Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

BabyRyoga posted:

I torn on if I should get the PC version or the ps5 version.

Seems like the ps5 version would be the better "now" choice, but I must say that I do love to dabble in mods to make games i've already played feel fresh further down the line.
I'm going through the same thing, with Series X. My gut feeling is to double dip by playing on console now, then picking up the eventual game + DLC bundle on PC in a few years for cheap when everything is smoothed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Shoehead posted:

He's Mattie L, duh

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

if these so-called "video game journalists" had any integrity they'd copy paste a cyberpunk 2077 review from launch with just enough words replaced to make it sound like an elden ring review

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

ZeeBoi posted:

there's an optional tutorial dungeon that I'm sure people will have a normal one about

https://www.ign.com/articles/elden-ring-tutorial-cave-of-knowledge-fromsoftware-best

Gonna end up accidentally skipping this and having to find out basic fundamental mechanics at NG + 3

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Ulio posted:

https://twitter.com/Jacksepticeye/status/1496501427979657219

I am avoiding the video reviews but I saw a few glimpses man this game looks insane, it looks like they barely showed anything in the previews. There is so much cool stuff in the open world and different kind of settings.

they do this every time it owns, they show a very small slice of the game and then everyone is like "bloodborne looks good but its all just yharnam and fighting beasts, wait what the gently caress????"

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Holy poo poo the 10/10 reviews

I am so loving excited

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm now casting a worried look at my aging PC. I'll still play it no matter what because, you know, Elden Ring, but it's gonna suck if the performance is truly bad enough to tarnish the experience.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Communist Thoughts posted:

they do this every time it owns, they show a very small slice of the game and then everyone is like "bloodborne looks good but its all just yharnam and fighting beasts, wait what the gently caress????"

Find the first Blue Alien dude hanging out in the forest was such a good, out of nowhere hint that poo poo is about to get weird and I absolutely love when poo poo gets 3rd act left-field weird

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Ohhhhhhhh Elden Ring.

It should be tomorrow night now!

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Hell yeah, just got my fanatical key!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Horizon Zero Dawn came out and got really good reviews then Breath of the Wild was released shortly after.

Horizon Forbidden West came out and got really good reviews then Elden was released shortly after.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Ah poo poo, I'm getting this on PC. :rip:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Iron Pineapple made me precum. Holy gently caress. The armor is medieval as gently caress. The weapon variety is through the loving roof. Blocking poo poo is now almost as good as parrying. Wow. Tons to do. I am so loving ready.

GOD YES! ASCENSION IS HERE! I AM WHOLE ONCE AGAIN!!!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I genuinely hope my GtX 970 can squeak through for me on this, I have 32 gig of ram and an i7 so please for the love of god just give me one more good game experience before I have to upgrade please

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Azran posted:

Ah poo poo, I'm getting this on PC. :rip:

DW there is a day one patch on release. Digital Foundry is waiting for that to do a video I think.

For now...

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ZeeBoi posted:

there's an optional tutorial dungeon that I'm sure people will have a normal one about

https://www.ign.com/articles/elden-ring-tutorial-cave-of-knowledge-fromsoftware-best

The optional tutorial mini-dungeons in DS2 are one of the few things I can't complain about with that game. If you really, really need that dagger and that one consumable and want to light up all the torches then sure, go for it, but you can just leave. I mean, it doesn't build up the setting and the tone like the Asylum does, but it also doesn't kinda waste your time like Cemetary so.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Al-Saqr posted:

I genuinely hope my GtX 970 can squeak through for me on this, I have 32 gig of ram and an i7 so please for the love of god just give me one more good game experience before I have to upgrade please

you should be fine, shame the game is getting 3/10 ratings across the board

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Did not think it was possible to be more excited for this video gaming endeavor.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
oof i have avoided hype so far but mannnnnn it is getting hard to wait! Really glad to hear reviews are positive and the Playstation performance seems adequate. My PC is becoming a potato.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Fextralife review says it might be the game of the decade and they gave it a 9.5, they are kinda of a Souls channel but usually reviews are good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQPfngWUrXk

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

:derp:

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar
yes hello, id like to order one of your oldest rings please

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

Ulio posted:

DW there is a day one patch on release. Digital Foundry is waiting for that to do a video I think.

For now...

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
This is my favorite line from a review, from the Washington Post:

quote:

Before writing this review, I stumbled upon yet another part of the world that I had previously believed empty. “There’s nothing that could be there. It makes no sense. It’s impossible," I thought to myself. Even if I’m beginning to get a good grasp of the landscape, I haven’t even seen what may be above, or below, what I’ve already explored.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/reviews/elden-ring-review/

I'm really curious to see what that could mean.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Looks like my brief worry that they fell into the 'really big but empty af' trap was unfounded. According to everyone the game is still dense as *gently caress*.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

gently caress ME i cant FUCKEN wait

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

tote up a bags posted:

O ELDEN RING

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

tote up a bags posted:

OOOOOOHHH

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The scores actually have me a bit worried, it almost smells like "we're high on hype fumes and will ignore issues that would knock off ten points on less hyped games"

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Everything we ever wanted

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Everyone complained about the Chalice Dungeons in Bloodbourne but (mostly) Ioved 'em. So the repetitiveness probably won't bother me. Love a dungeon crawl. Can't wait to go under the earth for battle and treasure.

I liked the first two and the last three, but hated the 65 dungeons in between.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

William Bear posted:

This was a big thing in the Iron Pineapple review. They would go explore and would be like, "no way they put something out here". Lo and behold there's treasure and things to do.

Dense as gently caress.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ymgve posted:

The scores actually have me a bit worried, it almost smells like "we're high on hype fumes and will ignore issues that would knock off ten points on less hyped games"

Considering they mostly do that for games that really really want to be movies I don't think there's much to worry about here.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/nibellion/status/1496503863091896326?s=21

Holy poo poo

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

William Bear posted:

Skill up review says that the game actively uses the landscape to hide things from you, you just keep finding poo poo if you keep looking

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

ymgve posted:

I agree, I think expectations will be really high even though it was already high even before reviews. That being said I think most souls fan just want big dark souls which this seems to accomplish.

I've read people saying it has some of the hardest/best bosses in the series and the world has so much to explore. That should be enough for any souls fan.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Spent a lot of time with sick kids today, here's hoping (that I get sick so I can not go to work and instead game a lot)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Vintersorg posted:

This was a big thing in the Iron Pineapple review. They would go explore and would be like, "no way they put something out here". Lo and behold there's treasure and things to do.

Dense as gently caress.

In the network test, I felt a bit opposite - there was definitely lots of stuff hidden around, but some things that I felt should have some loot, like some of the giant pieces of walls strewn around the map, only had a few "ruin fragment" crafting resources.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I am going INSANE waiting for friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I wonder what the Elden Ring equivalent of Korok seeks will be