Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

zer0spunk posted:

So far the only real misstep has been that awful Netflix breaking bad movie so the BBverse gets cautious optimism from me.

Ok, it wasn't a groundbreaking triumph, but awful? C'mon dude, it felt just like a 2 hour special episode of more Breaking Bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Inspector 34 posted:

Holy poo poo how is that show not a comedy? That whole thing was like something out of Angie Tribeca. Might need to check out Line of Duty.

Ah, for people not in the UK that might not make sense.

The clip above is a parody clip (starring the actual cast) with the addition of a famous comedian (the lawyer) made to raise money in the annual Children in Need fundraiser.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Ahhhh... ok, I thought that was an actual clip from the show lol. Whatever the case, that was pretty fun. Will still probably watch the show at some point.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

grate deceiver posted:

I'm watching the uk crime drama Line of Duty, up to S3 of 6 now. gently caress, it's so good. Only 6 1-hour eps per season, which is perfect, because it's pretty much non stop tension, plot twists and schemes with zero boring filler. Each season tells a complete story from start to end, and then the next one builds on that and ups the stakes.

If you like UK crime drama, check out Unforgotten on Amazon Prime.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

WhiteHowler posted:

I'm about halfway through The Woman in the House (etc.) and enjoying it a ton, but I agree that so far there's been almost no comedy, other than Kristen Bell saying something awkward now and then.

Wow, that show had one of the dumbest endings I've ever seen. Still fun though, just don't think too hard about anything.

I'm now binging Murderville, which is also real dumb, but in a fun, intended way. The creators did a good job choosing guest stars, and the Marshawn Lynch episode is a particular treat.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

WhiteHowler posted:

Wow, that show had one of the dumbest endings I've ever seen. Still fun though, just don't think too hard about anything.

I'm now binging Murderville, which is also real dumb, but in a fun, intended way. The creators did a good job choosing guest stars, and the Marshawn Lynch episode is a particular treat.

It’s been maybe a week since I binged it and I can’t even remember the ending.

I started watching Dr. Death on Peacock and it’s ok. loving frightening that it actually happened and has a great cast (Kelsey grammar, Christian slater, Alec Baldwin)

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

nwin posted:

It’s been maybe a week since I binged it and I can’t even remember the ending.
The Woman in the House (etc.) ending spoiler:
The little girl did all the murders, because reasons. Kristen Bell's character either killed or gravely injured a nine-year-old, and her life went on as normal with no visible repercussions or trauma.

Other dumb stuff:
- Everyone in the show forgets everything anyone else says or does within five minutes. Drunken arguments? poo poo-talking people to their neighbors? Invading someone's home and holding them at knife-point? It's like it never happened.
- Anna's ex-husband was also her therapist and/or psychiatrist, and they magically get back together at the end.
- The handyman they'd hired to fix the mailbox more than a decade before was still there daily, fixing their mailbox. Also, he was a convicted murderer with severe mental illness.

I'm sure the writers were trying to set a theme or make a statement with that last one, but I have no idea what the intended message was. Nothing else in the show is as nonsensical as that detail.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm guessing you don't watch a lot of Lifetime original movies?

The super suspicious hulking manchild who's always hanging around for some reason is a classic archetype of the genre, as are pretty much all the other characters -- the entire show is a huge pisstake, and pretty much all your complaints are, IMO, some of the show's best features.

The final reveal and fight is genuinely incredibly loving funny -- it's up there with the original Child's Play film in terms of the sheer impossibility of the combat, except this isn't trying to play it straight at all. The idea that a child could kill her father and then loving send Kristen Bell in hand to hand combat is loving ludicrous, and the ridiculous coup de gras by casserole is sublime.

I thought the show was a movie concept that someone wrongheadedly mangled into being a series, but the bones are basically solid and fun.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Been watching The Gilded Age and can’t decide if I like it or not. Didn’t see a thread for it but I feel like it’s a lot more plodding than Downton Abbey was and not nearly as soapy, which was kinda what I was hoping for. It seems to be stuck between trying to be prestige TV and period piece schlock and not being very good at either.

Probably ride out the rest of the season and see how it sits with me as a whole, but there’s not a lot grabbing me yet.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Inspector 34 posted:

Holy poo poo how is that show not a comedy? That whole thing was like something out of Angie Tribeca. Might need to check out Line of Duty.

