Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I still love Men in Tights, no I haven’t seen it in at least 20 years, and no I don’t plan to change that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It's still good imo. Better than Spaceballs, which is also still good imo

When Ridley Scott was making that bad robin hood movie with Russell Crowe, he said Men in Tights was the best robin hood movie of all time, and that hasn't changed

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

bitterandtwisted posted:

In good slashers I always root for the protagonists.
I only root for the killer in trash slashers, be it good trash (Jason X) or bad trash (TCM'22)

Yea there's just a general belief that a lot of people have about slashers that they are all the same hollow, cookie-cutter productions just thrown together for teens to laugh at a killer chopping people up in creative ways. And I get why that is, horror is a copycat genre and there were plenty of lazy slashers that were pumped out just to take advantage of the trend.

But that's not really the original idea with slashers, just an unintended byproduct of their success. The ones that are good always have at least that one protagonist that you're meant to root for, even if they're surrounded by assholes. The great ones have multiple characters that are likeable so that you are tense for the whole movie because you're rooting for them all to survive and you know most of them won't.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

flavor.flv posted:

When Ridley Scott was making that bad robin hood movie with Russell Crowe, he said Men in Tights was the best robin hood movie of all time, and that hasn't changed

The trick is that Robin Hood absolutely doesn't work taken seriously. It was never meant to be.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
" 'Ay Blinken!"
"Did you say Abe Lincoln?"

Is still one of my favorites. Same with Blinken and the braille playboy.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

The best Robin Hood movie is definitely the Disney movie.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The trick is that Robin Hood absolutely doesn't work taken seriously. It was never meant to be.

That's why Prince of Thieves works so well IMO , it knows exactly what it's doing. The only real misstep was having Costner even try an accent. When he gives up he gets much easier to listen to.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Men in Tights lands plenty of jokes IMO, they're just mixed in with a lot of stinkers. If you don't mind the really bad ones it's pretty entertaining, but it's easy to see how they could ruin it.

HopperUK posted:

That's why Prince of Thieves works so well IMO , it knows exactly what it's doing. The only real misstep was having Costner even try an accent. When he gives up he gets much easier to listen to.

Does it? I always thought it was mostly just Alan Rickman knowing exactly what it's doing

the holy poopacy has a new favorite as of 17:32 on Feb 22, 2022

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

flavor.flv posted:

It's just that Men in Tights couldn't exist without Prince of Thieves.

They even got Patstew to play the part of Sean Connery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr0hb0gc2eQ

Which is great because

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzXkbJwrN38

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPzVUGE3dds

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Bussamove posted:

I still love Men in Tights, no I haven’t seen it in at least 20 years, and no I don’t plan to change that.
I swear I remember a skit about someone showing some kind of American Pie spoof (called Springbreak at something-something High) to a friend or significant other, starting with "well this was more funny at the time" and progressively getting more and more embarassed the more dated comedy bits pop up. But I can't for the life of me find it anymore.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

That Italian Guy posted:

I swear I remember a skit about someone showing some kind of American Pie spoof (called Springbreak at something-something High) to a friend or significant other, starting with "well this was more funny at the time" and progressively getting more and more embarassed the more dated comedy bits pop up. But I can't for the life of me find it anymore.

Sex times at spring break high.

https://twitter.com/CBThorburn/status/1377696492295761923?s=20&t=JdjKBUfNslOCWzcbolPw3g

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Thank you!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
You just couldn't make a movie like Sex Times At Spring Break High today. Too many snowflakes.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

That Italian Guy posted:

I'm going to quote Lindsay Ellis and say that, in a world full of satire/critiques that are embraced by the people who should feel criticized by it - because it depicts them as unintentionally cool (see: American History X) - you know what you don't see Nazis appropriate?

Springtime for Hitler.

I've definitely seen alt-right people using 'don't be stupid, be a smartie' as a catchphrase

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Push El Burrito posted:

You just couldn't make a movie like Sex Times At Spring Break High today. Too many snowflakes.

Someone hasn't tried the adult section of Steam.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Push El Burrito posted:

My favourite bit is near the beginning where he gives the other party an out and offers to stop the movie, and they're just like "Nope, you made this mistake, I'm going to make you live with it."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

flavor.flv posted:

I would argue that Men in Tights were less silly than the last Robin Hood movie where they walked around in flak jackets. The movie also has an irritating movie moment: People walking around with their bows drawn like they're guns.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Tunicate posted:

I've definitely seen alt-right people using 'don't be stupid, be a smartie' as a catchphrase
People (especially nazis) are dumb. The fact that someone tried to use something from the Producers with a straight face doesn't make it cool; how many people are using that compared to something said/done by Derek Vinyard or Tyler Durden?

EDIT: also, holy poo poo, why is it always Edward Norton :v:

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Spaceballs is such an... odd film. It's a Star Wars parody that came out at a weird time- 1987, years after Return of the Jedi. It has no love of the source material or special insight into it, and Bill Pullman is just a big-rear end dud of a main character. For me, the only stuff about that flick that works at all involves Rick Moranis.

