Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

History Comes Inside! posted:

It could be worse, late 90s/Early 00s britwres was wall to wall with even less imaginative WWE ‘tribute’ gimmicks.

Some shows skipped over the tribute part and just straight up advertised it as if it was the real deal.
I went to a date on this tour as it was the only time wrestling was going to come to my hometown. Yes, that poster is exactly how they looked.

There was a hardcore match and a bunch of small children rushed the ring and started playing with the weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I saw live wrestling in the British coastal town of Skegness. The high spot of the night was an over-the-shoulder back breaker. Nobody was pretending to be Kane but there was a fat white guy doing yellowface

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I saw live wrestling when I was a child in Bultin's and they told us we could cheer and boo how we liked and some American wrestler came out to Real American and we all cheered this nice overseas visitor only for him to cut a promo on how stupid and ugly we were and that's how I learned Americans are bad.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

keithy george posted:

There was a hardcore match and a bunch of small children rushed the ring and started playing with the weapons.

Keep laughing at this

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Benne posted:

Also every 2000s indie had a lovely Undertaker ripoff, almost like they were required to by law.

I feel like there were loads of Kane rip-offs as well. I’m struggling to remember many though.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kane Dewey

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Is Sid the unintentionally funniest wrestler to have ever lived?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

civilwhat posted:

Thats the match with Jinsei Shinzaki after the Great Muta killed him a year earlier.

quote:

In October 1997, the Hakushi character was brought up to go against WWF's "Dead Man" The Undertaker. Hakushi was now an undead as well due to having been "killed" in his match with Muta, and was introduced in a coffin by an entourage of Japanese traditional pallbearers, showing in his clothes the same blood stains he had got in said match. He faced Undertaker, but was defeated after a Tombstone Piledriver and entombed in the mountains of Tohoku.

Wrestling, baby.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I saw live wrestling when I was a child in Bultin's and they told us we could cheer and boo how we liked and some American wrestler came out to Real American and we all cheered this nice overseas visitor only for him to cut a promo on how stupid and ugly we were and that's how I learned Americans are bad.

Bryan Danielson did those tours back in like 2000 under the American Dragon name so depending how old you are I really hope it was him.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Speaking as an American, it's good you learned it so early.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Run Dodo Run posted:

Bryan Danielson did those tours back in like 2000 under the American Dragon name so depending how old you are I really hope it was him.

But Danny Bandana seems like such a nice boy!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Is Sid the unintentionally funniest wrestler to have ever lived?

I would give it my vote.

- Squeegee.
- S-I-M-P: Squirrels in my pants!
- We're live, pal!
- Being part of one of the worst matches ever with the Nighstalker.
- TWENTY TWO?!
- The inexplicable fake Goldberg streak.
- The scissors promo.
- I don't know poo poo, crybaby!
- Shaving cream to the face during his barbershop rampage.
- Hogan being a gigantic baby at the Royal Rumble and WWF's insistence that Sid was the heel.
- That time when Hogan called him back to the ring at the end of SummerSlam 91 and a nervous Sid peaked through the curtain, with Piper commentating that he looked like the Grim Reaper.
- Horrible as it was, everything going on around his nasty leg break was ridiculous.
- Half the brain.
- Said to have poo poo himself in a match with the Undertaker.
- I SAID THE SCISSORS PROMO!
- Screaming his head off at both RoboCop and the Shockmaster.
- Having his own Christmas carol.
- Those movie segments he did with Vader.
- Broke Vince by getting more cheers than Michaels at MSG.

Somehow the man only had two WrestleMania matches and they were both the main events. God bless Sid.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Gavok posted:

Somehow the man only had two WrestleMania matches and they were both the main events. God bless Sid.

And as we discussed recently a 5 star match awardee

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Remember when Sid was about to debut in WWF and everyone was cutting promos like, "well I think he's going to be MY friend!" "Actually, he's going to join OUR tag team!"

Was that weird or what

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
TWENTY TWO?!

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Sid coming out after matches to murder jobbers and then adding them to his streak was great.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MrBling posted:

Sid coming out after matches to murder jobbers and then adding them to his streak was great.