Haha, sadly the clip above was a charity skit they did. It's pretty similar to some of the actual scenes though.

e: missed a few posts for some reason

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 22, 2022

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

WhiteHowler posted:

The Woman in the House (etc.) ending spoiler:
The little girl did all the murders, because reasons. Kristen Bell's character either killed or gravely injured a nine-year-old, and her life went on as normal with no visible repercussions or trauma.

Other dumb stuff:
- Everyone in the show forgets everything anyone else says or does within five minutes. Drunken arguments? poo poo-talking people to their neighbors? Invading someone's home and holding them at knife-point? It's like it never happened.
- Anna's ex-husband was also her therapist and/or psychiatrist, and they magically get back together at the end.
- The handyman they'd hired to fix the mailbox more than a decade before was still there daily, fixing their mailbox. Also, he was a convicted murderer with severe mental illness.

I'm sure the writers were trying to set a theme or make a statement with that last one, but I have no idea what the intended message was. Nothing else in the show is as nonsensical as that detail.

Your first post mentioned comedy, so you clearly get it was a parody, so how did you completely forget that while writing this post?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Escobarbarian posted:

Your first post mentioned comedy, so you clearly get it was a parody, so how did you completely forget that while writing this post?

My first post mentioned that it doesn't come off as a comedy.

The problem is that I'm not sure the creators knew whether they were making a parody or not. There are certainly moments that appear to be references to horror and suspense tropes, but then most of the time the show seems to take itself completely seriously.

And even the parody parts (if that's what they are) don't seem particularly funny, other than in an "oh, I see what you're doing" sense.

Don't get me wrong -- I still had fun with it, and Kristen Bell is a national treasure. But I didn't find it to be a funny show, and it's real dumb without giving you the sense that it was intended to be quite that dumb.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

WhiteHowler posted:

The problem is that I'm not sure the creators knew whether they were making a parody or not.

They knew.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They absolutely knew.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I absolutely got the sense that it was intended and I thought it was funny. It did have the problem where it went for long stretches without any jokes (that I could notice), but all the ridiculous things you pointed out came across to me as very deliberate and many of them made me laugh. It's just that they're all played with extremely straight faces, like Police Squad and Angie Tribeca.

Like... come on, we find out that her daughter died because her dad took her to Take Your Daughter To Work Day while he was interviewing a serial killer cannibal named Massacre Mike

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I take issue with the repeated comparisons to Angie Tribeca and Police Squad!

You're right that they're background jokes but the sheer volume of jokes in those shows is a primary reason they're good. They'd be poo poo shows if you removed 90% of the jokes and just left the rest and that's what I felt like for this show

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I take issue with the repeated comparisons to Angie Tribeca and Police Squad!

You're right that they're background jokes but the sheer volume of jokes in those shows is a primary reason they're good. They'd be poo poo shows if you removed 90% of the jokes and just left the rest and that's what I felt like for this show

Yeah, it's this. The parody bits (like the ending and the Massacre Mike stuff would have landed a lot better with me if the parody vibe had been more consistent throughout the episodes. It doesn't have to be "Scary Movie" level or anything, but it's odd how much of the show seems like it's played completely straight.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
The jokes kind of sneak up on you. A lot of the voice-overs sounded reasonable until they keep going and going you realize the lines are just flat out ridiculous (much like the title).

We finished Around the World in 80 Days yesterday. I doubt it will make my top 10 list or anything but I really liked the adaptation of the story. There are a lot of changes and I have a hard time pointing to something that wasn't at the least neutral if not a straight-up improvement. Having 3 +/- co-equal characters rather than one boring dude and his manservant allows for more rich story telling and the main character actually completes a personal journey that's at least as transformative as the geographical one. The trio aren't totally out of place in the late 1800's but do represent a noticeably contemporary outlook. They still live in the racist, sexist and classist world of the original book but through their experience we see that society from a more contemporary viewpoint and have an easier time seeing them as admirable protagonists in today's landscape. I'm sure there are people who will find it too much of a radical re-write but for me it worked really well.

