Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

Midjack posted:

Someone finally made it! :toot:

:toot:

Another inductee to the Old Ones thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

discoukulele posted:

Question, though - when we saw Londo and G'Kar's deaths in the time jump episode awhile back, Londo said that Centauri Prime had been destroyed because of Sheridan's 12-year campaign. Is the implication that Sheridan launched an attack because of the attempt on his son (the Keeper gift)? In this episode, someone mentions "the incident with his son".

Now you've seen the whole show, you can ask these questions in the TVIV thread. We'll be able to answer them in more detail and with less hesitation there, so pop across and join us.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jedit posted:

Now you've seen the whole show, you can ask these questions in the TVIV thread. We'll be able to answer them in more detail and with less hesitation there, so pop across and join us.

TVIV thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785889
This is the one with all spoilers all the time so if you're still watching through for the first time you may want to stay out of there.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Midjack posted:

TVIV thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785889
This is the one with all spoilers all the time so if you're still watching through for the first time you may want to stay out of there.

Don’t hold off if you’re worried about Crusade spoilers though because nobody talks about Crusade

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
Is there a DS9 blind watch thread? I wasn't able to find it. If not, I might start one if there's any interest ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

discoukulele posted:

Is there a DS9 blind watch thread? I wasn't able to find it. If not, I might start one if there's any interest ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm sure people from the star trek threads would be interested in reading it

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I stumbled on this thread and was inspired to watch, and I'm really glad I did. It's one of the last few big scifi shows I haven't seen yet and I'm in love. Not quite as much as I love TNG, or as strongly as I attached to SG-1 in my first viewing last year, but it's still got me up at 6am binging it :)

Just finished season 1, episode 10 "Believers" (as in, the titles are rolling right now lol), and while I really like the episode, I realised something -- most of these sci-fis have morals, hell, most of the bab5 episodes have some kind of moral, but I'm not even sure what this one would be. Maybe something like "You cannot take the authority of fate" or "Lol those hardcore religious types really are hosed up eh?" which doesn't really fit with the theme of the show !

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

alexandriao posted:

I stumbled on this thread and was inspired to watch, and I'm really glad I did. It's one of the last few big scifi shows I haven't seen yet and I'm in love. Not quite as much as I love TNG, or as strongly as I attached to SG-1 in my first viewing last year, but it's still got me up at 6am binging it :)

Just finished season 1, episode 10 "Believers" (as in, the titles are rolling right now lol), and while I really like the episode, I realised something -- most of these sci-fis have morals, hell, most of the bab5 episodes have some kind of moral, but I'm not even sure what this one would be. Maybe something like "You cannot take the authority of fate" or "Lol those hardcore religious types really are hosed up eh?" which doesn't really fit with the theme of the show !

The moral of the story in Believers is basically “this ain’t Star Trek kids”. Nothing about the resolution is clean, or simple, or satisfying. If it was a Trek episode (especially TNG) it’d’ve been all three. The point is to hammer home as hard as possible that “Babylon Five is a place where sometimes bad things happen for no good reason and that’s just how it is.”

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Chevy Slyme posted:

The moral of the story in Believers is basically “this ain’t Star Trek kids”. Nothing about the resolution is clean, or simple, or satisfying. If it was a Trek episode (especially TNG) it’d’ve been all three. The point is to hammer home as hard as possible that “Babylon Five is a place where sometimes bad things happen for no good reason and that’s just how it is.”

That's valid, and I can get why they would want to communicate that ("We're using the trappings of trek but please don't push us into the same wheelhouse") but I think the episode was a fair bit more satisfying than a fair few of Trek's. It went about as well as I'd expected from the beginning, the telegraphing was pretty clear, and the doctor's speech about being expected to be god, and this time, taking the authority was well framed overall

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I really liked episode nine's resolution where the Vorlons just swoop on in and blow up the immortal fucker up with a "hi, yeah you're not ready for that, bye now". Very satisfying and it surprised me how opposed I am to immortality. Like, maybe I would like to be immortal, but immortality for one is unfair and horrific. Immortality for everyone denies societal change and ensures fractionation and stagnation.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

N'Grath says :acab:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

alexandriao posted:

That's valid, and I can get why they would want to communicate that ("We're using the trappings of trek but please don't push us into the same wheelhouse") but I think the episode was a fair bit more satisfying than a fair few of Trek's. It went about as well as I'd expected from the beginning, the telegraphing was pretty clear, and the doctor's speech about being expected to be god, and this time, taking the authority was well framed overall

It's also an episode that establish that Franklin always consider himself to be in the right. He's not out of touch, it's the patients that are wrong.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Alhazred posted:

It's also an episode that establish that Franklin always consider himself to be in the right. He's not out of touch, it's the patients that are wrong.