And speaking of Blazing Saddles, it's the subject of one of my absolute favorite bizarre TV edits. There's a scene in the movie where the sheriff says hi to an old lady, who responds with "Up yours, N-word!"

In the TV edit, she says "Out of my way, N-word!"

:thumbsup:

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
the guy in the combing the desert scene in spaceballs that yells "we ain't found poo poo" is tuvok from voyager :eng101:

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I caught the second half of Prince of Thieves at my parents' house some time ago, and it left me thinking that any "realistic" medieval movie will say more about the era is was made than the era it was set.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
There's a moment where there's all this crazy action going on and Little John manages to scramble his way to where his wife is sitting on a wall and she goes "Ello, my lover" all casual like they're at home and I probably think about it once a week.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I really like the kevin costner version. It wasn't totally serious like the bad russell crowe ones but I think it leaned in that direction and I thought it worked.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Name another movie where Morgan Freeman hurls a gigantic scimitar overhand to chop up an evil witch

Also the fanfare slaps

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I remember the toys having like, actual leather clothes. That was both neat and weird.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It's hard to do a funny parody of special effects heavy movies and Mel was not the man for it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I knew it!

I'm surrounded by assholes!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The excessively long star destroyer is pretty clever. Too bad it's close to being the first joke in the movie.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

That Italian Guy posted:

People (especially nazis) are dumb. The fact that someone tried to use something from the Producers with a straight face doesn't make it cool; how many people are using that compared to something said/done by Derek Vinyard or Tyler Durden?

EDIT: also, holy poo poo, why is it always Edward Norton :v:

They're not using it because they think it's cool :v:

They use it because they're dipshit millennials like everyone else and slathered in layers of irony. You can be a piece of poo poo and still be amused by things calling you a piece of poo poo. Look at how quick people were to adopt 'deplorables' and self identify as that.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Keromaru5 posted:

I caught the second half of Prince of Thieves at my parents' house some time ago, and it left me thinking that any "realistic" medieval movie will say more about the era is was made than the era it was set.

God, that just reminded me of the 2018 one what was pretty much just a modern war movie with a medieval reskin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMcUZSJ3xDY

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Push El Burrito posted:

That's why we need to remake Sexy Snowboard Bikini Babes from Miami. The snowflakes will fit right in.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The plot of Bob's Burgers s4e11 involves the family scrounging up and emptying their savings to find $3000 to air a local television commercial. During the Superbowl. In 2014.

For being a show that tries to be pretty grounded in its plots and scenarios if not its characters, it's just so absurd at first blush that it's honestly kinda annoying.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Spaceballs riffs on a lot more than Star Wars. Pretty sure there's Red Dwarf in there, and Transformers: The Movie.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Alien:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVZUVeMtYXc

apparently there's a wiki specifically for Spaceballs lmao

quote:

Planet of the Apes is parodied when Skroob, Dark Helmet, and Colonel Sandurz crash land in the remains of Mega Maid.
The Wizard of Oz is parodied in the scene where Lone Starr, Barf, Vespa, and Dot meet Yogurt. Princess Vespa is Dorothy, Dot Matrix the Tin Woodsman, Barf the Cowardly Lion and Lone Star the Scarecrow.
Krull
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Prince Valium is a parody of Prince Valiant
The Transformers is parodied when Spaceball 1 is revealed to be a Transformer, like Unicron.
Star Trek is parodied when President Skroob uses the teleporter. Furthermore, Snotty is an obvious parody of Scotty.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Rockman Reserve posted:

The plot of Bob's Burgers s4e11 involves the family scrounging up and emptying their savings to find $3000 to air a local television commercial. During the Superbowl. In 2014.

For being a show that tries to be pretty grounded in its plots and scenarios if not its characters, it's just so absurd at first blush that it's honestly kinda annoying.

You can get local superbowl ads which only screen in a small area.

I only found this out this year when some goons were talking about it in another thread.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Spaceballs riffs on a lot more than Star Wars. Pretty sure there's Red Dwarf in there, and Transformers: The Movie.

Which is why it's bad. It's doing exactly what the ZAZ movies deteriorated into, shotgun parodies of anything they could lay their hands on rather than a specific riff with tightly focused humour.

Oddly, though, the movies most like Spaceballs are the sequel trilogy. After all, Spaceballs is about what happens after you create a power vacuum.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Megillah Gorilla posted:

You can get local superbowl ads which only screen in a small area.

I only found this out this year when some goons were talking about it in another thread.

Local ads during the Superbowl are still in the millions of dollars - at least they are in touristy east-coast cities like the Belchers live in.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Red Dwarf was first broadcast the year after Spaceballs came out.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rascar Capac posted:

Red Dwarf was first broadcast the year after Spaceballs came out.

Well. Who was copying who?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Wasn’t there a story of Patrick Stewart catching an episode of Red Dwarf and, thinking it was ripping off a TNG episode, was about to call his lawyer until he actually sat down and watched it and ended up loving it? And it turned out the TNG episode was ripping off Red Dwarf?