Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth

WhyteRyce posted:

about a decade ago I was parked outside of some small kids amusement park. Some dude pulled up in his EV converted Geo Metro and double parked along side of me. His wife gets out and is moving the seat forward so her son could get out when the car immediately and silently starts rolling backwards. She was a few inches from getting slammed between my mirror and her car door. The dad finally realizes he should pull the parking brake. She then gets in the car and is laying into him. He angrily insists he did nothing wrong and that it was the cars fault.

Why were you parked outside of a small kids amusement park

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Snake Dance posted:

Why were you parked outside of a small kids amusement park

waiting for my family to come out….is what I told the officer

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

zegermans posted:

that dude that played chekov on the star trek reboot died between his jeep and his brick mailbox lmao

lol oh yeah that hosed up shifter that had no feedback and was just like a volume knob

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

zegermans posted:

that dude that played chekov on the star trek reboot died between his jeep and his brick mailbox lmao

Chrysler ate a lot of poo poo for making an electronic shifter designed so stupidly that you couldn't tell what gear the car was in.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rynn posted:

This is yet another stupid design/function decision. Like having the same stalk to disable FSD let you put the car into reverse, because you have to make sure you don’t push it the wrong way.

He should have pushed the button on the stalk that's easily visible in the second video to put it into park. This is just a dummy that caused an accident by being a moron. Whether your car is in Park or not is very obvious with the Model 3.

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

https://www.audacy.com/jackontheweb/latest/tesla-plans-to-throw-the-biggest-bbq-in-texas-history

quote:

Last year, Tesla went viral thanks to the massive “Giga-fest” they threw in Germany to celebrate the completion of their Berlin Gigafactory. However, with another Gigafactory currently being built in Austin, Elon Musk knew he had to throw an event that matches the “everything is bigger in Texas” motto. Musk recently took to Twitter to announce yet another Giga-fest and many are claiming it could end up being the largest BBQ in Texas history.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

well i hope they use electric smokers

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Dustcat posted:

well i hope they use electric smokers

I mean, it will be, it's Teslas.

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

With Musk’s track record of promises vs delivery, none of the BBQ will be there on that day and he’ll make an underling scramble to collect 1000 McRib sandwiches from all the McDonalds around Austin whether they’re selling them or not

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 380 days!

ATTN Kim Jong-Un, are you still up for nuking Austin TX

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Love the E. coli. Thank you Science Daddy.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

pitmaster musk is here cooking up a batch of his signature bbq sauce, but if you commit the transgression of putting any on your lithium smoked brisket, he'll have your house swatted

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Elon should try taking lithium instead of telling people to make car batteries out of it.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Yeah somehow I don't think it'll be the biggest bbq in Texas history, despite what "many are claiming"

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Fame Douglas posted:

He should have pushed the button on the stalk that's easily visible in the second video to put it into park. This is just a dummy that caused an accident by being a moron. Whether your car is in Park or not is very obvious with the Model 3.

all user input is error

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

can't wait to see a bunch of californians try to pull off a bbq

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Reminds me of one dummy poster on SA bragging about being able to just leave the car without putting it into park and turning it off, because it would do that automatically. I'd say if you don't take the five seconds to make sure your vehicle is secure, you're a bad driver that shouldn't have a license.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

can't help but picture zuckerberg turning up at that BBQ and walking around like an android with his bottle of sweet baby rays

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Sir Tonk posted:

You'll get Santa Maria tri-tip like it or lump it

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Sir Tonk posted:

I've seen what happens when New Englanders try to do BBQ, and it isn't pretty.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 380 days!

Sir Tonk posted:

"It's called jackfruit. You'll love it!"

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

Fame Douglas posted:

This unbelievably misses the point and I don't know whether you do this on purpose. There is absolutely no reason to have a single input for both changing gears and relinquishing control of the vehicle. They don't have poo poo like toe-operated turn signals integrated into the gas pedal for a reason.

The reason is that it's unsafe trash design :guillotine:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
human factors design: it's the user's fault

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Laopooh posted:

This unbelievably misses the point and I don't know whether you do this on purpose. There is absolutely no reason to have a single input for both changing gears and relinquishing control of the vehicle. They don't have poo poo like toe-operated turn signals integrated into the gas pedal for a reason.

The reason is that it's unsafe trash design :guillotine:

But it's not the same input at all? Nothing about it is unsafe in any way. You pull down the stalk twice to enable fancy adaptive cruise control, you push the button marked "P" to put the car into park. This is very obviously someone that shouldn't be driving a car at all. It's not ambiguous.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Fame Douglas posted:

This is very obviously someone that shouldn't be driving a car at all. It's not ambiguous.
they did get a tesla :hmmyes:

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

Fame Douglas posted:

But it's not the same input at all? Nothing about it is unsafe in any way. You pull down the stalk twice to enable fancy adaptive cruise control, you push the button marked "P" to put the car into park. This is very obviously someone that shouldn't be driving a car at all. It's not ambiguous.

The bottom line is that it is *not safe* and putting these two critical controls on the same stick is inherently unsafe. It provides zero upside other than to sate some c-level narcissism. It is less safe than other time-tested design options.

This is unbelievable. Using the turn signal switch to automatically change lanes when in FSD? In a car whose fine print says a driver must be on a constant state of alert when in FSD, using the same button for signal right and merge right doesn't account for a driver temporarily forgetting the current FSD state in a moment of inattentiveness. It's ridiculous and should be criminal.

Design can be elegant *and* account for safety.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Laopooh posted:

The bottom line is that it is *not safe* and putting these two critical controls on the same stick is inherently unsafe. It provides zero upside other than to sate some c-level narcissism. It is less safe than other time-tested design options.

This person didn't put their car in park. Nothing about the stalk is unsafe at all, and it's very easy to use. FSD wasn't responsible or relevant to this accident at all.

Just because you hate Musk with a passion doesn't mean you need to come up with all kinds of weird reasons why everything in a Tesla is supposedly the worst and unsafe.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

the driver is dumb for not actually putting the car in park but it’s also dumb to have an auto park feature that doesn’t work all the time and requires the user to check it it actually worked

WhyteRyce has issued a correction as of 01:20 on Feb 23, 2022

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Putting a car in park is basically the easiest thing imaginable and i can't conceive of why anyone would every think "auto park" is in any way necessary or desirable.

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Im driving one of those newish VW golfs that’s trying to teslaify its infotainment system (climate controls hidden behind a menu on the touchscreen levels of bullshit) but it has auto hold as a toggle and it’s wonderful. There’s a physical button for it. When it’s on, and you come to a stop, the car won’t creep it’ll just sit there until you press the throttle. It’s like the perfect behaviour. Also it either defaults to On or it just remembers whatever you had it set to last time, so no running myself over I guess.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
has musk weighed in on ukraine yet?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sir Tonk posted:

has musk weighed in on ukraine yet?

probably trying to copy and paste Cyrillic characters one at a time

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

WhyteRyce posted:

You'll get Santa Maria tri-tip like it or lump it

Hell yeah, throw on some salsa and get me a side of corn pie.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Fame Douglas posted:

This person didn't put their car in park. Nothing about the stalk is unsafe at all, and it's very easy to use. FSD wasn't responsible or relevant to this accident at all.

Just because you hate Musk with a passion doesn't mean you need to come up with all kinds of weird reasons why everything in a Tesla is supposedly the worst and unsafe.

It's a poorly designed human machine interface, you don't need to defend it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Fame Douglas posted:

to be clear, you understand that these two controls are on the same stick, yes?

I'm just trying to make absolutely certain that you're not misunderstanding what you're trying to defend

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

like,

...do you get it?

at a fundamental level, do, just, do you get that?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

If you give users a convenience feature that can be used unsafely it will be used unsafely because you've made a value judgment in your product that safety is unimportant

safe products actively attempt to dissuade unsafe user behavior and will sacrifice conveniences for this if necessary

speng31b has issued a correction as of 05:09 on Feb 23, 2022

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol forever that this idiot likes to call himself an engineer with his proud "safety third" nonsense

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the people who made therac-25 were engineers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

can't help but picture zuckerberg turning up at that BBQ and walking around like an android with his bottle of sweet baby rays

Such an amazing peek at how the rich simulate human life. $20,000 of bbq equipment and a nice bottle of brown corn syrup to provide flavor.