More on the believers

Franklin is legally wrong. Is he morally right or wrong can be debated.
Factually he is correct and parents and their culture is poo poo, but it isn't our place to 'fix it'.
Alien species aren't subjects to human laws/morality when dealing with their own people. Which is a necessary for a neutral station to work.
Human alliance isn't USA and can't force their cultural values on aliens.

Aliens want to kill their young? As long as it doesn't disrupt the functioning of the station. :shrug:
Narns doing Narn things? Not our problem. Narns and Centauris having disagreement? That's a problem.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

alexandriao posted:

Just finished season 1, episode 10

My friend... have I got some good news for you.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
And so, the Old Thread gathers anew..

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

adhuin posted:

More on the believers

Factually he is correct and parents and their culture is poo poo, but it isn't our place to 'fix it'.

Is that true?

Either part.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Vitruvian Manic posted:

Is that true?

Either part.

They wanted a cure that didn't touch the body. So, yeah. Factually he was right, and they did want him to act like and perform the function of a minor god. They just didn't want to cede over that godly authority

Alhazred posted:

From my own (disabled) interactions with medical staff, I'm pretty sure most GPs have a god complex on some level or another, and given common representations of doctors in other science fiction shows, it's what the audience expects of their doctors somewhat, too. It's nice to see it made explicit.

Winifred Madgers posted:

My friend... have I got some good news for you.

I had tried to get into this before! The Trek thread just wouldn't shut up about it, so I pulled down the first three seasons and it just didn't take. Turns out, I needed to watch The Gathering first to get a grip on the characters. It didn't really work for me without that first episode !

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Now that's interesting, often people will say that The Gathering, being a pilot and also not very good, isn't strictly necessary. A lot of the relevant material is covered again, well enough, in S1 proper. But I'm glad it worked for you, and now you have very good things coming.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

alexandriao posted:

They wanted a cure that didn't touch the body. So, yeah. Factually he was right, and they did want him to act like and perform the function of a minor god. They just didn't want to cede over that godly authority

In episode 2 we see souls leaving a physical vessel when it is opened. So I'm not sure why, in universe, cutting someone open releasing their soul is an unreasonable (let alone straight up wrong) belief to have.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I just finished season 1. I hope that commander guy figures out what happens to him, that felt really sad that he almost had a chance to, but it was snatched away but lovely earthers :smith:. So far my favourite race is the Vorlons, barring Londo as a character. The Vorlons just going "haha gently caress you. nah ur not ready for that" or just generally being mysterious motherfuckers is played really well, and how can anyone not take delight in Londo? He acts it so well that it's contagious!

Not sure why season 2 is starting on a totally different dude. I forget sometimes that there's a year between these seasons back in the day, and so there was room to refresh people before picking up plot threads.

I liked a lot of these stories. Also, are the station port guard rails in E:D an deliberate callback to this show?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

alexandriao posted:

Not sure why season 2 is starting on a totally different dude.

Behind the scenes stuff. O'Hare was severely mentally ill and was barely able to keep it together in the first season. He had to leave the show to deal with that.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Grand Fromage posted:

Behind the scenes stuff. O'Hare was severely mentally ill and was barely able to keep it together in the first season. He had to leave the show to deal with that.

oh :smith:

I know I heard they had the entire story planned out in advance, how did that affect it?

edit: I just went over and read his Wikipedia page. drat. He was so loving good at it too. This show seems to have collected drat good actors with health problems.

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 22, 2022

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

alexandriao posted:

oh :smith:

I know I heard they had the entire story planned out in advance, how did that affect it?

This isn't really the thread for the heavy duty spoilers it would take to answer that question.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Ehhh, ok. I'll keep it on the backburner. I'll probably be finished with the show by next month so it's not a long wait :)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The vague but accurate answer is JMS knew that TV production involved things like actors leaving and when he planned out the show, he put in what he calls trap doors. Every character could be replaced if the actor left/got fired/whatever. The ones you can easily see in the show are the ambassadors--G'Kar, Londo, and Delenn all have aides because if any of them left, the aides could be promoted to ambassador.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

The vague but accurate answer is JMS knew that TV production involved things like actors leaving and when he planned out the show, he put in what he calls trap doors. Every character could be replaced if the actor left/got fired/whatever. The ones you can easily see in the show are the ambassadors--G'Kar, Londo, and Delenn all have aides because if any of them left, the aides could be promoted to ambassador.

