or drive that discussion. As a westerner it's surprising when something as relatively low-key as Akebi's Sailor has the middle schooler bathing with the 6 year old. Real fine line between "I'm confronting my own cultural biases" and "this is normalizing something that's uncomfortable".

Meanwhile in Euphoria...

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 22, 2022

Gahmah
Nov 4, 2009

marumaru posted:

This is Porky's erasure

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah. I've been mulling over this disconnect for a bit, but I ain't the one to post that thread or drive that discussion. As a westerner it's surprising when something as relatively low-key as Akebi's Sailor has the middle schooler bathing with the 6 year old. Real fine line between "I'm confronting my own cultural biases" and "this is normalizing something that's uncomfortable".
that one actually is a cultural thing though, bathing together is super normal and bathing isnt really seen as a sexual thing. ofc its possible for the camera to frame it in a sexual way but if its just like, their heads poking out of the water yeah that aint normalizing anything.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Now feet, they'll get weird with girls' feet. Luckily they've been cooling off on that so far for the last 2 episodes.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Stink Billyums posted:

I'm enjoying Giant Titty Vampire Academy but am somewhat put off by the excessive titties.

To be clear it is not the titties that are the problem, but the high school that's the problem

The Colonel posted:

i think we should start a change.orrg rpetition to fix japanese culture so there's no more weird fanservice in anime. we've let this go on long enough

Much like when there are other problems in a show (be they with the visual direction, voice acting/sound design, or writing) just because we can not affect change does not mean we can't complain or potentially discuss a problem here, in the something awful subforum dedicated to talking about anime.

Personally, when I hear about an anime or am considering watching an anime, it makes me feel incredibly gross every time I have to ask myself "what exactly is my tolerance level for underaged sexualization?" This is not a question I must ask myself exclusively for anime (I've recently gotten into watching riverdale which has certainly brought the question up), but it comes up waaaaay more often, and seeing that tossed around casually seems like the point where it's worth bringing up in conversation. I'm not of the belief that watching anime or posting in adtrw makes someone a pedophile, but part of that is we really shouldn't just brush this kind of thing under the rug when it comes up.

At the same time, hopefully everyone here is aware that sexualizing high schoolers is gross (maybe I'll get some flack for this but imo, that includes if their character bio has the number 18 next to their age instead of 17 if it's still in a high school centric setting). Self flagellating over it every time wouldn't be a fun atmosphere to post in either, but I have no idea where the middle ground is that acknowledges this and doesn't normalize it while also treating everyone involved like adults who are aware of the content of their shows. I just know I've not been the most fond of how it's handled here, which admittedly is way better than other internet discussion forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

im just in awe at how consistent ousama ranking is. i was super surprised when i started watching it as a filler for my season, but dang it's so nice.