The puzzle-piecing rearrangement of plot elements of the original story into new places probably wasn't necessary but it works just fine. I wouldn't have noticed anything if I hadn't just reread the book, but it was actually pretty fun to recognize the parts of scenes that occurred in one place in the book and but came together in a different place in the show.

Probably the most contemporary things in the whole show are the Jules Verne Easter eggs that feel straight out of some MCU crossover.

I have no idea what's going to happen in season 2 but apparently the show runners are going to adapt Journey to the Center of the Earth as well.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

zer0spunk posted:

I thought it was as bad as the first season. It's actually impressive considering they added another showrunner with a bunch of credits I like on top of daniels who also has a ton of great credits, the cast they have, and what appears to be a decent budget thanks to carell/daniels. I'm betting this gets axed instead of coming back for another season.

I can't be the only one that went "so..'don't look up'?" at the premise of what season 3 would be

Of all the space comedies from 2020 that need a second season (avenue 5, moonbase 8) this was the one I wanted the least.

In shows I missed I just found out there's 3 seasons of minisodes from Better Call Saul that I didn't know existed, with a fourth coming, and 2 spin-offs (plus that final season) on the way. It's getting impossible to keep track of all of this.

I didn't think it was BAD.....but it is painfully mediocre. Way too much on-screen and behind the scenes talent for what they've managed. It's just a paint by the numbers workplace comedy that doesn't do anything particularly interesting. Just seems kind of lazy. And I rarely laugh.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.
upload season 2 coming in march on prime.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
I've recently finished Barry and absolutely loved it. The way it switches gears from Monty Python level absurdity to dark and real between two scenes is some of the best comedy mixed with drama I've seen.
For absurdity anything with Hank, for dark and real, Barry executing his ex-army buddy springs to mind.

I've started The After Party on Apple TV, I'm a big fan of Jamie Demetriou and really wanted to love this but it's falling a bit flat for me. Maybe I went in with the wrong expectations. From the write-ups I expected it to lampoon a different cinema genre each episode, but so far the parodies feel almost non-existent and it's just the same story told from different points of view with a hint of romance in one, or a hint of action in another.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Where the gently caress is the new season of Barry

:mad:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Collapsing Farts posted:

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Ah, to be able to watch Line of Duty for the first time again. Absolutely love that show.

Just finished Archive 81. I was really into it for maybe the first 5 episodes. It just didn't quite stick the landing for me after the big reveals.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Collapsing Farts posted:

Coming in April. They’re filming season 3 and 4 together too.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Watched the entire first....and am a couple episodes into the second season of 'For All Mankind'. It's so good. With all respect to 'Ted Lasso'.....'For All Mankind' is Apple TV's best offering thus far. Just great.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

RestingB1tchFace posted:

'For All Mankind' is Apple TV's best offering thus far. Just great.
It really is. I didn't see a dip in season 2 either, so you have a treat still to enjoy.

Sounds funny to call it binging, as I rarely watched more than one episode in a day, and even took longer breaks between seasons, but I just finished the fourth and final season of Halt and Catch Fire. Have to say, I love, love, loved it. I feel that I was stretching it out knowing the definitive end date, so I just wanted to enjoy it as much as I could.

I was pointed to the show from multiple goon recommendations, so I was surprised to see that the real-time threads were largely negative about the show (looks like the last season didn't even get its own thread). Maybe it does hold up better when you can watch the whole thing in a compressed timeframe. I can't say whether there were peaks and dips because I just drank it all in with relish.

There was a debate (I think in another thread) about whether weekly releases or whole season drops are better. I like to binge or semi-binge shows, but I love to read along with forum threads. Even months or years after the shows have aired. When a whole season drops, the threads are so disjointed and filled with spoiler tags (and most people are bad at properly marking what a spoiler tag pertains to) that it ruins the fun for me.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I still think about the last few episodes of Halt and Catch Fire, long after watching it.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Yeah, same. HACF has a perfect ending. Easily one of my top 5 shows ever and it made me a new fan of everyone involved if I wasn't already

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, those last 2 scenes were probably my favorite show ending, all time. The scene with Joe was intended to have Take Me Home by Phil Collins as the music track, and someone did a fanmade cut of it. It's incredible.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

WhiteHowler posted:

My first post mentioned that it doesn't come off as a comedy.