While I haven't read the key book, I do wonder about trans Delenn becoming Lennier transitioning out of devotion to Delenn and doing a strange parody of a levirate marriage.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Absolutely not

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The hiatus is over -- my viewing partner is back in town and we're picking up with the start of season 3!

s03e01 - Matters of Honor
  • Kind of a generic episode title, but hey, they can't all be great.
  • So everyone saw the angel (or a variation on the theme from their own world and culture), but no one actually saw that the angel was Kosh. I guess that makes sense, everyone would have been looking up already when he shot into view.
  • Cool, I guess they let Ivanova do the intro voiceover this season.
  • "The Babylon Project was our last, best hope for peace. It failed." :drat:
  • Man, Garibaldi looks older all of a sudden.
  • I guess they rebuilt the Medlab set. Had to move soundstages or something?
  • So Londo's going to try to throw away Morden like a sack of moldy tangerines. Now. Welp, good luck with that. Can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding.
  • Was there any actual reason for Delenn and Lennier to meet the new guy in the seediest part of downbelow, or was it just an excuse for a fight scene?
  • Is Morden going to give Londo a copy of the galactic map with the lines of fire on it so he doesn't have to guess at exactly where the borders are?
  • In the first episode of the third season of the 1990s space station show, the writers introduce a cool-looking pocket warship (incorporating advanced technology provided by a species they've fought a war against in the past but are getting along with reasonably well for the moment) for the main characters to use, perhaps since it's proven inconvenient plot-wise for them to be station-bound all the time:

• Cool, the new ship has an IMAX dome.
  • So by blowing up the jump gate, did they just strand a bunch of grave-robbers? Will anyone be sending a hyperspace-capable rescue ship?
  • Not a great episode, but a pretty decent one.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

s03e01 - Matters of Honor
"The Babylon Project was our last, best hope for peace. It failed." :drat:

This is always hits me every time I rewatch.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CainFortea posted:

This is always hits me every time I rewatch.

dun dun DAAAAH
dun dun DAAAAH

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I never, ever skip the opening theme.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Vitruvian Manic posted:

DS9 is good but different -- more constrained and more Trek (with all the good and bad and baggage that entails).

If you are looking for a similar-but-different (albeit inferior) high to B5, I'd recommend Farscape. B5 is a solid dose of mushrooms. DS9 is a threshold dose LSD, a joint and a couple of beers. Farscape is a solid dose of 2C-B.

What's Lexx?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Habibi posted:

What's Lexx?

Fifty bucks, same as in town.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Habibi posted:

What's Lexx?

The show that gives a new meaning to 'toilet rim'

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

e: Oops, almost-blank post, sorry

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

s03e02 - Convictions
  • I like the Drazi. I was kind of expecting the joke about the humans always getting Bruschetta's name wrong to be an episode-long recurring gag, though.
  • WHY ARE THERE SO MANY CRATES IN DOWNBELOW? Who owns the stuff in these crates? Do they care about any of it? Why did they leave it all sitting in the corridors in the bad part of town?
  • Why is Ivanova so surprised that a small-ish group is coming to live on B5? It's a city of a quarter million people; there's a lot more going on than just working at the docks or being in the military. If the monks established a church and held public services, they might be able to get by at least partially just on tithes.
  • In fact, there's already a group of (probably-)monks on the station, the ones who sang the Gregorian chant for Sheridan in the crawlspace that one time.
  • That's a pleasantly ecumenical approach to alien religions. It also implies that they probably already get along fantastically with other human faiths.
  • Lennier! :ohdear:
  • Aww, Londo still has at least a scrap of his soul, sitting there at Lennier's bedside.
  • I like Brother Theo. Ssh. :ssh:
  • G'Kar does seem to end up in awkward elevator encounters with various Centauri, doesn't he?
  • If this was a Star Trek, G'Kar and Londo totally would have put their differences aside and worked together to escape. In a weird way, it's refreshing that G'Kar is willing to stick to his grudge.
  • His name is Robert Carlson. His name is Robert Carlson. His name is Robert Carlson.
  • I still don't really get what the scenery-chewing bad guy's motivation was. I guess he was just a psycho? :shrug:
  • This episode definitely started better than it ended. The whole religious theme it had going (pilgrims, blessings, monks, interfaith dialogues, random bombings) got lost somewhere in the middle.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

s03e02 - Convictions
WHY ARE THERE SO MANY CRATES IN DOWNBELOW? Who owns the stuff in these crates? Do they care about any of it? Why did they leave it all sitting in the corridors in the bad part of town?

I am pretty sure those are all empty containers that the lurkers took to use for themselves

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Extremely mild non-plot spoiler about Brother Theo relating to other religions: There is a later episode where he calls in some help from his God Squad buddies of a rabbi, a baptist minister, etc. It's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Vitruvian Manic posted:

If you are looking for a similar-but-different (albeit inferior) high to B5, I'd recommend Farscape.

Okay, we have to fight now. Nobody talks smack about my space muppets. :argh:

Seriously though, Farscape is very good but a much different vibe from B5. It's also a Jim Henson Company show, so the production value is really high, especially for the alien characters.

...And I'm going back to my non-interference. Everyone enjoy their blind watch! Except you. :catstare: