Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

VictualSquid posted:

From what I remember of the arguments, the current midweek event is exactly what the alchemy haters want historic to be. right?

Anyways, the usual advice: If you need budget historic just play mono-u tempo. People just resign when you play that second curiosity.

I forgot how brutally aggressive the cycling deck is, especially since a lot of people are running heavy discard decks in this queue :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

fridge corn posted:

First time drafting GW. Am I over or under valuing any of these cards?

I think generally you're overvaluing ramp a little, most of the ramp cards do not perform particularly well compared to just developing your board. Orochi Merge-Keeper in particular I would basically never play, it's pretty much a worse Careful Cultivation and that card isn't great either

Befriending the Moths is one of the less impressive sagas as well although it does work in some decks

Spinning Wheel Kick is great; Fang of Shigeki is its best friend but you have enough large creatures to make it work anyway

Bamboo Grove Archer is a card I rarely cut from green decks, it blocks so well early in the game, has enchantment synergies, and occasionally it can be a removal spell

You could also consider Repel the Vile and possibly Norika - Sunblade Samurai and Tales of Master Seshiro are both enchantments that attack as Samurai/Warriors

MarquisDeCarabas
Jun 16, 2012

fridge corn posted:

First time drafting GW. Am I over or under valuing any of these cards?

That looks like a great draft to me. As for the deck, I would swap out:

Commune With Spirits
Orochi Merge Keeper
Careful Cultivation
Grafted Growth

And add in (in order of preference)
Bamboo Grove Archer
Spinning Wheel Kick
Harmonious Emergence
Repel the Vile

I also don't think Bearer of Memory is particularly good but I tend to add one when I draft due to the fact I singlehandedly lost a game to one where my opponent was able to late game repeatedly pump it up with trample and wiped me out as I was unable to remove it. I've yet to have it pay off like they did but damnit if I don't keep trying.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Hammer Bro. posted:

It doesn't seem flashy on paper but it seems to get the job done pretty well.

I thought I was gonna get an L but I had a Hallowed Haunting out and I dropped a Spirited Companion which drew me another Spirited Companion which drew me some third enchantment thingy and suddenly I had vicious board presence again.
Yeah, it doesn't seem flashy on paper.

In practice, though, when you use Weaver of Harmony to double up Michiko's Reign of Truth and your opponent is suddenly staring down the barrel of a 19/19 with lifelink and insta-concedes, well, that's the kind of flashy I like.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Midweek is what Pioneer would be if they changed Pioneer to be Ix forward so they could have Pioneer on Arena/MTGO/paper line up without having to put in a bunch of cards or figure out how mindslaver works.

Or if they left Pioneer on MTGO and made an arena-only Pionearer.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I was listening to Limited Resources and they have upgraded their evaluation of Kami War and Brilliant Restoration...

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Thanks for the advice :)

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Huxley posted:

Pionearer.

I appreciate this

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

VictualSquid posted:

Anyways, the usual advice: If you need budget historic just play mono-u tempo. People just resign when you play that second curiosity.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm playing slightly better Standard Rogues in MWM and falling in love all over again. My third win involved having a triple Ruin Crab opener :swoon:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

welp time to jam mwm non stop to let the arena overlords know what I want

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Thinking about Simic reminded me of the meme Gates deck I had and I took it into Historic for a bit lol

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/4630211#arena
Any new tech for this since then?

4 Gatebreaker Ram
4 Gate Colossus
3 Archway Angel
2 Hydroid Krasis
4 Gates Ablaze
3 Guild Summit
3 Circuitous Route
3 Lava Coil
4 Growth Spiral
3 Negate
2 Mass Manipulation

2 Forest
4 Gruul Guildgate
4 Izzet Guildgate
4 Simic Guildgate
2 Boros Guildgate
2 Azorius Guildgate
4 Plaza of Harmony
3 Gateway Plaza
This deck in pioneer has had some decent results. I think all these cards are in historic, but power level on historic is much higher than pioneer.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Fritzler posted:

This deck in pioneer has had some decent results. I think all these cards are in historic, but power level on historic is much higher than pioneer.

rending volley, abrupt decay and bring to light are not, but you could probably sub those out in historic pretty easily for fry, assassin's trophy, and... uhh, idk, another expressive iteration? Or another escape to the wilds? The sideboard would probably need some tweaking anyway

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
addendum to my Golgari list:

when you Learn, don't be as basic as the players I'm facing in the mirror who keep Learning for Environmental Sciences

that's just doing it wrong. I always Learn for Basic Conjuration, Necrotic Fumes, or Mascot Exhibition. you have hobbits and Ghasts and Deadly Dispute, you don't need to waste time on that. Basic Conjuration heals you for 3 and finds your Witches, Fumes deals with poo poo, and Exhibition is obviously a great finisher

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Naya Runes is kind of bonkers. Somehow, before playing it, I missed that Jukai Naturalist and Rune-Forged Champion make runes free. It's basically Storm.