Rob Naylor calls Sid 'King of the Wimpy Matches' because he was so good at it. I genuinely think there's a place in wrestling for people like Sid. From what I gather, Sid's ambition in wrestling was satisfied main eventing the Mid-South Coliseum and didn't really care about anything after so it would have been interesting to watch his career if that was not the case.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Gavok posted:

I would give it my vote.

- Squeegee.
- S-I-M-P: Squirrels in my pants!
- We're live, pal!
- Being part of one of the worst matches ever with the Nighstalker.
- TWENTY TWO?!
- The inexplicable fake Goldberg streak.
- The scissors promo.
- I don't know poo poo, crybaby!
- Shaving cream to the face during his barbershop rampage.
- Hogan being a gigantic baby at the Royal Rumble and WWF's insistence that Sid was the heel.
- That time when Hogan called him back to the ring at the end of SummerSlam 91 and a nervous Sid peaked through the curtain, with Piper commentating that he looked like the Grim Reaper.
- Horrible as it was, everything going on around his nasty leg break was ridiculous.
- Half the brain.
- Said to have poo poo himself in a match with the Undertaker.
- I SAID THE SCISSORS PROMO!
- Screaming his head off at both RoboCop and the Shockmaster.
- Having his own Christmas carol.
- Those movie segments he did with Vader.
- Broke Vince by getting more cheers than Michaels at MSG.

"We're live, pal!"

I think he was also part of the bizarre vignettes where the heels tried to blow up Sting and the British Bulldog.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

He used to live-tweet Raw and called Miz "the Jizz."

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The Memphis hype video for Freddy was certainly something https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yTN80G3q1FY

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The Memphis hype video for Freddy was certainly something https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yTN80G3q1FY

Love the first thing you see is Dustin Rhodes

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Go Team Venture.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Remember when Sid was about to debut in WWF and everyone was cutting promos like, "well I think he's going to be MY friend!" "Actually, he's going to join OUR tag team!"

Was that weird or what

The only part of this I remember was the Natural Disasters claiming he was going to join them as "Volcano", which would've been hilarious.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FmFYKtg-fA

Here is the compilation including the idea of the 3rd Disaster.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Christ it's a hundred times weirder than I remember.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

jim duggan was on the harry and the hendersons tv show. what are some more obscure pro wrestler cameos or bit parts in media that you can post? From your memory or 2 hours searching.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Rusty Shackelford posted:

The music gives this a slight Twin Peaks vibe. I'm into it.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Cavauro posted:

jim duggan was on the harry and the hendersons tv show. what are some more obscure pro wrestler cameos or bit parts in media that you can post? From your memory or 2 hours searching.

Paul Levesque as the spokeswrestler for Buzz Beer

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Cavauro posted:

Maybe not a true cameo, but Walter Mathau is watching WCW In Grumpy Old Men. I think it's the Nasty Boys? I always get a kick when wrestling happens to be on TV in a movie or show.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Lex Luger was on the old Superboy show back in the late 80s.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Cavauro posted:

Vader in Boy Meets World is maybe my favorite, but I'm also partial to the Bushwhackers turning up in Family Matters.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

One that stuck with me was Randy Savage on an obscure WB sitcom called Nikki about a showgirl married to an indie wrestler. Savage played another indie wrestler who was considered a legend in his circle, but never hit the big time and was instead depicted as a broken down failure who could barely make ends meet.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
There was an episode of the late 90s Love Boat revival where Kevin Nash and Goldberg beat the poo poo out of each other.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Paul Levesque as the spokeswrestler for Buzz Beer

The Disciplinarian

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Whatever bret hart match was in the Malcolm in the Middle intro

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ganso Bomb posted:

Maybe not a true cameo, but Walter Mathau is watching WCW In Grumpy Old Men. I think it's the Nasty Boys? I always get a kick when wrestling happens to be on TV in a movie or show.

On House, House figures out that something is transmitted via sweat watching a Christian and Abyss match.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

projecthalaxy posted:

Whatever bret hart match was in the Malcolm in the Middle intro

Wasn't the the B*noit Owen Hart tribute match?

Also, King Kong Bundy showing up as a member of the Bundy family in Married with Children.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Does this serve a purpose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

titties posted:

Does this serve a purpose?

When Chris Benoit namesearches on this forum, that post won't come up.