It doesn't come off as a funny comedy in my opinion, but I can't imagine someone not recognizing that it was a comedy.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Take Me Home by Phil Collins as the music track, and someone did a fanmade cut of it. It's incredible.

Thanks for letting me know about that -- yes, it's great (SPOILER: end of Halt and Catch Fire):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmv39bPl1kc

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
love that edit, but the scene is still perfect without it.

"I have an idea" gives me chills and a big smile every time I see it, as does Joe's final line.

goddamn I love that show so much

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

isaboo posted:

as does Joe's final line.

Caught on a re-watch with my wife that this mirrors Joe's first line in the series, when he's giving that talk to college kids.

It's such a beautiful bookend to the story, and to Joe's arc.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

It really is. I didn't see a dip in season 2 either, so you have a treat still to enjoy.

Sounds funny to call it binging, as I rarely watched more than one episode in a day, and even took longer breaks between seasons, but I just finished the fourth and final season of Halt and Catch Fire. Have to say, I love, love, loved it. I feel that I was stretching it out knowing the definitive end date, so I just wanted to enjoy it as much as I could.

I was pointed to the show from multiple goon recommendations, so I was surprised to see that the real-time threads were largely negative about the show (looks like the last season didn't even get its own thread). Maybe it does hold up better when you can watch the whole thing in a compressed timeframe. I can't say whether there were peaks and dips because I just drank it all in with relish.

There was a debate (I think in another thread) about whether weekly releases or whole season drops are better. I like to binge or semi-binge shows, but I love to read along with forum threads. Even months or years after the shows have aired. When a whole season drops, the threads are so disjointed and filled with spoiler tags (and most people are bad at properly marking what a spoiler tag pertains to) that it ruins the fun for me.

HACF is an excellent show too.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Caught on a re-watch with my wife that this mirrors Joe's first line in the series, when he's giving that talk to college kids.

It's such a beautiful bookend to the story, and to Joe's arc.

yeah. I've watched that clip 4 times since I posted and it STILL gives me the warm fuzzies. Donna's realization and Cameron's smile just kill me. It's perfect.

And Joe didn't run over anything!

edit: I've said before I think For All Mankind hits a lot of the same beats as HACF.
- It seems to be getting better as it goes along
- It's alt-history of a cool and interesting industry
- Character driven with very strong women in lead roles
- Comedy, wtf moments, and very sad and genuinely tear inducing
- Fantastic soundtrack
- Great hair style and wardrobe changes through time - Cameron's hair in HACF especially

So if you like one of these shows and haven't seen the other, give it a shot.

(Also I think Mad Men might be comparable here, but I don't know because I've never seen more than the first 4 episodes. I know, I know.)

isaboo fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 27, 2022

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I loved The Woman in the House... but that may be because I watch a LOT of that type of show/read a lot of the books they're based on so I really appreciated how incredibly detailed it was at including the ridiculous stuff that's always in these shows and slowly, slowly amping up the absurdity. It felt like it was made specifically for lovers of the genre, and if you're outside that you won't find it as funny.

Although, I dunno how you can get to the last episode with Kristen Bell slamming a nine-year-old through a table and not be laughing the whole way through.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Selachian posted:

I'm up to season 4 of Community, and annoyed with myself for missing out on this when it was new. This is the point where they're just shamelessly making excuses to exclude Chevy Chase from everything, which makes it even more amusing.

At least I now know where the "This better not awaken anything in me" and "Donald Glover carrying a stack of pizzas into a flaming room" memes came from.

Argue posted:

If you're watching on Netflix, mind you they removed the funniest ep of season 2 (and one of the best of the series) due to... a poorly thought out joke, so you should look that one up.

Armauk posted:

The episode is called Advanced Dungeons & Dragons.

Escobarbarian posted:

I really wish someone at Sony or whatever would put the effort in to just remove the Chang scenes so it can go back up. You would lose nothing

The episode is on Amazon prime weirdly enough. And yeah she’s only in the show the first 5 minutes or so.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Speaking of Halt and Catch Fire it looks like Kerry Bishe is in another tech industry drama

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNn8YJYAyEo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I'm rewatching House and the knock-off Smassive Smattack theme song Amazon uses for rebroadcast is bumming me out.