This list is fun, it gets some pretty crazy starts. (And a 4/5 lifelink dude will gently caress mono-red all day). I can't comment on sideboarding though - currently I'm on the best of 1 train. Maybe I can sneak Legion Angel in there somewhere, use my side board for something.

https://mtgazone.com/user-decks/thpv8qab6uakizxrifyu/
Deck
4 Generous Visitor
2 Kami of Transience
4 Jukai Naturalist
4 Runeforge Champion
3 Rune of Sustenance
3 Rune of Speed
4 Rune of Might
2 Michiko's Reign of Truth
4 Wedding Announcement
3 The Restoration of Eiganjo
4 Showdown of the Skalds
2 Forest
2 Plains
4 Needleverge Pathway
4 Cragcrown Pathway
4 Branchloft Pathway
1 Lair of the Hydra
4 Sundown Pass
1 Boseiju, Who Endures
1 Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire

Sideboard
2 Yasharn, Implacable Earth
1 Tamiyo's Safekeeping
2 Valorous Stance
1 Brilliant Restoration
2 Portable Hole
2 Curse of Silence
4 Circle of Confinement
1 Waking the Trolls

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Insurrectionist posted:

Hmm weird, I can't log into the game with my second account, it just says invalid account. But I can log into myaccounts.wizards just fine and can't find any indication of an issue or anything. Can also log into the game with my main account just fine.

Why have an alt on arena?

wei
Jul 27, 2006
More dailies for more drafts and camping top 1200 mythic on the main. I started one back when they gave out 3 free draft tokens.

Insurrectionist posted:

Hmm weird, I can't log into the game with my second account, it just says invalid account. But I can log into myaccounts.wizards just fine and can't find any indication of an issue or anything. Can also log into the game with my main account just fine.

My alt is working fine, maybe raise it with tech support?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Murmur Twin posted:

Hit Mythic with Mardu Anvil today; according to untapped.gg (which I only recently got and think is awesome) I went 61-27 with it since hitting Diamond which I'm pretty stoked with.

I posted this earlier but this version is way better - Spirit Sister's Call is bonkers in this deck and I can't believe I initially missed it.

In the early game, they're going to do a bunch of Eyetwitch / Shambling Ghast / Deadly Dispute stuff - let 'em. Basically you play this like a control vs. control matchup: gain card advantage early on with little things like playing lands off of Experimental Synthesizer whenever possible, using Deadly Dispute on their removal targets, and playing Smiths who must be dealt with but replace themselves. The goal is to get as many Anvils out as possible as quickly as possible, and generally speaking once they're out of gas you can set up a Dragonspark Reactor for the kill or set up recursion with Spirit Sister's Call (which is nuts with Anvil in play - you sac a 1/1 to get back any artifact or creature from the bin, which replaces itself with another 1/1).

They're going to sweep your board, probably multiple times. It's fine - your goal is to win with Anvil, you'll get more creatures. Blood Fountain getting back two Smiths is really good.

What you want to do is go after their win conditions. Save Portable Holes to exile Meathook Massacres and spider tokens from Lolth (which is great because you can then sac them guilt-free). Voltage Surge is for their planeswalkers. Rite of Oblivion for whatever bomb finishers they have (Tergrid, Prof. Onyx, etc).

This Spirit Sisters tech feels great, I somehow managed to outlast an Esper Control deck that played 5 planeswalkers lol. getting to reuse portable holes that killed tokens is great value

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

Am I getting too cute by putting Jugan in? I was thinking about jamming the second Shrine Steward in as well. Anything look like a good cut or am I better off without it?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/h0lydiva/status/1496233398238601219

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

I've done ten or so drafts, I'm not sure I've seen that many oaths total.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
I have been able to pick them up easily every draft I've been in white and always on the wheel.

edit: except my last draft.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

trophied in premium today for the first time ever! I had only drafted twice before and didn't get above 4 wins either time. just took a pile of GW Enchantments. got the green mythic dragon but didn't see it very often. I used the gems to buy a new draft and went 2-3 with what I thought was a much better deck-I got the 1UB planeswalker and an enormous pile of ninjas along with the black mythic dragon. i played against much, much better decks the second time and didn't draft enough removal.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Drafted a deck.
Game 1 I mulligan to 5. No one drop. My two drop gets Spell Pierced. My three drop get Essence Captured.
Motherfucker is playing a four(4) color deck and start of with two islands and that.

I won though so it's fine.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I've been on the draw 13 out of my last 14 matches.

Playing largely red aggro

:negative:

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

Wooper posted:

Drafted a deck.
Game 1 I mulligan to 5. No one drop. My two drop gets Spell Pierced. My three drop get Essence Captured.
Motherfucker is playing a four(4) color deck and start of with two islands and that.

I won though so it's fine.

Despite this ominous start I went 7-1 for my first draft trophy this set.

P1P2 Satsuki, kinda forcing sagas.

Notes:
* Satsuki didn't do nothing like I was afraid she would. Obviously very limited applications in limited. Thought she put two story counters on sagas like Storyweave but it's only one!
* Norika very good several times. Had two Subduers in the sideboard but didn't play them because samurais being bad. Imperial Oath samurais did bring some enchantments back from the yard.
* Teaching of the Kirin, idk what to say. It's obviously not a good card but it did clutch a couple of games actually. A 1/1 that puts a counter on a creature when it attacks! Wow!
* In the last game Lord Konda rotted in my hand for a billion turns and my opponent didn't play any cards with mana value above 3. It did kill a Kami of Industry eventually. Wouldn't recommend.

Last 5 minutes of the last game were pretty intense. Might upload.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Wooper posted:

* Teaching of the Kirin, idk what to say. It's obviously not a good card but it did clutch a couple of games actually. A 1/1 that puts a counter on a creature when it attacks! Wow!

The front side is a 2/2 for 2 that fills your graveyard for Season of Renewal, and the back side can chew up graveyards if it's not dealt with. Maybe it's not obvious that it's a good card, but it's a good card.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

imagine dungeons posted:

Am I getting too cute by putting Jugan in? I was thinking about jamming the second Shrine Steward in as well. Anything look like a good cut or am I better off without it?

Jugan seems like a good splash. I think I would want a second aura to play 2 Stewards. I think you can cut Befriending the Moths and Saiba Trespassers for Skyswimmer Koi and Mirrorshell Crab

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

2/3 games won in midweek magic off of my pile assembled almost purely from starter decks. They all had a much wide cardpool than me so I'm assuming people just aren't trying very hard.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think most everyone is just stealing decklists off MTGAZone rather than bothering to brew what may or may not end up a real format. It makes it tough to tell if it really is just a format of slightly upgraded old standard decks or if there's something else worth doing.

e: I'm enjoying revisiting upgraded Curious Obsession tempo, though I imagine it's just a worse version of rogues.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 23, 2022

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Huxley posted:

I think most everyone is just stealing decklists off MTGAZone rather than bothering to brew what may or may not end up a real format. It makes it tough to tell if it really is just a format of slightly upgraded old standard decks or if there's something else worth doing.

All of the decks I played against were last year's Throne of Eldraine standard decks during the event with almost no new cards

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Huxley posted:

e: I'm enjoying revisiting upgraded Curious Obsession tempo, though I imagine it's just a worse version of rogues.

It's a format that last two days, why would anyone bother putting effort beyond what it takes to get their three wins?

If (big if) it does become a real format, that's when I'd expect people to start brewing.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
WHat IS the pack that's on the cheap in the shop today? It just has the Arena symbol on a blue background, nothing else o_O

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I'm just playing crabs tutelage mill with a couple spell pierces and a patient rebuilding added :twisted:

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Has NEO shaken up the Historic meta at all? I've not had a lot of time to play recently, wondering if there's anything more fun or interesting than dusting off my Izzet Phoenix deck to knock out dailies.

MarquisDeCarabas
Jun 16, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

WHat IS the pack that's on the cheap in the shop today? It just has the Arena symbol on a blue background, nothing else o_O

I THINK it is just a random pack.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

thespaceinvader posted:

I bough it to see and got Kaldheim. I wonder if it's random or a display bug or what

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
e: I'm wrong.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

camoseven posted:

I bough it to see and got Kaldheim. I wonder if it's random or a display bug or what

I thought it was a random pack, but I also got Kaldheim so it might actually be a bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I got kaldheim as well, must be a bug

Lone Goat posted:

It's a format that last two days, why would anyone bother putting effort beyond what it takes to get their three wins?

hi